We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Hannah
Savvy October 2020

Bridal body image

Hannah, on September 22, 2020 at 8:37 AM

Posted in Fitness and Health 29

I am constantly seeing photos like this all over social media and it’s making me feel bad about myself. I’ve been dieting and working out and I need to accept that I will never look like this but I’m having a hard time with it. Can anyone else relate?
I am constantly seeing photos like this all over social media and it’s making me feel bad about myself. I’ve been dieting and working out and I need to accept that I will never look like this but I’m having a hard time with it. Can anyone else relate? cfb_1427371.jpg
cfb_1427373.jpg

cfb_1427375.jpg

29 Comments

• Katelyn
    Savvy May 2021
    Katelyn ·
    • Flag

I am feeling this same way! I had my minimony and I LOVED the way I felt and looked during that and now that I'm trying to find my dress for the big wedding next year, I'm having such body insecurity. I did hardcore bootcamps 5 nights a week leading up to minimony and calorie counted as well, only cheating a few times. I did a shot of ACV in the am and of course, it was warmer out, so I was even more active. But I'm sort of letting myself live right now and still staying active but only bootcamp twice a week and then a run...and i'm hating how I look in every dress Smiley sad

I am so quick to give the body positivity talk to my friends but can't take my own advice. I admitted this to myself today and am going to make this my goal, but also try to stay off of social media because I find myself comparing myself to models but also some of my friends.

• Shelly
    Devoted January 2022
    Shelly ·
    • Flag

Giiiirl SAME BOAT. I danced growing up and was very active, so I've accepted the fact that I won't have a tiny waste, hips, or thighs. Remember that photoshop is used heavily in those photos and to not compare yourself! Your future partner fell in love with you and you as a whole, not those pictures online! Smiley heart

• Amanduh
    Dedicated January 2019
    Amanduh ·
    • Flag

You are beautiful just the way you are. Don't let society's opinions of beauty get you down.

• Mary
    Dedicated December 2020
    Mary ·
    • Flag

I bought my dress 2 years ago when I was 29. I don't know what happened in those 2 years (yay for 30's), because my wedding dress that looked like it was made for me and looked perfect now shows my lumpy bits haha! So after crying about it for a bit, I went to a lingerie shop and got the right shapewear. And then recommitted to my exercise routine and clean eating.

The main thing is my FH thinks I am the sexiest and prettiest woman around and I am confident in that even if my stomach isn't flat and I have some cellulite on my hips to go with my stretch marks. Smiley winking

Just gotta embrace it all. Smiley heart

• Michelle
    Master October 2022
    Michelle Online ·
    • Flag
    Social media such as Instagram is a target for that particular demographic of the super thin, heavily filtered, heavily photoshopped models (many of them really are that thin due to drugs and other lifestyle choices but are filtered to not have any freckles or other natural beauty marks) who don't represent real life at all. They know it preys on insecurities which is why they do it. There's plenty of healthy normal sized brides online, including plus sizes. But you won't find them on Instagram or similar sites. Do a search on Google for plus size brides and most are a standard 8-12. In the modelling world, anything larger than a street size 6 (or a bridal size 4) is considered plus size, which perpetuates body image insecurities.

Don't let them pressure to lose weight or change your appearance unless you planned to anyway without their influence.
  • Jasmine
    Rockstar January 2022
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag

I know exactly how you feel. I've been pretty thin my entire life until after I got out of the military. Turns out I have hypothyroidism. I ended up gaining weight ridiculously and makes it that much harder for me to lose weight but I still want to lose as much as I can for my wedding.

It's definitely a struggle dealing with depression and anxiety. If you want to lose, lose for yourself and not what the media platforms shove down your face to make you feel like you're not the amazing person you are because you don't wear a size 00.

• Victoria
    Devoted June 2021
    Victoria ·
    • Flag

I totally feel you girl! I've been trying to work on my arms but yeah I totally feel you. There can be a lot of pressure to look your best and be in your best shape.

• Amanduh
    Dedicated January 2019
    Amanduh ·
    • Flag

99% of people don't look like this, so don't get yourself down about. You look beautiful from what I can see in your avi.

• Kari
    VIP May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag

The average American woman is 5'4" and 170 pounds, and roughly a dress size 12-14. By comparison, the average female model is 5'7" and 114 pounds, and usually closer to a 0-2 (taller models will sometimes be a size 4-6). So unless you happen to be very slender and tall with amazing bone structure and flawless skin, the women in these staged, stylized shoots, typically paid models or "influencers" or other not-average people, aren't going to be representative of our realities.

Pretty sells. Its what the magazines publish, its what photographers put on their websites and in their portfolios, and its what gets people to buy products in advertisements. Many of those photos are from stylized shoots, where everything, from the models, to flowers, to setting, to hair and makeup, is completely staged. I'm a photographer, I work in the athletics/recreation/fitness industry, and I'm an inch taller and 35 pounds lighter than the average American woman, and I cannot make myself look like this.

One thing I found helpful was to find and follow local wedding photographers and follow their social media (not just look at their portfolios), because they often feature "real" couples more often than just best-of-the-best accounts by companies or agencies promoting wedding tourism or luxury photographers from the big cities who only have A-list clientele. I'd also recommend looking up the "real brides" sections on wedding websites. I bought my dress online from StillWhite, site unseen, pre-owned and un-returnable, and the only reason I did was because the manufacturer (Mikealla) has a "real brides" section of their website and I was able to see the exact dress I was buying on dozens of "real" women with different body types, light and dark complexions, short girls, muscular girls, etc. Don't fall in love with a dress you've only seen online on one model that doesn't look anything like you. Sites like Lulu's and BHLDN allow women to post photos with reviews and that can be a great way to see real, un-photoshopped people in wedding dresses.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇