Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Natalie
Devoted January 2021

Awkward co-worker situation - invite or not?

Natalie, on December 30, 2019 at 2:35 PM Posted in Planning 1 7

I need opinions on a slightly awkward invite situation I found myself in.

FH & I decided we would not be inviting co-workers to the wedding, as we aren't particularly close with any of ours. Side note - we are paying for the wedding ourselves and of course trying to not go over budget.

A few weeks ago my company had our holiday party at our wedding venue. It was so nice, the food & bar service were wonderful. However, I (maybe unwisely) mentioned to some co-workers at the party that my fiance & I booked the venue for our wedding. This lead to a few co-workers, including my boss, making jokes about how they haven't gotten invitations and they're wondering if they're invited. I side-stepped the issue, but now I'm left feeling like I don't have a choice but to invite them.

What would you do? The wedding is still a year away and Save the Dates & invitations have not been mailed. I really hate the idea of inviting people because I feel like I don't have a choice, but I also don't want to be perceived as rude!

7 Comments

Latest activity by Angel, on December 31, 2019 at 3:43 PM
  • E
    Devoted July 2021
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    If you have over a year I would just ignore it for now. My coworkers make the same jokes to me and unfortunately I am not able to invite any of them either. I’ve told a few this with reasoning being we’re already at capacity. No one is actually upset they’re not invited, they completely understand.
  • Givemeallthepups
    Expert February 2020
    Givemeallthepups ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    My coworkers make similar jokes all the time, I just ignore it.
  • Natalie
    Devoted January 2021
    Natalie ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

Sounds look a good plan, I think you're right, at the end of the day I don't think anyone would be genuinely upset. Especially since I don't consider any of my coworkers close friends

• Natalie
    Devoted January 2021
    Natalie ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

Glad to know I'm not alone in the struggle!

• Rebecca
    Master August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

My coworkers knew all about my wedding, but they also knew they weren't invited (one was doing our videography, though).

They also all understood it was for two reasons:

1. We got married on a Saturday, and I work at a restaurant. There was no way to invite my coworkers and leave the restaurant open.

2. COST!!

You've got over a year, just drop it and people will mostly forget.

• Jennifer
    VIP August 2021
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

They were probably just teasing is all! It can be awkward, but just shrug it off! Smiley smile

• Angel
    Expert August 2020
    Angel ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

I'm sure they were just teasing. Definitely don't invite anyone that you don't want there.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics