We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Samantha
Dedicated March 2021

Alternative to garter toss?

Samantha, on November 5, 2019 at 10:22 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 16
Saved Save
Any suggestions for alternatives to the garter toss? The idea feels gross having my FH take off an intimate piece on my body and throw to his friends! Those who didn’t do the garter toss what did you opt for? I don’t want to do the bouquet toss and have nothing to replace the garter toss !

16 Comments

Latest activity by Madison, on November 7, 2019 at 3:02 PM
  • Destiny
    VIP May 2020
    Destiny ·
    • Flag

If we would have gone with the april 1st date we would have done a rubber chicken lol

• Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag
    We did not do a garter or bouquet toss. Instead, we did an anniversary dance. The couple who had been married the longest got our “toss” bouquet.
  • W
    Expert September 2020
    Willow ·
    • Flag
    You can just skip the garter toss and throw the bouquet. No one will miss the garter
  • 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

You really don't have to replace the garter toss with anything. Many people just skip it.

• Jennifer
    VIP October 2021
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    We are doing the Bouquet toss only.
    Want to try to do something for the guys- play off of “Harry Potter” somehow- maybe toss a “Golden Snitch” for him??
  • Kayla
    Dedicated October 2020
    Kayla ·
    • Flag
    The garter toss seems to be a dying tradition. Many brides still toss the bouquet and skip the garter. That's the way we are going to do it!
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Legend March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    We skipped the garter & bouquet toss. Both seem tacky & outdated to us. Can you skip both?
  • Cherry
    Expert February 2020
    Cherry ·
    • Flag
    I recently read an article about this. Apparently it's becoming less and less used and is being phased out, and so is the tossing of the bouquet.

We won't be doing either but we're not having a traditional wedding. And besides, my bouquet will be fake flowers. Nobody will want them anyway, lol.

You can always skip the garter toss. As others said, it won't be missed.
  • G
    Dedicated August 2020
    Gean ·
    • Flag

We are just skipping the garter toss!

• Hannah
    Rockstar July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This is exactly what we did too!
  • Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I've seen a ton of people skip garter toss
  • FutureMrsHadi
    Dedicated May 2021
    FutureMrsHadi ·
    • Flag

I'm also skipping both the bouquet toss and garter toss!

• Alyssa
    Expert December 2021
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag

Just take it out. We won't be doing it and if anyone asks, I'll tell them that I won't be throwing any of my undergarments into the crowd, thank you very much.

• Cassandra7
    Super August 2006
    Cassandra7 ·
    • Flag

Skip them both. It's really not kind to call attention to the marital or non-marital situations of your guests (which is why you should also skip the anniversary dance which, just to being with, discriminates against every gay couple among your guests).

• Madison
    Dedicated October 2019
    Madison ·
    • Flag

I did a gender neutral bouquet toss. Anyone not married could participate. And actually a lot of older people got in on it! It was a huge hit! My brother ended up catching the bouquet and then did a victory lap with it. His girlfriend laughed her butt off!!

• Madison
    Dedicated October 2019
    Madison ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I would tend to agree with you about the anniversary dance discriminating, BUT I also have a friend who's been with his now husband for longer than marriage was "legal" and he always goes by their "original" anniversary in these situations. It's not like they're checking certificates ya know? I think it depends on the wedding and the people in attendance. Plus you can call it a "couples" dance and make it have nothing to do with marriage if you want to. You can do anything!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles