Murray Hill Reviews

Murray Hill 4
Murray Hill 5
Murray Hill 6
Murray Hill 7

We held our wedding ceremony and reception at Murray Hill and it was just amazing! Peggy and her husband were very accommodating and wonderful to work with. The venue is just breathtaking and all the guests were in awe of how gorgeous everything turned out. We even got to see a bald eagle flying around just before the ceremony. The views are spectacular. Highly recommend!

Sent on 09/11/2015

Cate · Married on 06/06/2015

I had my wedding at Murray Hill on June 6. Every single aspect of Murray Hill was amazing.

Start with an unbelievably beautiful location with multiple areas to hold parts of the event. Want to exchange your vows on a cliff overlooking the Potomac River? No problem! Cocktails in the garden or by the pool? Why not? Dinner and dancing under twinkly lights in a beautifully restored barn. Go for it!

Then add in how flexible and accommodating the owners, Peggy and John Rust, are. Although Murray Hill is their private home, we were able to come to Murray Hill countless times in the year leading up to the wedding. The Rusts also let you bring supplies/decorations and set up days before the wedding and break down the

Sent on 06/24/2015

Amy · Married on 04/25/2015

We feel so incredibly lucky to have found Murray Hill. The property is gorgeous and it is a home, not a wedding mill. Peggy and John were very helpful --- they allowed us to show up (to their home) repeatedly leading up to the wedding and start decorating days before the wedding. They even helped us find a last-minute vendor. The day-of, their property was immaculate for our guests. Peggy even carried my train as I left the house to walk down the aisle. I can't imagine a better venue.

Sent on 04/30/2015

Katherine · Married on 11/01/2014

Murray Hill is a lovely, lovely venue! I can't say enough about how beautiful it is. My husband and I married there this fall and the leaves were bursting with color. If you are looking for a beautiful venue that you can make your own, this is your place. John and Peggy, the owners of the property were absolutely lovely! We can't recommended this property and working with John and Peggy enough!

Sent on 11/06/2014

Kyle · Married on 09/13/2014

The place was beautiful and Peggy was a delight to work with. All our guests raved about the venue's charm! We couldn't have selected a better place to get married.

Sent on 01/08/2015

Jennifer · Married on 10/13/2013

Peggy was amazing and the site is beautiful! This wonderful long driveway up to a beautiful stone mansion! I got married and had my reception in the barn and the amount of work Peggy and her team put in was amazing. It rained for an entire week before wedding day and everything was very muddy but they put down stuff to soak up the water so cars could get in and maintained it. I am so thankful to you Peggy and your husband for all the hard work you guys did to make my big day special! Thank you!!!

Sent on 11/03/2013

Murray Hill was phenomenal. All my guests were so impressed with the venue! And Peggy and John Rust are wonderful to work with!

Sent on 10/15/2013

Maddison · Married on 05/18/2013

Murray Hill provided the perfect backdrop for the wedding we envisioned: a big Italian dinner party in the Virginia countryside. Not only are the views over the Potomac just gorgeous, but so is the house, the barn, the gardens, the pool, the flowers....The Rusts have done an immaculate job at making their estate one of the most beautiful wedding venues around. Not only was Murray Hill the perfect venue to have our wedding, but the Rusts were really great to work with and made sure that we had no unanswered questions or concerns during the planning process. We chose to have our wedding ceremony on the lawn outside the house, a cocktail hour in the gardens near the pool and then parade to the barn for dinner and dancing. Our guests just loved the progression place to place and enjoyed seeing all of Murray Hill's wonderful property. Really, Murray Hill is the perfect place to have an elegant outdoor wedding with lots of charm. Thank you Rust family for providing such a lovely place for us to host our wedding!

Sent on 07/17/2013

Eleanor · Married on 05/04/2013

This is a private estate which is open for weddings on the weekend. It was honestly a pleasure to work with the owners. They were excited about the wedding and wanted to make sure their house and property worked for the event. The were flexible and very accommodating. They even moved horses into a nearby field because I wanted there to be some pictures of them. They were there whenever we went buy to view the estate prior to the wedding and they were very helpful. They also provided recommendations based off of past experiences with all their numerous weddings. All of my vendors also loved working with them because they are so flexible and helpful. I am really glad that we found this gem. Their website does not give them justice. I would see the place in person.

Sent on 06/01/2013

margaret · Married on 09/08/2012

This is an unbelievably beautiful venue. My daughter wanted to have a barn wedding and this was the perfect choice. I cannot recommend it enough. The owners were delightful and very easy to work with, jumping in to help wherever they thought it was needed. Between the backyard overlooking the Potomac River, the barn, the pool and the rest of the beautiful property you will not find a better place. I can hardly wait to see the pictures taken at this lovely spot.

Sent on 09/15/2012

Sofia · Married on 05/05/2012

Our wedding reception was the first event in Murray Hill's barn and it was BEAUTIFUL. Our guests are still talking about how lovely the setting was. We only had 40 people (you could easily fit more) but the space felt like just the right size -- a testament to Peggy's decorating expertise. And, the fenced field next to the barn's open wall was perfect for the kids to run around in. Peggy also is extremely pleasant to work with. We appreciate all that she did and I would not hesitate to recommend her -- and Murray Hill -- to any bride.

Sent on 05/23/2012

Jessica · Married on 10/02/2010

The venue was absolutely beautiful and full of charm! It was a pleasure working with Peggy. She was very helpful and accommodating. We couldn't have selected a better place to get married!

Sent on 01/08/2015

Sarah · Married on 10/03/2015

Having grown up in Leesburg, Va., I had never heard of Murray Hill until I began planning for my 10/3/15 wedding. And I am so unbelievably happy that we found it! It is a private residence, owned by Peggy and John Rust, and I’m still floored by how welcoming they were to have our families and guests at their home. Murray Hill is everything you’d ever imagine for a romantic, historic, natural Virginia wedding. Though we had planned to have the ceremony outdoors overlooking the Potomac River (terrible rain forced the ceremony to be held where our reception was), the barn turned out to be the perfect back up plan. The atmosphere was intimate and cozy and, as one of my guests said, “the envy of any girl on Pinterest”! The real test was the weather! Even with all of the rain leading up to our wedding, we had no problems. The barn proved to stay completely weather proof and our 90 guests were dry and happy! I definitely recommend Murray Hill for a wedding venue, working with Peggy and John was easy and enjoyable, and Murray Hill’s beautiful setting is absolutely unforgettable!

Sent on 11/03/2015

Murray Hill is a beautiful venue and I am so glad that we selected it for my daughter's May 2015 wedding. The owners are truly gracious people; it is their home and I believe they take such satisfaction from all the happy events that happen there. Things that are truly great and unique about this venue - A ceremony site on a bluff overlooking the Potomac River, in the shade of towering oaks (there are other good sites, too - but the bluff...so dramatic and beautiful). A roomy converted llama barn, open to an expansive lawn, allowing for the perfect blend of dancing formality, and backyard casual for the reception (think father-daughter dance with a backdrop of corn hole and giant jenga). So many sites on the property for beautiful photographs - gardens, the bluff, the historic home, a pool. My daughter's wedding was absolutely a dream there. There are only a couple cautions I'd have - the property is relatively 'undeveloped' - it's beautiful and natural, but your guests will need to walk unpaved pathways or you will need to arrange to shuttle them between ceremony and reception barn, and the barn is not climate-controlled - so if it's hot outside...you'll have a warm reception! Finally - you'll need to coordinate to rent all the furnishings (tables, chairs), etc. as this venue does not have them. This is also a plus though - you can choose any kind of chairs and tables you want! Get a really good coordinator to handle the details, and enjoy your dream wedding at this beautiful, unique, treasure of a place. Also - wanted to make sure that folks know there are now bathrooms in the barn! (an earlier reviewer had commented that there weren't, but the bathrooms were installed in the spring 2015!)

Sent on 07/11/2015

Taylor · Married on 09/14/2013

We loved Murray Hill. We were married on the bluff next to the beautiful stone house on the Potomac. We had cocktail hour in the gorgeous, understated gardens before heading to the barn for the reception. We have had so many people tell us that the venue was "amazing," "stunning," "a vision," and "perfect." Everyone loved the view of the Potomac, the gorgeous pool in the garden, and the open barn. We loved that we were able to incorporate three diverse locations into one great evening.

Peggy and John were incredibly accommodating. The wedding planning experience was pretty hectic, and it made such a difference that we were able to come out to the site a few times to plan, come out early to decorate, come back the next day to clean up, etc. All of the other venues we considered wouldn't allow us to start decorating until the morning of, and we would have had to tear down immediately afterward. My parents, husband, and I really appreciated the opportunity to fully enjoy the day!

It was a wonderful wedding at a stunning venue!

Sent on 10/14/2013

Monique · Married on 06/08/2013

Murray Hill is a beautiful site for a wedding or any event overlooking the Potomac River. Working with Peggy and John at Murray Hill was wonderful. They were very responsive to questions and willing to work with us. The site has many options for the wedding and reception. We had the ceremony overlooking the river next to the house and the reception in the barn. The site is so beautiful that we did not need decorations for the ceremony site only chairs for guests to sit. Similar the barn setting was very natural and required few decorations. I would highly recommend Murray Hill and Peggy for a perfect wedding location.

Sent on 06/25/2013

I highly recommend Murray Hill, particularly for a bride that wants a beautiful, unique outdoor wedding with a rustic theme. Peggy the owner was very easy to work with, responsive and offered a lot of great advice for recommended vendors. She offers an elegent bridal room to get ready in which provides a lot of nice "getting ready" pictures. Her husband was also very nice and drove us away in their vintage car after the reception which made for a great send off moment. The barn is great for the reception and is very spacious, which is great for mingling and dancing. One area for improvement would be the bathroom situation; there is no bathroom at the barn; however Peggy worked with us and other brides for the season to work out an arrangement with a trailer restroom service where we split the cost. I would just say it would be nice to include this price in the venue as I think a venue should offer bathrooms included, but that's just my take on it.

Sent on 11/02/2014

Pam · Married on 10/30/2010

Murray Hill is a gorgeous location! Open spaces, an elegant stone home and beautiful views overlooking the Potomac River. Peggy and John were great to work with and we thoroughly enjoyed getting to know both of them. Peggy was so helpful and welcomed us to her home graciously.

Peggy also did all the flower arrangements and staged the flowers and many of the decorations. It was a stunning display! Murray Hill is a wonderful venue for your wedding or special event. You will not be disappointed!!

Sent on 12/01/2010

Erin · Married on 05/10/2014

I recently had my wedding at Murray Hill, and let me say, after doing a LOT of shopping for venue a year prior, this one completely took the cake with how beautiful it is for a spring/summer wedding. Though it ended up raining on my big day and we had to move the ceremony inside (instead of near the beautiful view of the Potomac river...such a bummer!), we got some absolutely stunning pictures of the bridal party and my groom and I later when it cleared up a bit. There are beautiful gardens as well to have your cocktail hour in, and the barn is perfect for anyone looking for sort of a pintrest-y place to have your wedding. Peggy and John, the owners at Murray Hill, were wonderful throughout the planning process, and were always responsive to emails and questions. They were happy to offer advice on vendors and planning tips, and also were happy to offer anything around the house/farm I wanted to use for my wedding (like two big beautiful wine barrels to mark the ends of my aisle!). Essentially, the only reason they are not a perfect score is that for value, because most things aren't included (restrooms, tables, chairs, etc..) things end up adding up quick. They do throw in a bonus though of having John drive you away in a 1954 Cadillac limousine, however, which was pretty fantastic. Overall, a GREAT place to have your wedding, so definitely go visit!

Sent on 06/23/2014

Katie · Married on 10/27/2018

Stunning venue

Murray Hill is the perfect venue. Ryan and I had such a hard time finding a venue that was local, nature-y, and rustic but with charm. This venue allows so much personalization to make the wedding yours, and Peggy and John are a JOY to work with. They were very accommodating to our needs and made sure we had our dream outdoor ceremony even though it was soggy out and had just rained a ton. Our wedding was the best day of our life and it wouldn't have been as special anywhere else.

Sent on 10/29/2018

Murray Hill is the most beautiful venue I've seen for a wedding. It was definitely my splurge cost wise, and unfortunately we didn't get to use a lot of the venue as it rained the day of our wedding, but even with that turn of bad luck our photos are fantastic, and the owners were wonderfully accommodating to the change in plans. Our "getting ready" photos (which, don't actually get ready there ladies just save it for the dresses) turned out so beautiful with the fantastic décor, and the greenery of the grounds was seriously a dream come true. The barn was the right note of rustic but chic, and even with rain was cozy and just lovely. She even drove my father and I to the barn in her own private car and left the heater running for me while I waited to get out for the ceremony, since the barn is far from the house that we got ready in. This venue is not for the faint of heart. If you are dreaming of a giant ball gown and bejeweled stilettos this probably isn't your venue. You will have to plan it from the ground up from chairs to décor to caterer, but if you are up to the challenge the space will be uniquely yours, and your guests will be amazed at the beauty of it!

Sent on 06/13/2016

Kimberly · Married on 05/23/2015

After months of searching for the perfect wedding venue, another venue recommended Murray Hill to my husband and I. From the moment we pulled up to Murray Hill to meet with the owner, Peggy Rust, we knew we had found our wedding venue. It was everything we had been looking for. Most of the venues in the area captured one aspect or another that we were looking for, but only Murray Hill encompassed everything. The entire property is just lovely. From the beautiful historic house, to the amazing views of the Potomac river, to the gardens by the pool, to the barn. All the landscape options made for amazing wedding photos and really gave us some versatility in our shots. They were also the most reasonably priced, which was a win win. We made use of the entire property and choose to have our ceremony outside next to the house overlooking the river, our cocktail hour in the gardens next to the pool, then our reception in the barn. Peggy and her husband were great to work with. They allowed us to set things up for the wedding a day early, which was a huge help. They also preferred us to take down the Monday following the wedding-which was a blessing to us because it allowed us to spend the rest of the weekend enjoying our family and friends that had come into town for the wedding. And in this day and age where many brides and grooms want to add their own personal touches to their wedding, they were very supportive and open to this. They allowed us to set up our own arbor, incorporate our own decorative elements to the barn, etc. Peggy made it feel more like we were having our wedding at a friend or family members home, rather than just some venue. I would recommend them to anyone.

Sent on 04/19/2016

Timothy · Married on 06/25/2011

3.5

Murray Hill is a gorgeous property over-looking the potomac river. For our wedding we had our cocktail hour at this location and a tent/seating area by the pool. With 160 guests this location was able to easy cater to our needs as a group.

Peggy Rust handled the coordination of the venue, flowers and transportation. She did a fantastic job with all three of the above.

Our only issues were that the original quote ended up being doubled, the flowers were purchased without a contract, and sometimes it felt like we were catering her instead of the other way around. In the end the wedding was perfect and I wouldn't have gone with another vendor. They also provided us free transportation from the church to their property in their decorated cadillac which was perfect!

Thanks!
    -Tim

Sent on 06/28/2011
  • Renee

Renee · Married on 06/02/2018

Murray Hill is a stunning venue that I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a venue that will accommodate and elevate nearly any vision you have for your wedding

I've wanted to have my wedding outside and with a barn-style reception for a long time. While looking through venues, my husband and I struggled to find a place which had all the aesthetic appeal of a real barn, with modern amenities (like bathrooms), flexibility, and without all the mess which comes with a working facility. Murray Hill checked all the boxes and then some.

Keep in mind that this venue is actually private property, and that comes with some specific considerations. Peggy and her husband, the owners of the property, do not store rentals like tables or chairs. They don't provide a venue coordinator, and while we found that they were happy to make suggestions when asked they won't design your event for you. They do make continuous improvements to the property (and it's in much better shape than many "event" barns we visited), but it wasn't built from the ground-up for events.

That being said, we found Peggy and her husband to be incredibly flexible and accommodating, allowing us an incredible amount of freedom throughout the planning process and on the day of our wedding. We had an incredible amount of access to the property for walkthroughs, and when our rentals vendor showed up unannounced for a run-through one afternoon, they took it in stride rather than kicking them out. They allowed us to set up starting several days before the wedding, allowed us to use decor they had on site (e.g. wine barrels and vintage benches) and even moved everything to where it needed to be on our wedding day. We saved a considerable amount of money due to this flexibility and ultimately came in under budget despite "overspending" on our venue.

Sent on 07/18/2018
    Murray Hill 13
    Murray Hill 14
    Murray Hill 15

Alicia · Married on 09/07/2013

Murray Hill is gorgeous. We still hear from guests who can not get over how beautiful and unique the venue was. We got married over looking the Potomac and our cocktail hour was across the way in the garden. Our reception was in the barn and once it was all set up it looked fantastic. It's beyond words how beautiful and perfect Murray Hill was for our wedding. The pictures turned out amazing. And Peggy and John were easy to work with and without them we wouldn't have the wedding we wanted.

Sent on 10/28/2013