Dshelle
Devoted June 2023

2023 Brides

Dshelle, on May 29, 2020 at 6:41 PM Posted in California Planning 1 12
Saved
So everyone on here on my last comments told me that I should wait to start planning wedding my wedding day get closer. But my questions is why should I wait to start planning and looking at venues until the year before my wedding not 2020 or 2021? I want to know if anyone plan a ahead up before a year of there wedding day? So for example like me my wedding is June 12,2023 but plan in 2020 I want to know if there people out there do that and if y’all do can y’all comment and tell me how that working out for y’all or coming along for y’all? And is there anyone get married same year I’m getting married in or year after me? Drop a comment 👇

12 Comments

Latest activity by Thia, on June 25, 2021 at 8:56 PM
  • Ocbride2019
    Dedicated June 2019
    Ocbride2019 ·
    • Flag
    There’s nothing stopping you from looking around and getting information now, but an issue you might run into is that vendors/venues simply won’t book that far out. Some may, but in general, I think the furthest I’ve heard of vendors booking is 2 years out. I think one of the issues is the pricing. While booking early is good for securing current year pricing, some vendors may feel that in 3 years’ time, they would have gained significant experience, upgraded their equipment and software, or perhaps revamped their brand’s image, and may feel their work will be of higher value at that point, thus warranting a higher price tag. They may also not want to book unless they know with reasonable certainty that they can do the wedding (perhaps they’re thinking of planning a vacation, moving, or starting a family, etc.). It’s much harder to have that certainty when you’re inquiring about a date 3 years out. Also, the further out you book, the greater risk there is that maybe a venue or vendor shuts down their business or leaves the wedding industry. I’m not speaking for all vendors and venues, but just suggesting what could be a reason for why they may only book 1-2 years in advanced.

Something else to think about is if you were planning on buying a dress this early, you’d have to make sure that you’d still fit in the dress in 3 years, otherwise you might rack up alteration costs to accommodate a weight gain/loss. You also would have to be incrediblyconfident in your dress choice in order to minimize the risk of dress regret, especially if you end up seeing pictures of newer wedding dress styles after you buy. If you don’t buy right now, you also have to be aware that dress styles get discontinued almost randomly, so you never know what styles will still be available when you are ready to shop unless you keep track of specific styles and have a rough idea of when designers discontinue styles. All of this applies to the bridesmaids’ dress as well.

Me personally, I got engaged in November 2017 and had 90% of my vendors booked within 3 months of being engaged for a June 2019 wedding. For the most part, the venues and vendors I reached out to had no problem with the date, but I definitely did run into vendors who did not book until 1 year out. I like to think that my timeframe was ideal for booking since my date was far out enough that I didn’t really have to worry about vendors not being available for my date, but not too far out that vendors would tell me to wait and reach out again when the date is closer. Regarding the wedding dress, I bought a sample gown weeks after I got engaged. It was super hard trying to maintain my size knowing that I had to fit into that dress come alteration time, or else I might risk paying extra in alterations to take in or let out the dress. I also immediately unfollowed all the wedding dress designers I liked and avoided all the wedding dress shows until after my wedding to make sure I didn’t get dress regret. It was definitely a challenge to go from seeing wedding dresses everywhere on the internet/social media to none at all.
    I think for you, you certainly can spend 2020 and even a chunk of 2021 doing vision and budget planning. Like figuring out the theme, decor, wedding colors, types of flowers, general wedding dress shape and style, all the little details you’d like for your wedding. Then, you can take the time to window shop vendors and venues to see what and who would fit best with your budget and vision. As a bonus, as time goes on, you can see how their work improves or changes, and you can decide if you like what direction they’re going in and inquire when the date is closer, or find a different vendor that better suits your tastes. I found Instagram was the best way to keep tabs on vendors I liked. You could also use this time to start shopping for decor and buying things as you come across them, so you aren’t rushing at the very end.
  • Dshelle
    Devoted June 2023
    Dshelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ok thank you I got a wedding planner to do idk was I was go to far out with that?
  • Ocbride2019
    Dedicated June 2019
    Ocbride2019 ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    If she was willing to sign a contract with you, I don’t see anything wrong with it. Like I said, the concern for you mostly revolves around the chance that the vendor/venue is unwilling to book with you that far in advanced, or the possibility that you might end up changing your mind about the wedding vision since there’s such a huge time gap and there’s always new ideas on social media and Pinterest.
  • RaylaSan
    Expert February 2021
    RaylaSan ·
    • Flag

What PP said, nothing is stopping you from planning the wedding of your dreams now, but I'll be honest with you when I say that majority of your vendors will not book you for weddings that far in advanced. I remember last year, I did some venue touring, and all the venues we went to that time would not book for 2021.

• Dshelle
    Devoted June 2023
    Dshelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Why the wouldn’t?
  • RaylaSan
    Expert February 2021
    RaylaSan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

As PP said, price changes, and in all honesty a lot can happen in two-three years.

I'll give you an example, last year mid 2019, I reserved a date at a beautiful barn for Feb. 14, 2021. Ounce my date was reserved I hired a decorator and a photographer for that date. Fast forward to March 2020, and I emailed the venue asking when they would be ready to sign for contracts, and accept deposits, and they let me know quite frankly, that their venue was going through some legal issues and that there was a high possibility that they will be closing their doors at the end of 2020. Hearing this news, literally ruined all my plans, since doing this meant I had to search for a whole new venue within my very small budget, and make sure I reserved it for that SAME date, which was extremely difficult to do because most of the venues I contacted were either way above my price range, or were already booked for my same date. I literally had to book a venue that I didn't even get to tour before booking, because COVID happened and I was in such a desperate state to get an actual venue.

All in all, I think there's nothing wrong with planning far ahead, but stuff happens and plans change. I had to change the entire vision of my wedding because of the venue change. It was a pain in the butt.

• Dshelle
    Devoted June 2023
    Dshelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Im sorry to hear that but I’m getting insecure on my wedding and keep looking for venues and wait and wait. I already got a wedding planner they are helping me with that out and everything. But I’m getting insecure so that won’t happen to me
  • RaylaSan
    Expert February 2021
    RaylaSan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

A big part about wedding planning is playing the waiting game, if you don't want to play the waiting game you could possibly try adjusting your wedding date from 2023 to 2022. I have met a few brides on here that have been able to book a lot of their vendors and even their venue for late 2022. If you want, you could tour some venues and ask if they'd be willing to book you that far in advanced. If you're desperate to do something wedding related, I recommend hiring a photographer for an engagement shoot, and plan for that. Literally the first thing I did as soon as I got engaged was get my engagement shoot done, it was a lot of fun for my future hubby and I. I had a lot of fun searching for places to get my shots taken, what clothes to wear, and even searching for the right photographer.

• Dshelle
    Devoted June 2023
    Dshelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ok thank you
  • Dawn
    Dedicated April 2023
    Dawn ·
    • Flag

Im getting married in 2023 also and starting to plan

• Megan
    Beginner December 2023
    Megan ·
    • Flag

I'm getting married in 2023 too! We are making general plans. I have found my dream venue but haven't booked it yet just incase we decide to have a backyard wedding or elope. We have already had some professional engagement photos done but will take more when our wedding gets closer. I like that our wedding won't be until 2023. A long engagement means less stress for me!

I think it's good to make general plans now and then narrow them down when the wedding gets closer. You never know what will change and you don't want to prematurely lock yourselves into something like a venue or caterer that you will no longer want.

• T
    Just Said Yes June 2023
    Thia ·
    • Flag

I'm getting married in 2023 too! Looking for venue now.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics