Dominique
Savvy September 2020

Advice about religion

Dominique, on May 23, 2019 at 9:16 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 13
Saved

Hello,

My fiance is Muslim and Im christian he is mother is more into the religion then him and I am concern for pictures. That she will not be willing to participate in the photos.

13 Comments

Latest activity by D, on May 24, 2019 at 6:01 AM
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

I'm not familiar with the Muslim faith, do photos somehow conflict with her beliefs? If so, I'm not sure there's anything you can do.

• Mandi
    Master October 2020
    Mandi ·
    • Flag
    All you can do is ask her if she will be participating. If she chooses not to, you'll just have to respect that.
  • Iva
    Super September 2019
    Iva ·
    • Flag
    Religion or personal preference, if someone doesn’t want to be in photos that’s their choice, so you need to let them not be in photos. I’m not sure why you are concerned about this.
  • Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    If you already know that her she might not take photos then there’s nothing to worry about. You’re already aware that it may happen. So if it does, it’s not a surprise and you just roll with it.
  • Kelly
    VIP October 2020
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    You can't force her, but maybe ask your fiance to tell her it would mean a lot to him to have a photo taken with you both. Maybe you can compromise on only one or two really nice photos
  • Btbride
    Super August 2019
    Btbride ·
    • Flag

My dad is Muslim and I've never heard of any sort of religious exemption to taking photos in Islam.

• Dominique
    Savvy September 2020
    Dominique ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I'm not sure if she just making things up. Im trying to research because, i have from that are muslim and they take pictures. I just want to be respectful.

• S
    Savvy June 2019
    Sheila ·
    • Flag
    I’m Muslim, I haven’t heard of Muslims not taking pictures. She maybe super conservative, and it be her personal preference, not a religious mandate. Does she have any pictures in her house with her and her family?
  • Dominique
    Savvy September 2020
    Dominique ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    No, no picture up in her house. Buy she did take one for our son graduation.
  • J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Exactly. No law saying anyone must be in any wedding photos. Every person with a preference not to, for any reason, from shyness to religion to dislike of being photographed, should be respected. Let the photographer know it, and if other religious or modest women in the family or guest group would object, warn the photographer about them. So what if she is missing from pictures, if that is who she is and how she feels, her family will not mind not seeing her or others.
  • J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I know ultra- Orthodox Jewish women and some Amish women who will not be photographed except under certain circumstances, like ID. Especially not where people with them in the picture are wearing immodest clothes, or modern wasteful ones. Look at Hassidic Jews or Amish women's mode of dress. And there are Christian sects, other than Amish, who have gone to court to have the right not to be photographed without their permission. A friend has one aunt and one great aunt who are nuns, and when they visit their families homes once or twice a year, all mirrors in their house must be covered , something about discouraging vanity and narcissism, and other worldly things, the better to focus on their love of God and the church. I don't explain it well, not my religion. But the particular religion other they belong to , feels it important. Just respect it.
  • J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    Corrections : "particular religious order".
  • D
    Super July 2020
    D ·
    • Flag
    Maybe ask if she will be in 1 photo. If she agrees choose your shot wisely!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics