Skip to main content
Maira
Beginner July 2020

a mess

Maira, on July 18, 2019 at 11:43 AM Posted in Planning 0 7
Saved
So after a couple months of not planning our reception party my now husband and I have gotten back into the planning but I have no idea where to start..we had to look for a new venue since the last one didn’t work out we have two places this weekend were looking at and that will be where we start but I don’t know how to go about the ceremony if we’re already married I don’t know if I should have bridesmaids, I’m just all over the place and I don’t know how to organize any of my ideas. Please any suggestions I would highly appreciate. Thank you all!

7 Comments

Latest activity by Soffia, on July 19, 2019 at 9:43 AM
  • Kelly
    Super October 2019
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    I would start w/ the venue - as you don’t really have a wedding date until the venue is booked.
  • Nikita
    VIP April 2019
    Nikita ·
    • Flag

I'm assuming you have a budget and have created a line item for all your items (vendors, decor, attire, etc.). So now, definitely focus on the foundations of the day: venue and guest list. That will lock in your date and the biggest factor that affects your budget (guest list). After that, you can focus on other vendors and the little stuff.

Also, even though your already married, you can do anything you want - have a wedding party if you want one! Think of the flavor/personality you want for the day, and go from there.

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    My friends got married in May in an elopement with just the two of them but are having a wedding celebration in October. I think they're foregoing the ceremony and only doing he reception
  • Sinéad
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2025
    Sinéad ·
    • Flag

Hey Maira!

Looking at venues is definitely the best place to start. Have you and your SO decided on a budget for your reception? This is so important to keep in mind as you are viewing locations since you don’t want to fall in love with somewhere that you cannot afford.

Are you planning on having a symbolic ceremony or a vow renewal? Or are you only having your reception at this time?

• Sherry
    Master September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag

If you are already married and just planning a reception, you wouldn't have any type of ceremony. You are just planning a party.

• Chris
    Dedicated August 2019
    Chris ·
    • Flag

Congratulations on your marriage! Now you get to have fun and design the celebration that you want! The questions of whether or not to do a ceremony is completely up to you and how you envision your celebration. Lots of couples renew their vows. Perhaps you'd like a shortened ceremony with a chance to renew your vows with your partner in front of your family and friends? Or, if you didn't have written vows during your marriage, maybe you'd like to write your personal vows this time for one another. I don't think a full service or readings are totally necessary, unless you want them to be part of your big day. One question I would think about is what are you hoping for from this event: Are you looking to have a party/celebration of your recent marriage? Are you attempting to create the wedding so that all your friends and family will see you married? Do you want traditional or non-traditional? Formal or casual? The way you think about these may change the way the day looks for you two. Don't worry though- many couples have had the exact same questions to consider and no matter what you choose it will all work out great!

As others have mentioned, setting a general budget and booking a venue are the two most important two steps to take. Not only will this help you solidify a date, but it will also determine the next steps you need to take in planning. Some venues include catering and decorations, while others (like ours) are a complete blank slate and require very detailed planning. Once the venue is booked, you can breath a bit and move to the next steps.

If you're ever stuck, you've got a community here that can help you with the next steps. This has really been a supportive force for me and provided so many great tips.

• S
    Just Said Yes April 2021
    Soffia ·
    • Flag
    Hi well I’m starting to look at venue for my wedding as I’ve been married for two years will be in December but now me and my husband decided to do a wedding and I will have everything engagement shoots the party the bridesmaids lol you only do it one why not go all out

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics