Yar
Just Said Yes July 2021

Answer

Yar, on November 5, 2019 at 3:44 PM Posted in Planning 0 10
Saved
Okay, so we’ve knew each other for about 14 years of our friendship before we got together, we’ve been together for 6 years before I got engaged, I’ve been engaged for 2 years now
Is it early to get married at 22 ?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Littlebride, on November 7, 2019 at 3:41 PM
  • Amber
    Master February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag

We'll both be 22 when we get married. It's not about age, it's about maturity. It's about understanding that marriage is a huge commitment. If you don't feel mature enough for marriage, 22 may be too young for you. If you understand that marriage is more than a wedding followed by sunshine and roses, 22 may be old enough for you. It all depends on the person.

• EmAbrams
    Devoted August 2019
    EmAbrams ·
    • Flag

My first marriage I was 22 when I got married and widowed at 24. I agree with Amber it is really all about maturity and if you are ready to take on a life long committment.

• V
    Devoted August 2020
    Valerie ·
    • Flag
    22 is young no matter how long you’ve known each other and have dated.
  • Katie
    Super November 2019
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    Age is just a number. My wedding is next week and I only just turned 23 at the end of September and he is 24 but we don't care. If you love someone and you want to spend forever with them then it shouldn't matter if you are 17 or 98 in my opinion there is no right age to get married. Marriage is based on maturity, and your relationship if you feel y'all are ready for that commitment then I say let nothing hold you back. Don't let anyone tell you that you are too young, no one wants to be a forever girlfriend.
  • McKenzie
    Savvy January 2020
    McKenzie ·
    • Flag
    I’m 20 now. Just recently got engaged so I’ll be around 22 when I actually have the wedding. Age is just a number. These are the questions you need to ask yourself. Are you mature enough to handle marriage? Are you 1000% sure you are with the person you want to be with for the rest of your life? Is your SO 1000% sure they are with the person they want to be with for the rest of their life? I know some 22yo that can’t handle marriage and I know some that can. My sister is 26 and she is in no way ready for marriage but I seem to be (always been called an “old soul”). I’d say if you are questioning it, then maybe you need more time to figure out what you want.
  • Yar
    Just Said Yes July 2021
    Yar ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you, I appreciate what you said ...
  • Yar
    Just Said Yes July 2021
    Yar ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you and congratulations on your upcoming journey ...
  • Yar
    Just Said Yes July 2021
    Yar ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you, for your advice I appreciate it ..
  • Emily
    Expert September 2020
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    I think it's good to figure out if you've had enough life experience for yourself (as an individual person versus being in a couple) and if you guys have experienced and handled life experiences together.

Going through deaths and job loss and highs and lows together has been invaluable in my opinion. You can obviously always hit more of these in the future and figure out how you're going to deal with it together.

I've just had friends who got engaged and married because all of their moments with their partner were basically happy and exciting - and they loved that happy and exciting person. Then a death or job loss or something happened and they saw their partner in a depression (or getting a chronic illness) and there had been no discussion on what the plan was - "if I'm seriously unhappy and unfulfilled in our relationship what steps will you do, therapy, etc." Some have stayed together (not always happily I should add) and others have gone separate ways with varying degrees of satisfaction about it.

Maybe consider going to a couples counselor for some sessions so that they can walk you through some hypotheticals together and you can put some tools in your tool belt - you can't fake 10 years of living together, but you can simulate scenarios. Maybe that will help prep?
  • Littlebride
    Dedicated January 2020
    Littlebride ·
    • Flag
    I started dating my now FH at 18. Will be married to him at 23. Marriage is not something to be taken lightly, if you feel like you're both ready and mature enough to handle difficult situations that life will throw at you without wanting to throw in the towel and say " that's it we're getting a divorce." Then no, you're not too young.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics