Chrissy
Beginner January 2022

Chrissy, on May 25, 2019 at 12:38 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 25
Saved
Hello everyone... I'm getting married new years day of 2022... do you think it's to early to purchase my wedding gown?

25 Comments

Latest activity by Mrs.a, on April 1, 2020 at 6:02 AM
  • Jessica
    Master September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    Have you found one or are you just excited to start shopping? I’m weary of purchasing mine already and I’m getting married Sept 2020. A LOT can change in 2.5 years, for example your vision for the wedding may change and the dress you pick now won’t fit the new theme. For me, I’m wanting to loose weight, I’m down 60 lbs and want to loose another 60 over the next 8-10 months. I’ve gone shopping a couple times trying to figure out what silhouette, neckline, etc I like, but I probably won’t really start looking until around 1 year out from our date. I know I’ll need alterations regardless, and maybe the issue is I just haven’t found “the one” because nothing has really given me the feels. Ultimately it’s up to you, I’d just be worried that having so long to overthink my choice I’d start second guessing myself and end up regretting it, but I’m totally an overthinker. Good luck!
  • Chrissy
    Beginner January 2022
    Chrissy ·
    • Flag
    I looked and I thought I found the one and I realized it's not the one.. I'm so excited to purchase
  • Ashley
    Dedicated February 2020
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    I would personally hold off a bit longer unless you have known for years and years that this is your dream dress.
  • Ingrid
    VIP October 2020
    Ingrid ·
    • Flag
    I bought my dress in 2017 for my 2020 wedding. I knew it was the one so there was no sense in continuing to look or wait.
  • Madison
    Devoted May 2022
    Madison ·
    • Flag
    As long as you know without a single doubt in your mind that this dress is the one then go for it!!!
  • Fmv
    Super October 2020
    Fmv ·
    • Flag
    I would personally hold off. Things can change, styles can change, you could lose or gain weight between that time. Plus your wedding is so far away, that if you bought a dress now there is a chance you might come across another dress during the wait till 2022.
  • Alycia
    Super July 2021
    Alycia ·
    • Flag

Enjoy shopping. I wouldn't put down a deposit until a year before your wedding. Until then, travel around and try different styles and designers.

• Meghan
    Master October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag
    I would wait. Designers will come out with at least 4-5 new lines before you actually NEED to start looking. I would hate for you to buy a dress now and then find one you love more in 2 years. Styles change, opinions change, & designers are constantly coming out with fabulous new things!
  • Wendy
    Super August 2021
    Wendy ·
    • Flag
    I would wait... my wedding is August 2020 and I haven’t even started looking.. I plan on starting in August-October.. I see so many posts about wedding regrets in here that I wouldn’t want that to happen...
  • Victorian Bride
    Master February 2022
    Victorian Bride ·
    • Flag
    I would begin shopping at your 12 month mark, unless you see your dream dress and know without a doubt you won't change your mind. As others have said, alot can happen in that time. For instance, we had to postpone our wedding 3 times for illness and family drama. Really! Now I've become very ill and my gown no longer fits. Who could have known? So now I have a very expensive gown that doesn't fit and I'm praying the doctors can do something to help the edema return to normal and /or pray my seamstress is a miracle worker. 😂
  • Chrissy
    Beginner January 2022
    Chrissy ·
    • Flag
    Thanks everyone for your advice.. I think I should just wait. Something better might come along!
  • Mrscolón
    Super September 2019
    Mrscolón ·
    • Flag

I was engaged for three years and I chose to wait until the 12 month mark. It definitely was worth the wait because my style changed over the course of my engagement. The dress I chose it differently from what I originally thought I'd pick, and I love it. I would say looking online doesn't hurt but don't purchase anything yet!

• Mrscase2022
    Devoted March 2022
    Mrscase2022 ·
    • Flag

I found mine last year and I'm gettin married in October 2020 I got a corset back just in case I do gain a little bit of weight before the wedding. I just depends whether you want a dress that has zipper or a corset back and you can always get ideas from pinterest I went to at least five different dress stores before I found mine. I say no but I'm also one of those kid of people who likes to get head start on things.

• Anita
    Dedicated December 2019
    Anita ·
    • Flag

My personal experience...... I'm getting married New Years 2020 and I have 3 dresses already and continue to look because I just haven't fallen in love. I brought the first one because it was on sale (later hated it), the second was given to me and the third was ordered but hasn't arrived yet (it's a six month wait) and recently I have become afraid that it may not be "the dress". What I've learned is the more time I have the more fearful I am it may not be the perfect choice. If I had the choice to start again I wouldn't commit until a little closer to the wedding.

• Nikita
    VIP April 2019
    Nikita ·
    • Flag

Enjoy window shopping, but I suggest waiting to shop until much closer to it (9-12 months out). Your size, wedding style, personal aesthetic, etc. can change in 3 years.

• K
    Expert October 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    Once I figured out my style of wedding and what I wanted, I started buying stuff like our champagne flutes and cake cutting set. Little things here and there are a great way to spread out your budget. Also picking a date and finding a venue early gets you ahead of the game to be able to get an early start on your other vendors.

Again, this also helps spread out your budget so you are not doing big lump sums all at the same time.
  • Private User
    Dedicated September 2020
    Private User ·
    • Flag
    Don't let anyone say you plan too early. Planning early allows you to save for what you want and prepare for anything that goes awry. However, that being said I know how exciting it is to start planning and the more time you have, the more time you think about changing things or regretting earlier decisions. I'm guilty of that. I would start planning probably a year and a half in advance. I would book the venue first and start from there. Wedding wire has a great check list too! I printed it out and have it hanging in my office. Go dress shopping a year to 9 months out from your date because the earlier you buy your dress you might second guessing it or comparing to other dresses you never tried on. Just go with the process, breathe because ultimately it's your wedding and a day about you two.
  • Hcook
    Dedicated May 2021
    Hcook ·
    • Flag
    You can start planning now. Look for your venue now is a good choice. Then go from there. Were getting married May 2021, engaged Dec, 2019. And we started planning (I did lol) right away. We booked our venue Jan 2020. Booked DJ, makeup/hair, did rsvp and save the dates, have template for invite, booked church, booked caterer.
  • Kelly
    Devoted March 2021
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    I got engaged in March 2019 and my wedding day is 3/27/2021. I have planned at least half already!! I have a venue, dj, catering, a wedding cake and grooms cake, a photographer, all my bouquets and boutonnieres. The only things I don't have yet are centerpieces, table linens, wedding signs, and attire for the groom and I and wedding party. It's never too early to plan!! Especially if you're paying for everything yourelves, most vendors will let you be on a payment plan and pay monthly so the earlier the better!! Start when you're ready!! I looked at over 25 venues before I found the one I wanted so starting immediately was a must for me!! Of course I didn't know that at the time but thank goodness I did or instead of being ahead, Ida been way behind!! Don't let people that don't know what their talking about tell you you're planning too early!! It's never too early!! Good luck and congratulations!!
  • Kelly
    Devoted March 2021
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    Oh and I don't have save the dates or invites, but see how long that list is of things I don't have?? Imagine if I had just started planning!! It's never too early!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics