Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum Reviews

32 | Pittsburgh, PA

32 Reviews for Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum

Morgan · Married on 10/13/2018

Beyond our wildest dreams

You cannot find a better place to host an event in Pittsburgh! The beauty of the venue alone with have you sold but the staff will blow you away! Angela is one of the sweetest people you’ll meet and her, along with the entire staff, will handle your day with ease. It was an absolute pleasure working with them and they made our wedding beyond what we thought possible! ❤️

Bettyann · Married on 09/01/2018

Where should I begin! Angela, Amber and Katie are absolutely wonderful! You would think it’s their wedding. They were so accommodating, anything we wanted and truly cared about us. The ballroom in itself is beautiful and after the final details, it was stunning and elegant. It could of not been any more beautiful. I can not say enough about the staff. They made it so easy for us, they dealt with all the vendors and all the tiniest details. It would never gone so smooth without them. We got so many compliments on the reception that nothing was missed and was the perfect wedding. The ceremony on the patio in front of the building was just beautiful. Beautiful setting! I would have another wedding there, if I could. BettyAnn

• Naomi

Naomi · Married on 08/17/2018

Our reception at Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall was a dream. They are the best value for the price – we had the museum reserved all day, the groomsmen were able to get ready in their private suite, and the tables and chairs were included, which is a huge cost savings. Not only that, the venue is absolutely stunning – our reception there took everyone’s breath away!

Amber and Katie did absolutely everything in their power to make sure we had a perfect day! Not only did they provide a killer list of preferred vendors (we became so close with our caterer because of their recommendation!), both Amber and Katie took time out of their busy schedules to speak to me on the phone, provide recommendations about our wedding day timeline, discuss logistics, etc. I was planning from another city so often only had time on the weekends to come to Pittsburgh, and they always made sure they had someone available to talk to me when necessary. The reception was absolutely gorgeous – their staff, their bartenders, and their event coordinators took care of us the entire evening. Amber even stayed late (Katie was the only one coordinating the day of) to see us and say hi during the reception! We are so grateful that we became friends with them and truly loved our experience working with this team.

Jamie · Married on 06/02/2018

When it comes to picking a wedding venue, we hit the jackpot! Not only was this venue absolutely stunning, but we also got incredibly lucky in having the most wonderful venue team to work with from initial tour through our big day. Amber, Angela and Katie were a dream to work with. They were organized, flexible, responsive and so easy to get along with, and they made a generally stressful process virtually stress free! We were able to utilize the entire building and outdoor area for our cocktail hour and reception (and you can use the space for your ceremony, too), so not only did we have a massive, gorgeous space for our guests, but the photo ops were endless. We couldn't have wished for a more perfect space and team!

• Kaila

Kaila · Married on 12/16/2017

I recently got married at Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall on 12/16/17 and am SO happy with my venue choice. The venue is absolutely gorgeous, the ceilings are incredible in the ballroom and in the auditorium. We held our ceremony in the auditorium, and reception in the ballroom. During my initial visit before booking Amber answered all my questions and gave me a very thorough walk through of the venue. Amber is awesome! She answered all my emails in a timely manner, was super professional, and made recommendations that were helpful throughout my planning process. The whole event coordinator team was excellent. I was pleased with how everything came together the day of and their coordination with all of our other vendors. All of our guests loved the venue and how it was unlike any other venue they've been to. The venue offers a nice military discount and seasonal discounts as well. The location is right by PITT campus and not too far from downtown. There are plenty of hotels nearby for out of town guests. I can't get over how beautiful this venue is and how amazing the team was to us. Our wedding day was truly the best day ever! PS check out their Pinterest wedding board for ideas and inspiration. You will not be disappointed with this venue choice.

• Steagles

Katie · Married on 08/26/2017

I cannot say enough about this venue and the staff there. Aly and Angela were very responsive, knowledgeable, and energetic. They were so easy to work with and they do this ALL THE TIME, so they have seen it all and know what's best if asked for recommendations. The venue is GORGEOUS and excellent value for the price. They have a list of preferred vendors, but multiple of each, so you can work with a range of price points and tastes to find one that fits. This has to be one of the premier venues in the city and I'm so glad I chose S&S. We also had our ceremony out in front of the building, which was beautiful and highly convenient for guests. When we toured venues in September 2016 for a spring-summer-fall 2017 wedding, almost all venues we saw had plenty of availability except for S&S, which was almost booked solid on Saturdays. We got in only because of a cancellation. That speaks to its popularity and reputation!

Things S&S doesn't brag about but should:
    They let us come in starting the TUESDAY before my Saturday wedding to drop things off, and we had through Monday to clean up. I can't say enough about how much stress and hassle that saved us and our parents. No last-minute rushing or late-night cleanup for us! We got to walk in Saturday with everything already done and walk out at the end to go to our afterparty without a second thought!
    The bathrooms are huge! Ten stalls in the ladies' room meant no one spent my wedding waiting in line to use the bathroom.
    The balcony! It's open during the cocktail hour and reception, and is a place to take a breather and have a quieter conversation or watch the action from above.
    Parking: easy-peasy with a huge university-run lot underneath the facility.

Racheal · Married on 07/29/2017

Soldiers and Sailors was the absolute perfect wedding vendor! Amber and Aly were amazing to work with and went above and beyond to offer suggestions and ideas to make our day perfect! We couldn't have asked for a better team. The team made sure everything ran smoothly the day of and we had zero issues! It was also nice that we were able to deliver all of our day of items throughout the week and did not need to pick them back up until the following Monday. Additionally they have a list of recommended vendors who we were all very pleased with! We would highly recommend this venue!

Bethany · Married on 02/04/2017

Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall is a hidden gem in Pittsburgh. We held both our wedding ceremony and reception in the ballroom this February. While it was a chilly day in the city, the venue created a warm and inviting atmosphere for our guests. Aly and Amber were a pleasure to work, and eased my concerns while planning our wedding from out of town. Since our wedding we have continued to receive comments about how beautiful everything was and we couldn’t be happier!

Christina · Married on 12/10/2016

I don't have enough good things to say about Soldiers and Sailors. The venue is absolutely incredible. The beauty of the building inside and out is so beautiful. I've only seen a handful of our pictures, but wow the building just made our pictures that much more beautiful. We just got married 3 weeks ago, and Amber and Ally truly made it the best night of our lives. We had the ceremony in the ballroom, they escorted everyone out to the foyer for cocktail hour, and within fifteen minutes the team transformed the ballroom into our incredible reception space. Soldiers was the perfect place for a wedding and reception! Please please check this place out, you will not be disappointed!

Katie · Married on 10/15/2016

This is a legit 5 star review for everyone at Soldiers and Sailors. They were resourceful, accommodating (especially to my last minute changes during the rehearsal), and genuinely nice to work with. I planned our wedding from out-of-state so these were incredibly important factors for me since a lot of the planning was done "sight unseen." The outdoor venue for the ceremony was one of the best decisions that we made for our wedding and it's thanks to the ladies at Soldiers and Sailors who told me to take the chance on October Pittsburgh weather (insisting they could change it to indoors with little notice if needed). They were very helpful with dealing with the vendors and giving us ideas on floorplans/ceremony layout.

Christina · Married on 10/08/2016

We had the most gorgeous and classy wedding reception at Soldiers and Sailors!!! Amber was awesome and did a wonderful job making sure the event went smoothly and gave us great advice for our big day. The ballroom was absolutely gorgeous - our guests LOVED the vintage and classy feel of the room. It was the perfect place for us!

Andrea · Married on 07/30/2016

We first met with Amber and Aly with a vague thought on what our wedding would be like. After working with them both, our wedding transformed into an absolute dream-come-true. Both Amber and Aly went out of their way to make my husband and I feel comfortable, worry-free and excited for our wedding day. They took charge when need be to make the day go on without a hitch. Both girls are full of so much joy and passion - we were honored to have worked with them to plan our special event!

Kelsey · Married on 06/11/2016

I am so glad I found Soldiers and Sailors. Not only is it a beautiful and convenient location, but Amber and Aly are FABULOUS. We knew we wanted a location within the city itself and were having trouble finding affordable and unique, interesting options. The minute we walked into Soldiers & Sailors we knew it was the right place. We had our ceremony and reception there, which was great for our guests. We planned on having the ceremony outside, but moved it inside because of heat. I loved how many options and the flexibility we had. And Amber and Aly are literally the greatest. I didn't have a wedding planner and was nervous about how the day of would actually go. It was FLAWLESS. Amber and Aly are true professionals and I had such a blast at my wedding - thanks to them. They were also great at communicating and answering questions leading up to the wedding. We could not be happier with our decision to get married at Soldiers & Sailors!

Samantha · Married on 09/26/2015

My husband and I held our wedding reception at Soldiers & Sailors and it was absolutely amazing. Amber and Aly were a joy to work with and made sure everything went smoothly. This is such a beautiful venue and I would absolutely recommend it for any wedding!

Sarah · Married on 09/05/2015

Wedding Date: 9/5/15

We did not have our ceremony at Soldiers and Sailors, only our reception. Soldiers and Sailors was absolutely fantastic. They worked with us untiringly to create the wedding of our dreams. The Grand Ballroom is just spectacular. Even without any decorations or centerpieces, the wedding would have been beautiful because the space is gorgeous. The balcony on the next floor circles around the entire ballroom and is a perfect addition to an already beautiful space. Amber worked with us untiringly. I'm very specific in my details and Amber was so accommodating and friendly. She went above and beyond to help me with everything I needed. The hall was set up exactly as we had discussed, everything we needed (down to a trash can for wet wipes) was placed where it was supposed to be. She made up alcohol sheets for our open bar (which I just thought was a lovely, unique touch) and made sure we had access to everything we needed to make our day special. We thought the price of the hall was very reasonable in comparison to other venues in the area, especially when you factor in the history and architecture. Soldiers and Sailors is, first and foremost, a museum. They left the exhibits open for our guests so that they could peruse them during cocktail hour, which was wonderful. It rained on our wedding day, but it didn't matter - Soldiers and Sailors is SO beautiful that all of our pictures were taken indoors and they turned out stunning. I would definitely recommend Soldiers and Sailors for your wedding! You won't be disappointed!

• Kristin

Kristin · Married on 04/25/2015

We held our wedding reception at Soldiers & Sailors on April 25, 2015. Soldiers & Sailors is such a beautiful venue and we knew from the start we wanted to have our wedding reception there, but knowing they have a great group of people to work with made it even better. We worked with Amber Gehring at Soldiers to plan our reception. She discussed every detail with us and went through all the options of caterers, vendors, etc. we could choose from. She was so helpful and very responsive to all of our questions and needs throughout the whole wedding planning process. We were also able to drop off any items (cookies, guest book, etc) we had for the reception a few days prior to our date which was very helpful. We also utilized their projector for a picture slideshow during the father-daughter and mother-son dance and it worked out beautifully. Jerry was there to help us test our slideshow and laptop a few days prior to the wedding to ensure all was working properly. We also received an engraved brick outside Soldiers & Sailors for our wedding which is such a neat personal touch. Our wedding day was so beautiful and special and we cannot thank everyone to Soldiers & Sailors enough for making our day so perfect! Soldiers & Sailor is a great venue to have a wedding reception and I would recommend this venue to anyone looking for a unique space for their special day!

Soldiers and Sailors is an amazing venue. The grand ballroom on the third floor is huge, gorgeous, and the perfect place for a reception. Amber, the coordinator, is awesome to work with, on the ball, pays attention to every detail, and responds quickly to all contact. The vendors they suggest we work with were awesome, and the staff day of event were great. The bartenders even gave special attention to the parents, so they never had to wait for a drink. Overall it was the most perfect place ever for a reception!

Elizabeth · Married on 07/06/2013

We absolutely loved having our wedding at Soldiers & Sailors and were very pleased with how everything turned out! Marjorie, Amber, and the rest of the staff were amazing to work with. From the moment we booked the venue up until the day before the wedding they were always so accommodating with every email and phone call. Amber was extremely helpful and really made sure that everything ran smoothly for us. We emailed back and forth a lot towards the end and she was always so nice and willing to go over whatever I needed. We were honored to have our reception in a building with so much history and love how the space looks in our photos. I would definitely recommend Soldiers and Sailors for a wedding reception, the whole experience was great!

Lauren · Married on 10/08/2011

The ballroom at Soldiers and Sailors, in Oakland, isn't necessarily one of the first venues people think of when planning a wedding, and that makes it a truly hidden gem. This space is perfect for a wedding reception, and the people who work there are phenomenal. Marjorie is in charge, and she's one of nicest people I've ever encountered. The whole team is so sweet and accommodating. Throughout the whole process they answered as many questions as we could throw at them and helped us determine the best way to coordinate all the pieces of our reception. The room is great because the whole floor is a dance floor, so you can arrange it like you want it. They have equipment for slideshows. If the weather is nice, you can have your cocktail hour outside. I would definitely recommend this space for a wedding reception.

Christian · Married on 08/20/2011

My wife and I loved our wedding at Soldiers and Sailors. It was top notch, the staff was fantastic, and we'd recommend them to anyone looking for a beautiful, well coordinated event.

judi · Married on 06/25/2011

Had our Daughter's Wedding reception here in June. It was perfect! Guests really enjoyed the food, the hall can be set according to your needs, and allows ample space for dancing. We had 200 guests, room between tables to walk. We had much fexibility with planning, Marjorie is great to work with, and shares her experience with you to make planning even smoother. Would highly recommend this venue to any bride who is looking for a unique and comfortable experience for her guests!

Joan · Married on 04/07/2011

Can anyone give me some insight on which caterers to choose at Soldiers and Sailors? I am deliberating whether to use them for my 2013 wedding.

Diana · Married on 11/16/2010

Marjorie was great! Everything looked amazing!

Melissa · Married on 04/21/2018

Such a beautiful and perfect venue. The staff was amazing through the entire process. It is the perfect location too. We used the Wyndham hotel which was literally next door and so convenient for our guests. Our ceremony was at St. Paul's Cathedral as well and was in walking distant for guests.

D. · Married on 04/22/2017

I had my reception at Soldiers and Sailors and Aly in April, 2018. I My husband and I knew when we first saw the ballroom, this would be the venue for our reception. It is a elegant venue . Amber and Aly were wonderful to work with They were extremely helpful. We had a wonderful experience working with them, which allowed us to have an excellent experience,

IT WAS THE BEST DAY EVER! The venue played a huge part in the success of our weekend and the amount of our guests who are still talking about our wedding and venue is a testament to that.