The Renaissance Reviews

The Renaissance 7
  • Rachel

Rachel · Married on 05/11/2019

Totally amazing!

Tommy and his staff were beyond awesome!! Planning a wedding can be very stressful but working with the team at the Renaissance was stress-free. Tommy was available to help us with every question we had and even helped us think of things we didn't know that was necessary. Don't even get me started with the food, they have an amazing selection of food. The only problem that we had was after the taste testing, we couldn't decide which option we wanted because all of Chef John's food was extremely delicious. On the wedding day, we arrived at a ceremony and reception hall that exceeded all of our expectations. The staff laid out my vision perfectly! We had so much fun and success working with Tommy! We would highly recommend using the Renaissance as the wedding venue of choice to anyone looking. We love Tommy and staff, they made our perfect day even more magical!

Sent on 07/02/2019

The Renaissance's reply:

That you all so much!! We had such a great time with you two and all you wonderful guests!!! We are missing you already!!!!
  • Katlyn

Katlyn · Married on 05/04/2019

May the 4th be with you!

We found the Renaissance on Instagram and fell in love with the beautiful photos. We met Tommy at a wedding expo and fell in love with him and knew we had to schedule a tour. After seeing the venue in person, meeting Jon, Precious and the whole team and hearing what all they had to offer, we knew we were in good hands and wanted to book it immediately. You can tell Tommy absolutely loves what he does and is good at it. He loves the venue and encouraged us through all our dreams of our day. The food was so great, our guests gave so many compliments the whole night and couldn’t get enough of the roasted vegetable display during cocktail hour. My husband and I are not big fans of cake and our families thought we were crazy when we decided to do a wall of donuts instead and also as our favors. Our coordinator, Dana (who was so great!!), was able to keep this giant wall of donut hidden from our guests during the ceremony and surprised everyone with it center stage during our reception. 1. I think our guests were super stoked for donuts but 2. They loved being able to walk up on the stage and pick out which donut they wanted, it just gave our guests one more fun thing to do. We really didn’t feel stressed or overwhelmed through the whole planning process and felt like the whole team was there for us whenever we had any questions or concerned. Our whole day turned out so perfect and the force was strong on May the 4th and left a lasting impression on us and all of our guests!!

Sent on 05/07/2019

Alicia Chappell · Married on 12/15/2018

Our day was perfect!

Our experience was perfect! I would highly recommend the Renaissance and their team! My husband and I could not have been more pleased!!

Sent on 01/17/2019
    The Renaissance 11
    The Renaissance 12
    The Renaissance 13

Skip Martin · Married on 11/18/2018

Father of the Bride.

I’m sure you may not see too many fathers post comments here however, I felt the need to because of the level of excellence Tommy, Jon and their staff brought to my daughter’s wedding reception which, was held at the Renaissance on 11/17/2018. Well prior to the event, Tommy and Jon met with my wife and I to discuss options for having our event at their venue. Our daughter lives in Harrisonburg, VA which, made it difficult for her to do the initial vetting of the venues we surveyed.

From our experience, Tommy and Jon brought a level of professionalism, options and resources unmatched by their competitors. They were extremely flexible with their offerings which, made the event affordable for us. The atmosphere was exquisite. It gave us a feel of the formality that folks in the 30’s and 40’s experienced. The grand ballroom gave us a sense that those folks really knew how to throw a party and Tommy, Jon and their staff lived up to the vision. The food options were varied, flavorful and nicely presented. The photo booth was a big hit and we were able to price an open bar that was affordable to the point that we did not go over our budget. My wife and I chose to hire a valet company to help with parking and the connection between the Renaissance and the parking vendor was seamless.

I highly recommend that you, at least, consider the Renaissance for your event. I believe you will experience what my family experienced which, was a flawless night of top notch celebration.

Sent on 11/27/2018
  • Lindsey

Lindsey Scott · Married on 11/17/2018

Our Dream Wedding Come True!

Tommy, Jon, Precious, and their team are an absolute dream! Our wedding day came together so beautifully because of their hard work! From day one, Tommy gave us all of the information we needed and then some to plan our special day. He allowed us to customize our event to make it exactly what we wanted and provided suggestions along the way. Honestly, the entire planning process was stress-free because of his guidance, and, coming from a Type-A Bride, that's really saying something! Responses to questions were always prompt and Tommy was always willing to meet in person or over the phone to answer any and all questions. He even took the time to walk through every decoration and item my family brought to the venue the Thursday prior to the wedding with my Mom and Dad to make sure he knew what our wishes were in their placement. That's personalized service at its finest!

As a self-proclaimed foodie, Jon's menus are top-notch! Seriously, we have guests still raving about the menu and the service was impeccable! No one sat waiting for for their meal to be plated for more than a few minutes. With an almost 200 person guest list, they were efficient and attentive from beginning to end!

Many thanks to the Renaissance for making our wedding day spectacular! The new Mr. and Mrs. Scott are overjoyed with our experience!

Sent on 11/29/2018
  • Michelle

Michelle · Married on 10/06/2018

Amazing Venue, Amazing experiences, Amazing Wedding

We could not have been happier with our experience marrying and holding our reception at the Renaissance. I would give them a perfect 10! Tommy was a dream to work with. He made the whole wedding experience more delightful (as it can get stressful at times). He was supportive and always available for questions or assistance in a quick manner.

One of the things I found very valuable was having other vendors associated with the Renaissance close by. Tommy put me in contact with lighting and florist. These vendors were familiar with the set-up of this Venue and I felt this helped to ensure the STUNNING decor that we achieved on our big day. Also, the venue has their own photo booth that you can rent. All these connections made it more like a 'one stop shop' which was very much welcomed!

I cannot get over the beauty of the venue on the day of our wedding. Something that my husband and I both commented on was that this venue allowed us to be us. We didn't feel that at the other venues we toured!

During the reception and ceremony, the staff were amazing and made sure that it was a night to remember!

I would recommend the Renaissance to any couple looking for a classic, ballroom setting. Absolutely stunning and AMAZING staff.

Sent on 12/09/2018

Bernice · Married on 09/22/2018

OMG!!! what a day, what a day!!!! What a day to remember and what great relationships that were built with the staff at The Renaissance of Richmond, VA. I am the mother of the bride and my daughter had her dream wedding thanks to Tommy Waters, John Beattie and Emmett Hickman. . I starting planning this wedding 18 months in advance and Tommy was by my side whenever I needed him to be. From the 1st look tour to the tasting, to the completion of the seating chart (in which he sat down with me and my frustration for 2 hrs. at a moments notice to check and double check my seating chart). Tommy treated my daughter's wedding as if it were his very own. He gave me the best advice. John Beattie, the executive chef, as well, was superb!! We decided to have the rehearsal dinner at the venue as well and the food for that and the main event was just plain ole delicious!!! I feel like I gained new best friends. They treated me and my family with nothing but the upmost respect for our event. Emmett Hickman was our day of Wedding Planner and he rocked it. Whatever blips came about, with one of our vendors, Emmett did his very best to resolve them and he kept it moving right along. He is one of the best in the industry. You will be privileged to have him work your event. . I must not forget the staff at The Renaissance. Such professionals, in dealing with us. They were absolutely wonderful!!!! Believe me if you're considering The Renaissance as your event venue, they will definitely make your event a time to remember. Thank you so very much Tommy, John and Emmett, I will never ever forget the service and graciousness you provided to my daughter and myself in bringing together a day she will never forget.

Sent on 10/10/2018

Jo · Married on 09/15/2018

My husband and I are so grateful to have had the opportunity to work with Tommy and his team at the Renaissance. Tommy and his team were extremely professional and provided quality customer service. They went above and beyond the call of duty. It's because of them that our wedding went off without a hitch!

It was so stress-free to know that we had a team of professionals working with us to help decide on decorations, linen, flowers, favors, etc. for the ceremony and reception. The fact that all of this was provided by the venue for one price (venue, food, drinks, set up, ect) - was so so wonderful! It really made the experience so smooth and stress-free.

We received wonderful feedback from family and friends on how lovely and professional everyone was and how delicious the food was! The whole team made us feel apart of their family, and made sure we were taken care of. We would highly recommend the Renaissance to anyone for their event!

Sent on 10/09/2018

LaVette · Married on 08/25/2018

Sherwood and I are so very grateful to have had to opportunity to work with Tommy and his staff. From my first meeting with Tommy our personalities matched and I knew I wanted my wedding at the Renaissance. Tommy was extremely professional and provided superb customer service. Tommy went over and beyond the call of duty and also guided us with helpful advice. There was so much love, care, and commitment into making our fairytale come to life. Several guest have told us that our fairytale was the best wedding they had ever witnessed in person. The food was excellent and everyone still talk about the mash potatoes. To sum up our day it was perfect in very sense.

Sent on 10/09/2018

Kyrel · Married on 08/19/2018

The whole renaissance team was outstanding. From start to finish all our demands were met and any questions we had got answered in a timely fashion. Our photography backed out and Tommy was able to obtain a back up one for me in 24 hours, amazing. We weren’t pressured into going over our budget and they made my wife’s vision come true. In TEN years when we renew our vowels I will be contacting them first!!!

Sent on 08/22/2018
    The Renaissance 14
    The Renaissance 15

Shavon · Married on 08/19/2018

The Renaissance is such a beautiful venue. The staff was amazing and worked miracles for my wedding!!!

Sent on 08/28/2018
  • Quinnchel

Quinnchel · Married on 08/18/2018

Our wedding was held here on 8.18.18 and it was absolutely beautiful! We had our ceremony and reception in the same room under the bistro lights, and it was everything! Our guests really enjoyed themselves and they especially loved the photo booth, I am so glad we decided to get it!.. Special thanks to Tommy, John and Precious for their assistance!

Sent on 09/03/2018
    The Renaissance 16

Michelle · Married on 05/12/2018

My husband and I started our wedding planning with limited time (due to last minute changes from destination wedding to local)...so things were a little stressful. The Renaissance was probably the fourth/fifth place we viewed and I was immediately sold!!! It was absolutely beautiful and that ballroom was perfect. The ballroom was so beautiful little to no extra decorations are needed. From the beginning to the end of the process Tommy and Emmett made sure everything was a go and ran smoothly. They were constantly in contact and basically handled everything for me. I told them my vision and they made it happen! Anything that I needed to do was explained to me in direct easy details. Also huge kudos to the chef....the food was amazing. I highly recommend this venue!!

Sent on 06/07/2018
    The Renaissance 21
    The Renaissance 22
    The Renaissance 23

Malory · Married on 01/27/2018

I absolutely loved my experience at the Renaissance! First of all, the ballroom is gorgeous! The chandeliers give a regal vibe. If you opt for bistro lighting, as well, it really creates a magical atmosphere! Secondly, Tommy was great! He was prompt at replying to my many emails and really guided me through the whole process. He knows his stuff! He gave me confidence that I had nothing to stress about and made me feel at ease with everything. Planning a wedding is definitely stressful at times and so it was great to have that reassurance. I highly recommend the Renaissance and couldn’t possibly think of anything I would change about my wedding day/venue.

Sent on 08/21/2018

Karen · Married on 12/31/2017

If you are looking for a top notch venue for a reasonable price, the only place in Richmond is The Renaissance. Tommy, Jon, Precious, and their entire staff are incredible in executing your dream wedding. From the moment we first contacted Tommy up until the end of our wedding day, The Renaissance team was there to ensure our day was absolutely perfect. Our New Year’s Eve wedding consisted of just over 150 people and the venue itself was perfect. There were about 20 tables and did not feel crowded with that many people. There was also a large space for the dance floor! The staff was able to accommodate some out of the box ideas for us and did not shy away at a challenge. When we arrived to drop items off before our wedding day, Precious and her team took detailed notes of where each item should be placed. When we arrived on our wedding day, everything was set up exactly the way we envisioned and even with a few little unexpected surprises added that made everything look wonderful. We added on the professional photo booth as well which we highly recommend as it was a great keepsake for the guests.The bar had an expansive selection of beers and alcohol available and multiple guests commented to us about how nice and accommodating the bar staff was. The quality of the food was beyond what we expected. Many guests commented on how tasty both the food and appetizers were during our reception. If your worried about price, don’t be. It was almost unreal how much we got for how nice the venue was in comparison to other venues of this size in the area. All of the items we added on were also competitive in price which is directly attributed to how well the staff is regarded in the wedding industry and the relationships they have built with other vendors in the area. If you're lucky enough to have your wedding at The Renaissance, you’re in for a real treat!

Sent on 01/15/2018

Donna · Married on 12/31/2017

December 30th, 2017 at The Renaissance was perfect for the rehearsal dinner for our son! We had 56 people for cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, sit down dinner, & plated desserts! The professionalism & flexibility displayed throughout the planning process brought peace of mind. The phenomenal service and delicious food created a perfect evening for everyone!

Sent on 01/18/2018

T · Married on 12/31/2017

We had an awesome Rehearsal Dinner experience at The Renaissance. Everything was perfect from the planning stage all the way through to the big event. The food was absolutely delicious and the staff was very responsive. I would highly recommend The Renaissance for any event!

Sent on 01/25/2018
  • W

Wes · Married on 12/31/2017

The Renaissance provided a perfect location that included cocktail hour with appetizers, sit down dinner & dessert!! We were impressed with the communication prior to the event & flexibility when extra guests arrived! Food & service were perfect & our guests are still raving!!

Sent on 02/02/2018

Mary · Married on 12/31/2017

“Our wedding was everything we hoped and dreamed!” Those were the words of my daughter and son-in-law at the conclusion of their wedding and reception. If you want to work with a venue and a team of people who truly care about making your wedding dreams come true, come to The The Renaissance. From your first tour with Tommy Waters, in which he listens to your ideas and is ready to make them work, all the way to your wedding day where Chef Jon Beattie, Emmet Hickam, Precious and the rest of the team have your day run like clockwork and make your dreams come true. The Renaissance is truly perfection!
    The team is available throughout the whole process of planning and is accommodating and responsive. They help make your wedding planning fun, exciting, and less stressful. They truly take care of everything and are available to answer any questions both during the planning stages and on the day of your wedding. I still
    have family members complimenting us on the wedding while the compliments truly deserve to go to The Renaissance. Don’t delay! Choose The Renaissance and you will have the wedding of your dreams!

Sent on 02/11/2018
    The Renaissance 24
    The Renaissance 25
  • Kori

Kori · Married on 12/09/2017

LOOK NO FURTHER. As soon as we stepped into the Victorian ballroom with its high ceilings, multiple crystal chandeliers and hardwood floors we knew we wanted to book The Renaissance. Our choice was confirmed over and over as we worked with the staff to make our dream wedding come true.

It is nearly impossible to list all the reasons to have your wedding at The Renaissance because there are so many, but I will do my best! The perks of having your wedding and reception at the same venue are bountiful and the pricing for their packages is reasonable while giving you flexibility on services and allowing you to customize every aspect of your big day.

The staff are incredible and the food is beyond five star (Chef Jon is wonderful! ). The gentlemen who run The Renaissance (Jon and Tommy) will give you advice and support on all the details of your wedding as they are consummate professionals who know how to make elegant events with memories your guest will be talking about long after your event is over.

Tommy was always available to communicate throughout the process for changes or questions and any help we needed. We got a great deal of our vendors contacts from this venue who works with a consortium of wedding vendors (Shoppes at The Renaissance) including planning services, stationary, beauty experts, photographers etc. Also, we have seen many different wedding parties come through The Renaissance with diverse backgrounds, religions and walks of life-all accommodated and all happy they chose this place. They made us feel like family and royalty at the same time. You cannot go wrong with this venue, take it from this blissful bride.

Sent on 12/14/2017
    The Renaissance 26
    The Renaissance 27
    The Renaissance 28
  • F

fhanel · Married on 10/21/2017

Were do I begin?! Tommy is Awesome!!! From planning the wedding to my wedding day his staff was simply amazing! I was waited on hand and foot the day of the wedding. Everything went so smooth..if anything went wrong I have no knowledge of it. The venue is beautiful so many different ways to style it. Best venue I’ve seen in RVA. Affordable, you are really getting more for your money! Not one time was I pressured into anything. I simply explained what I wanted and Tommy executed without a problem. The food was AMAZING. Normally wedding food is hit or miss but The Renaissance of RVA had my guests wanting more!!! The staff were super professional they made me and my guest feel like we’ve known them forever. They enjoyed the photo booth with my baby boys and even joined us on the dance floor. It was a special day and it was all because of the staff at The Renaissance of RVA. If I could do it all over again I would not change a thing!

Sent on 10/12/2017

Megan · Married on 09/30/2017

We held our dinner rehearsal here at the Renaissance. It was absolutely fantastic. The entire staff was welcoming, helpful and very accommodating. They made sure I always had a drink in my hand and I had enough food to eat. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Not to mention, the food was to die for!! I highly recommend this location. Thanks again!

Sent on 10/12/2017

Amy · Married on 09/23/2017

In my husband’s words: “If I could give Tommy a 10-star rating, I would”. 5 stars isn't sufficient to rate how outstanding Tommy Waters with The Renaissance is to work with. He was helpful, approachable, took time to make sure our needs were met. He responds quickly to email & the personal attention made it seem like we were his only clients!
    Our guests loved the beauty of the ballroom & could not stop talking about the food! A week later they were talking about how great the food was, especially the mashed potatoes.
    One of my favorite things about The Renaissance is the bridal suite - a little room just for the bride/bridal party to freshen up before/during the reception. It was SO nice to be able to use the restroom in private & have a comfortable space to change.
    The only complaint I have is that the reception staff seemed to be disorganized at times. An anniversary dance gift was supposed to be placed at the DJ table, and the staff didn’t find the gift until after the dance. I had dropped off glow sticks to use at our exit, and at the end of our reception, the staff could not find the glow sticks until we were almost ready to walk out. That being said, this was a small hiccup in the grand scheme of the night.
    Overall, we are so pleased with our experience! When my husband and I arrived at The Renaissance and glanced into the ballroom, I was taken aback at how beautiful it was. The whole night felt like a fairy tale. We would choose The Renaissance again in a heartbeat!

Sent on 10/20/2017

Laura · Married on 09/03/2017

We can not say enough good things about The Renaissance, Tommy W. and the entire staff team who worked during my daughter's wedding. Tommy worked with us on every single detail, providing suggestions when we asked for them, steering us to other options if he thought they were better, and simply contributing to the excitement leading up to the big day. The actual event went off without a single hiccup. The staff was amazing - so friendly and helpful. Several of our guests complimented them directly, and also asked that we pass on compliments to our contact person. A huge shout out to The Renaissance, Tommy, Precious, and all of the staff. If you have not visited, you need to go. Pictures do not do it justice!

Sent on 09/10/2017