Skip to main content
R
Dedicated April 2022

Alterations Question!

Rachel, on September 27, 2021 at 11:20 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 9
Saved
Hi guys! I wanted anyone’s opinion on whether or not you think the dress I purchased can be altered to a dress I want.

So I purchased the Alistaire dress and I feel like the bottom is way too big and poofy. I now realize, I want something more like Alistaire’s sister dress Fiona (it’s literally like the same dress just a less dramatic bottom skirt) I have attached pictures of the dress I bought and the Fiona dress/another example of a dress that has the silhouette I’m trying to get
My question is can the dress I purchased be altered to the silhouette type that I want if I just have a seamstress take out the tulle and poof? I’m having a really hard time liking the big bottom of the Alistaire dress. I’m to the point if it can’t be fixed, I might want to purchase another dress before I spend even more money on the alterations. Idk what to do, I really don’t like the dress I purchased if it can’t be less dramatic at the bottom
Any alteration advice is appreciated!!! Alterations Question! 1Alterations Question! 2
Alterations Question! 3
Alterations Question! 4
Alterations Question! 5

9 Comments

Latest activity by Elri, on September 27, 2021 at 2:31 PM
  • B
    Beginner March 2021
    Briana ·
    • Flag

You should 10000% be able to remove a layer or two of tulle to decrease the poof, the dress is gorgeous!! Just keep in mind that it looks like the maggie sottero you posted pics of has a different top lining material on the bottom (fabric vs. tulle) so it won't look exactly the same!

• R
    Dedicated April 2022
    Rachel ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you for your feedback! Yeah I’m starting to be afraid of what the tulle does w the shape even if I take the layers out! I’m just hoping I can get close to the shape of the example pics! It makes me very uneasy how much I don’t like how my dress currently is. And I spent so much money on it already and to have this kinda regret makes me so sad
  • Elri
    Dedicated September 2021
    Elri ·
    • Flag
    It’s definitely doable. Is the under layer crinoline or organza? Crinoline is more stiff where organza is more silky. Crinoline lends itself to being more poofy and less flowy if you will. I had the opposite problem. I wanted more volume so I added an organza piece I got off Amazon. I literally pinned it in on the morning of my Wedding. It was a risk but it paid off. Keep in mind if you take volume away you run the risk of having to hem the dress. And from what I can see your dress is not hemmed, it’s edges are “searged”. Your seamstress, unless she has a searger machine will have to make a traditional hem. Find out if it’s crinoline or organza underneath. You may find that if it is crinoline you can replace it with an organza layer with will lay more flat and fell more “free flowey”.
  • R
    Dedicated April 2022
    Rachel ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you so much, I’ll definitely talk to a seamstress to see what my options are! But from what you’re saying, I would guess it’s crinoline. It is really stiff and bulky and I think that’s what’s making me dislike it. It doesn’t feel flowy at all. I haven’t had it hemmed yet, but I will regardless because there is so much fabric and it’s really long so I can’t walk currently
  • Elri
    Dedicated September 2021
    Elri ·
    • Flag
    Alterations Question! 6
    Alterations Question! 7

Also keep in mind that the bottom will look different depending on if your standing still or walking. My dress had one layer of organza and when I walked it moved with me.
  • R
    Dedicated April 2022
    Rachel ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Your dress is stunning! See, I love how you had a little flare at the bottom but it isn’t crazy bulky like mine. I feel like I’m trying to alter my dress to be like your silhouette, but I’m not sure if it is possible because of the tulle fabric. Even if I did take out the crinoline under layers
  • Elri
    Dedicated September 2021
    Elri ·
    • Flag
    I’m sure you can. If I were to guess your crinoline layers underneath are placed in upside “V’s” in strategic spots. See how your dress comes out in upside down v’s on the sides? My dress is constructed the same exact way. Your dress is very similar to mine. I’m positive you can make it the way you exactly want.
  • R
    Dedicated April 2022
    Rachel ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks so much for your input! You’ve made me feel less stressed and I’m hoping I can alter it to something I like more! Thanks so much
  • Elri
    Dedicated September 2021
    Elri ·
    • Flag
    Your welcome. Your dress is stunning as well! Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics