Lav
Dedicated October 2022

Another invitation question

Lav, on September 23, 2021 at 8:40 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 1 4
Saved
I was reading somewhere else where it says that the names on the invitations should be the way that better sound when you say it out loud but other places I keep seeing that I should put the bride’s name first and then the groom name.. but when I say our name together, the groom name sounds better being first than the bride’s. What should I do? Plus the formal invitation I am using our complete name/surname and everything lol… my name has 4 and my fiancé name is so short.. so that’s another reason why I put his name first, so the visual would not get overwhelmed.. 🤷🏻‍♀️

4 Comments

Latest activity by Lav, on September 24, 2021 at 10:20 AM
  • Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    Do whatever works for you. Your guests will not notice or care.

What I was able to find about the history is that the bride’s name is listed first because traditionally her parents paid a larger sum for wedding expenses. Since that is no longer the case for most weddings, you can totally throw that out the window. Plus it does not fall into the category of etiquette which is defined as the art of navigating social situations to avoid offending or embarrassing others and will always be part of the human interaction experience.

• Lav
    Dedicated October 2022
    Lav ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! Yes, we will be paying ourselves.
  • M
    Devoted September 2021
    Marianne ·
    • Flag

I agree that it really doesn't matter and guests won't care whose name is first. Only stipulation is if you were doing something like "Mr. and Mrs. Your Parents invite you to the wedding of" etc. We also planned and paid for our wedding ourselves so we just put "Together with their families My Name and Husband's Name invite you to their wedding" or something like that. We also put our first and last names BUT we didn't do middle names since I don't have one and H's name wouldn't have fit on one line if we did his full name Smiley xd

• Lav
    Dedicated October 2022
    Lav ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! That was very helpful. Unfortunately I will not include “together with their families” because it’s only my fiancé family that will be with us.. my family is from Brazil and they won’t come. So I am just “Requesting the pleasure” and we are also paying ourselves. I did put the whole name lol, but his name is sooo short 😅 it was funny.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics