Just Said Yes December 2022

Addressing Invitations to Doctors

Liz, on October 19, 2021 at 9:54 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 6

I have two very close friends (one is my MOH) who go by Dr. Maiden Name in their professions and Mrs. Married Name socially. One is a dentist and one is a Ph.D. How would I address them on the invitation? Is it Mr. and Mrs. Married Name because this is a social invite or Dr. Maiden Name and Mr. Husband? Mr. Husband and Dr. Married Name?
Every website I found googling said something different.

Looking to do this with the utmost formality because that's fun for me. Smiley smile


Latest activity by Michelle, on October 20, 2021 at 1:37 PM
  • Hannah
    Master July 2019
    Hannah Online ·
    • Flag
    Since they're such close friends, I would just ask them directly what they prefer.
    • Reply
  • Jasmine E.
    Rockstar May 2022
    Jasmine E. ·
    • Flag
    I believe standard etiquette is to use professional titles, but as said above, it seems like you're close enough with them that you could just ask.
    • Reply
  • Barbara
    Beginner July 2022
    Barbara ·
    • Flag

    I have a cousin who is a vet and is married to a vet. His wife kept her maiden name, so they're both doctors, but different last names. I'm planning on doing "Dr. FirstName X and Dr. FirstName Y" for their invitation. Not sure if it's correct, but that's how I generally address their holiday cards!

    • Reply
  • Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle Online ·
    • Flag
    Professional titles are reserved for work functions only. A wedding invitation is a social event so you use their social names and titles.
    • Reply
  • MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    I agree with this, especially since you've said they use their husbands' names socially. A wedding is a social occasion.

    • Reply
  • Michelle
    Devoted August 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

    I say it's a know-your crowd thing. In my circle, formality is straightforward and so envelopes should include "Engr. or Captain" (esp if older). In your example, I would use "Doctor maiden name" (dentist) and "Dr. maiden name" (PhD). But, really it's best to ask them. Some prefer to be addressed as Mr. and Mrs. partner's name.

    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇


Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more


WeddingWire article topics