Caitlin
Savvy October 2020

Alterations at David’s Bridal

Caitlin, on January 20, 2020 at 4:45 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 21
Saved
Has anyone had alterations done at David’s bridal? I have an alterations appointment set for July for my dress I purchased a few weeks ago. As you can see I’m petite so I need like, a foot cut off the bottom of the dress plus the sleeves and shoulders to be taken up. I’m hoping I don’t have to pay an arm and a leg for alterations but that’s what I’m thinking. My local seamstress has retired and I’m not sure who else I could go to. Reviews of DB?Alterations at David’s Bridal 1

21 Comments

Latest activity by Serena, on February 15, 2020 at 4:15 PM
  • Kionna
    Savvy February 2020
    Kionna ·
    • Flag
    DB is pretty pricey. I had to have my dresses gemmed add cups take the side in half an inch and that alone was $330
  • Kionna
    Savvy February 2020
    Kionna ·
    • Flag
    Stupid iPhone but I meant I had to have my dress hemmed
  • Mrs. S
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. S ·
    • Flag
    I was prepared to spend $500 on alterations and it cost me $365. My dress had five layers and I needed a hem, cap sleeves, bustle, and bra cups. I was happy with it.
  • K
    Dedicated October 2019
    KAREN ·
    • Flag

DB was pricy. My dress was less than $500.00 and alterations cost about $300. BUT, they did an amazing job and without their alterations it would not have looked nearly as good (and these weren't simple hemming ones, they added straps, fixed the bustline completely, etc).

I also used DB as a bridesmaid and found them to be WAY cheaper (obviously) but also having done a great job.

• Caitlin
    Savvy October 2020
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s not too bad for all of that work. Thanks!
  • Caitlin
    Savvy October 2020
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks for the review! I wouldn’t mind paying $300 to look awesome! Lol
  • K
    Dedicated October 2019
    KAREN ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

It was a little pricy IMO but worth it. They added a bustle, fixed the bust (despite the fact that I am a DD, it was still HUGE on me), added sleeves, hemmed the bottom, and a bunch of other things. I walked out of there with my dress looking pretty much like it was made for me.

• Brittany
    Dedicated June 2020
    Brittany ·
    • Flag
    I have used DB twice, both times for BM dresses. I found them to be pricey and more difficult to get exactly what I wanted done. I ended up going with a local seamstress and am very happy with that decision.
  • A
    Super February 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    I used DB. The dress cost $500 and the alterations another $500. I was expecting the alterations to be a lot less, but they needed to do a lot to the dress.
  • MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

I can't say anything about the price since daughter's dress didn't come from DB. However, based on the photo, I think one potential "advantage" to your dress needing to be shortened is that the bottom of the skirt doesn't have a lace border or other special edging that will need to be removed and then replaced after the skirt is shortened -- that drives up the price of a hem considerably. Although it looks like you have a few layers (which will each need to be shortened, increasing the price), they should be pretty simple to do. Also, they may shorten the dress in the front and on the sides to the point where it starts to flare out into the train, but not have to do anything in the back (the train is going to drag behind you regardless). Good luck!

• Caitlin
    Savvy October 2020
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks! Yeah I am planning on leaving the back as is, I just want the front shortened so I don’t trip lol.
  • Caitlin
    Savvy October 2020
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That is a lot, but in your opinion was it worth it? How good of a job did they do?
  • Kionna
    Savvy February 2020
    Kionna ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I believe that it was something any seamstress could have done at a more affordable price.
  • Taylor
    Dedicated October 2020
    Taylor ·
    • Flag

I'm paying 650.00 to have mine done. It deff is on the pricy side however I want to have no mistakes with my dress. The bridal shop I purchased my dress from is doing my alterations.

• Serena
    Devoted October 2020
    Serena ·
    • Flag
    My estimate was between 400 and 500. 200 for hem, 100 for bustles (Cathedral train), 40 to have bust taken in, 30 to add straps, 20 for cups, 20 to have my belt sewn in. I feel like I'm missing something else. I'm not sure if all DBs are the same. I will find out Feb 15. The quote I got was from the store in my hometown. I will be going to the DB here closest to me for the actual alterations
  • Noelle
    Expert November 2019
    Noelle ·
    • Flag
    I hadn’t mine done at DB, price was about $600. Pricey, but it was done in a week and it wasn’t done well. I had a hem done (it was a scalloped lace edge with several layers), taken in around the hips and bust, and a modesty panel added. So yes to me it was worth it. I had no time to shop around.
  • Noelle
    Expert November 2019
    Noelle ·
    • Flag
    Ok, stupid phone autocorrecting...my post should have said it WAS done well. Not wasn’t.
  • Jenny
    Savvy November 2021
    Jenny ·
    • Flag

I have the same dress from DB and I'm trying to figure out if I want to do alterations from DB as well. I am trying to figure out if I will be lining the top due to being very large busted. Let me know how your alterations journey goes Smiley smile

• Brittany
    Beginner May 2021
    Brittany ·
    • Flag
    If I were you I would look elsewhere for Alterations… I’ve had friends who have had their alterations done at David’s bridal and said that they paid an arm and a leg for something a simple mom and pop shop would do for half the price… For reference I needed my dress taken in 1 inch and the place I am at cost me $100.
  • A
    Dedicated June 2020
    Aundreya ·
    • Flag
    Alterations at David’s Bridal 2
    I had my shoulders pinned, sides pinned, and couple extra to help alter around my non existent shoulder, and it had some taken off the bottom because I am so short, and then added the 3 buttons on the back to hold my dress up. It cost me 450$ and this was from davids bridal. They charge you by the pinning snd where it is and how much needs taken off. And they give you pricing for each thing they pin and give you options as to what you want to pay for to be altered.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics