Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Super July 2020

$5 per Drink

Stephanie, on November 25, 2019 at 10:24 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 30

Hey Ladies. So FH and I found the perfect venue, but the only hiccup is that we can't bring our own liquor in. We already purchased a beverage package for $1595 and that's just for regular drinks for 200 guests. Regular drinks include: water, soda, juice and the chamoagne for the toast. Beer, wine, and liquor are $5. To add liquor for 200 people would be an additional $5000. Smiley surprise FH has done so much to make our wedding day amazing. There is no way I would ask him to pay 5K more on top of the 8K he has already paid for the venue and then some. So I need help on how to word on the invitations that the liquor drinks will be $5 per drink.

Also I had an idea of all of my BM's first round of drinks would be on me.

What are your thoughts?

30 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on December 3, 2019 at 6:14 AM
  • M
    Expert September 2020
    Marcia ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    So, does regular drinks include beer, wine, soda, juice, etc?

I wouldn’t put that on your invitation, but maybe on your details insert or on your wedding website.
  • Stephanie
    Super July 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

Regular drinks include: water, sodas, juice, and champagne for the toast. Liquor and wine is $5

• Vannesa
    Expert October 2021
    Vannesa ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Possibly put that there is a cash bar?

• Stephanie
    Super July 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

Ok cool. Thanks. I think I am Leary about everyone's opinions. There is already enough of that going around.

• W
    VIP September 2020
    Willow ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    Have your website say there will be cash bar. Don't put it on invite
  • Stephanie
    Super July 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

Do you think people will not show up if its on the invite?

• Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Can you ask the venue if it would be less money to just add on wine and beer for your guests?

Alternately, you could ask do a consumption bar where you just pay for the liquor that your guests consume, rather than paying a flat $5k fee. Though I guess that would only be worth it depending on how heavily you expect your guests to drink. In order for $5000 to come out to $5 per drink, each of your guests would have to have 5 alcoholic drinks. Does that seem likely to you? If not, you're better off paying per drink. You could also see if they'll let you put a limit on the consumption bar (i.e. you and your FH pay for the first $2k worth of liquor and after that runs out, it becomes a cash bar)

• Stephanie
    Super July 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

We have already asked those questions hun. Its either cash bar or purchase through them.

• Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    Well if you did a “cash bar” you could see if you could still pick up the first part of the tab?
  • Stephanie
    Super July 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

Yeah I was thinking of doing something like that. Thanks.

• W
    VIP September 2020
    Willow ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    I believe etiquette dictates that you're not supposed to put anything about gifts, spending money, etc on the invite

I don't think it would actually discourage people from coming, there are simply things that aren't supposed to go on an invite
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s what I would do! Figure out the most you can afford to spend without putting a financial strain on yourselves, and just cover that much.

You really should provide *some* drinks for your guests but, it’s not worth putting yourself into debt over lol. Just cover what you can.
  • Stephanie
    Super July 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you so much

• Stephanie
    Super July 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

Right. Thank you Smiley smile

• Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    That’s interesting..... So they’re going to charge you $5000 flat without knowing what or how much people actually end up drinking? If all 200 of your guests had three alcoholic drinks ($15 each) that would total $3000. So what happens with the remaining unused $2000 that you paid for?
  • Stephanie
    Super July 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

My thoughts exactly. Which is one reason why we decided to just do the cash bar.

• KimandLarry
    Dedicated June 2021
    KimandLarry ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

We're doing a tabbed bar option. We're paying for the first $2500 and if it goes over that then it becomes a cash bar. We're doing beer, wine, and well drinks. Anything that isn't on the list is available for guests to pay for themselves but I'm not paying for a $10 glass of scotch lol.

• Catherine
    VIP November 2019
    Catherine ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

This is tough .. for ours we only included beer wine and champagne for our guests. and then it was a cash bar for any liquor. I kind of spread the word by mouth when people were discussing the wedding with me (also told them to bring IDs) and then at the bar i had this sign...

$5 per Drink 1

• Catherine
    VIP November 2019
    Catherine ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

This is a good idea.. perhaps tell the venue you are willing to pay for the tab up to X amount. say the first $500 or whatever you are comfortable affording.

• Stephanie
    Super July 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

Lol that sounds like a good plan.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics