Elena
Just Said Yes September 2020

Booking a photographer

Elena, on August 28, 2019 at 7:05 PM Posted in Planning 0 5
Saved Save

Hi, everyone! Not sure this is the right forum for this, but here goes:

My fiance and I have had a little trouble finding a photographer so far...either we disagree, or the people I've contacted haven't responded to my inquiries. We finally found someone whose photos we both LOVE and arranged to speak on the phone today. I was so excited for this company would be the one, but HUGE bummer - I wasn't sold on the photographer's vibe. Most vendors I've spoken with have been warm and enthusiastic and honestly, loving what they do and eager to sell their service. This person seemed more standoffish and businesslike - short Q&A and that was it, with no attempt towards personally connecting with us or getting to know us as a couple. My fiance seems unfazed and doesn't have an opinion.

The reviews for this place are top-notch across the boards, and we love the photos, but I'm not sure how comfortable I'll feel with a photographer who doesn't seem warm. I'd really love to give this place a second chance and meet in person (maybe meet a different member of the team?), but I don't know how to ask for this with a reasonable excuse/without seeming obvious. Am I overreacting? Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

5 Comments

• E
    Devoted October 2019
    emjo ·
    • Flag
    I normally prefer people who are quick to the point and business-like because that is how I am. But I chose a photographer who was warm and fun to be around because she pulled us out of our comfort zones. I hate having pictures taken but she made it fun and we looked natural instead of awkwardly posed. I paid more than I originally planned to hire her because of her vibe. Remember you will spend a lot of time with your photographer on your wedding day so make sure you feel comfortable with them.
  • Elena
    Just Said Yes September 2020
    Elena ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I complete agree with you - I'm more like you, and I'm looking to book a photographer for the same reasons! I would just love to get a better sense on what they're like in person, but not sure how to go about that.

• Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    You’re not over reacting. I would ask to meet in person and see if you click. Personally I think that’s important. I didn’t do that and I regret it.
  • E
    Devoted October 2019
    emjo ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I think it's commonplace to meet in person with a photographer. I would tell them you want to meet in person before deciding to book because you want to feel comfortable with them. If they have a problem with that you probably wouldn't want them as your photographer anyway.
  • Melissa
    VIP October 2018
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

For what it's worth, I felt the same about the DJ we hired - the phone talk was very straight up business, and I was concerned. But in person, he was amazing. HIred him on the spot. So...definitely try to meet a photographer in person! Personalities one on one (or one on two, in this case!) are really what's important.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics