Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Beginner August 2020

Anyone Change to Elopement?

Laura, on July 25, 2020 at 11:56 AM Posted in Planning 0 3

I had already postponed my May 2020 wedding to January 2021. However I just found out my maid of honor is dropping out, my flower girl dropped out, and my brother also said he will not make it even in January as they don't feel comfortable after just having a new baby. Another postponement is difficult with our vendor because they are being more strict with their policy because everyone keeps postponing. Also they said if they do allow it they do not have anything for a long time so we really do not want to keep postposting being married and moving on with our lives. So we are thinking of cancelling completely and eloping. We thought in the long run it will save us money even though we lose deposits. I would hate to pay even more for this wedding to have the most important people not there. If I elope I know they cannot attend but at least it won't be dishing out thousands more and me being unhappy.

Did anyone else decide to completely cancel instead of postpone again? If you did are you planning on having a celebration at a later date when things do get back to normal?


Latest activity by Chereena, on July 26, 2020 at 5:25 PM
  • Mimi
    Savvy October 2021
    Mimi ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

    My wedding is October 17th and we have also had drop-outs and lots of people say they won't come. We are now planning to do a family-only event this year for people who are comfortable because we want to be married. My parents are hosting a wedding celebration for us next fall. Honestly, as hard as this has been on me, it seems to have been harder on my mom, so I'm glad we have something to look forward to.

    • Reply
  • Jessica
    Master September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    So far we are still on for 9/12/20. Our plan if we end up having to postpone or cancel is too elope just us and our kids (and our photographer), then have a vow renewal and celebration later. At this point, it would probably be 2022 (or later) before we do the vow renewal because 2021 is getting pretty busy with all the postponement. We discussed our back up plan with our families back in April when we weren’t sure we’d be able to have the wedding this year so no one would be surprised if that’s what we ended up doing. Right now we have a couple more weeks to get our venue and catering deposit back, they allow cancellations up to 30 days before the event. We’re just monitoring everything. Our maximum at the venue is 50 (including us), and so far we have 28 attending, 18 undecided.
    You just have to do what’s best for the two of you, and only you can decide what that is. Good luck!
    • Reply
  • Chereena
    Beginner August 2020
    Chereena ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    My wedding was supposed to be in October now it’s in August. Instead of posting it because of COVID we speed it up. We already had the rings dress, suit and wedding planner to make it happen last minute. We don’t have a bridal party So with a small number of friends and family that live close by. We decided to not let love wait any longer. So much has already happened for the year thus far and we don’t know what October will hold. When I initially asked my fiancé about speeding it up he was like “ I just wanna marry you let’s do it tell me when and I’ll be there!” Our wedding day is now 4 weeks. Nervous but excited!!!
    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇


Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more


WeddingWire article topics