Maria
Super October 2019

1 Week Delayed Honeymoon

Maria, on August 15, 2019 at 1:43 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 31
Saved Save
Married couples - did any of you leave for your honeymoon a week or two after your wedding instead of immediately?

We initially wanted to leave the next day to continue that "wedded bliss" feeling but we have another friend's wedding the following Saturday so trying to arrange flights in order to make it back in time essentially makes it a 4-day trip.

Now we're thinking of leaving mid-week the week after their wedding (1.5 weeks after ours). For those of you who did the short delay, did it still feel like a honeymoon? Was it less exciting since you had already been back to the normalcy of daily life like going to work?

Probably overthinking it, just curious about other's experiences!

31 Comments

• Mary
    Expert July 2019
    Mary
    We got married on Saturday, drove home Sunday, and went to work Monday. 馃ぃ
    Our honeymoon is two months after our wedding date. It was more affordable for us to wait a little and go during shoulder season.
  • Rebecca
    Dedicated June 2020
    Rebecca
    We鈥檙e planning on waiting about a week after ours. We鈥檙e taking a cruise and had to make it work with when the cruise leaves and when the wedding is. My FH says he鈥檒l go to work for the few days in between-I鈥檓 a teacher and we鈥檙e getting married in June so I don鈥檛 have to worry about that 馃槈.
  • Jen
    Super May 2018
    Jen

We took our honeymoon 2 or 3 weeks after our wedding. Still felt 100% like a honeymoon. We were still newlyweds and still had that newly wed bliss. What we didn't have was the rush to get from our venue to the airport the next day. We were exhausted the weekend after our wedding so waiting a few weeks also meant we were able to catch up on sleep and fully enjoy our trip. We also liked that we had a few days off for the wedding, worked 2 weeks and then we were off again for a little over a week.

• Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper
    Newlywed bliss doesn鈥檛 fade THAT quick, haha!
    youll be thrilled for the delay, honestly. Wedding recovery took me a while, just SO mentally drained for a couple days after. We got away for a long weekend the weekend after the wedding, and even then I was still wiped out the first day and sooooo happy to finally slip in to relaxation mode! I truly can鈥檛 imagine having tried to go away ASAP
  • Mariah
    Dedicated April 2020
    Mariah

Everyone who has gone immediately after has told me how exhausted they were and advised us to wait a while before heading off to the honeymoon! So I think waiting is a good idea!

We are getting married in april, but our honeymoon isnt until october! lol

• Stephanie
    Dedicated April 2020
    Stephanie

Our plan is to also wait a couple of weeks after the wedding before the honeymoon. We are planning to go to Universal and Disney World and it just so happens the first two weeks after our wedding is when schools are out for April vacation. Definitely want to try and go when fewer people would be there. I feel like it's becoming more common to wait a little bit after the wedding I don't hear of as many people leaving the day after.

• VIP September 2019
    I think it is better gives you time to decompress then vacation
  • Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle Online
    I left for mine two weeks after
  • Tiffany
    October 2020
    Tiffany
    Our honeymoon will be one year later!
  • Stephanie
    Dedicated November 2020
    Stephanie

I'm getting married Nov 2020 and our honeymoon is in January, I personally think it is going to extend that 'wedding' day feeling even longer!

• FutureMrsD
    Legend July 2019
    FutureMrsD

We left Monday after our Saturday wedding. It was SO NICE to be able to go home from the hotel, unload all our stuff. Drop my dress off to be dry cleaned & send his tux back, etc.

• MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal

We left for a 16-day honeymoon in the UK a week after the wedding, and, honestly? It was an AWESOME decision. It let us spend a day or two immediately after the wedding visiting more with OOT family who had traveled a long way just to be with us. It gave us a couple days to get things put away at our house, and most importantly, we were well rested before the 13-hour overnight flight. We had a blast and very much felt like "honeymooners" every minute of the trip -- it really just prolonged the whole "we just got married" excitement for an extra week! When brides post about their plans where they have to rush to catch a flight the morning after their wedding, I feel bad for them. It would not be my choice.

• Gen
    Master June 2019
    Gen
    We went on our honeymoon 2 days after our wedding because I was worried that going back to work and waiting any longer would ruin the newlywed bliss...... let me tell you, it wouldn鈥檛 have haha. I was still in the newlywed bliss bubble for at least a week or two AFTER our weeklong honeymoon, even while at work 馃槀
  • Katie
    Super November 2019
    Katie
    We are taking a delayed honeymoon since we will be getting married around the holidays. Our wedding is in November but we will take our "honeymoon" in April after the holidays are over and the new year is in full swing
  • Katie
    Super November 2019
    Katie
    We are however going for a little weekend getaway to some cabins the following weekend but that is a wedding gift from our boss and not our actual honeymoon
  • Monique
    Rockstar December 2019
    Monique
    We are waiting a week before we leave. I have To finish up school before winter break.
  • Meaghan
    Savvy June 2020
    Meaghan

Weddings and the weeks leading up to them can be exhausting. Giving yourself a chance to decompress and rest before you leave can mean that you'll have more energy to enjoy your honeymoon.

• F
    Dedicated October 2019
    Future Mrs Wilson
    Sort of? We are leaving the Monday after the wedding
    Neither one of us wanted to go back to work for a week
  • C
    Devoted June 2019
    C R
    We left a week and a half later and it was every single bit the honeymoon it should have been - just loved it!!!!
  • PrissiePants
    Dedicated May 2020
    PrissiePants

We are planning to leave about a week after hours. My fiance is a controller so our wedding happens right before month end close. Once that is wrapped up, we will be off to a beach somewhere to enjoy newlywed bliss!

Comment on this discussion