April
Just Said Yes July 2020

Advice on officiant

April, on June 25, 2020 at 3:13 PM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 5
Saved
OK. So my fiance and I just want to get married in the eyes of God first and foremost. My question is. Do we have to have a marriage license from the court house judge before we can hire a preacher to do our vows like at our home? Or a park? Just something small? Any advice is appreciated.

5 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on June 26, 2020 at 4:38 AM
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

Technically you can have a ceremony without it but it would just be symbolic and not legal. the marriage license makes the marriage legal.

• Mrs. S
    Super November 2019
    Mrs. S ·
    • Flag
    If you want to marry legally, you need a marriage license from your state. The date you need to get it by depends on your state. At the wedding ceremony, you can give the form to your preacher to sign and send if s/he is licensed in your state. If you can’t find a licensed officiant or preacher then you can always get married symbolically if not legally. Or you can get married legally at the courthouse and then have a symbolic ceremony.
  • Jana
    Master October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    Yes if you want it to be legal then you need to get a license from the government office that issues them. Officiants including ministers will not perform the ceremony without one.
  • Brandi
    Devoted July 2020
    Brandi ·
    • Flag
    A legal marriage requires a marriage license. Typically, you set the date (with everyone - vendors, officiant etc.) and then get the ML. In PA, you have 60 days from the day it was issued to use it. Since COVID, PA also allows for a self-uniting marriage (just a witness without an officiant).
  • A
    Super October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    You need the license for it to be legal and recognized. Some counties in some states are doing online applications since so many places are still closed. The standard is having to go in person to apply, though. Requirements and rules for the license vary by state.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics