Taylor
Expert October 2017

Anyone not having groomsmen in suits?

Taylor, on May 2, 2017 at 11:54 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 22
Saved Save

If so, what are they wearing?? We're thinking of just having the guys in nice pants, black shoes, ties, and button-ups. None of our guys are really in the financial positions to rent or buy full suits(two of them are our younger brothers, one of which is 15.) Are we the only ones not putting our guys in suits? Anyone have any suggestions on where to send them for nice dress shirts?

22 Comments

• MrsLabrec
    VIP October 2017
    MrsLabrec ·
    • Flag

Have you gone to a Men's Wearhouse just to see the price for renting? I only ask because they have suit rental for $180.

That included everything but the socks and shoes.

• Jackie
    Expert May 2017
    Jackie ·
    • Flag

We went real simple. We told them black dress pants, which they all already have, we picked out a button up, which was on sale for $15 when they all bought it. We bought all of the ties. They are all to wear black dress shoes as well. FH is wearing grey pants and vest with the same button up as his guys and the bow tie version of the GM ties

• Taylor
    Expert October 2017
    Taylor ·
    • Flag

I've checked a couple places.. But 180 is quite a bit, particularly for our brothers. We'd offer to pay for theirs, but then that's not fair to the other 2 guys, who do have jobs, but still don't really have that much money to spare.. If I could find rentals right around 100, I'd be happy. But the wedding is so close at this point, FH just doesn't want to put that stress on anyone.

• Chip
    Master March 2018
    Chip ·
    • Flag

We're not using suits either! We're going a more casual look, slacks, vests and dress shirts

• Taylor
    Expert October 2017
    Taylor ·
    • Flag

@Jackie- that's along the lines of what we're thinking. Planned on buying the ties so that everyone has the same one. They all have black dress pants, including his brother. FH WANTS a suit, so he's still going to buy one, even if he doesn't wear the jacket with it. But I'm thinking everyone can still look nice without one.

• Jamie
    Super September 2017
    Jamie ·
    • Flag

Our GM are not wearing suits. We wanted a more casual look as well so they are doing grey dress pants, cognac shoes, white dress shirts and my FH and I are providing their ties and suspenders. It was just cheaper this way and they can wear the items again. Plus most of the GM already have these items from previous weddings.

• Sarah
    Super April 2017
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

We told the groomsmen - grey slacks, grey vest, white shirt and brown shoes. Most of them already owned those things so they were happy. We provided the same tie for all of them which added to a cohesive look. They were comfortable and it looked great.

• W
    Expert August 2017
    WKC ·
    • Flag

My GM arent wearing a vest or jacket. They are wearing rented pants, button down, suspenders& tie. Groom isnt wearing a jacket either, just vest.

• Katelyn
    Dedicated August 2017
    Katelyn ·
    • Flag

I think it depends on the ceremony. We're having a casual one, so our GM are wearing khakis, white button downs, bow tie and grey suspenders. The BM are wearing casual dresses as well that are in our color scheme.

• muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel ·
    • Flag

The Black Tux rents suits for $95.

They have excellent products and service- free shipping, returns and replacements,

https://theblacktux.com/collection/suits/grey-suit

• Kristin
    Super August 2017
    Kristin ·
    • Flag

Our GM are being as casual as possible. They wanted shorts so we got off white cargo shorts and aqua and teal Hawaiian shirts. We got the outfits black Friday for $15 total online at Peebles. If you are far enough in advance check online during holiday sales and find coupons you can use. This brings the price down. No one in our wedding has had to pay for a thing because we did not want to impose a cost on them. But not everyone can do this. Enjoy the process and shopping for great deals.

• N
    Devoted September 2018
    Nikki ·
    • Flag

My FH and GM don't particularly want to wear suits and we're going an outside wedding in September when it is warm we're I live. I would like them look nice but I'm thinking dress pants and nice button ups are a good option.

• muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel ·
    • Flag

If they all have black dress pants, you could look at just buying them a vest. A charcoal vest would look like it was a planned look, rather than having different shades of black.

Asos, J C Penney and Sears all have suit vests starting from $29.

• Kyle
    Super May 2019
    Kyle ·
    • Flag

We had our groomsmen buy pants and a vest from Macys (it was part of a suit, but each item was sold separately, so we didn't have them buy the jacket). They supplied their own white shirts and black shoes, and we bought the socks and bow ties. I believe they each paid about $99, and we probably paid $20 per groosman. I hope this helps.

• VC
    Master May 2017
    VC ·
    • Flag

Not suits, but will be in tuxedos

• Tara
    Super September 2017
    Tara ·
    • Flag

Our wedding is southern rustic, so the GM will all be in (still debating the pants) either jeans or khakis, with suspenders and cowboy boots (we made sure they each had a pair before this was decided). FH will be in the same attire but with a vest rather than suspenders to separate himself from the rest. Each will have a white dress shirt on too.

• Jennifer
    Expert June 2017
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

Ours are not wearing suits, but it is a beach wedding.

• k
    Dedicated April 2018
    k ·
    • Flag

Your parents will probably appreciate you not doing suits since they are the ones that would most likely end up paying for your brother's.

• LauraR
    VIP June 2017
    LauraR ·
    • Flag

We're deciding between suspenders or vests and will likely just go by what we actually find in the store. FH is doing a mismatched look, with a navy suit jacket and tan pants. So it made sense that we would have the GM wear something more casual.

• Bemyguest
    Master April 2017
    Bemyguest ·
    • Flag

Find something on clearance at Macy's. We found ours for $80 each. Their selection is great and they were so helpful about finding other sizes we needed.

Comment on this discussion