Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood Reviews

243 | Thurmont, MD

243 Reviews for Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood

Ellyn Atkinson · Getting married on 12/04/2022

Beautiful venue but Amazing Management

Mountain Memories at Thorpewood is an AMAZING venue—and not just for the sheer beauty of the entire property and its tasteful, woodsy, multiple facilities on site. I initially thought the property was Mountain Memories’ main attraction, but I knew from reviews that the owner and wedding coordinator were wonderful and the weddings ran impeccably smooth. Julie Castleman and Lexi Hartner had been so easy to work with in the year leading up to our initially planned April 2020 wedding. Covid-19 decided for us to that our date HAD to be postponed. As of this writing, we have yet to have our wedding, but we have seen for ourselves what a thoughtful and well run wedding venue Mountain Memories is—they truly go above and beyond to make sure the brides have the most stress- free wedding possible, which has been invaluable when a wedding ended up in the middle of a pandemic. From the moment we had to make a “Plan B,” Julie has kept in touch with us almost weekly, encouraging us to destress on the property or simply answer questions/address issues. We just had a Zoom meeting to give us all possible options to execute “B” and discuss if we needed to go with a “C,” since our first reschedule is still in an iffy time period. All communication and information had been well thought through, positive and reassuring, and they were sincerely flexible with any way we wished to proceed. In the end, we’ve gone with “C” 2021 wedding date; the bottom line is that they want what’s best for their brides. I can’t see other venues being as caring and accommodating as MM. Besides the most beautiful outdoor venue I’ve ever seen, the management is second to none. I will update this review after we have our event, but I’m sure we’ll be yet another very happy bride who is grateful for the wonderful people who helped her have the wedding day of her dreams.

Sent on 06/04/2020

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

THANK YOU!!! I have really enjoyed getting to know you and Kristen!! :) Can't wait for your celebration! Keep in touch as needed.

Aditi Walujkar · Getting married on 01/11/2022

Incredible team out there!

Everything about Mountain Memories is lovely! Julie and her team are extremely friendly and very accommodating. Julie was with us in every step of the way, right from planning, getting us in touch with all the right vendors to all the little things needing attention on the wedding day. The venue is beautiful and elegant surrounded by nature. Go get in touch with them, and you will know exactly what I mean!

Sent on 01/05/2021

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you Aditi! It was great that you and Rishi were able to gather with a few of your close friends and also include your family in India via the internet! We enjoyed meeting you both and helping you plan your beautiful intimate wedding!! It was the best of our Pop-Up Weddings and we thank you and congratulate! Happy New Year and best wishes as you start a new chapter!

Tammy Davidson · Getting married on 07/09/2021

Finally, something that worked like a charm in 2020

As the mother-of-the-bride and a professional business woman, I really enjoyed working with Julie and her staff. She has thought of everything and has answers to questions that may not have even been thought of. And the Pine Cathedral with a flautist, a memory of a lifetime.

Sent on 11/09/2020

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

"....like a charm in 2020"! Thanks for that sediment!! It has been a tough year, but we remained hopeful and engaged with all of our couples! Some great memories, even if celebrations were smaller than expected. Thank you!!!

Jill Routly · Getting married on 06/02/2021

Wonderful & Beautiful day!

I could not have asked for a nicer time sharing my daughter's beautiful day. You made everything seem effortless. Thank you for making Danielle's and Dean's day so wonderful! Love was in the air, and she even got her snow!

Sent on 02/18/2020

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you Jill!! It was a wonderful day with lots of love in the air...and snow!!! :) Congratulations to the whole family!

Jena · Getting married on 05/23/2021

Excellent staff and venue

Very professional and worked well with rescheduling our wedding due to the pandemic.

Sent on 06/01/2020

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thanks Jena!! We can't wait to get you in here!!!! It is a challenging time and we realize that. We are here for you!!

Abigail Maitland · Married on 10/17/2020

Incredible fall wedding- magical woodland fairy tale

What a beautiful day we had for our wedding. My husband and I recently got married earlier this October in the midst of learning to live with the pandemic. Though our number was restricted by the state to 75% it made for a more intimate and cozier night. My vision was based off the shows Outlander and Game of Thrones- the wooded property was perfect for this vision. We hit the prime day for the leaves changing, which made it even more magical. What also stood out to me was the owners love for all the animals that they have saved and the amount of care they give to them. I also really loved how eco-friendly this venue is. Our wedding coordinator, Lexi was the absolute best. She is calm, cool, and collected. She is very friendly and made sure our day went smoothly. She made sure that we were well taken care of, got plenty of food, had a ton of fun, and stayed on schedule. She was by far the best wedding coordinator that I have met. Those in my wedding party who are a part of the industry were so impressed with her courtesy, kindness, and patience that they will be recommending the venue to their clients. I also have to give a shout out to Julie for her kindness and patience. Both Lexi and Julie were quick to respond to emails, allowed us to have a few cuts to some of the extra costs due to the current circumstances, and made amazing recommendations for our other vendors. Overall, ThorpeWood; especially the Pine Cathedral and the Lodge was an absolute dream; truly a wooded fairy tale.

Sent on 10/21/2020

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Congratulations again, Abby and Devin! It was such a pleasure to work with you both, along with your families! Thank you for your kind words. Both Julie and I love what we do and I am so glad you felt your day was all that you dreamed of and more! Despite the crazy times and restrictions in the middle of a pandemic, thank you for trusting us and hanging in there. We are so glad that you have many many happy memories from your beautiful wedding day!

Abigail Einhorn · Married on 09/19/2020

Exceptional Service

We could not be happier with our wedding reception at Thorpewood! Julie and Lexi were incredibly accommodating of our desires and flawlessly executed the reception of our dreams!! The main lodge is stunning, the service is impeccable, Renaissance chef food is delectable, and the atmosphere is wildly romantic. The staff is wonderful and completely set on making your vision come to life, whatever it may be. They even help you pose for photographs on their extensive, beautiful property — Lexi is an expert dress and veil stager!!! If you are considering Thorpewood as a venue, do not hesitate to book!

Sent on 09/23/2020

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Hi Abigail! I was thinking Kexinwould reply, but life is a little busy for her so I am going to say THANK YOU!!! What a wonderful review!! I know your wedding day was just beautiful...and fun!!! Congratulations!!!

Katelynn Daye · Married on 09/06/2020

Weddings made easy

As someone who was overwhelmed with just the idea of planning a wedding, Julie & her team have made this entire experience enjoyable and stress free. The venue itself is beyond beautiful & brought all of my dreams to life. During the current COVID-19 pandemic, they have gone above & beyond to still make my wedding dreams a reality.

Sent on 06/06/2020

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

It was a pleasure working with you over these last several months!! Your Plan B wedding and reception was beautiful!! We can’t wait for your Plan C next year!! Thank you!!!!!

Kate Lynn Evans · Married on 09/06/2020

Amazing & Easy Process

I was terrified to plan a wedding when I first got engaged but from the second that I found this and chose it for our venue it’s been so easy & not stressful at all. During this pandemic I was feeling the weight on my shoulders but Julie helped us tremendously throughout the whole process.

Sent on 09/13/2020

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

It was a pleasure to help you feel relaxed and enjoy the day!! We look forward to seeing you next year for your full celebration. For now, congratulations and thanks!!! :)
  • Laura

Laura Fogle · Married on 07/17/2020

Gorgeous Venue

If I could give Thorpewood 100 stars I would! I cannot express how grateful I am for Julie! She has been my contact person during this very difficult time and has been available whenever I needed her. Overall, Thorpewood has been extremely flexible and willing to help out in ANY way that they can. Julie and Lexi have been especially wonderful to work with, both providing guidance throughout the planning process, working to ensure that I was able to hold my wedding as I had envisioned and willing to make adjustments based upon my requests. Thorpewood is an absolutely beautiful venue and their customer service is top-notch.

Sent on 06/04/2020

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thanks Laura! This means the world to us!! I have learned so much over the past few months and gotten the chance to really get to know our couples! We look forward to your celebration! Keep in touch.

Devynn Mckenzie · Married on 06/20/2020

Amazing, Beautiful, Perfect! You should book!

Mountain Memories at Thorpewood is amazing! It is absolutely beautiful with several different options for ceremony sites indoor and out. They were really communicative as COVID-19 shut everything down and really helpful throughout the entire process. We just had our wedding on 7/11 and Lexi made sure everything went perfectly! Our guests also told us how much they loved it and how great she was! Highly recommend!

Sent on 07/17/2020

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Hi Devynn! Thank you!!! It was a fun wedding with so much creative! We enjoyed helping you create your perfect wedding day!! Congratulations!!
  • Ethan

Ethan Stier · Married on 06/13/2020

Wonderful experience

We fell in love with Thorpewood and planned our wedding for the Summer. The facilities and property are gorgeous and full of natural beauty. We found Julie and her team to be professional and passionate.

Then Covid 19 occurred. Julie worked with us under these trying circumstances to re schedule our wedding. We really appreciated her transparency, compassion. She also contacted our vendors and was able to help keep the same team for the new date.

Sent on 06/02/2020

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Hey Ethan!! So appreciate your pre-wedding review during COVID-19. It is a crazy time and we look forward to helping you in 2021. Thank you!!!!
  • Bailey

Bailey Full · Married on 06/10/2020

The Most Magical Mountain

From the moment we walked into Thorpewood over a year ago to search for our venue - we fell in love with the place immediately. You could feel the magic, love and warmth of the place seconds upon being there. The location and scenery was absolutely breathtaking and we just knew it was going to be the place for us to be married.

What made this place the most wonderful though was the owner Julie, who made our special day as seamless as possible. From any small problem that came up (which there were hardly any) she handled them all effortlessly. We cannot thank her and her amazing staff enough for making the happiest day of our lives so special.

If you are only just thinking about booking Thorpewood for your wedding I would highly encourage you to not give it a second thought - you will not be disappointed and will be SO happy that you made the choice!

Sent on 11/26/2019

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Hi Bailey and Brien! :) Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood!! I so enjoyed meeting all of your family and friends! It was fun learning of mutual friends. :) You two are perfect together and I loved helping you create your dream wedding celebration!! Please keep in touch and come up the mountain if ever in town! Congratulations!!! :)
  • Becky

Becky · Married on 05/09/2020

Most beautiful venue, caring owner, made our day PERFECT!

I can't speak highly enough about Mountain Memories at Thorpewood! I've heard about other venues treating their brides and grooms like numbers during COVID and Julie has treated us like family! When our original ceremony in May had to be moved out, Julie let us spend some time on the grounds on our original wedding date, let us schedule a micro-ceremony during the summer, and we're planning on having our full vow renewal/celebration next year (a year from our original date). During our micro-ceremony, Julie also helped to facilitate our first look, photographer, officiant, family members (some who were surprise guests), and aisle music. She went SO above and beyond and really made an event that I thought couldn't be anything like I had dreamed of (because of the pandemic) absolutely EVERYTHING I could have ever wanted it to be. And the facilities are beyond breathtaking. Every time we've been on the property, it's been gorgeous! Spring is beautiful with flowers everywhere and summer is lush and green. All around, this venue is perfect :)

Sent on 08/10/2020

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you Becky!! It was a great day!! I can’t wait until you are all back and able to celebrate together!! For now, congratulations!!!! Julie 😊

Charles Dinkel · Married on 04/01/2020

A memorable wedding for our granddaughter and invited guests

Perfect setting for a couple who love the outdoors and recently graduated with degrees in the environmental field. Julie and her staff were proficient in seamlessly transforming the venue from a chapel, to an exquisite dining area. A great time was had by all!

Sent on 02/06/2020

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Hi Chuck!! Thanks for taking the time to share some thoughts on Nicole and Joshs wedding!! It was a great way to start off 2020!! 😊👍🏻

Danielle Branham · Married on 01/18/2020

Winter Wedding at Thorpewood

I couldn’t be happier with the staff and atmosphere at our venue. It was the perfect cozy lodge in the middle of the winter. You really can’t beat the natural beauty of the land here no matter what the season. I had the pleasure of working with both Lexi and Julie. They sure know what they are doing to ensure your perfect wedding day. From the day we toured the venue, I knew working with them would be amazing and I was correct. They have an answer to all of your questions and a great process to make sure the day runs smoothly so you don’t have to worry about a thing!

Sent on 02/12/2020

Hi Danielle!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood! It was a pleasure working with you and helping you plan this wonderful day!!! Thank you for choosing us!! Congratulations!!
  • Maili

Maili Godwin · Married on 01/11/2020

Our Bohemian Wedding Dream Venue!

We wanted to get married outside. In January. We knew that was a little crazy, but between the experienced staff and the cozy lodge, ThorpeWood was the perfect venue for it.

The Pine Cathedral looks beautiful in every season, so we knew that it would look great in winter with or without snow. The entire week leading up to our wedding the forecast was calling for heavy rains. While we were not exactly excited about a rainstorm, we didn't have to stress because our backup plan was the adorable pavilion. Either way, we were going to get a beautiful outdoor woodsy ceremony. Julie and all the ThorpeWood staff were so flexible about the forecast. They prepared us for what would happen if the rain came, but they allowed us to wait and see. Somehow we got lucky and the rain held off and we had the most perfect 65-degree day in January. (!!!)

The grounds and the lodge at ThorpeWood are beautiful as is, so we didn't need a lot of decorations. We were able to add just a few personal touches to make it totally us. That was a huge help for our smaller budget.

Julie and her staff were amazing in all the planning leading up to our wedding and on the day of. Everyone went above and beyond to make sure things ran smoothly and we didn't have to worry about a thing. We just got to enjoy our day at this magical place.

Our guests are still talking about how much fun they had on the property. Everyone wants to go back for another party there.

I'm so glad we chose ThorpeWood!

Sent on 03/16/2020

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Hi Maili! I loved your January Bohemian Wedding!! Thank you for this amazing review that I know potential clients will appreciate! Congratulations...don't be a stranger! :)

Jenny Murray · Married on 01/04/2020

Thorpewood is Magical!

My daughter's wedding at Thorpewood was magical! The pine cathedral was the perfect outdoor setting for the ceremony and the lodge was ideal for the cocktail hour and reception. The facilities are so well kept and gorgeous. Julie and her crew are absolutely fantastic! Julie walked us through every question and idea we had then made sure our vision became a reality. We were able to relax and truly enjoy the special day knowing that everything was covered. I wish I could give more than 5 stars!

Sent on 04/18/2019

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Hi Jenny! Bethany and Sam's wedding was so enjoyable! You and Bethany worked hard as a team to plan this day for your friends and family. Thank you so much!! Congratulations on a great day!!!

John E · Married on 11/09/2019

A great day

Can’t say enough about how nice Thorpewood is. Our daughter’s wedding and reception were perfect. Despite an unexpected cold snap, Lexi made sure the outdoor wedding went off without a hitch, and the reception in the lodge was fantastic. Every guest we’ve spoken with since then has talked about what a great time they had. Highly recommend.

Sent on 11/13/2019

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Hello there and thanks for this review!! Somehow he was pushed down and I am just seeing this! So happy the day was perfect, despite the cold snap!! We love having staff who care so much!! All the best and thanks again!! Julie Castleman
  • Erin

Erin · Married on 10/26/2019

Best choice ever

We could not be happier with our choice to having our wedding at Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood. We first toured the facility in January 2018- and even in the cold, gray winter we knew this place would be SO beautiful for our fall wedding, and quickly booked for October 2019. We were right- on our big day, driving up the mountain was breathtaking and our photographer was able to get great photos of us with all the colors. We chose the Pine Cathedral for our ceremony and had our reception in the lodge. In the week leading up to our wedding there was A LOT of rain in the forecast, so we did have a Plan B ceremony at the pavilion, but luckily the weather cleared up literally just in time! Even if it hadn't, everything would have been okay because the pavilion is also a great site. Our wedding was small at just about 70 people, but there was PLENTY of room for more guests. One of the best things about our wedding was our day-of coordinator, Julie. We met with her and a representative from our caterer the month before the wedding to hammer out some details, which was very comforting. Julie has done this A LOT and knowing that she agreed that there weren't any gaping holes in my planning really put my mind at ease for that last month. On the day of the rehearsal, she was totally flexible when I realized my wedding party was arriving earlier than we had agreed on. Her confidence and expertise helped me calm down as she directed everyone to their places and walked us through our entire day. Literally any change or issue we could come up with, she replied with "don't worry, we'll handle that" or something along those lines. I had ZERO last-minute panic because I knew everything would be taken care of. On the Big Day, the same held true. It had rained all morning but her staff was prepared with bench covers for the pine cathedral. They took our decorations that we had dropped off the day before and decorated the place better than we could have ourselves. Julie worked seamlessly with our caterer (Renaissance Chef) and DJ (Shew-sical) to keep the ball rolling and tell my husband and I what to do- because honestly, we were clueless! And the golf cart ride around the property with our photographer got us the most amazing wedding photos I could have asked for. The combination of a beautiful venue and an expert coordinator really can't be beat. I never imagined our wedding would go that smoothly- I thought I would have to handle SOME sort of emergency. Nope. It was an absolutely perfect day at Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood!

Sent on 01/19/2020

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Tears of joy!! Thank you for this amazing and thoughtful review!! It was such a beautiful day and I am so happy you have shared your memories of the days leading up to your celebration, and the day of your wedding!! It was a pleasure assisting you to ensure your day was as perfect as possible....with a little ThorpeWood luck, the rain passed and the day was gorgeous!! I just saw your photos on your FB page and hope we can share some of them!! Just beautiful!! Thank you again....please don't be strangers! Come up and stay at the Cottage sometime...maybe an anniversary!! All the best and thank you again!!

Robert Tormollan · Married on 10/12/2019

Father of Bride

Recently our daughter was married at Thorpewood and I would like to comment on the great job Julie and her staff did from the beginning. They helped us picked from the many different onsite locations for the ceremony. We picked the pine cathedral which was beautiful. I don’t think you can go wrong though because all the locations were equally picturesque. Julie continued to help us pick and coordinate the different vendors right up to the big day where she made sure everything went smoothly. We have be getting comments from family and friends since the wedding on how impressed they all were with the professionalism of her staff and all the vendors she arranged. We can’t wait to see the pictures from the photographer as this place is truly a magical place to hold a wedding. Our entire family will remember Erin’s special day forever. Thank you Julie and all your staff at Thorpewood!!

Sent on 10/28/2019

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you, thank you!! THIS is what we strive for...We are so happy that you are happy Mr. Tormollan!! I loved working with the whole family....it was a true pleasure!!!! See you at Christmas!!! :)
  • Taylor

Taylor · Married on 09/21/2019

Best day ever!

Our wedding day was nothing shy of amazing! Mountain Memories at Thorpewood blew us away from the minute we walked into the door for our tour. My husband was the one who wanted to look at this venue and I am so happy that we did. The venue is stunning and so unique. Our guests LOVED it! Our day ran so smoothly and the staff did such an excellent job at getting us from place to place. They were also extremely accommodating for our handicapped guests. If I could do our day again I would 100% choose Mountain Memories at Thorpewood again and again! It has such a rustic and romantic feel... there isn’t another venue like it. Our day was stunning and everything we could have hoped for! A huge thank you to Julie & her staff for giving us a day we will never forget!

Sent on 11/26/2019

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thanks Taylor and Nathaniel!! It was a wonderful wedding celebration with great family and friends....thank you for choosing Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood! We love helping clients created their dream wedding celebration! Congratulations!!! See ya soon!

Nicolette Oppelt · Married on 09/01/2019

Magical Wedding at Thorpewood

My daughter and son-in-law got married at Thorpewood last Sunday and the whole night was magical! The property is stunningly beautiful and offers many different options for the various events. We chose the Pine Cathedral for the ceremony, had the cocktail hour at the Barn and ended with dinner and dancing at the Lodge. Lots of logistics and they were all flawlessly handled by Julie and her amazing staff! Julie is so experienced and professional, she held our hand not only the day of but throughout the months leading up to it and managed to calm even this nervous mother of the bride down. The various locations each had their own special feel and added so much to the overall experience! The staff was amazing, moved all our decorations and special items from one location to another and had literally everything packed up, organized and ready to go at the end of the night so we didn't even had to worry about that. We had Renaissance Chef cater our event and the way everybody cooperated with each other was remarkable. We cannot recommend Thorpewood and Julie enough; when all was said and done, it felt like we were friends.

Sent on 09/06/2019

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you Nicolette!! I truly loved working with you and Saskia as you planned she and Christian's beautiful wedding!! They are a perfect match...and we are honored to have played a small role in the success of the day!! Congratulations to both families...each are gaining a son or daughter!! See you on the trails...soon!! :)
  • Susie

Susie Blumenthal Herron · Married on 08/18/2019

Perfect from Beginning to End

The venue's setting is so beautiful that it needs little decoration. Julie is experienced and professional - she and her staff made our day run smoothly. The wedding seemed to flow effortlessly because of Julie's skill. Having her in charge made it easy to enjoy the night and celebrate the love of our daughters. Her DJ & caterer recommendations were reliable. Thank you to you Julie , your husband, and your staff!

Sent on 09/08/2019

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you Susie for this wonderful review of Erin and Nina's wedding celebration!! It was a fun day and one I will always cherish. I enjoy both girls, and know they will have a wonderful life together! It was also a pleasure meeting you and many of your family!!