Skip to main content
MrsCosmetobe
Savvy March 2018

Are Wedding Planners really worth it?

MrsCosmetobe, on June 23, 2017 at 1:16 PM

Posted in Planning 41

I'm getting migraines trying to plan my wedding. There are so many fine details that I know that I will probably miss because there are so many things that go into this. My father and I have spoke about a wedding planner. We were discussing is it financially worth it. I have heard that they can save...

I'm getting migraines trying to plan my wedding. There are so many fine details that I know that I will probably miss because there are so many things that go into this. My father and I have spoke about a wedding planner. We were discussing is it financially worth it. I have heard that they can save you money on vendors. But this is my concern. For example, if you pay a WP $2000 for their services but they can get you discounts on vendors. The amount they can save you totals close to the amount you paid her, is it really worth it to pay? Maybe I'm overthinking it but I that's how I'm looking at it. I hope this make sense.

Please if anyone has experience with this and can tell me more benefits of having a WP besides just taking some of my headache away, it would be most appreciated.

I'm on a certain budget. Thanks in Advance.

41 Comments

• Casey
    Devoted October 2017
    Casey ·
    • Flag

You probably need a wedding planner if:

- you work a LOT

- you're getting married in a locale you know very little about, in terms of the wedding scene

- you have absolutely no interest in wedding details and want someone else to make most of the decisions

Do NOT hire a wedding planner if:

- you can't afford a good one (a bad one is only going to piss you off)

- you're a control freak who is going to hate everything your wedding planner does or suggests because you didn't think of it first

- your mom thinks SHE is the wedding planner and will just side-eye your actual wedding planner the entire time, start arguments, and generally interfere with her work

We're getting married in Charleston, SC. We live in Austin, TX. It made sense for us to hire someone who is familiar with the wedding industry in Charleston and could recommend vendors for us. We started planning it ourselves, and I quickly grew tired of the phone calls and emails to vendors that weren't being returned, so vendor relationships is a big reason we decided to hire a planner. It was also very important to me that my mom not have to get overly involved. She owns a business and works all the time, and I saw how stressed she was at my sister's wedding (she really didn't get to enjoy any part of it because she basically WAS the day-of coordinator), and I wanted her to be able to just sit back and enjoy my wedding.

I think most people can get away with just a day-of coordinator, but think long and hard about how much time and enthusiasm you have for wedding planning. Hiring a planner won't mean that you don't have decisions to make and tasks to handle, but it will at least narrow down the options you have to consider and the phone calls and emails you're directly responsible for.

One last piece of advice ... depending on the city you're getting married in and how popular it is for weddings, most wedding planners don't really have enough leverage to get you big-time price breaks. If they have good relationships with vendors, they can often convince a vendor who is booked solid to work you into their schedule somehow, but there is usually too much competition for venues and services for vendors to have any motivation to lower their prices by a notable amount. So don't hire one if that's your primary expectation.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.
WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics