We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

CountryBride
Super April 2022

2 dresses or one

CountryBride, on February 25, 2021 at 6:09 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 14
Saved Save
So I am dress shopping waiting on our tax returns gotta love the irs. So here is my situation I have found gowns that I love but hasn’t been head over heels in love with. My fiancé opinion is I’ll look good in anything choose what makes me happy. he told me what he likes which is tight around my curves so a mermaid or fit and flare. his biggest crush growing up was Martica Adams from Adams family he doesn’t like huge poofy gowns

I feel like the bridal gowns I’m trying on shows off my curves but are not poofy or bridal enough I’m walking in my dress appointments feeling underwhelmed like this is it my bridal dress doesn’t make me fee bridal.
And then if I go ball gown I look like a giant marshmallow with focous on my belly and I’m plus size and I don’t want that.
So I have 2 options my fiancé doesn’t like this idea because I should pick a dress that is perfect but I’m having a hard time
Option one 2 dressesCeremony dress poofy ball gown Reception dress mermaid
My veil is cathedral length with scalloped lace on the edges

Option 2 This is what my dream dress includes my budget 3,000 I don’t think it exists. Shows off the hips and then has a poofy skirt long train and details on the back of the dress. Must have lace happy with beading too
Please help

14 Comments

Latest activity by Connie, on February 26, 2021 at 11:50 AM
  • C
    Rockstar January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    I would hate to spend so much money on a dress and then I my wear it a little bit, plus the time it’ll take to change!
    I honestly think don’t worry about what FH “likes” he will think you’re beautiful and perfect In whatever dress you choose. Pick something you love and then wear it all night!
  • C
    Rockstar January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    Oh, and I think you should be able to get a fit and flare or mermaid (if you like that) and then add a slip to get some poof!!
  • S
    Just Said Yes October 2022
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    Be sure when you are trying on dresses to do your hair and makeup, and also have them put a veil with it... its amazing what a HUGE difference it makes to feeling bridal!
  • CountryBride
    Super April 2022
    CountryBride ·
    • Flag
    Am I allowed to bring my veil in ?
  • CountryBride
    Super April 2022
    CountryBride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Are fit and flare mermaid the same thing
  • A
    Super December 2020
    Anais ·
    • Flag
    What about looking for one where you can add an over skirt? So get a fit and flare, but for the reception add an over skirt, take it off for the reception
  • Ava
    Super May 2022
    Ava ·
    • Flag
    2 dresses or one 1
    A trumpet dress would be your best bet for something that hugs your curves then flares significantly at the bottom. However, I don’t think you should purchase a dress just because it’s the shape your fiancé likes. This is your wedding dress and you have exactly one opportunity to wear it- YOU should love it & it should be YOUR dream dress! Like you said, your fiancé has already told you he will think you are beautiful in anything. I guarantee he will not look back five years from now and wish you had worn a different shape dress... but YOU might! If you are wanting something more pouffy, but not as extremely pouffy as a ballgown, try some A-lines on! They have more pouff and flare than a mermaid or fit & flare, but aren’t as big and bulky as a ball gown. They will hug your curves on top, then float out on the bottom.
  • Ava
    Super May 2022
    Ava ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Love this idea too!
  • Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

Wear what you love. You only get to wear a wedding dress once in your life so wear it as long as you can. If you can't find anything you love, you can have it custom made by a local independent seamstress

• C
    Rockstar January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    No, fit and flare flares out on your hips and I think mermaid flares out lower like by your knees
  • C
    Rockstar January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes you should be. I brought mine in. I too bought mine before my dress
  • S
    Devoted November 2021
    Sara ·
    • Flag

IMO I would keep looking until you find the one perfect dress that you love. Don't settle for 2 dresses that you're not completely in love with. Do not give up!

• Michelle
    Rockstar April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    Go with your heart! You can definitely find your dress within your budget! I was able to find my dress within my budget of $1500. It has everything I was looking for- the bling, the lace, hint of gray & shows off my curves! Dress was $810 with alterations $770 so only $80 over budget!
  • Connie
    Dedicated December 2021
    Connie ·
    • Flag
    Definitely go with a dress you love! Don't settle for less! I promise, your FH will not care what shape your dress is because you will be glowing on your wedding day in your dress! I would look for fit n flare or mermaid, and maybe add a slip or petticoat for volume at the bottom if it doesnt have it already. Try it on with your train, too or if they don't let you bring yours in, use one of theirs that has a similar look. It will feel soooo much more bridal!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics