Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2014 Winner
  • WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2013 Winner
  • WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2012 Winner

Aditi W. Married on 01/11/2022

Incredible team out there!

Everything about Mountain Memories is lovely! Julie and her team are extremely friendly and very accommodating. Julie was with us in every step of the way, right from planning, getting us in touch with all the right vendors to all the little things needing attention on the wedding day. The venue is beautiful and elegant surrounded by nature. Go get in touch with them, and you will know exactly what I mean!

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you Aditi! It was great that you and Rishi were able to gather with a few of your close friends and also include your family in India via the internet! We enjoyed meeting you both and helping you plan your beautiful intimate wedding!! It was the best of our Pop-Up Weddings and we thank you and congratulate! Happy New Year and best wishes as you start a new chapter!
  • Emily
    Emily L. Married on 12/11/2021

Wedding Venue

My husband and I only visited one venue, and knew instantly that this was the one. We have absolutely no regrets. Throughout the whole year of wedding planning, Julie was always there to answer our questions and relieve our worries. Despite not having our outdoor wedding in the Pine Cathedral due to rain, Julie made sure the inside Lodge was beautiful and exactly the way we wanted it. This was the perfect venue and had the best Christmas vibes. Everyone, including ourselves, loved it. We would 100% get married here again :)

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Oh, how we love our clients and we are glad it shows...Thanks Emily for your wonderful review! It was a wonderful celebration of your marriage! We look forward to seeing you again on the mountain. Congratulations!!!! :) Julie
    Kylee A. Married on 11/06/2021

Perfection

From inquiring about the venue, looking at it for the first time, signing our contact, postponing a year due to Covid, and then finally having our dream wedding along all things in between, Julie and the rest of the staff at Thorpewood was amazing. They were there for us every step of the way and took so much stress off of us. Their venue is breathtaking and it was just a magical wedding day and experience over all. Highly recommend!

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you Kylee!! We are so happy the day was filled with love of family and friends and memories to hold on to!! Congratulations to you and Paul on your marriage!!!
    Julia V. Married on 10/24/2021

Most amazing venue ever!

If you are looking for a perfectly woodsy venue, or are looking for something rustic that you can add personal touches to- Thorpewood is definitely the place! Not only is the scenery breathtaking, the location is perfect for feeling like you’re “off the map” while still being close to convenient locations such as Frederick and Thurmont. But let’s not get ahead of things- what really made our wedding at Thorpewood AMAZING PERFECT WONDERFUL, was Julie (owner, director, my personal fairy godmother, planner extraordinaire)!!! Julie was there every step of the way. She answered my ridiculously long emails, all my questions within hours it seemed, and was always open to making sure I could execute my vision the way I planned it! Planning was a breeze and a dream. Not only that, but day of, Julie was the day of coordinator, set up all my decor, made sure we were running on time, and made sure the groomsmen were all dressed appropriately with boutonnières in place (lol!) My whole family LOVED Julie and raved about how amazing working with her was! Literally had a PERFECT wedding, with no mishaps, and Julie was the reason why! Don’t hesitate to book your wedding at Thorpewood! You won’t regret it!!!

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

I was so happy to work with you from the very beginning until you walked out newlyweds!! Thank you for trusting Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood (and me) with all of your wonderful details!! I will always remember your beautiful wedding in our awesome barn!! All the best and thank you!!! xo Julie
    Natasha Married on 10/23/2021

Perfect venue for the whole day!

My husband and I knew from our initial visit at Thorpewood that it would be the perfect venue for us. It did not disappoint! The venue is gorgeous and the staff helped make the day go seamlessly. The whole day was absolutely phenomenal and met all of our expectations. We had an amazing time, and so many of our guests commented on how much they loved the venue too!

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

This makes us so happy!! Thank you so much for letting us know that your day was "phenomenal". We try to provide the best possible experience for all of our clients and families!!! Congratulations on your marriage!
  • Lauren
    Lauren B. Married on 10/15/2021

A Truly Stunning Venue

From day one of our meeting, we knew that Julie Castleman was not only capable of managing every aspect of our wedding day, but that she was also sincerely excited to do so. She and her staff genuinely want to help you, and they want to make sure that your wedding day is every bit the way you hoped it would be. Julie is organized, knowledgeable, flexible and incredibly creative. The venue is a dream with a variety of indoor and outdoor ceremony sites, and the grounds are beautifully kept. Another fun bonus is that there is only one wedding per day, which is such a relief - you don't feel rushed or crowded by other events. My husband and I can't recommend this venue enough.

When it comes down to it, your wedding is such a uniquely beautiful moment, and Mountain Memories at Thorpewood fully gets that.

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you for this wonderful review of you beautiful wedding day!! I love when friends and neighbors trust us with their most precious events and memories!! We are so happy for you and Brad!!! See ya soon!!
  • Jackie
    Jackie V. Married on 09/26/2021

The Best Wedding I Could Have Hoped For

Thorpewood is an amazing venue, beautiful beyond words. The pond was a perfect backdrop for our ceremony and all of our guests enjoyed the lodge afterwards. Julie was beyond helpful in organizing everything for us and coordinating with our vendors so the day was stress free! She even packed all of our decorations up at the end of the night. It was the best wedding we could have hoped for.

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Hi Jackie! Thanks for trusting us with your special day!! We loved that you had your wedding at our Pond site...it was a beautiful day!! We loved watching it all unfold....small and intimate with your favorite people all around you and Shane!! Enjoy your honeymoon and please keep in touch!! xo
    Kathleen R. Married on 09/18/2021

Beautiful Venue with First-Class Service

My husband and I are very happy to have went with Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood. Julie's prompt communication is wonderful and her helpfulness in decorating and cleaning up made the wedding day so much less stressful. Nearly all of their preferred vendors that we went with were A+. The rustic beauty of the lodge and the ceremony sites will impress your guests and make for stunning photos. You can't go wrong here!

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Hi Kathleen...thank you for sharing your experience with Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood!! Your wedding was perfect and full of joy, family and friends! As mentioned, I enjoyed meeting your mom and commiserating with her over life! :) We look forward to welcoming you and Brendan back in the future!! Congratulations!! (Julie)
    Tully Married on 08/28/2021

Beautiful Venue, Excellent Staff, 10/10 All Around

We got married at Thorpewood in August and it was a far better experience than we could have hoped for. The venue is beautiful with many ways to make the wedding feel truly yours.

My fiancee and I toured many venues that had so many pre-sets and requirements that made the whole process feel very cookie cutter. We were considering abandoning the idea of a traditional wedding when we decided to check out Thorpewood. We loved it immediately. There are several choices for ceremony and reception sites and all are beautiful. There are options for everything from rustic barn to bohemian forrest wedding.

Julie and her staff are amazing. They were patient and kind and really went out of their way to make sure everything was how we had imagined it.

To top it all off, the venue was way affordable compared to other places in the area, and when it is not being used as a wedding venue, they do amazing work to support non-profits and youth in the community. They are wonderful people with big hearts.

I cannot recommend this place enough.

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you!! This is a wonderful review of your amazing day!! It was truly a pleasure working with both of you over the past year+! Your wedding was joyful and full of friends and family!! Congratulations!! Julie
  • Meaghan
    Meaghan O. Married on 08/15/2021

The perfect day!

We truly could not have asked for a better wedding day! From the moment we set foot on the ThorpeWood grounds for our tour, we knew it was the perfect venue for us. The property is so stunningly beautiful, and we loved how unique it was. We chose the Pine Cathedral as our ceremony site since my husband is from Maine, so it felt like a little piece of home for him despite us getting married in Maryland. My husband and I both love the outdoors and spending time in nature, and we loved that the beauty of the property spoke for itself.

Aside from how amazing the property is, you truly can't find more incredible staff at any other venue. Everyone is absolutely lovely and really cares that you will have the wedding day you've dreamed of, and will go to any length to make sure you're satisfied. My husband and I wanted to donate a tree to the arboretum on the property, and Julie was incredible at working with us to coordinate everything so we could incorporate the tree planting at our wedding.

The entire wedding day, everyone was commenting on how wonderful the staff was and how smoothly everything went. Cara really was so on top of everything, and made sure that my husband and I had as little stress as possible so we could just enjoy our day. We are forever grateful for all her help!

It's impossible to overstate how perfect ThorpeWood is. We had the best wedding day we could ever have asked for, and we will certainly be coming back to visit and reminisce about our wedding!

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Hi Meaghan and Ron! We have loved seeing all the photos that have been shared on FB! It was a beautiful wedding day surrounded with loving family and friends!! Cara is a gem and we will be sure she see's this wonderful review! Yes, we look forward to your visits to "your Magnolia". It will grow big and strong on our property! Thank for that! For now, congratulations on your marriage! We all wish you years and years of happiness!! Thank you your wonderful review!!
    Lacey J. Married on 08/14/2021

So many compliments!!

All I can say is WOW! The venue is stunning and diverse. Our photos ranged from pine trees, to pond, to horses. Julie, helped coordinate everything with ease, thoughtfulness, and professionalism. The way the staff communicates with each other makes for a smooth wedding day. The staff help with finishing the set up and taking everything down after the wedding. Our bridal party left soon after we did, which is amazing! The venue is eco friendly and overall AMAZING! We looked at 10 venues before Thorpewood and immediately fell in love with the lodge, pine Cathedral, and the overall spirit of Thorpewood.

Hi Lacey!
    Thanks so much for this wonderful review! It was such a true pleasure working with you throughout the entire process...a joy!! Thank you for trusting us with your wedding celebration!! See ya soon!
  • Kevin
    Kevin L. Married on 08/06/2021

Outstanding, Gorgeous Venue!

True to form of the pictures on their web site, this venue is fantastic! People, service - knowledgeable and excellent! My guests were gushing about it!
    - Father of the Bride

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you Kevin!! It was a pleasure working with you as you assisted in the planning of your daughters wedding!! Congratulations!!
  • Tish
    Tish W. Married on 08/01/2021

Magical and Unforgettable!

We cannot overstate how wonderful our experience was working with Julie and Lexi at Thorpewood. If we could give 10 stars, we would! We got married at Thorpewood on August 1, 2021. From the first email inquiry we sent to the post-wedding wrap-up everything interaction we had with this venue was absolutely superb. Julie (Owner/Director) and Lexi (Assistant Director) are both consumate professionals and just plain awesome people. They were patient, helpful and flexible throughout the wedding planning process. All communication was clear and timely-both Julie and Lexi were attentive and eager to answer any questions and provide solutions/suggestions during the year we spent planning our celebration. The staff members at Thorpewood are highly organized and experienced, and because of that Thorpewood runs like a well-oiled machine. Lexi took care of all of the details on our wedding day, even shielding me (the bride) from the fact that my husband-to-be had forgotten his shoes anarrived very late for our ceremony. Because of Lexi and the Thorpewood staff, I was relaxed and fully present from the moment I got to the venue until we left at the end of the celebration. They set us up for a truly magical and unforgettable day that was thrilling for us and our guests! With respect to the venue itself, Thorpewood is second-to-none. If you are looking to get married in a place of endless natural, scenic beauty combined with an atmosphere of peace and serenity, Thorpewood is for you. Julie and Lexi are a treasure. We are so thankful that we were able to have our wedding celebration in such a wonderful place! Thank you, Thorpewood!!!

Tish,

Thank you for taking time to write a review. It was such a pleasure working with you both and getting to know you. Thank you for your kind words; this review is exactly why Julie and I love what we do and exactly the service we strive to provide to every client. We wish you and Christian all the best in new life together as husband and wife...it was our pleasure to be a part of your beautiful wedding day :)
    Pat R. Married on 07/24/2021

Grandmother's experience

Exquisite settings for your perfect wedding. No detail is overlooked, extreme professionalism. Every wish and desire for your special day can come true. Julie and her crew provide it all. Beautiful venue and excellent vendors. All observed by grandma!

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Hello Pat!! Thanks for taking the time to share you experience while attending your grandson's wedding!! It was a wonderful day!
    Amy Married on 07/24/2021

Absolutely beautiful venue and top-notch owner / team

Many thanks to Julie C. and the staff of Thorpewood for making my sons wedding absolutely perfect. I cannot say enough good things about the venue and the vendors. From day one of planning to the day of the event, Julie was involved in all aspects of the planning - providing critical support and guidance to make sure everything ran smoothly. The venue itself is absolutely beautiful and offers numerous options for ceremony sites, cocktail hour, dining, and the reception. My son and his wife chose the gorgeous pine cathedral for their ceremony - our guest loved it and the photos are amazing! The dinner was held in the spacious rustic lodge with dancing on the stone patio under the lights. We are beyond pleased with how our Thorpewood wedding turned out - it was above and beyond our expectations and we are incredibly thankful to Julie and her team for making wedding dreams come to life.

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you Amy so much! You know how much I loved being part of Ben and Lindsey's wedding. It was a true pleasure!! I am happy that you were happy!! It was a wonderful day!! :) (Julie C)
    Benjamin P. Married on 07/24/2021

The Dream Venue for our Dream Wedding

My wife and I fell in love with ThorpeWood almost immediately after we toured the venue. The Pine Cathedral - where we eventually chose to have the ceremony - was the background we had always dreamed of for our wedding, and the natural rustic beauty of the entire property was stunning.

Julie and her amazing staff were with us at each step of the planning process. Even though we and our families consistently found new ways to make the event more challenging for her and her team, Julie was always receptive and (sometimes literally) held our hands through every step of the way to make sure that we had the wedding of a lifetime. Julie asked us very thorough questions about what we wanted and made excellent recommendations based on her extensive experience and expertise. We never felt ignored, and knew that we could reach out at any time when we had questions or concerns.

On the day itself, Julie was always nearby to check in on us, keep us updated on any developments or issues, direct guests, and to coordinate and delegate staff and vendors. We never had to worry, and genuinely felt like everything was handled and under control, allowing us to focus and enjoy our day together.

We couldn't recommend Thorpewood any more highly, and we're so excited to visit again and reminisce about the first day of our life together!

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Hi Ben: It was a true pleasure assisting you and Lindsey and I was happy to "hold your hand" whenever it was needed!! I have done this for 21 years and know a few things so that I can help you and all of our clients!! Congratulations and thank you for trusting Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood with your beautiful wedding day!!!!
    Christine Married on 07/11/2021

The most beautiful venue!

Mountain Memories at Thorpewood is not just any ordinary venue, it is the perfect mountaintop memory! This was truly our dream wedding! Our ceremony was at a church and the party was here. Thorpewood is so beautiful and we couldn't imagine a better venue! Julie and her staff went above and beyond to make this day so special for us! The venue was absolutely stunning and they did all the work. They were very well prepared for every possible scenario. I can not thank them enough for making us feel like family and always being so friendly! Their positive attitudes and love for what they do really shows and it made our wedding the most magical day of our lives!!

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thanks so much C&K! It was a pleasure!! We will look forward to seeing you again soon and we hope that you will be able to be together in ONE state soon! Congratulations!!
    Emily C. Married on 07/10/2021

best wedding venue

We had a perfect wedding at Thorpewood. It is so beautiful. All the guests, including kids, enjoyed themselves. After dinner, for those who didn't like dancing, kids played around the firepit, some guests walked on the trails to explore the woods. The staffs are so professional and pleasant. Because of Lexi's help, everything was in the right place. As a bride, I was extremely nervous before the wedding until I arrived at Thorpewood, then all I needed to do was waiting for Lexi's reminder of what was going to happen next.

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you so much for sharing your wedding experience! We are also happy that we connected the lost phone with one of the guests!! Yay!! I know it was a wonderful day and we look forward to seeing some photos. Congratulations!!
    Tammy D. Married on 07/09/2021

Finally, something that worked like a charm in 2020

As the mother-of-the-bride and a professional business woman, I really enjoyed working with Julie and her staff. She has thought of everything and has answers to questions that may not have even been thought of. And the Pine Cathedral with a flautist, a memory of a lifetime.

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

"....like a charm in 2020"! Thanks for that sediment!! It has been a tough year, but we remained hopeful and engaged with all of our couples! Some great memories, even if celebrations were smaller than expected. Thank you!!!
    Jill R. Married on 06/02/2021

Wonderful & Beautiful day!

I could not have asked for a nicer time sharing my daughter's beautiful day. You made everything seem effortless. Thank you for making Danielle's and Dean's day so wonderful! Love was in the air, and she even got her snow!

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you Jill!! It was a wonderful day with lots of love in the air...and snow!!! :) Congratulations to the whole family!
    Jena Married on 05/23/2021

Excellent staff and venue

Very professional and worked well with rescheduling our wedding due to the pandemic.

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thanks Jena!! We can't wait to get you in here!!!! It is a challenging time and we realize that. We are here for you!!
  • Lilia
    Lilia C. Married on 05/22/2021

Look no further for an elegant woodland wedding experience

What to say about Mountain Memories at Thorpewood that has not already been said…Julie is phenomenal – she should be listed as only of the main points of attraction for this venue. I got compliments by bridal party, parents, and vendors about how incredible she is, and I truly do not think the weekend would have been half as successful without her expertise, guidance, and incredible staff. All of that, combined with Julie’s endless support and patience as we dealt with the pandemic and postponed our date several times, just really cemented our love for her and this venue!

As for the venue, WOW. I was asked as least 15 times by different guests about how I found the place. It really is a beautiful, secret oasis. My husband and I chose to get married at Pine Cathedral because we loved the idea of being fully immersed in nature (quick background – we were shopping for wedding venues in wintertime for a spring wedding so it was challenging to find a place as beautiful in dec/jan as it would look in May, but MM@T was just that – and we have been floored ever since). We also liked the added benefit of not having to set up additional chairs since the cathedral has its own log seating.

We had our rehearsal dinner the day before in the barn and halfway through all the children and adults were having an amazing time hanging out by the pond and cottage watching geese, snakes, and beavers.

Following our wedding ceremony in the pine cathedral, we had the cocktail hour, reception, and after party in the lodge. It blew away the expectations we had. Being able to use real candles was a major bonus (we were also able to use real candles at pine cathedral too!) and added so much ambiance to the room, but truly we did not need to do much as all the spaces are wonderfully photogenic. We were able to do our first dance outside under the patio lights, have a jenga guestbook set up to play outside, have corn hole and smores!

While guests were at the cocktail hour, Julie carted around myself, my husband, photographer, and videographer around the rest of the sites on the property so we could get photos at all of them. The arboretum was stunning, and I could tell the 2 vendors were as amazed by this place as we were. It looked like a secret garden from a fairytale.

Before the wedding, my husband and I were able to do a first look alone at the stone bridge with both photographers and both videographers. It turned out so beautifully and I think we can say we hit every location on site!

You may be concerned about MM@T only working with select caterers, but in my experience, it made for a seamless working relationship between them and us (we went with RenChef who were also wonderful!) and we got tons of compliments on the food.

Another concern I initially had was how remote the location is and how it can be challenging to get to and from, but in our experience, not a single person arrived late or missed the ceremony (we did provide small welcome bags with directional information or texted folks some tips in advance).

One small thing to note is that there is no AC – it is generally cooler in the mountain, so we did not have a problem for the ceremony or reception, but it did make for a very hot and sweaty dancefloor. Now, I will also say, no one seemed to be deterred from the dancing or party, but maybe bring a lighter dress to dance it instead of a ballgown.

Thank you so much Julie and MM! You are a Rockstar!!

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you so much Lilia for taking the time to write this very kind and ultimately helpful review! You touched on so many important options that you used and how well they worked! I loved working with you over the past two years and to finally help you create the perfect day!! Happy life!! Congratulations!!! (Julie)
  • Marion
    Marion B. Married on 05/15/2021

ThorpWood Wedding

ThorpWood review

Our daughter’s wedding was held at ThorpWood on May 15, and we could not have wished for a better day. Firstly, the peaceful and scenic drive to the venue through the Catoctin Mountains was a beautiful way to start the day, with the trees and plants in full bloom. Of the venues we researched, the tranquility of ThorpWood is what struck us most. We chose the arboretum for the wedding ceremony, which at this time of the year was absolutely breathtaking – something that was not lost on our guests.

In the early stages of planning, we were positively impressed by the professionalism of Julie and her staff – there were no problems, but only solutions to the occasional challenge. This extended to organization of the reception, where Julie was never short of suggestions, but always open to our own ideas. Although at times we got a bit overwhelmed with the sheer number of small things needed for both the wedding and reception, it was reassuring that Julie always had the show under control.

The downstairs ballroom and adjacent area for after-dinner events allowed our guests to relax both indoors and outdoors and was also very child-friendly – the fire-pit where they could make s’mores was a special attraction. The only sad thing was that this beautiful day passed so quickly but was one that we and our guests will fondly remember. We cannot thank Julie and her staff enough for playing an instrumental role in one of the most important days of our life and give this venue our highest recommendation.

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you Marion!!! We loved helping you, Stuart, Kirstin and Jared throughout this wonderful (long) process! Thanks for sticking with us! The day is one we will not soon forget!! Congratulations!! :)
    Ellyn A. Married on 04/24/2021

Beautiful venue but Amazing Management

Mountain Memories at Thorpewood is an AMAZING venue—and not just for the sheer beauty of the entire property and its tasteful, woodsy, multiple facilities on site. I initially thought the property was Mountain Memories’ main attraction, but I knew from reviews that the owner and wedding coordinator were wonderful and the weddings ran impeccably smooth. Julie Castleman and Lexi Hartner had been so easy to work with in the year leading up to our initially planned April 2020 wedding. Covid-19 decided for us to that our date HAD to be postponed. As of this writing, we have yet to have our wedding, but we have seen for ourselves what a thoughtful and well run wedding venue Mountain Memories is—they truly go above and beyond to make sure the brides have the most stress- free wedding possible, which has been invaluable when a wedding ended up in the middle of a pandemic. From the moment we had to make a “Plan B,” Julie has kept in touch with us almost weekly, encouraging us to destress on the property or simply answer questions/address issues. We just had a Zoom meeting to give us all possible options to execute “B” and discuss if we needed to go with a “C,” since our first reschedule is still in an iffy time period. All communication and information had been well thought through, positive and reassuring, and they were sincerely flexible with any way we wished to proceed. In the end, we’ve gone with “C” 2021 wedding date; the bottom line is that they want what’s best for their brides. I can’t see other venues being as caring and accommodating as MM. Besides the most beautiful outdoor venue I’ve ever seen, the management is second to none. I will update this review after we have our event, but I’m sure we’ll be yet another very happy bride who is grateful for the wonderful people who helped her have the wedding day of her dreams.

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

THANK YOU!!! I have really enjoyed getting to know you and Kristen!! :) Can't wait for your celebration! Keep in touch as needed.