Poplar Springs Inn Reviews

1 User photo

Poplar Springs Inn 1

Anita Morgan · Getting married on 03/21/2020

Beautiful venue

The history and character is amazing. Its relaxing and an unforgettable experience.

Sent on 06/29/2019

Andee · Married on 09/17/2017

This place is a bride's dream!
    Everything under one roof, as well as beautiful scenery, and great staff. Lizzy was so helpful. I highly recommend this place to any bride looking for a venue with all the bells and whistles AND stress free since it's all there for you.

Sent on 03/22/2017

Rebecca · Married on 08/12/2017

Updated review -> ->

My husband and I were married at Poplar Springs a little over a month ago, and our wedding and reception were perfect! Not one ounce of stress before the wedding, during the wedding or after, because I knew that Ellen and her team were on top of every last detail! My bridesmaids and I were able to get ready with the makeup artist and hair stylist in the Bridal Suite and just enjoy ourselves with snacks and wine! Our evening, outdoor ceremony on the stone staircase was gorgeous! No exaggeration. Our cocktail hour and reception that followed were just as we envisioned – fun, relaxing and a time to visit with our guests! Our guests raved about the hors d’oeuvres and dinner – and of course the wedding cake and chocolate ramekin! My God, Chef Maggie is amazing! Some of our guests actually asked for two pieces of cake! (We should have seen that coming!) Once our reception ended, my husband and I were able to enjoy our honeymoon night in one of the beautiful suites at the Inn on-site and fly out to Hawaii the next day! Many of our guests also stayed at the Inn - all of them commented how great their rooms were and that all of the staff were kind, accommodating and professional.

Our wedding day will be cherished! We can’t wait to visit Poplar Springs for date nights or upcoming anniversary weekends (hint hint to the hubby!) I would absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, recommend Poplar Springs as a wedding and/or reception venue (or even a romantic dinner at the Manor House Restaurant)! Thank you, Ellen, Neasia, and team for being so wonderful!

Sent on 04/28/2017

Jessica · Married on 06/03/2017

Everyone at Poplar Springs Inn and Manor House Restaurant was amazing - so kind, helpful, and sweet! We had just gotten married and they did everything in their power to make sure that things went off without a hitch. The food was delicious too. I love this place!

Sent on 11/09/2017

Emmie · Married on 05/28/2017

Poplar Springs was a beautiful venue that my wife and I chose for our wedding weekend. It was spacious enough and a perfect setting for our guests and family. We were able to stay on-site at the Inn and use the pool the night before. All in all a great time and the staff helped every part of the way.

Sent on 06/26/2017

Rick · Married on 04/20/2017

Ellen Christie did an outstanding job planning our Rehearsal Dinner for our son's wedding this past April. Chef Woody and the Poplar Springs Inn Manor House Restaurant kitchen and wait staff prepared and served an exceptional dinner. The Manor House Restaurant Randolph Room and Sun Porch provided the ideal intimate atmosphere that my wife and I were looking for to commemorate this important occasion. Thinking through all the details of an important event makes the difference in execution, and with Ellen's expert help we planned and delivered a memorable evening in every way. I thank Ellen and the entire poplar Inn and Spa staff for their professionalism, attention to every detail, and flexibility successfully adjusting to special requests and realities of real time execution. Very well done indeed! My wife and I look forward to our next opportunity to host a special event at Poplar Springs.

Sent on 05/03/2017

Ashley · Married on 10/15/2016

My husband and I had a wonderful experience planning the wedding all the way to the ceremony and reception. Ellen made everything so easy and helped so much! The owners are wonderful people and we highly recomend getting married here! We would do it all over again!

Sent on 10/20/2016

Melanie · Married on 05/29/2016

My husband and I visited about 15 different wedding venues in the DMV (DC/MD/VA) area and just fell in love with Poplar Springs as soon as we drove up the driveway.

There were just a few requirements on our list: 1) we wanted a venue that wasn't a hotel; 2) we wanted to be the only event on-site for that day; 3) we wanted to give our guests an intimate and personal experience; 4) we wanted the venue to be unique; 5) we wanted a rain option for the ceremony; and 6) we wanted a venue coordinator that was easy to work with and flexible. Poplar Springs is the ONLY venue in the DMV area that fit all of our requirements. The venue and grounds are absolutely GORGEOUS...the stone building, the white tent, the tall trees and the lake just paints a beautiful picture for your wedding. The staff is just plain wonderful to work with - from the Director of Sales/Marketing to the support/wait staff - each person did their job and did it exceptionally.

Ellen Christie worked with us from day one and helped make our dream wedding become a reality. She was attentive to our wishes, very accommodating and agreed to all of our requests (except for fireworks but ONLY because it is against county law!!). Ellen knows weddings and knows how to make it the most special day for the couple. She is a pleasure to work with! We also had our wedding cake made by Chef Maggie at Poplar Springs. We gave her a picture of the cake we wanted and she did a superb job replicating. And....(drum roll)......the cake TASTED GREAT! Not only was our cake beautiful but our guests actually enjoyed eating it!

My husband and I reflect back on our wedding day and neither one of us would change a thing about it - which says a lot! We can't wait to visit on our 1-year anniversary!!

Sent on 01/13/2017

Kerry · Married on 05/21/2016

We were married at Poplar Springs Inn last spring. We chose the location because we could have a destination wedding close to home! We had all events at the Inn and our guests stayed there for the weekend! The guest rooms were beautiful and comfortable. All guests were welcomed and provided a snack tray in their room. Most of our guests also took advantage of the spa services too! As far as the venue itself, we knew it was very important to have a back-up plan for bad weather. So glad we did as it was quite cold and rainy! Poplar Springs has truly beautiful space both outside and in. We were married on the patio area. They also have amazing food and have a pastry chef on staff that made our beautiful wedding cake. Our food was somewhat challenging because I have significant food allergies and they bent over backward to accommodate. We had an amazing array of unique and creative stations. Everyone loved the food! Although we had our own wedding planner, we worked through their coordinator as well. The venue and hotel were able to really make the fine details come to life. Everyone raved about the weekend and most of all, we were able to relax at a comfortable and beautiful place so we could spend our time soaking up all the love, joy and happiness that surrounded us. I would highly recommend the venue and inn!

Sent on 03/20/2017

My wedding at Poplar Springs was incredible. Every detail was executed to perfection. The setting is the most elegant in all of Northern Virginia. The grounds are so rich in history and truly timeless. One of my married friends is actually planning on redoing her wedding photos at Poplar Springs. It is that stunning. My guests are still raving about food. My husband is from Afghanistan and the chef actually researched and did trials with us so that he could learn to prepare Afghan dishes for his family. We also had the most perfect filet mignon and an amazing farm to table salad. An employee even gave my husband and I a last minute dance lesson before our first dance! Every need was met before I even realized there was a need! My only regret from my wedding is I chose to have an outside vendor do my cake. Poplar Springs has an incredible pastry chef and after seeing her creations on Facebook, I regretted not having her make my cake. Go there for dinner and order a dessert, you'll see what I mean! The day of my wedding I did a Bridal Package at Poplar Springs as well. Their spa is worth the booking in itself! To be able to be pampered all day and still be at my venue for last minute decisions was too perfect. It truly could not have been better. I give Poplar Spring infinite stars and recommend to everyone bride I know!

Sent on 10/21/2016
  • I

Ingrid · Married on 04/02/2016

Look for a place that cares about you and your experience more than they care about the bottom line. This was that place, with an ideal setting, top quality service, and amazing food. Our guests are still talking about our wedding and say it was unforgettable.

Sent on 10/24/2016

Johanna · Married on 12/13/2015

Ellen and Poplar Springs where a joy to work with! I have loved the venue for years, and the food is amazing. It was important to us as a couple that the venue had charm on its own, rather than being a box with 4 walls. And Poplar Springs hits on all cylinders. The property is beautiful and perfectly secluded from the hustle and bustle of NOVA just a few miles away. A hideaway close to home.

We loved that with our small wedding, we were able to find a venue that could house the ceremony, reception and overnight rooms. And since it was a December wedding, we wanted indoor spaces for both the ceremony and reception. The Inn is charming. Rooms are spacious and elegant. The lobby is a great, relaxed area where we could meet our guests as they arrived to check in and also enjoy some breakfast together in the morning.

The Manor House is just teeming with the character and charm of a turn of the century building. The Carriage House served as our ceremony location and it was perfect for our size. The reception area in the Casanova lounge and the main portion of the Manor House where beautifully decorated in holiday decor and worked into the general winter theme I had created.

The food was excellent, servers polite and helpful. The chefs went out of their way to create a wonderful menu for us, creative station-style dinner. I had several people saying it was great food, or the best they have ever had at a wedding. And that was important to my husband and I.

Ellen was excellent to work with. Simply said, she knows her stuff, makes things happen and stays calm and collected at all times. She has wealth of experience and it shows. You feel calm in her presence because you know it will all be perfect. Thank you!

Sent on 01/07/2016

Chrystal · Married on 10/10/2015

Poplar Springs is not only a gorgeous location to have a wedding but it also has amazing customer service. Ellen is very helpful and looks to put you and your spouse first! The food is phenomenal, the staff is pleasant and the atmosphere is truely romantic! Honestly, it made our day all that much more memorable.

Sent on 10/03/2016

Annita · Married on 10/10/2015

The Poplar was amazing to work with! All of our needs were met and our expectations were far surpassed. I would recommend the Poplar Inn for a rehearsal dinner or for a full wedding venue (or both!). We blocked rooms for our guests as well and they loved their stay.

Sent on 10/30/2016

Danielle · Married on 10/03/2015

This venue was the perfect place to have our wedding, its gorgeous grounds and so romantic but most of all the people you'll work with throughout your planning process and the big day make all the difference in the world! Highly recommend!

Sent on 10/24/2016

Cathryn · Married on 09/13/2015

Best advice from the mother of the bride: schedule your wedding on a Sunday so that you can enjoy the privacy of the entire Poplar Springs experience - the outdoor grounds, the mansion, dining room, bar, and the wedding tent. Spend time with Ellen describing your wedding vision and she will make it happen! Staff placed our daughter's chandelier in the perfect outside tree and it was magical. Also, Poplar Springs is so beautiful you won't need to stress about decorating. We described it as "Downton Abbey" goes to the country manor! At the last minute we added rose petals for the ceremony and staff were gracious and accommodating. The food was delicious and the chef was flexible. Plan on staying at the Poplar Springs Inn with family and friends for a wonderful extension of the wedding night, and into the next morning. Ellen, thank you so much - everything was absolutely beautiful and stress-free!

Sent on 09/23/2016

Nina · Married on 09/12/2015

I really couldn't be happier. Even over a year later, I still rave about Poplar Springs to anyone willing to listen! Ellen and her team were absolutely amazing and helpful and answered every nit-picky little question I threw at them. Even the day before my wedding in the middle of my rehearsal dinner I realized that we hadn't prepared a vegan dessert for a couple of my guests and Ellen responded immediately and remedied the situation for the next day. The venue is stunningly beautiful, the accommodations and the spa are heavenly and the food is DIVINE. Everyone says you'll never remember the food on your wedding day, but I still think about it and can't wait to go back! The only thing that would have made my big day better would be if it hadn't rained, but they even handled the relocation of the ceremony and everything perfectly. Ellen put me in touch with the best florist Shelley and really went above and beyond with helping me put together my wedding. Our wedding cake was beautiful and actually tasted surprisingly great a year later! I could go on for days about how much I love this place...

Sent on 10/19/2016

My husband and I were just wed at the Inn on July 1st and it was everything I dreamed and more. We had a very small, intimate wedding with just 10 attendees (including us). The Inn was very flexible and allowed us to use the back patio of the Manor for our ceremony and for a private dinner at the Manor following the ceremony. Everything was gorgeous and I cannot speak kindly enough about every employee that helped make our day special. We are so happy we came across this venue and we cannot wait to celebrate future anniversaries at the site.

Sent on 07/17/2015

Patti · Married on 10/06/2014

Give Poplar Springs serious consideration. The staff is wonderful and will do everything in their power to ensure that your special day is a fantastic memory. Everything about our wedding there was amazing! The setting is gorgeous, food delicious and accommodations beautiful. We almost felt like royalty because of the incredible way they treated us!

Sent on 10/06/2016

Lindsey · Married on 10/09/2016

Our wedding at Poplar Springs was simply fantastic. It is a beautiful venue, almost looks like it came out of a story book. The service and food was AMAZING. The event coordinator Lizzy was nice and super flexible, she was accommodating and met my every request. Poplar Springs is a bit pricey but totally worth it for the location, food and service.

Sent on 11/21/2016

Kerry · Married on 10/25/2015

Casanova was my chidhood home and I had always planned my wedding somewhere, if not at my home, near here. I grew up wandering around all of the land around Casanova even Poplar Springs before it was owned and operated as an Inn. Choosing Poplar Springs for my reception dinner was the perfect ending to my vintage wedding. We did not do a traditional sit down and eat and Ellen could not have been more accommodating to my vision. We chose from an extensively delicious in season list of hors d'oeuvres to be passed around a cocktail setting outside under the tent. Everything served was perfection, they have a fantastic chef on staff. As the night grew chillier we had one of the bonfires lit, a huge hit with a smore's bar, and they brought out 3 tall heaters that did not clash with our decorations. The main house is beautiful and the grounds breathtaking I would recommend this setting to anyone and say it is worth every penny. Be sure to try to assign one waiter/waitress to the bride and groom themselves, we did not get enough food that night but it was till a perfect evening. Thank you Poplar Springs, I hope to see you for an anniversary!

Sent on 09/20/2016

Cady · Married on 10/26/2019

Beautiful and PRIVATE!

This place is gorgeous, the pictures do NOT do it justice! It's very quiet as well. If you block off the rooms at the inn you get the entire venue to yourself! The people there are also SUPER friendly and knowledgeable. When we met with Laura she was able to give some really good ideas. Also, the woman at the Inn was VERY friendly and very accommodating. We're both EXTREMELY excited for our big day!

Also, they're building a new structure behind the main house to add additional space for a reception AND they're making the pool heated. Both are proposed to be done soon within 2019 (and we'll get to utilize BOTH for our date [October 2019])

Sent on 12/07/2018

Kate · Married on 07/22/2017

This venue is absolutely beautiful. It is the epitome of Virginian elegance, and also, I feel, not an overused venue. The historic quality of the property in unmatched. It's very unique. They have planted vines, but this venue is definitely several steps above a winery in my mind. It is charming and classic, and full of character and beauty - any time of the year, I would imagine, though our event was in the summertime. Ellen was our point of contact, and she was extremely responsive, helpful and flexible. She was pleasant and easy to work with. The property was very open to our ideas and helped us to achieve the look and feel that we desired for our wedding.

The food prepared by The Manor House Restaurant was excellent- it is now one of our favorite go-to restaurants for a nice evening out (not only ours, but our parents and married siblings as well). The Inn was clean, comfortable and quiet - we had a pleasant stay. As far as planning an event here, it would be helpful if you are a detail-oriented person, proactive, or if you have a planner working with you. Overall, we would absolutely recommend this venue and we feel that it is a beautiful backdrop for an event - especially a wedding.

Sent on 08/11/2017

Anna · Married on 04/22/2017

The Carriage House at Poplar Springs was the perfect venue for our wedding. Lizzy, the event coordinator was excellent, and a joy to work with! The staff were all very helpful and accommodating. It rained the whole day which was a bummer, but the property, buildings and décor at Poplar Springs are so beautiful that it didn't matter! We got amazing pictures that captured our special day, despite the gloomy weather! We would absolutely recommend this venue for any event, large or small!

Sent on 04/26/2017

Regan · Married on 10/07/2017

3.5

My husband and I got married in October. Our wedding was more than perfect! Neasia was our wedding coordinator and she made sure all the details were finalized, I mean things that I didn’t even think to remember. She wasn’t our wedding coordinator to begin with, I was a tad stressed out but she never skipped an beat. The food was to die for everyone kept on talking about how delicious the steak was. You can tell the chef really has a creative craft. The service staff was very young and always looked unaware of what was going on but my husband noticed that every time Neasia told them to do something they were on it right away. With a beautiful venue and great food I would think the staff would be a little more attentive and mature. A few of my guest were very disappointed with breakfast at the Inn and the service over there as well. I couldn’t imagine that the same chef from our wedding would prepare that breakfast at the Inn. My room was beautiful but when I went into my mother in laws room it seemed like a motel room. Besides the upkept at the Inn, I would definitely recommend every bride to choose Poplar Springs as their venue to get married. Neasia’s quick follow up and professionalism is what every couple needs!!

Poplar Springs Inn 2