Danielle
Dedicated October 2021

Alteration cost

Danielle, on April 10, 2021 at 9:49 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 1 22
Saved
Hi everyone. I just picked up my dress yesterday and scheduled my alterations with the dress shop. They are quoting me $550-$750. Is this a good price for this dress? I will say that there are a lot of layers in the front.Alteration cost 1

Alteration cost 2

22 Comments

Latest activity by Danielle, on April 11, 2021 at 11:31 AM
  • Laurel
    Savvy August 2021
    Laurel ·
    • Flag
    I don’t know if it’s a good price, but I was quoted about the same for my dress, and I got similar quotes from three different shops. I am in an expensive city, though.
  • Sarah
    Master September 2019
    Sarah Online ·
    • Flag
    This really depends on where you live and what you’re having done to the dress. To have my dress hemmed(3 layers of dress), the zipper changed to a corset, and cups added I paid $450.
  • Danielle
    Dedicated October 2021
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ok. I need the dress hemmed, will probably need it taken in by August (hopefully), cups added, and bustled. I'm in NJ.
  • Laurel
    Savvy August 2021
    Laurel ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This is basically the same exact work I’m getting except the cups for the same price range, and I’m in Boston if that helps! I don’t think it’s a steal but from what I’ve seen it’s about going rate here.
  • Dj Tanner
    June 2021
    Dj Tanner ·
    • Flag
    Yeah, you might be able to find a way better price going to a well-known alterations shop instead of the actual bridal shop. I was quoted almost double at the bridal shop and then I went to a very well-known alterations shop. They have better reviews, been in business for years, and the price was so much better.
  • Samantha
    Just Said Yes June 2021
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    I think it’s in the ballpark. I was charged $750 for my dress, which is made of a charmeuse satin. The price included the alterations, building in cups, the bustle, attaching a belt, and steaming my dress and veil.
  • Teresa
    Just Said Yes May 2021
    Teresa ·
    • Flag
    Yes, that’s a normal range for the work you’re having done. The only time it would be less is when a bride’s measurements are almost exactly how the particular dress is made. Used to work at a bridal shop. I got extremely lucky with my gown because my measurements matched the dress maker. Only needed a bustle for the reception and that was already $150 by alone. Plus I am wearing 4 inch shoes (thick heel supports, so didn’t need a hem either.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Legend March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    Yup! About what I paid and the bridal shop I worked at for a few mo the quoted $650-$850 for basic alterations.
  • Monica
    VIP October 2021
    Monica ·
    • Flag
    The hemming is what costs the most. Im lucky my dress length is great. Only slightly long but not enough to shell out $$ for hemming. My alterations to take it in slightly in the boob area & add cups was only about $150-200. If I would have got it hemmed it would have been about $500.
  • Monica
    VIP October 2021
    Monica ·
    • Flag
    Also forgot to add that I got a bustle as well.
  • Jenni
    Dedicated May 2022
    Jenni ·
    • Flag

I have no idea about alteration costs, but I just have to say...that dress is GORGEOUS.

• Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    Your dress is gorgeous! It depends on what you’re having done. My daughters alterations are already at $680 and she’s probably not finished.
  • Kj21
    Dedicated May 2021
    Kj21 ·
    • Flag
    Yes! Really depends on where you live! You can bring it elsewhere to get quotes. I did mine at the bridal salon which looks VERY similar to your dress and paid $595 for basic hem, bustle and bringing in the midsection. I decided to go with them because my best friend was married the year before and took her dress all over for quotes. She told me it was a great price. Keep in mind, we also live outside of a major city.
  • Expert June 2021
    ·
    • Flag
    I just finished my first alterations appointment today as well and was quoted 850 (the max) because I need to have the dress taken in everywhere but the waist and an 11 point bustle and hem. I thought I was in the clear because the scale has been the same since I picked up the dress at my try on in December and took it home. I had a perfect fit at that time.
  • Shaylyn
    Beginner September 2021
    Shaylyn ·
    • Flag

I just picked up my dress and was quoted from the Alterations seamstress between $500-$550 which would be due in full in my first fitting appointment. This includes bustle, shortening of hem (tulle skirt) and work on the lace beaded bodice.

• Brianna
    Savvy August 2022
    Brianna ·
    • Flag
    I was quoted the same thing, it included:
    - heming
    - bust- waist - steaming the week beforeAnd I think one more thing
  • Kiara
    VIP August 2021
    Kiara ·
    • Flag
    Beautiful dress and wow these prices are up there I'm from nj also thanks for sharing
  • Buttaflybride
    Just Said Yes April 2021
    Buttaflybride ·
    • Flag
    Yeah, unfortunately that sounds about right! Alterations have been a hard pill for me to swallow. I was totally sticker shocked! But honestly that has been the case for me with pretty much everything wedding related lol. Mine totaled $1,050 for both my ceremony and reception dress and I’m in Atlanta.

• Angela
    Savvy June 2021
    Angela ·
    • Flag
    That is craziness. The bridal shop quoted me $750 (I am 5'10" and plan on wearing flats) without any hemming. I need the waist taken in, cups added, and a bustle. My dress is a bit simpler with an illusion neckline and slightly stretchy crepe bodice. I think that brings the price down some. I found a local seamstress just outside of LA who usually makes custom bridal gowns. Her quote was $175 max without even seeing the dress in person and she can have it back to me in 3 days with a single fitting. It's such a blessing because my dress is running late - even after $300 rush fee (I rush ordered in Dec 2020). It's scheduled to arrive May 15 and the wedding is June 12.
  • Kayla
    Beginner October 2021
    Kayla ·
    • Flag
    I have no advice for the quote but seeing how much people have paid is scaring me lol. I know I’m going to end up needing mine taken in, not looking forward to the price of that 😅

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics