The Renaissance Reviews

The Renaissance 4
The Renaissance 5

Toni Wilkerson · Getting married on 09/26/2020

One Stop Shop

Tommy and his crew are amazing! Tour was great and his responsiveness is top of the line!

Sent on 11/08/2019
  • Mary

Mary Frances Seligman · Getting married on 07/10/2020

The Renaissance was the absolute best!

The Renaissance was exceptionally amazing! Tommy went above and beyond to make sure it was the wedding of our dreams by answering all of our questions, putting us at ease, and keeping us stress-free throughout the whole wedding planning process. Tommy always worked with us and made sure we were comfortable before making any decision. He also gave us insight into other vendors, and we chose every vendor he suggested for our wedding... the man has impeccable taste!! Overall, Tommy is AMAZING, extremely HELPFUL, and is the BEST person to have coordinate your wedding.

We also have to give a shout out to Emmett, who partners with Tommy, and came in for the tail end portion of the wedding planning/day of. Emmett was the perfect mix of friendly and serious, and his personality and professionalism made us feel so confident that everything was in good hands moving into the final week before our wedding, plus he was an invaluable resouce during the actual Reception!!!!

I also have to give a shoutout to John and Precious for making sure our wedding ran smoothly. They were so amazing to work with and our wedding would not have been the same without them.

As for the food, the food was unbelievable and honestly the best food I have tasted and I am a picky eater!! All of our guests still talk about how great the food was almost 2 months after our wedding!! The set-up for the reception was breath-taking!! They completely made our vision come true and I was so happy with how everything turned out.

Please look no further!! I promise you, you will not find better quality services anywhere else. This entire team will make sure your day is spectacular and flawless. They are the DREAM TEAM!!!

The Renaissance 6
    The Renaissance 15
    The Renaissance 16
    Sent on 12/09/2019

Caitlin Peterson · Getting married on 02/09/2020

The best! Look no further!

The Renaissance was AMAZING! LOOK NO FURTHER!
    My fiancé and I were nervous and on a budget because we were both completing our degrees while planning for a wedding. I especially had researched, called, and talked to so many other venues that seemed good, but just not the right fit for us and our wedding.
    Enter the Renaissance. It was on budget, beautiful, great amenities and most importantly of all, the staff were SO receptive and willing to help us with anything we needed (and I do mean anything). Tommy is absolutely AMAZING (but if you've met him you already know that), but also want to give some love to Precious, Chef John, and Emmett for also making sure our wedding of about 200 guests ran as smoothly as possible. Every single person at the Renaissance answered all our littlest questions as promptly as possible, and no request we made of them (from doing a Mardi Gras style second line to last minute changes to the groomsmen attending to getting high chairs for babies) was met with anything but smiles and absolute willingness to help. The food was amazing (our guest still brag about it a month later), the décor was amazing (even better than I ever could have pictured), and the staff were amazing (Precious and Emmett willing to help us do whatever we needed on the wedding day and Tommy even personally helping me assemble a few decorations the day before the wedding). Through a combination of all our vendors, our guests praised us that this was easily the most fun, most emotional, best wedding and reception they had ever attended, and I absolutely agree. I don't write reviews often and I'm very curt when I do, so I'm not lying when I say the Renaissance is FANTASTIC, THE BEST, and if you're thinking of getting married in VA/DMV area you absolutely should get married here!

Sent on 10/10/2019

Christi Carwile · Married on 11/16/2019

The Best Customer Service and Easiest Team to Work With!

From day one of touring the venue, Tommy was extremely helpful and became a regular point of contact for me throughout wedding planning. He went above and beyond to ensure I had my questions answered and was readily available at a moments' notice if I needed anything. The entire team, including John, the wedding planner, and Precious, were amazing during our wedding day. They helped me feel way less stressed and went out of their way to make sure everyone was happy. The venue was perfect, and everyone said how awesome the wedding was. I highly recommend this hidden gem in Richmond to anyone who is looking for a great ballroom with lots of character and great staff!!!

Sent on 11/29/2019

Nina · Married on 10/05/2019

Hire them for a flawless wedding

I cannot say enough good things about the staff at The Renaissance. Tommy Waters was the first person you speak to. The place sold itself but Tommy was amazing at communication and was extremely transparent since day 1... there were no hidden costs or any secrets. I emailed and called him about a million times throughout the 1.5 years it took to plan my wedding and he was always energetic and willing to help at any capacity. He gave amazing recommendations for my florist and baker and the decor for the wedding was everything I could have imagined and more.

Emmett was in charge of the day of the wedding and WOW he was amazing. Everything ran flawlessly. Any issues that we had he immediately nipped it in the butt in a discrete way. He kept the night running so smoothly and I had no worries at all. He checked on my several times and made sure I had everything that I needed. He made sure I looked beautiful going down the aisle by fluffing my dress and he also helped me bustle my dress.

AMAZING work. I can go on for days about the venue and the amazing staff. They all made sure we were having a great time and I have never met more kind staff in my life. If you want an amazing wedding day free of issues then I highly recommend this venue and the staff. You will not find better quality services anywhere else!

The Renaissance 17
    The Renaissance 18
    Sent on 10/24/2019

Matthew Mcmaster · Married on 08/17/2019

Matthew and Isabel McMaster

Absolutely hands down the greatest treasure in Richmond!! Tommy and John were the best! The professionalism and attention to detail was impeccable! We could not have had such a wonderful wedding without them! The venue is incredible and gives you a vibe of some 19th century beauty and exquisite ambience.... we would recommend The Renaissance for any kind of event but definitely a wedding at the top. Thanks Tommy and John!!!!!

The Renaissance 19
    Sent on 09/02/2019
  • Abby

Abby · Married on 07/13/2019

Exceptionally amazing! Highly recommend!

The Renaissance was AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL, PERFECT for us. At first, I was a little hesitant because the venue was so much cheaper than the rest of the venues that we visited. I was worried that the service would not be as great but I was critically mistaken. This venue is essentially all-inclusive with set-up, tear down, day-of-event coordinator, catering, etc. You do not have to pay multiple vendors but everything is all-in-one (except flowers and make-up). I'll do my review as the following:

--- PEOPLE YOU WORK WITH ---
    Tommy, the Senior Sales/Event Coordinator, was a true blessing with my whole wedding. He helped me with every step of the way. He ensured that every meeting we had was e-mailed to me afterwards so that we were always on the same page. He always provided me examples of what the set-up would look like to help me with my vision. He gave me insights on which other vendors I should choose from. He always worked with me on my budget and made sure I felt comfortable and that I knew everything before making a decision. LASTLY, TOMMY MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE A QUEEN. He makes other vendors treat you like you were just a normal person asking questions about wedding but Tommy, truly prioritizes you and is simply the best person that I've worked with.

The rest of his team, Chef Jon and Precious, were also equally amazing. Whenever Tommy is unavailable, Chef Jon would always respond as quickly as possible with your questions. During the day of the wedding, everyone ensured that I was happy with everything and everything went smoothly. If something bad happened, I had no idea because it was the most perfect day/night of my life.

--- FOOD ---
    The food was mouthwatering and incredible. Wedding guests still talk to me today (two weeks later) about how much the food was so great and it was the most perfect amount (not the small plates that you usually get). People have told me that it was the best wedding food that they've ever had! Food was one of my biggest worry because my husband (now) and I are big fan of food. People usually say that you don't eat during your wedding as a bride and groom. Well, we were not those type of people and WE LOVED IT. We were so surprised about how amazing turned out! Even though we shouldn't be because the tasting was equally amazing but, the wedding night was even better!

--- THE SET-UP AND CLEAN-UP ---
    The whole place was beautiful. Everyone was awed and amazed with how the ceremony & the reception turned out. We used the ballroom for both events and everyone was, again, amazed at everything. People were able to use the other rooms for cocktail hour and the bar was just fun, amazing people. They not only made my vision come true but made it even better and more beautiful than I thought it could ever be. I literally just dropped off the decorations a couple of days before the wedding and they figured out everything else. I could not have asked for anything better. They were able to clean-up everything after the wedding. The only thing they made sure I had were the presents and cards and they gave those to my parents and bridesmaids. They gave me a few days to retrieve the rest of my decorations but they were able to put it all together and just give me a few bags so I had no issues at all.

OVERALL, I loved the Renaissance. I highly recommend it to anyone who is on a budget and still want an extravagant wedding. The people, the food, everything was just exceptionally amazing.

The Renaissance 20
    The Renaissance 21
    The Renaissance 22
    Sent on 07/29/2019
  • Rachel

Rachel · Married on 05/11/2019

Totally amazing!

Tommy and his staff were beyond awesome!! Planning a wedding can be very stressful but working with the team at the Renaissance was stress-free. Tommy was available to help us with every question we had and even helped us think of things we didn't know that was necessary. Don't even get me started with the food, they have an amazing selection of food. The only problem that we had was after the taste testing, we couldn't decide which option we wanted because all of Chef John's food was extremely delicious. On the wedding day, we arrived at a ceremony and reception hall that exceeded all of our expectations. The staff laid out my vision perfectly! We had so much fun and success working with Tommy! We would highly recommend using the Renaissance as the wedding venue of choice to anyone looking. We love Tommy and staff, they made our perfect day even more magical!

Sent on 07/02/2019

The Renaissance's reply:

That you all so much!! We had such a great time with you two and all you wonderful guests!!! We are missing you already!!!!
  • Josh

Josh Lankford · Married on 05/11/2019

Wonderful!

We couldn't have had a better experience with a wedding venue! The staff and place was just amazing!

Sent on 11/07/2019
  • Katlyn

Katlyn · Married on 05/04/2019

May the 4th be with you!

We found the Renaissance on Instagram and fell in love with the beautiful photos. We met Tommy at a wedding expo and fell in love with him and knew we had to schedule a tour. After seeing the venue in person, meeting Jon, Precious and the whole team and hearing what all they had to offer, we knew we were in good hands and wanted to book it immediately. You can tell Tommy absolutely loves what he does and is good at it. He loves the venue and encouraged us through all our dreams of our day. The food was so great, our guests gave so many compliments the whole night and couldn’t get enough of the roasted vegetable display during cocktail hour. My husband and I are not big fans of cake and our families thought we were crazy when we decided to do a wall of donuts instead and also as our favors. Our coordinator, Dana (who was so great!!), was able to keep this giant wall of donut hidden from our guests during the ceremony and surprised everyone with it center stage during our reception. 1. I think our guests were super stoked for donuts but 2. They loved being able to walk up on the stage and pick out which donut they wanted, it just gave our guests one more fun thing to do. We really didn’t feel stressed or overwhelmed through the whole planning process and felt like the whole team was there for us whenever we had any questions or concerned. Our whole day turned out so perfect and the force was strong on May the 4th and left a lasting impression on us and all of our guests!!

Sent on 05/07/2019

Alicia Chappell · Married on 12/15/2018

Our day was perfect!

Our experience was perfect! I would highly recommend the Renaissance and their team! My husband and I could not have been more pleased!!

The Renaissance 23
    The Renaissance 24
    The Renaissance 25
    Sent on 01/17/2019

Skip Martin · Married on 11/18/2018

Father of the Bride.

I’m sure you may not see too many fathers post comments here however, I felt the need to because of the level of excellence Tommy, Jon and their staff brought to my daughter’s wedding reception which, was held at the Renaissance on 11/17/2018. Well prior to the event, Tommy and Jon met with my wife and I to discuss options for having our event at their venue. Our daughter lives in Harrisonburg, VA which, made it difficult for her to do the initial vetting of the venues we surveyed.

From our experience, Tommy and Jon brought a level of professionalism, options and resources unmatched by their competitors. They were extremely flexible with their offerings which, made the event affordable for us. The atmosphere was exquisite. It gave us a feel of the formality that folks in the 30’s and 40’s experienced. The grand ballroom gave us a sense that those folks really knew how to throw a party and Tommy, Jon and their staff lived up to the vision. The food options were varied, flavorful and nicely presented. The photo booth was a big hit and we were able to price an open bar that was affordable to the point that we did not go over our budget. My wife and I chose to hire a valet company to help with parking and the connection between the Renaissance and the parking vendor was seamless.

I highly recommend that you, at least, consider the Renaissance for your event. I believe you will experience what my family experienced which, was a flawless night of top notch celebration.

Sent on 11/27/2018
  • Lindsey

Lindsey Scott · Married on 11/17/2018

Our Dream Wedding Come True!

Tommy, Jon, Precious, and their team are an absolute dream! Our wedding day came together so beautifully because of their hard work! From day one, Tommy gave us all of the information we needed and then some to plan our special day. He allowed us to customize our event to make it exactly what we wanted and provided suggestions along the way. Honestly, the entire planning process was stress-free because of his guidance, and, coming from a Type-A Bride, that's really saying something! Responses to questions were always prompt and Tommy was always willing to meet in person or over the phone to answer any and all questions. He even took the time to walk through every decoration and item my family brought to the venue the Thursday prior to the wedding with my Mom and Dad to make sure he knew what our wishes were in their placement. That's personalized service at its finest!

As a self-proclaimed foodie, Jon's menus are top-notch! Seriously, we have guests still raving about the menu and the service was impeccable! No one sat waiting for for their meal to be plated for more than a few minutes. With an almost 200 person guest list, they were efficient and attentive from beginning to end!

Many thanks to the Renaissance for making our wedding day spectacular! The new Mr. and Mrs. Scott are overjoyed with our experience!

Sent on 11/29/2018
  • Michelle

Michelle · Married on 10/06/2018

Amazing Venue, Amazing experiences, Amazing Wedding

We could not have been happier with our experience marrying and holding our reception at the Renaissance. I would give them a perfect 10! Tommy was a dream to work with. He made the whole wedding experience more delightful (as it can get stressful at times). He was supportive and always available for questions or assistance in a quick manner.

One of the things I found very valuable was having other vendors associated with the Renaissance close by. Tommy put me in contact with lighting and florist. These vendors were familiar with the set-up of this Venue and I felt this helped to ensure the STUNNING decor that we achieved on our big day. Also, the venue has their own photo booth that you can rent. All these connections made it more like a 'one stop shop' which was very much welcomed!

I cannot get over the beauty of the venue on the day of our wedding. Something that my husband and I both commented on was that this venue allowed us to be us. We didn't feel that at the other venues we toured!

During the reception and ceremony, the staff were amazing and made sure that it was a night to remember!

I would recommend the Renaissance to any couple looking for a classic, ballroom setting. Absolutely stunning and AMAZING staff.

Sent on 12/09/2018

Bernice · Married on 09/22/2018

OMG!!! what a day, what a day!!!! What a day to remember and what great relationships that were built with the staff at The Renaissance of Richmond, VA. I am the mother of the bride and my daughter had her dream wedding thanks to Tommy Waters, John Beattie and Emmett Hickman. . I starting planning this wedding 18 months in advance and Tommy was by my side whenever I needed him to be. From the 1st look tour to the tasting, to the completion of the seating chart (in which he sat down with me and my frustration for 2 hrs. at a moments notice to check and double check my seating chart). Tommy treated my daughter's wedding as if it were his very own. He gave me the best advice. John Beattie, the executive chef, as well, was superb!! We decided to have the rehearsal dinner at the venue as well and the food for that and the main event was just plain ole delicious!!! I feel like I gained new best friends. They treated me and my family with nothing but the upmost respect for our event. Emmett Hickman was our day of Wedding Planner and he rocked it. Whatever blips came about, with one of our vendors, Emmett did his very best to resolve them and he kept it moving right along. He is one of the best in the industry. You will be privileged to have him work your event. . I must not forget the staff at The Renaissance. Such professionals, in dealing with us. They were absolutely wonderful!!!! Believe me if you're considering The Renaissance as your event venue, they will definitely make your event a time to remember. Thank you so very much Tommy, John and Emmett, I will never ever forget the service and graciousness you provided to my daughter and myself in bringing together a day she will never forget.

Sent on 10/10/2018

Jo · Married on 09/15/2018

My husband and I are so grateful to have had the opportunity to work with Tommy and his team at the Renaissance. Tommy and his team were extremely professional and provided quality customer service. They went above and beyond the call of duty. It's because of them that our wedding went off without a hitch!

It was so stress-free to know that we had a team of professionals working with us to help decide on decorations, linen, flowers, favors, etc. for the ceremony and reception. The fact that all of this was provided by the venue for one price (venue, food, drinks, set up, ect) - was so so wonderful! It really made the experience so smooth and stress-free.

We received wonderful feedback from family and friends on how lovely and professional everyone was and how delicious the food was! The whole team made us feel apart of their family, and made sure we were taken care of. We would highly recommend the Renaissance to anyone for their event!

Sent on 10/09/2018

LaVette · Married on 08/25/2018

Sherwood and I are so very grateful to have had to opportunity to work with Tommy and his staff. From my first meeting with Tommy our personalities matched and I knew I wanted my wedding at the Renaissance. Tommy was extremely professional and provided superb customer service. Tommy went over and beyond the call of duty and also guided us with helpful advice. There was so much love, care, and commitment into making our fairytale come to life. Several guest have told us that our fairytale was the best wedding they had ever witnessed in person. The food was excellent and everyone still talk about the mash potatoes. To sum up our day it was perfect in very sense.

Sent on 10/09/2018

Kyrel · Married on 08/19/2018

The whole renaissance team was outstanding. From start to finish all our demands were met and any questions we had got answered in a timely fashion. Our photography backed out and Tommy was able to obtain a back up one for me in 24 hours, amazing. We weren’t pressured into going over our budget and they made my wife’s vision come true. In TEN years when we renew our vowels I will be contacting them first!!!

The Renaissance 26
    The Renaissance 27
    Sent on 08/22/2018

Shavon · Married on 08/19/2018

The Renaissance is such a beautiful venue. The staff was amazing and worked miracles for my wedding!!!

Sent on 08/28/2018
  • Quinnchel

Quinnchel · Married on 08/18/2018

Our wedding was held here on 8.18.18 and it was absolutely beautiful! We had our ceremony and reception in the same room under the bistro lights, and it was everything! Our guests really enjoyed themselves and they especially loved the photo booth, I am so glad we decided to get it!.. Special thanks to Tommy, John and Precious for their assistance!

The Renaissance 28
    Sent on 09/03/2018

Michelle · Married on 05/12/2018

My husband and I started our wedding planning with limited time (due to last minute changes from destination wedding to local)...so things were a little stressful. The Renaissance was probably the fourth/fifth place we viewed and I was immediately sold!!! It was absolutely beautiful and that ballroom was perfect. The ballroom was so beautiful little to no extra decorations are needed. From the beginning to the end of the process Tommy and Emmett made sure everything was a go and ran smoothly. They were constantly in contact and basically handled everything for me. I told them my vision and they made it happen! Anything that I needed to do was explained to me in direct easy details. Also huge kudos to the chef....the food was amazing. I highly recommend this venue!!

The Renaissance 29
    The Renaissance 34
    The Renaissance 35
    Sent on 06/07/2018

Malory · Married on 01/27/2018

I absolutely loved my experience at the Renaissance! First of all, the ballroom is gorgeous! The chandeliers give a regal vibe. If you opt for bistro lighting, as well, it really creates a magical atmosphere! Secondly, Tommy was great! He was prompt at replying to my many emails and really guided me through the whole process. He knows his stuff! He gave me confidence that I had nothing to stress about and made me feel at ease with everything. Planning a wedding is definitely stressful at times and so it was great to have that reassurance. I highly recommend the Renaissance and couldn’t possibly think of anything I would change about my wedding day/venue.

Sent on 08/21/2018

Karen · Married on 12/31/2017

If you are looking for a top notch venue for a reasonable price, the only place in Richmond is The Renaissance. Tommy, Jon, Precious, and their entire staff are incredible in executing your dream wedding. From the moment we first contacted Tommy up until the end of our wedding day, The Renaissance team was there to ensure our day was absolutely perfect. Our New Year’s Eve wedding consisted of just over 150 people and the venue itself was perfect. There were about 20 tables and did not feel crowded with that many people. There was also a large space for the dance floor! The staff was able to accommodate some out of the box ideas for us and did not shy away at a challenge. When we arrived to drop items off before our wedding day, Precious and her team took detailed notes of where each item should be placed. When we arrived on our wedding day, everything was set up exactly the way we envisioned and even with a few little unexpected surprises added that made everything look wonderful. We added on the professional photo booth as well which we highly recommend as it was a great keepsake for the guests.The bar had an expansive selection of beers and alcohol available and multiple guests commented to us about how nice and accommodating the bar staff was. The quality of the food was beyond what we expected. Many guests commented on how tasty both the food and appetizers were during our reception. If your worried about price, don’t be. It was almost unreal how much we got for how nice the venue was in comparison to other venues of this size in the area. All of the items we added on were also competitive in price which is directly attributed to how well the staff is regarded in the wedding industry and the relationships they have built with other vendors in the area. If you're lucky enough to have your wedding at The Renaissance, you’re in for a real treat!

Sent on 01/15/2018

Donna · Married on 12/31/2017

December 30th, 2017 at The Renaissance was perfect for the rehearsal dinner for our son! We had 56 people for cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, sit down dinner, & plated desserts! The professionalism & flexibility displayed throughout the planning process brought peace of mind. The phenomenal service and delicious food created a perfect evening for everyone!

Sent on 01/18/2018

T · Married on 12/31/2017

We had an awesome Rehearsal Dinner experience at The Renaissance. Everything was perfect from the planning stage all the way through to the big event. The food was absolutely delicious and the staff was very responsive. I would highly recommend The Renaissance for any event!

Sent on 01/25/2018