L
Just Said Yes December 2022

Addressing Invitations to Doctors

Liz, on October 19, 2021 at 9:54 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 6
Saved

I have two very close friends (one is my MOH) who go by Dr. Maiden Name in their professions and Mrs. Married Name socially. One is a dentist and one is a Ph.D. How would I address them on the invitation? Is it Mr. and Mrs. Married Name because this is a social invite or Dr. Maiden Name and Mr. Husband? Mr. Husband and Dr. Married Name?
Every website I found googling said something different.

Looking to do this with the utmost formality because that's fun for me. Smiley smile

6 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on October 20, 2021 at 1:37 PM
  • Hannah
    Master July 2019
    Hannah Online ·
    • Flag
    Since they're such close friends, I would just ask them directly what they prefer.
  • Jasmine E.
    Rockstar May 2022
    Jasmine E. ·
    • Flag
    I believe standard etiquette is to use professional titles, but as said above, it seems like you're close enough with them that you could just ask.
  • Barbara
    Beginner July 2022
    Barbara ·
    • Flag

I have a cousin who is a vet and is married to a vet. His wife kept her maiden name, so they're both doctors, but different last names. I'm planning on doing "Dr. FirstName X and Dr. FirstName Y" for their invitation. Not sure if it's correct, but that's how I generally address their holiday cards!

• Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle Online ·
    • Flag
    Professional titles are reserved for work functions only. A wedding invitation is a social event so you use their social names and titles.
  • MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree with this, especially since you've said they use their husbands' names socially. A wedding is a social occasion.

• Michelle
    Devoted August 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

I say it's a know-your crowd thing. In my circle, formality is straightforward and so envelopes should include "Engr. or Captain" (esp if older). In your example, I would use "Doctor maiden name" (dentist) and "Dr. maiden name" (PhD). But, really it's best to ask them. Some prefer to be addressed as Mr. and Mrs. partner's name.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics