Aspen
Just Said Yes September 2019

Already legally married.. but now am having “my dream wedding” advice or suggestions please!

Aspen, on July 17, 2019 at 1:00 PM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 13
Saved Save
Okay so I’m November my husband and I got legally married, basically like a courthouse deal except his mom is actually licensed to marry people so we had her do it and it was just us and our parents.. my husband was married years before (one of those right out of school 18 yr olds couples) needless to say it didn’t end happy for him.. I however haven’t been married before and I’ve always dreamed of my wedding (duh I’m a chick!) my husband wants me to be able have this wedding of my dreams and honestly I want him to have a wedding that will be filled with love and happiness due to his first one not being the most loving and happy thing.. my husband is horrible at making decisions he usually tells me “whatever you want honey” we’ll then that leads me to procrastinate.. 🙄 anyway we’re doing our wedding/reception thingy in September. I have adapted my viewpoint on my “dream wedding” due to shorter planning time as well as not really knowing what’s appropriate or how big of a thing to make this since we are already married.. I did think about just doing a celebratory reception deal.. however I really really want to wear my pretty wedding dress (kinda dumb I know🤷🏻‍♀️) and my best friend wasn’t a part of us getting married in November and I really want her to be a part of this day as well as my husbands close friends. I guess I’m just looking for thoughts, ideas, or advice on the ceremony part.. do we do the whole thing from the walking down the isle, have his mom essentially remarry us, our vows, exchange rings and kiss? Or are there some other ideas out there that may fit my situation a little better? We’ve also got a 16 month old son (well technically he’s my step son.. but I was with his dad before he was born and have been a part of his life from day one... I’m actually a SAHM so he spends everyday with me) that I really want to somehow incorporate into the ceremony.. sorry for the longest post probably ever on here!! I’m just stuck and any thoughts or ideas would be so so greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!!

13 Comments

• Cher Horowitz
    Rockstar December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·

You can do any type of ceremony you'd like, be it traditional or non-traditional! You can still do vows since this would essentially be a vow renewal. Maybe you and your husband can do a unity ceremony that includes your son, like a sand ceremony or candle lighting!

• Aspen
    Aspen ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I was actually thinking about the sand ceremony thing.. I need to research it because I’m not even sure how that goes. But I did think that would be a special way of including our son!
  • Jessica
    VIP September 2020
    Jessica ·
    Congratulations! Wear your pretty dress, include your closest friends, definitely include your son, say vows, do whatever you want to do. With rings, since I assume you’re both already wearing them, you could do a ring blessing and then put them back on each other.
    My FH is also the “whatever makes you happy” type, but he’s finally started giving me some input (we got engaged in February). I just keep asking and sharing my ideas, and if he says he doesn’t care I try to take him into consideration anyways. Happy planning!
  • Jessica
    VIP September 2020
    Jessica ·
    View Quoted Comment
    That would be cute, pick one color for each of the three of you and combine them during the ceremony. I really like the glass ceremony. I plan to get 4 colors, one for each of us and each of our kids, we’ll combine during the ceremony, and then have a vase made to display.
  • Jazmin
    Rockstar April 2019
    Jazmin ·
    It's up to you, my husband and I got legally married in June 2018 and we had our ceremony in April this year. We exchanged vows, had a small destination wedding and did the whole wedding thing. That's what we wanted and we're more than happy with the final result.

Make your dreams come true and have fun!

• Aspen
    Aspen ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Did you guys have a line and that stuff too? That’s one thing I’m struggling with is doing the line as well as having our parents and stuff walk down the isle..
  • Caylin
    Dedicated October 2020
    Caylin ·

First, congratulations! We are already married as well and are doing the ceremony (reading our vows) and reception! : ) A unity ceremony would be awesome to include your son! Have the dream wedding

• Jazmin
    Rockstar April 2019
    Jazmin ·
    View Quoted Comment

What do you mean with "the line"?

• IvyAndKris
    Rockstar October 2019
    IvyAndKris ·

We are getting legally married on a Thursday (our anniversary) and having a celebration with friends and family that Saturday. We go back and forth on using our engagement rings for this part or doing away with the rings since our wedding bands are inscribed with in honor of our anniversary day and the loved one we lost that is responsible for bringing us together. At first I didn't think I wanted the whole thing but because I didn't get to pick a single thing for my first wedding, seriously, he chose my dress, I am loving the idea of making this day special for both of us. There are plenty of ways to include your son as well. He can be placed in a wagon with a ring pillow, or bring him up to share your vows to him and his father. If you choose not to do rings there are plenty of ceremonies that symbolize the same or similar meaning. There is sand, candle, or a handfasting that places your hands and trust in each other then binds your vows with a knot. Google is your friend for unique ideas. Enjoy your day and feel beautiful in that dress!!!

• Aspen
    Aspen ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!!! And yes I am definitely googling like crazy!!
  • Aspen
    Aspen ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Like maid of honor best man thing lol sorry
  • Jazmin
    Rockstar April 2019
    Jazmin ·
    View Quoted Comment

We didn't do it, because we didn't fill like doing it. But if that's part of your vision you can absolutely do it.

• Florida Marlins
    Devoted October 2017
    Florida Marlins ·

Do people know you are married? Your wedding was last November - this is a celebration of vows. Wear whatever you want to wear!

Comment on this discussion