Sydney
Beginner September 2020

Affordable European Honeymoon

Sydney, on November 3, 2019 at 4:24 PM

Posted in Honeymoon 29

My fiancé and I have been dreaming about a luxury European honeymoon in the Amalfi Coast, French Riviera, or Greece, but it is SO expensive. Since we are living in Chicago, many flights leave from Ohare Airport, but they are not cheap. We are thinking of staying in Air BnB's or small family owned...
My fiancé and I have been dreaming about a luxury European honeymoon in the Amalfi Coast, French Riviera, or Greece, but it is SO expensive. Since we are living in Chicago, many flights leave from Ohare Airport, but they are not cheap. We are thinking of staying in Air BnB's or small family owned BnB's to make it cheaper, but it is starting to feel impossible due to the travel costs just to get there. Does anyone have ideas of under-rated, affordable places to travel in Europe? We heard Croatia and Portugal are nice, but are not sure its worth it for the little savings. All advice welcome! Thanks!

29 Comments

• Kelley-jo
    Just Said Yes May 2021
    Kelley-jo ·
    • Flag
    I would recommend Barcelona,Spain. Its such a growing city but under rated. So flight tickets seem to be cheaper. and from there you can travel out.
  • Amanda
    VIP December 2020
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    I was just on a quick girls trip with some friends of mine in Budapest, Hungary and it was so much fun and a beautiful city. We rented an AirBNB for $65 USD per night and food/drinks were also very affordable. I would check it out!!

Affordable European Honeymoon 1

Affordable European Honeymoon 2

Affordable European Honeymoon 3

Affordable European Honeymoon 4
  • K
    Expert September 2021
    Ka-Rina ·
    • Flag
    You can absolutely do this under 5k!!!! I agree w others about not being afraid to pick a destination like Croatia or Portugal!!!!!!
    We just went to Italy in mid April for 12 days and spent under 3k!!! We had a car for 8 out of those days and stayed at beautiful airbnbs (think old City centers, terraces, balconies, gorgeous views, etc). I agree with those who said to not be afraid to look on Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity. I almost always book thru there. For flights I prefer google.com/flights - you can just put in your airport and dates you want and type in Europe as your destination - it will show all flights it can pull.
    Good luck and have fun!!!
  • K
    Expert September 2021
    Ka-Rina ·
    • Flag
    Just looked at your wedding date - 2 more thoughts. If you push your honeymoon to mid October you will get much better deals on everything. Also, aside higher costs, traveling to well known popular destinations like Amalfi coast could be a disaster. We went in mid April and it was crowded but not awful, gf just got back from her honeymoon there (went late October) and said it was very crowded and that she can't imagine what it's like during peak season. Lines, traffic, everything more expensive. So I'd either stick to a less popular destination or push the dates of your honeymoon. Less money and hassle. Just food for thought.
  • Marina
    Savvy September 2021
    Marina ·
    • Flag
    Croatia is absolutely incredible. Much better than Greece in my opinion and Croatia is very very cheap! Accommodations and food both! I would choose Croatia over Greece any day.
  • Zoe O.
    Devoted November 2019
    Zoe O. ·
    • Flag

We're going to Ireland and with airfare and lodging for 9 days, our total is under $2,500. Of course, there are meals and souvenirs and sight-seeing to factor, but we've done our research and budgeted it at about $2,000 (and that's OVER budgeting)

• Savannah
    Savvy June 2020
    Savannah ·
    • Flag
    My FH and I flew nonstop Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona roundtrip for $500 each in May and averaged $46 per night in NICE Airbnbs in Barcelona and Porto, Portugal. (Flight is Porto was less than $100.) it ended up being $2400 total (including tons of food and wine, one day trip tour, and public transportation) for 6 nights! I also went with a friend to Amsterdam for 5 nights and paid the same. You just gotta be flexible and crafty! Literally google cheap flights to Europe and go from there!
  • Cynthia
    Devoted November 2019
    Cynthia ·
    • Flag
    We used expedia we going to Athens and Santorini for 2 weeks it cost us $6,000 which included flights and the hotels. We leave tmrw early in the morning so excited!!
  • Sydney
    Beginner September 2020
    Sydney ·
    • Flag
    Thank you all so much for your help! After a couple cocktails tonight and flipping a coin several times, we have decided to go for France! I would still love your guys opinions on where you think it we should go. I know flying in and out of Paris is usually cheapest and fastest, but we are thinking maybe we fly in there and fly out somewhere else. We love the idea of going to Paris, but we don't want to spend too much time on the touristy things. We definitely want to enjoy the coastal experience as well as exploring vineyards and good food. Thanks so much again, you guys have been a HUGE help.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics