29 Reviews for Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum

Furniture (1)
Chairs (1)
Parking (1)
29 Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum Reviews

When it comes to picking a wedding venue, we hit the jackpot! Not only was this venue absolutely stunning, but we also got incredibly lucky in having the most wonderful venue team to work with from initial tour through our big day. Amber, Angela and Katie were a dream to work with. They were organized, flexible, responsive and so easy to get along with, and they made a generally stressful process virtually stress free! We were able to utilize the entire building and outdoor area for our cocktail hour and reception (and you can use the space for your ceremony, too), so not only did we have a massive, gorgeous space for our guests, but the photo ops were endless. We couldn't have wished for a more perfect space and team!

Profile Picture Jamie, 6/2/18, 7 Reviews
Services Used: Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Event Planning

Such a beautiful and perfect venue. The staff was amazing through the entire process. It is the perfect location too. We used the Wyndham hotel which was literally next door and so convenient for our guests. Our ceremony was at St. Paul's Cathedral as well and was in walking distant for guests.

Profile Picture Melissa, 4/21/18, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Event Planning

I recently got married at Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall on 12/16/17 and am SO happy with my venue choice. The venue is absolutely gorgeous, the ceilings are incredible in the ballroom and in the auditorium. We held our ceremony in the auditorium, and reception in the ballroom. During my initial visit before booking Amber answered all my questions and gave me a very thorough walk through of the venue. Amber is awesome! She answered all my emails in a timely manner, was super professional, and made recommendations that were helpful throughout my planning process. The whole event coordinator team was excellent. I was pleased with how everything came together the day of and their coordination with all of our other vendors. All of our guests loved the venue and how it was unlike any other venue they've been to. The venue offers a nice military discount and seasonal discounts as well. The location is right by PITT campus and not too far from downtown. There are plenty of hotels nearby for out of town guests. I can't get over how beautiful this venue is and how amazing the team was to us. Our wedding day was truly the best day ever! PS check out their Pinterest wedding board for ideas and inspiration. You will not be disappointed with this venue choice.

Profile Picture Kaila, 12/16/17, 3 Reviews
Services Used: Indoor

I cannot say enough about this venue and the staff there. Aly and Angela were very responsive, knowledgeable, and energetic. They were so easy to work with and they do this ALL THE TIME, so they have seen it all and know what's best if asked for recommendations. The venue is GORGEOUS and excellent value for the price. They have a list of preferred vendors, but multiple of each, so you can work with a range of price points and tastes to find one that fits. This has to be one of the premier venues in the city and I'm so glad I chose S&S. We also had our ceremony out in front of the building, which was beautiful and highly convenient for guests. When we toured venues in September 2016 for a spring-summer-fall 2017 wedding, almost all venues we saw had plenty of availability except for S&S, which was almost booked solid on Saturdays. We got in only because of a cancellation. That speaks to its popularity and reputation!

Things S&S doesn't brag about but should:
They let us come in starting the TUESDAY before my Saturday wedding to drop things off, and we had through Monday to clean up. I can't say enough about how much stress and hassle that saved us and our parents. No last-minute rushing or late-night cleanup for us! We got to walk in Saturday with everything already done and walk out at the end to go to our afterparty without a second thought!
The bathrooms are huge! Ten stalls in the ladies' room meant no one spent my wedding waiting in line to use the bathroom.
The balcony! It's open during the cocktail hour and reception, and is a place to take a breather and have a quieter conversation or watch the action from above.
Parking: easy-peasy with a huge university-run lot underneath the facility.

Profile Picture Katie, 8/26/17, 11 Reviews
Services Used: Uncovered Outdoor, Event Planning

Soldiers and Sailors was the absolute perfect wedding vendor! Amber and Aly were amazing to work with and went above and beyond to offer suggestions and ideas to make our day perfect! We couldn't have asked for a better team. The team made sure everything ran smoothly the day of and we had zero issues! It was also nice that we were able to deliver all of our day of items throughout the week and did not need to pick them back up until the following Monday. Additionally they have a list of recommended vendors who we were all very pleased with! We would highly recommend this venue!

Profile Picture Racheal, 7/29/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I had my reception at Soldiers and Sailors and Aly in April, 2018. I My husband and I knew when we first saw the ballroom, this would be the venue for our reception. It is a elegant venue . Amber and Aly were wonderful to work with They were extremely helpful. We had a wonderful experience working with them, which allowed us to have an excellent experience,

IT WAS THE BEST DAY EVER! The venue played a huge part in the success of our weekend and the amount of our guests who are still talking about our wedding and venue is a testament to that.

Profile Picture D., 4/22/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall is a hidden gem in Pittsburgh. We held both our wedding ceremony and reception in the ballroom this February. While it was a chilly day in the city, the venue created a warm and inviting atmosphere for our guests. Aly and Amber were a pleasure to work, and eased my concerns while planning our wedding from out of town. Since our wedding we have continued to receive comments about how beautiful everything was and we couldn’t be happier!

Profile Picture Bethany , 2/4/17, 8 Reviews
Services Used: Indoor, Event Planning

I don't have enough good things to say about Soldiers and Sailors. The venue is absolutely incredible. The beauty of the building inside and out is so beautiful. I've only seen a handful of our pictures, but wow the building just made our pictures that much more beautiful. We just got married 3 weeks ago, and Amber and Ally truly made it the best night of our lives. We had the ceremony in the ballroom, they escorted everyone out to the foyer for cocktail hour, and within fifteen minutes the team transformed the ballroom into our incredible reception space. Soldiers was the perfect place for a wedding and reception! Please please check this place out, you will not be disappointed!

Profile Picture Christina, 12/10/16, 6 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

This is a legit 5 star review for everyone at Soldiers and Sailors. They were resourceful, accommodating (especially to my last minute changes during the rehearsal), and genuinely nice to work with. I planned our wedding from out-of-state so these were incredibly important factors for me since a lot of the planning was done "sight unseen." The outdoor venue for the ceremony was one of the best decisions that we made for our wedding and it's thanks to the ladies at Soldiers and Sailors who told me to take the chance on October Pittsburgh weather (insisting they could change it to indoors with little notice if needed). They were very helpful with dealing with the vendors and giving us ideas on floorplans/ceremony layout.

Profile Picture Katie, 10/15/16, 7 Reviews
Services Used: Event Planning, Indoor

We had the most gorgeous and classy wedding reception at Soldiers and Sailors!!! Amber was awesome and did a wonderful job making sure the event went smoothly and gave us great advice for our big day. The ballroom was absolutely gorgeous - our guests LOVED the vintage and classy feel of the room. It was the perfect place for us!

Profile Picture Christina, 10/8/16, 14 Reviews
Services Used: Indoor, Event Planning

We loved Soldiers & Sailors. Aly was really quick to respond to emails and answer questions or make suggestions. They do have a preferred vendors list that is a "select from" not a "we like" so if you are dead set on a particular caterer or rental company, be sure to check the list. But we had no problems picking from it and our day was absolutely amazing. It is a beautiful space and it was perfect for us for our day.

Profile Picture Michelle, 9/4/16, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We first met with Amber and Aly with a vague thought on what our wedding would be like. After working with them both, our wedding transformed into an absolute dream-come-true. Both Amber and Aly went out of their way to make my husband and I feel comfortable, worry-free and excited for our wedding day. They took charge when need be to make the day go on without a hitch. Both girls are full of so much joy and passion - we were honored to have worked with them to plan our special event!

Profile Picture Andrea, 7/30/16, 6 Reviews
Services Used: Event Planning, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor

I am so glad I found Soldiers and Sailors. Not only is it a beautiful and convenient location, but Amber and Aly are FABULOUS. We knew we wanted a location within the city itself and were having trouble finding affordable and unique, interesting options. The minute we walked into Soldiers & Sailors we knew it was the right place. We had our ceremony and reception there, which was great for our guests. We planned on having the ceremony outside, but moved it inside because of heat. I loved how many options and the flexibility we had. And Amber and Aly are literally the greatest. I didn't have a wedding planner and was nervous about how the day of would actually go. It was FLAWLESS. Amber and Aly are true professionals and I had such a blast at my wedding - thanks to them. They were also great at communicating and answering questions leading up to the wedding. We could not be happier with our decision to get married at Soldiers & Sailors!

Profile Picture Kelsey, 6/11/16, 10 Reviews
Services Used: Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Event Planning

My husband and I held our wedding reception at Soldiers & Sailors and it was absolutely amazing. Amber and Aly were a joy to work with and made sure everything went smoothly. This is such a beautiful venue and I would absolutely recommend it for any wedding!

Profile Picture Samantha, 9/26/15, 1 Review

Wedding Date: 9/5/15

We did not have our ceremony at Soldiers and Sailors, only our reception. Soldiers and Sailors was absolutely fantastic. They worked with us untiringly to create the wedding of our dreams. The Grand Ballroom is just spectacular. Even without any decorations or centerpieces, the wedding would have been beautiful because the space is gorgeous. The balcony on the next floor circles around the entire ballroom and is a perfect addition to an already beautiful space. Amber worked with us untiringly. I'm very specific in my details and Amber was so accommodating and friendly. She went above and beyond to help me with everything I needed. The hall was set up exactly as we had discussed, everything we needed (down to a trash can for wet wipes) was placed where it was supposed to be. She made up alcohol sheets for our open bar (which I just thought was a lovely, unique touch) and made sure we had access to everything we needed to make our day special. We thought the price of the hall was very reasonable in comparison to other venues in the area, especially when you factor in the history and architecture. Soldiers and Sailors is, first and foremost, a museum. They left the exhibits open for our guests so that they could peruse them during cocktail hour, which was wonderful. It rained on our wedding day, but it didn't matter - Soldiers and Sailors is SO beautiful that all of our pictures were taken indoors and they turned out stunning. I would definitely recommend Soldiers and Sailors for your wedding! You won't be disappointed!

Profile Picture Sarah, 9/5/15, 8 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Set Up, Bridal Suite, Bartender(s), Liquor License, Open Bar, Dance Floor, Furniture, Chairs, Parking

Awesome location! Very professional and spot on with the details

Profile Picture User5217671, 2+ years ago, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We held our wedding reception at Soldiers & Sailors on April 25, 2015. Soldiers & Sailors is such a beautiful venue and we knew from the start we wanted to have our wedding reception there, but knowing they have a great group of people to work with made it even better. We worked with Amber Gehring at Soldiers to plan our reception. She discussed every detail with us and went through all the options of caterers, vendors, etc. we could choose from. She was so helpful and very responsive to all of our questions and needs throughout the whole wedding planning process. We were also able to drop off any items (cookies, guest book, etc) we had for the reception a few days prior to our date which was very helpful. We also utilized their projector for a picture slideshow during the father-daughter and mother-son dance and it worked out beautifully. Jerry was there to help us test our slideshow and laptop a few days prior to the wedding to ensure all was working properly. We also received an engraved brick outside Soldiers & Sailors for our wedding which is such a neat personal touch. Our wedding day was so beautiful and special and we cannot thank everyone to Soldiers & Sailors enough for making our day so perfect! Soldiers & Sailor is a great venue to have a wedding reception and I would recommend this venue to anyone looking for a unique space for their special day!

Profile Picture Kristin, 4/25/15, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We absolutely loved Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall and Museum as the setting for our wedding. We're both Pitt grads and loved the location right on campus, and the ballroom, auditorium, and patio are all breathtaking event spaces. We had both of our ceremonies (2 culture wedding) and our reception here. We planned on having the ceremonies outside but had to move them inside at the last minute. Amber who is the event coordinator was fabulous and very flexible, and she took care of everything even with the last minute change. Plus, the auditorium was the "rain backup plan", and it is a gorgeous space and worked great. The venue itself is really beautiful and it's a bonus to know that having your event there helps to fund the museum and it's purpose to honor veterans. Amber and all of the staff we worked with and encountered were all friendly and helpful, and Amber was really great about answering all my questions in those last crazy weeks before the wedding day! I'd definitely recommend this venue, especially for anyone looking to do everything in one place, or with a big reception!

Profile Picture Megan, 8/31/14, 12 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Soldiers and Sailors is an amazing venue. The grand ballroom on the third floor is huge, gorgeous, and the perfect place for a reception. Amber, the coordinator, is awesome to work with, on the ball, pays attention to every detail, and responds quickly to all contact. The vendors they suggest we work with were awesome, and the staff day of event were great. The bartenders even gave special attention to the parents, so they never had to wait for a drink. Overall it was the most perfect place ever for a reception!

Profile Picture Heather, 6/7/14, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We absolutely loved having our wedding at Soldiers & Sailors and were very pleased with how everything turned out! Marjorie, Amber, and the rest of the staff were amazing to work with. From the moment we booked the venue up until the day before the wedding they were always so accommodating with every email and phone call. Amber was extremely helpful and really made sure that everything ran smoothly for us. We emailed back and forth a lot towards the end and she was always so nice and willing to go over whatever I needed. We were honored to have our reception in a building with so much history and love how the space looks in our photos. I would definitely recommend Soldiers and Sailors for a wedding reception, the whole experience was great!

Profile Picture Elizabeth, 7/6/13, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Overall, we had a great experience with this vendor. The wedding coordinators are very helpful and kind. We didn't deal with them too much for the details. The caterer, florist, etc. were the main people setting everything up in the hall. We were responsible for setting up and taking things out of the hall; however, we had our florist do a lot for us. The venue itself is beautiful and the price is very reasonable. We had almost 300 people at our wedding, and the venue was perfect. It also has a beautiful balcony level overlooking the bottom ballroom.

Profile Picture Christa, 6/15/13, 11 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Soldiers & Sailors is by far one of the most beautiful landmarks in Pittsburgh. To be able to have our wedding there was a dream come true. Details: You pay for the rental of the space, you pay them for the bar, and then you have to choose from their list of caterers (there are 4 to choose from) This ended up being okay, because their caterers offer a nice range of budgets to choose from. We went with The Chef and I Catering who were AWESOME (they were the "value" caterer; but you wouldn't have known it by how great they were). You also have to use their preferred vendors for linens, lighting, chairs etc. (the caterer can also provide linens for a much more affordable price) We had to rebook our date and we did find that some things that we had agreed to on our first date "changed" once we rebooked. Bummer, but somewhat expected in the wedding business. My biggest complaint about the venue was the slowness in responses. We understood that they aren't exclusively a wedding venue (museum, concert venue, much more); and due to this, they probably don't work normal business days/hours... however it would take multiple days at a time to get simple answers for things. The caterer ended up being much more helpful in answering a lot of our questions. Some of the issues with changes and responsiveness left a bad taste in our mouth, however when push came to shove... this venue is beyond words in terms of beauty. We wanted a place that was reminiscent of the 20s and 30s; a backdrop that needed simple/elegant decor; a place that felt like you were stepping back in time. This is THE place. It was STUNNING. As one guest put it "I feel like I'm on the Titanic" (a good thing!) The days before the wedding, the SS team stepped up and we turned it out. They also were flexible on a few points and were extremely kind. The day of the wedding was perfection, which is what matters in the end!

Profile Picture Nicole, 4/12/13, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The ballroom at Soldiers and Sailors, in Oakland, isn't necessarily one of the first venues people think of when planning a wedding, and that makes it a truly hidden gem. This space is perfect for a wedding reception, and the people who work there are phenomenal. Marjorie is in charge, and she's one of nicest people I've ever encountered. The whole team is so sweet and accommodating. Throughout the whole process they answered as many questions as we could throw at them and helped us determine the best way to coordinate all the pieces of our reception. The room is great because the whole floor is a dance floor, so you can arrange it like you want it. They have equipment for slideshows. If the weather is nice, you can have your cocktail hour outside. I would definitely recommend this space for a wedding reception.

Profile Picture Lauren, 10/8/11, 7 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My wife and I loved our wedding at Soldiers and Sailors. It was top notch, the staff was fantastic, and we'd recommend them to anyone looking for a beautiful, well coordinated event.

Profile Picture Christian, 8/20/11, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Love Marjorie!!! I loved our venue gorgeous. We had our ceremony and receptions there.

Profile Picture Kerri, 7/3/11, 5 Reviews