S
Savvy July 2020

2Nd wedding

Stacey, on May 25, 2020 at 11:57 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 15
Saved
Hi Ladies. I’m 49 years old and will be having my second wedding on 7/11 (yes we are moving forward). Anyway, between me and my FH we have 7 kids. All of them will be in our wedding. My mom is a bit old fashioned and can’t believe we are having a big wedding because it’s our second. I am wearing a traditional white wedding dress (looks like it could be for a first wedding). My mom kinda got in my head about a cousin of mine who got remarried a couple of years ago to a man she lived with for years and had kids with even. She said she made a fool of herself for wearing a regular dress and many family members were pissed. Now, I’m not really inviting those family members, it’s mostly friends. However, now she has gotten in my head about my dress. Will I be making a fool of myself? (Side note- this was the only thing my FH asked of me...a white wedding dress).

15 Comments

Latest activity by Martha, on May 26, 2020 at 5:21 PM
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    It’s your wedding! You can wear whatever you want Smiley smile I’m sure you will look lovely.

The whole tradition of wearing white to your wedding was originally a symbol of virginity... now, obviously you are not a virgin having been married before and having kids........ but like 99% of brides that get married in this day and age are not virgins at their wedding either 😂 so like, at this point I think having the white dress as a symbol of virginity is extremely outdated and incorrect. It’s just nice to wear a white dress for your wedding. There doesn’t have to be any meaning behind it and no one will look silly in it!
  • Cristy
    Master May 2021
    Cristy ·
    • Flag

I think those ideas of a white dress signifying virginity are old fashioned and outdated. It's understandable that your mom would feel that way, as she came from a different generation. But you shouldn't feel bad about those things now. If you look around this community, you'll see that there are all kinds of weddings for all kinds of people. Most of us here no longer subscribe to the out dated ways of doing things, and prefer to make our weddings whatever we want them to be. If your FH wants to see you in a white dress, and you want that too, go for it!! Mom will get over it. Good luck, and happy planning!!

• Stefanie
    Dedicated May 2022
    Stefanie ·
    • Flag
    Absolutely not! This is my second marriage as well and I will be wearing a traditional wedding dress.... you deserve this!
  • C
    Dedicated 0000
    Chloe ·
    • Flag
    No matter what you do there will always be an opinion for it. Wearing a white dress is supposedly a tradition for virginity. But it historically originated by Queen Elizabeth the first, chosing white to be frugal since it was cheaper than dyed cloth during that time. To me it being tied to a woman's virginity is an outdated concept of where a woman's value lies.
    I would wear whatever dress makes you feel beautiful.
  • Belle
    VIP August 2022
    Belle ·
    • Flag
    I have a friend who married 3 times, and each time she wears white, veils, and had a big party.
  • Nefetera
    VIP March 2015
    Nefetera ·
    • Flag
    No not at all ...take it as your first and its still your wedding so of course not wear whatever makes you feel confident
  • Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    It’s your day and you should do whatever makes you and your FH happy. I just got married for the second time at 52 and wore a white dress. It was his first wedding and I wanted him to have his special day but either way I decided not to worry about what others thought. Everyone has an opinion so try not to let that get to you. Good luck.
  • Christine
    Dedicated June 2021
    Christine ·
    • Flag

2nd time bride here too! I will be wearing a white dress as well. It's an old-school way of thinking that someone getting married for the 2nd time is somehow scandalous and shouldn't have a fun wedding celebration.

• L
    Super October 2020
    Leslie ·
    • Flag

Honey I’m 61 , second marriage for us both and having a wedding with whole kit and kaboodle. I’m wearing a blush dress with loads of bling and a big @ss train. I don’t care. My fiancé has asked repeatedly if I’m wearing a veil and I’ve told him no. But I plan on surprising him at first look with one -just not over face. You’re grown. Wear and do what you want. You’ll be lovely.

• S
    Savvy July 2020
    Stacey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you Gen. that’s how I felt.
  • S
    Savvy July 2020
    Stacey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Very outdated! Thank you Cristy!
  • S
    Savvy July 2020
    Stacey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks Stefanie. It helps to know others will also be wearing the traditional dresses.
  • S
    Savvy July 2020
    Stacey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you Chloe!
  • Cristy
    Master May 2021
    Cristy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    You're very welcome. The other thing I thought to share with you is that I'm a 52-year old first time bride. I have children and grandchildren. Think I'm not wearing white because of this? Think again!! This will be my only wedding. I'm wearing a white wedding dress! And rockin it!!
  • Martha
    Devoted February 2024
    Martha ·
    • Flag

Do what makes you happy, and if your FH had that one request then even more the reason to do it and wear white. You can never please everyone and so you gotta do what will make you happy.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics