H
Savvy October 2019

Assigned Seating ceremony

Hannah, on September 24, 2019 at 10:05 PM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 6
Saved Save
I know! It sounds horrible! But- I have exactly enough chairs for my guests. The next package for more chairs is ridiculously expensive & im at the max amount of chairs for this package. Should I make reserved seat signs? Should I give the ushers charts to help squeeze everyone in? Should I make a seating chart for the ceremony? I started a seating chart, it will work fine. But naturally people leave space, I KNOW!

6 Comments

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I don't think you need a seating chart if you have ushers. You can just tell them to seat people accordingly when they come.
  • Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper ·
    • Flag
    I don’t see why you’d need a seating chart for a ceremony. Equal amounts of seats for butts isn’t abnormal. Just have an usher or coordinator (or heck even photographer) who can tell people to move up and in and fill up gaps . Just reserve seats up front for the VIPs in the processional. All you need is *someone* telling people to move up into the unoccupied, unreserved seats.

(btw— who all is included in the chair count? Every attendee? If so, that should include a chair for you, your spouse, and your bridal party members— so there *might* actually be a few spare seats)
  • H
    Savvy October 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I have equal amounts of butts to chairs. I do not have a chair for the bridal party, there are 3 children three and under years old that will have to sit in their parents laps to fit. I’m thinking I’ll have an usher decorate people to fill in the rows.
  • Rachael
    Expert October 2019
    Rachael ·
    • Flag

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I think even if you only give it to the ushers, make the seating chart. If you have ushers seat people as they come, you risk splitting up a group if there are not enough seats in one spot, and people prefer to sit with who they were invited with. No, they wont be talking to others during your ceremony, but its a comfort thing. I know if I came with my family and was told I had to sit away from them, I'd be kind of uncomfortable.

I am also going to recommend to find (or bring) a few extra chairs as well. Expecting children to sit on their parents laps, and for those parents to even be happy with that if the kids even cooperate with it, is just not worth the frustration your guests will end up with. Children don't sit still, and even parents aren't going to necessarily be happy with their wiggly child on their lap

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

No, people will figure it out and find seats. Don't worry!

• Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

If there are vacant seats and someone needs one, all they have to do is ask someone to scoot down. People should be able to figure out their own seating. I would not do assigned ceremony seating. Sounds like a nightmare.

Comment on this discussion