Jennilee
Beginner October 2020

Are you getting a refund or rescheduling?

Jennilee, on April 3, 2020 at 11:54 PM Posted in Community Conversations 1 18
Saved
My wedding is still far enough out that I’m very optimistic that I will not have to reschedule, but for all brides who do have to, what is it like? Is your venue offering a refund or just to reschedule? And are they trying to move you to a week day or anything?

I’m going to ask my venue in the coming days what to expect if we do need to reschedule, but I just want to make sure that I’m getting the best and the standard.
Thanks in advance

18 Comments

Latest activity by Jennilee, on April 4, 2020 at 3:08 PM
  • A
    Savvy April 2021
    Ariel ·
    • Flag
    My venue called to cancel my wedding. They gave us a full refund. I was sad at first but understood. Now, I’m planning a bigger and better wedding than I was going to have. I’m satisfied. You just have to keep moving forward and look at the positives. (:
  • Mandi
    Master October 2020
    Mandi ·
    • Flag
    I never requested a refund. I was able to easily push back everything to October 2020.
  • Jennilee
    Beginner October 2020
    Jennilee ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’m trying to be optimistic, really. I just fear that they’ll not offer a refund and just to reschedule but I really want to get married in 2020 and I’m afraid they won’t be able to accommodate that or try to move us from a Saturday to a different day of the week or something
  • Anna
    Super April 2020
    Anna ·
    • Flag

My venue called to cancelled. They cancelled all their april parties. They offered to either refund us the money or reschedule until oct. We took the money and are very blessed that she did that. I tell my fiance she def did not need to do that. But we got very lucky she even gave us an option.

• Sardis
    Dedicated July 2020
    Sardis ·
    • Flag

I have seen and heard many venues are not wanting to refund money back (my vendor being one of them). Most of the venues are wanting you to reschedule. With that being said I have read that many brides had to postpone for the fall or even next year due to the availability. Sorry I did not want to sound discouraging but just give you a heads up that. Hope everything works out for you. Best of luck.

• S
    Dedicated August 2020
    Shveta ·
    • Flag

I think at the moment, it just depends on the state you live in. Vendors are responding according to each state's restrictions, for the most part. I'm in New York State, and our venue didn't reach out to us, but we reached out to them. They said everything was still a go right until restaurants were closed down for in-house dining. Because now of course, our venue can't guarantee they can fulfill their end of the deal. At that point, they let us move our date free of charge and we signed an updated contract saying that the wedding would be on this new date, however it's still dependent on the COVID-19 situation... meaning that we can reschedule again if we need to. At this exact moment, New York State has BANNED having any non-essential gathering of ANY SIZE. It's super rough here, and I expect other states will be experiencing all of this soon. Vendors will generally hold out as long as possible until they're forced be helpful. I am glad to see people on this thread saying their venues were so awesome though!

• Jennilee
    Beginner October 2020
    Jennilee ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’m in New Jersey so it’s a similar situation here - I just emailed them to see what they’re doing as of now. I’m just worried that since my wedding is still months out that if we do have to reschedule all the 2020 dates will be used up
  • Nefetera
    VIP March 2015
    Nefetera ·
    • Flag
    My venue seem to want bankrupt he stated we have to wait for our full refund ...we decied to cancel
  • Jennilee
    Beginner October 2020
    Jennilee ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh my god that’s terrifying!! I’m so sorry to hear that
  • Jennilee
    Beginner October 2020
    Jennilee ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Just wondering, what made you decide to the refund instead of the reschedule? Are you still going to do a wedding?
  • Jennilee
    Beginner October 2020
    Jennilee ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks! My wedding already set for the fall, but I’m hearing about a second wave and I’m just concerned.
  • Msalberts
    Master October 2021
    Msalberts ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I hear you. Hopeful we can have our wedding October 3rd. I hope for the state of the world it’s surely over until then.
  • Kari
    Master May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag

This would be in your contract. Our venue has an "act of God" clause in the contract (which is pretty standard and covers pretty much anything and everything) and they are under no obligation to refund any of our money whatsoever if we cancel our wedding.

Currently our wedding is still permissible with state and federal guidelines because the date (May 30th) falls just outside any current restrictions, so our venue has said they will reschedule us but won't refund us. We are not certain what would happen if our wedding was no longer permissible if current stay-at-home or prohibitions on group gatherings were extended, which is one of the reasons we have not made the decision to change our wedding yet. We hope that if the venue was forced to shut down due to the state, that they would give us a refund instead of just allowing us to reschedule, since they would not be able to provide the services we contracted on the date specified.

• Jennilee
    Beginner October 2020
    Jennilee ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Mine says “The performance of this agreement is subject to any circumstance making it illegal or impossible to provide or use the golf club facilities, including acts of God, war, government regulations, disaster, strikes or civil disorder the agreement may be terminated only for any of those above reasons by written notice from either golf course or organization to the other” - idk what that means though. Like it can be cancelled but I don’t know if that means I’ll be refunded or what? Any thoughts?
  • Kari
    Master May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That is weird wording, but if "acts of God" is in there and any part of your deposit is considered non-refundable, then it's likely you won't get a refund. However, the the verbiage in that part of the agreement is to legally protect the venue, and even if the contract says they don't legally have to refund you, they could still choose to if they wanted. Legally the venue is probably pretty well protected, but what they choose to do is still up to them. For example, AirBnB is refunding renters who are needing to cancel reservations due to Covid-19, but VRBO is not, and I doubt there is anything vastly different in the legal agreements between the two companies. AirBnB is just choosing to be sympathetic and establish trust and loyalty with renters, whereas VRBO is more concerned with the bottom dollar right now than karma and customer confidence. You can always reach out to your venue to ask, or consult a lawyer.

• Sardis
    Dedicated July 2020
    Sardis ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

We are fighting for a refund but they do not want too. We will not reschedule.

• Joyce
    Dedicated October 2020
    Joyce ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I don’t think it means they’d refund you the deposit. It means they aren’t obligated to ensure the venue would be open for a wedding on your day, and you wouldn’t be obligated to pay the remaining balance on the contract.
  • Jennilee
    Beginner October 2020
    Jennilee ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This whole thing is stressing me out

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics