Elizabeth
Dedicated June 2021

Babysitter offered at wedding

Elizabeth, on December 14, 2019 at 2:19 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 8
Saved Save

Hey, y'all! My FH and I are discussing the idea of having only children that are in the wedding at the reception. We like the idea of putting an insert in invitations to families with children saying that children are not invited to the reception, but we will be providing a sitter and pizza for kids to be entertained and fed during the wedding. Then if parents don't want to leave their kids with a stranger, they can find a sitter of their own, or if they can't afford/find a sitter and still want to come, they can just bring their kids to the sitter and then attend the wedding themselves. We're having a mansion wedding and we'd book out one of the suites for the sitter to entertain the kids in, so they would be in the same building the whole time. And we'd take recommendations from family for sitters frequently used and loved by their kids since we don't have any kids to know any sitters ourselves.

What do y'all think of this? Is it crossing any etiquette lines? Ideas on phrasing? Anything I may be forgetting? TIA!!

8 Comments

• V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    I don't have children, but I wouldn't want my children being allowed with someone I don't know or who hasn't watched my children before even if I was in the same building. We had an adults only reception and those that have children had someone they know watch their children. I trusted them to do it themselves rather than me hiring someone that they might not even want to watch their children.
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn Online ·
    • Flag
    I think it’s nice to offer, but shouldn’t be a requirement. If you don’t want kids at the reception, don’t invite kids.
  • Chrysta
    Super November 2020
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    I think it’s a nice offer, but as PP said I think most people would be hesitant about leaving their children with a stranger. Most people that have small children have babysitters they use & trust and can feel comfortable about leaving their children with for the evening. I feel like having an adult only wedding and reception is just the same as asking friends to go out for drinks and dinner, etc. - it’s an adult only evening and parents know to find a babysitter to watch their children while they are out. I don’t know why weddings would be handled with a different set of rules/etiquette. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • April
    Beginner October 2020
    April ·
    • Flag
    I was thinking of doing the same thing but then I had a friend that told me that the guest will figure that stuff out themselves. So I dropped that idea and decide not to worry. I think you should do the same.
  • Kristen
    VIP October 2020
    Kristen Online ·
    • Flag
    I personally think it's a very nice gesture and if it is in your budget then go for it but like most people said I think many parents would rather not leave their child with someone they do not know. Maybe you can ask in Advance if anyone would be open to allowing a sitter to watch their child but I think that you can still stick with the theme and state on the invitation that it is an adult only reception. That way if most people decide to find a sitter because they don't want to leave their child with someone they don't know that is fine. Ultimately if you want to have an adult-only reception there is nothing wrong with that. Most receptions people want to let loose and personally for me I don't feel that having kids around alcohol and adults feeling the need to be filtered is necessary.
  • Sarah
    VIP September 2019
    Sarah Online ·
    • Flag
    I just think this is going to be more hassle than it’s worth. How will you prohibit parents from bringing their kids into the reception room from the babysitting room?
  • 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

I think this would mostly be useful if you have a lot of OOT guests, who don't have local babysitters in your wedding location. It is typically not that hard to find a babysitter for an evening. But it's much tougher either a) to find a babysitter in your home town willing to take the kids for a weekend, or b) to find a babysitter in a strange city. There are agencies that provide babysitters that have had criminal background checks, etc. For one evening, with the parents close by, that should be enough. But of course, it's a know your crowd situation; some parents would rather stay home than leave their kids with a stranger, even under those circumstances.

• MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

I agree with the pp who mentioned the possibility of parents bringing their children from the babysitting room into the reception room. (They go check on little Susie and she's throwing a fit, so they figure, "we'll just bring her down to sit with us." And once someone brings one kid, others may follow suit....) I think it's awesome you want to help, but I'd think this through before you decide to do it. Personally, when we had a young child, I only used my own babysitters whether that meant having someone at our home or making arrangements to leave daughter with my parents when we went to an out-of-town wedding.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics