We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Just Said Yes April 2020

April bride postponing problems

Stefanie, on March 26, 2020 at 5:51 PM Posted in Planning 0 3
Saved Save
Hi everyone,
So our wedding date of April 5th 2020 Obviously isn’t happening, so to beat out the battle for dates with our venue we chose a new date of June 7, 2020. With everything going on still we’re still not even sure that date will be safe. A lot of guests have already told us that they won’t be able to make it to the new June date because of unemployment or financial reasons due to the closures of everything right now.
Our venue has a minimum of 75 guests and we originally set to have about 77, now with our guest count dropping I’m just getting really discouraged from even having an event. We reached out to the venue and vendors and everyone is willing to reschedule us without fees in the year 2020, but Pushing the date past that or canceling the event all together is looking like some monetary loss on our part.Honestly I’m just over it and would be fine getting married Just the two of us, but don’t want to waste money on what we’ve already paid for.
Anyone else having the same issues? Is your venue/vendor being sympathetic and refunding you even though contracts state differently? I feel like if family and friends can’t come then why are we spending all this money when we’d be happy to just go elope?


Latest activity by Tara, on March 27, 2020 at 9:08 AM
  • Laura
    Master October 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag

    I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. We have a community hub of all our COVID-19 information, including cancellation guides, monthly planning posts, and advice on how to get additional support. I hope it helps you navigate this difficult time!

    • Reply
  • Kathryn
    VIP August 2020
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag
    I would talk with your venue and see if you can go ahead under the minimum if you still want to go ahead. If not, maybe you can talk with your biggest vendors about what to do. We rescheduled our 4/4 wedding to August, and we already decided we'll go ahead with whoever shows up. Your vendors want your money - if going ahead is what you want to do, I'm sure you can make it work. If you want to cancel though, it'll probably be an uphill battle.
    • Reply
  • Tara
    VIP November 2016
    Tara ·
    • Flag

    First of all, I'm so sorry for all this stress you're going through Smiley sad I can only imagine how it must feel. I am already married so I can't personally relate, but i wanted to give you my perspective just for an additional outsider's opinion. Try to remove yourself from the situation and the current state of the world. I know that's hard, but take a minute and step back. Go back to what it felt like when you first got engaged and how you were feeling about a wedding/planning. I say, if in the beginning you were feeling in your heart you wanted a wedding with guests, then go for it! Obviously things are less than ideal right now. But, go with what you have and trust it will all work out. If it were me, I'd consider postponing a little farther away from June, maybe sometime early fall?! That may allow your guests to save up some money to attend the wedding. If not, if you never truly cared about having a wedding with guests, definitely consider eloping! It sounds like whether have you have the wedding in June or elope, you'll be out some money. So do whatever feels right in your heart and soul! Do what you and your fiance feels suits your relationship best.

    I'll tell you my story. My husband is in the Army. We had been dating for 8 years when he found out he was going to have to deploy in a few months so we decided we wanted to get married. (We had talked about marriage many times before then and he even had a loose diamond ready to be set into a ring, so it wasn't a total surprise.) I had 8 weeks in total to plan the wedding, and he was gone for much of it so I did almost everything on my own. It was incredibly stressful... we talked about every different scenario and possibility. We considered eloping, we thought about getting married on a cruise, going somewhere in the Caribbean, having a very small wedding at a winery in the Finger Lakes. Ultimately we went back to what we had always mutually agreed we wanted, a big, formal wedding in a beautiful ballroom with all our friends and family! there were many people that couldn't attend because of the short notice, but we knew we wanted a big wedding so that's what we had! If you guys have never truly been attached to the idea of a wedding with your 70+ guests, I say ditch that , recoup what you can, and elope!!! Hoping you can make a decision, with as little stress as possible, that will make you both happy Smiley smile

    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇


Related articles