Matthew's Catering and Events Reviews

23 | Jacksonville, FL

23 Reviews for Matthew's Catering and Events

Charlene · Married on 05/21/2016

Matthews has become a sentimental place for my husband and I. On our first anniversary, we had gone to the restaurant to celebrate and had a memorable dinner. We met the sweetest couple celebrating their 30th anniversary who left quite an impression on us and that night we hoped that one day we'd be celebrating our 30th anniversary too. For the four years that we have been together, we have continued to celebrate all of our anniversaries at Matthews and enjoy it just as much every time. With that said, we were set on having them cater our wedding when the time came and I was so excited to hear that they were free on our wedding day.

Hands down, this was the best decision we made for the wedding. The food was amazing and the staff was phenomenal. The staff lent a hand wherever it was needed to make sure everything was set up before the guests arrived and that all the guests were attended to during the reception. I am still hearing compliments on how wonderful the food and staff were and many of my friends were so impressed that they will also be reaching out to Matthews for their weddings. I am so glad that we were able to have Matthews cater our wedding and look forward to celebrating all our anniversaries from our 30th to our 50th with them.

Sent on 06/13/2016

Cindy · Married on 01/24/2014

What can I say, Matthew did an amazing job at my daughters January 24th wedding. My guests were blown away by the service and food. I am still hearing comments like, "I've never had a better piece of meat," and "Those were the best mashed potaotes I've ever had." We had 5 different food station which included soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, beef tenderloin and mashed potatoes, sushi, vegetables, chicken and just whe the guests thought the food was over, they butler passed sliders and milkshakes from M Shack. That combined with the glass champagne fountain, fire pits, s'mores table made the night unforgettable!!! Thank you Matthew and your team for making our special night perfect!!!

Sent on 02/06/2014

My mother has been coordinating weddings in Jacksonville for over 5 years now so when I got engaged we knew exactly what vendors we were going to use. When it was time to decide on who would do the catering Matthew's was the only place we even considered because they have shown time and again to have the service and the highest quality of food. And we were not disappointed. They accept nothing less than excellent and that is exactly what you will get on your wedding day. Everything was perfect and a year later people are still complimenting me on the food!

Sent on 04/10/2015

Jenny · Married on 10/18/2013

Everyone loved the food and everyone kept complimenting us on it.

they let us take home the leftovers and perople were excited to eat them the next day!!

Sent on 10/21/2013
  • Jamie A Winters

Jamie · Married on 05/04/2013

Our experience with Matthew's was absolutely AMAZING!! From day 1, Elizabeth was the most responsive caterer we tried contacting in the general St. Augustine/Jacksonville area. She was a pleasure to work with, especially for a wedding. Everyone wants this day to be the most perfect in every way, and she helped make that possible. With every question, concern, or even a change of heart back and forth a few hundred times, she was there with an answer or support. We loved them so much, that we even had them come and provide the food for our rehearsal dinner! On our big day, everything was absolutely amazing and I have never heard so many people say "they LOVED the food!" Tons of our guests raved that they never seem to enjoy food at weddings, but our food was phenomenal.

Sent on 06/02/2013

Dawn · Married on 12/08/2012

Matthew's catering director was wonderful to work with during the planning process. I'm a pescetarian and my husband is a serious meat eater and we were able to create a menu that satisfied both our taste buds and gave our guests a variety. The servers and chefs were on time, professional and extremely helpful (a special plate was made for us with all the appetizers and they boxed up dinner for us as well, which we enjoyed at the end of the evening!). The set up was amazing and they came well prepared. We opted for food stations one of which was an action station. Our guests raved about the food (we are foodies so that was important to us, check!) and several went back for seconds and thirds! Overall I would recommend Matthew's catering to everyone (and I already have)!

Sent on 01/16/2013

Cate · Married on 11/24/2012

I hired Matthew's for my wedding on November 24th. The food and beverage portion of my wedding was an important element to my day. I'm a catering/event manager and have been producing events for 12 years. My guests had huge expectations for every aspect of my wedding. I chose Matthew's because of their reputation, my personal experiences and my trust in Elizabeth. They delivered and I'm so glad I made the right choice. I highly recommend them for your special day or occasion.

Sent on 12/01/2012

Lyndsey · Married on 10/06/2012

I will recommend Matthew's to every friend and relative who is having an event in Jacksonville until I'm blue in the face! Matthew's was the first nice restaurant my fiance and I ever went to and when it came to wedding planning, great food was my fiance's only request. Knowing that Matthew's was one of the most expensive caterers in town and we had quite a large reception planned, I was very nervous. However, Elizabeth, their catering director was absolutely wonderful. I was only in town for a week to plan the wedding, and she met me at my dad's house to show me options. Don't be fooled with the options and prices online, because Elizabeth worked with me extensively to get a menu that was both delicious and within our budget.

Once I had the menu, I actually contacted several other catering companies in town and gave them the menu Matthew's quoted me on and surprisingly, Matthew's price was actually below! I knew that Matthew's would provide the food quality and service we desired.

One of my favorite things about Matthew's was I didn't have to worry about setup or professionalism. Elisabeth asked me what my colors were and the theme and feel for the reception (backyard, rustic elegance) and they delivered! All of the food was displayed on rustic wood boards and basket with my flowers stuck all in between. Everyone was on time and extremely professional. I bought sheet cake from Publix and their staff cut and passed out cake, as well as poured and passed out champagne.

And last but certainly not least - THE FOOD WAS EXCEPTIONAL! They saved us a big box of leftovers which we ate on the way to the honeymoon and we still couldn't get over how good the food was. We heard it from numerous guests as well. I may be biased, but it's the best wedding food I've ever had.

If you're considering Matthew's, don't fret the price. Determine what you can afford and work with their staff to make it happen, you won't regret it!

Sent on 03/05/2013
  • Jennifer

Jennifer · Married on 09/15/2012

Words can not express how impressed we were with Matthew's. The passed hor dourves were delicious and plentiful. The sit down served meal for 180 people was perfectly cooked, nicely presented, and simply mouth watering. The staff was excellent! And an added bonus that the executive chef was on site to co-ordinate everything! Thank you Matthew's for your attention to detail! Our guests are still talking about how delicious everything was!

Sent on 11/18/2012

Laura · Married on 09/08/2012

The catering services provided by Matthews were simply outstanding! The food was excellent, and we received many complements. The bartenders were very attentive and provided a great service. I would definitely recommend them to anyone for any special occasion event.

Laura · Married on 09/08/2012

Enough cannot be said about Matthew's. I have had nothing but rave reviews from my guests about how incredible the food was at our reception. To begin with, Elizabeth was a delight to work with and was so helpful in directing us with possible ways to coordinate our menu. We had a variety of food for our guests and there was not one thing I did not get a compliment on. You can tell they are true professionals and take pride in creating delicious food that tickles all your senses. As if looking at the beautifully presented dishes aren't enough, the lingering smell draws you in for seconds and thirds because having one plate is not nearly enough for your tastebuds. We also used bartenders from Matthew's and they were just as enjoyable. It was nice to have knowledgable bartenders available to serve our guests a wide variety of delicious concoctions. Dealing with everyone setting up was the least stressful part of my day. Matthew's came in, took charge and had everything to go on schedule. If you are looking for someone who's knows what they're doing, is a great value and is professional and enjoyable, call Matthew's. You will be sorely disappointed if you don't.

Samantha · Married on 09/01/2012

Wow. People are STILL talking about the food, and if you've ever eaten at Chef Matthew's restaurant in San Marco, you know why. Elizabeth, the manager and coordinator of events is SO sweet and the entire team is awesome- not only do they humbly accept requests for different menu items, but they work seamlessly to ensure precision and perfection throughout your entire event. Not only was I proud to have them as our wedding reception caterers, but I'm also excited to spend every anniversary of my husband & I's in the future at Matthew's, eating the same dreamy, mouth-watering amazement that we had on our wedding night. Matthew's is a true gem of Jacksonville.

Sent on 09/07/2012

Brooke · Married on 06/16/2012

Matthew's Catering did an amazing job catering my wedding reception. Their food was outstanding and service even more commendable. I would highly recommend Matthew's to any bride looking for a professional catering company with food that doesn't have that 'typical cheap wedding food taste'. I had more compliments on the food than anything else!

Sent on 07/03/2012

Marge · Married on 06/15/2012

My wedding was almost a month ago, and i still have guests contacting me- just to tell me how great the food and service was! Best food my guest have ever had at a reception! and set up is gorgeous!

Sent on 07/05/2012

Anthony · Married on 06/04/2012

Excellent food at a reasonable price.

Sent on 06/06/2012

Robin · Married on 05/27/2012

Elizabeth was great to work with from beginning to end. Very helpful and patient with many last minute changes. The serving staff was wonderful as well....and we received many, many compliments from our guests. Our sincere thanks to Matthew's!

Sent on 06/09/2012

Sara · event on 02/04/2012

The Hawaiian-style pig and pineapple upside-down cake were incredible, as was the client service throughout the pre-event planning, on the day of the event and post-event. I would happily recommend Matthew's catering to others.

Sent on 03/27/2012

Arjola · Married on 08/08/2008

We were treated with such care from day one until the night of our wedding. Elizabeth Van Nuys, the Catering Coordinator at Matthew's is phenomenal! She is just amazing to work with, answered all of our questions, handled everything with such extreme care and attention to detail. The food was impeccable! It's beyond belief good. We have had so many of our guests comment on how amazing the food was. Although new to the catering business, they had a superior performance at our wedding and we are truly grateful for them. The entire staff was incredible, the rentals and everything they did was superb. Elizabeth handled everything with such professionalism yet we felt like she cared so much about the two of us and our event. Matthew himself cooked for us for the tasting, that was quite an experience to have the chef extraordinaire all to ourselves. We made some great decisions in choosing our vendors for our wedding and choosing Matthew's as our caterer was one of the top ones. Thank you so much for making 08-08-08 an amazing experience for us and all of our guests!

Sent on 08/29/2008
  • Rebecca

Rebecca · Married on 10/20/2012

Our overall experience was pleasant and the food was fantastic. The only draw back for us was that we didn't receive any food to go as discussed. We were so occupied with guest and didn't get to enjoy the food to its fullest and was disappointed there was nothing packed for us to take with us back to the hotel. Overall I would recommend them to anyone. There was so much flexibility in the specific menu choice we wanted and they delivered above and beyond and exceeded our expectations! Thank you Guys!

Sent on 11/15/2012

Angel · Married on 11/08/2008

LOVE LOVE LOVE THE FOOD. It was truly gastronomic .
    From the cocktail menu of crabcakes and salmon cream cheese dip to the scallops that was served in the buffet.
    FANTASTIC!!!
    everyone raved about the food.
    truly wise decision to get them for our reception.

Sent on 12/09/2008

Loubens · Married on 09/01/2012

3.5

Elizabeth was great to work with and the staff was knowledgeable and courteous.

Kimberly · Married on 05/21/2010

What I enjoyed most about having Matthews Catering do my wedding was the freedom! Known to my friends and family as a well seasoned Chef, the food was one of the most important things about my wedding day. So I wanted MY MENU at the wedding. Matthews Catering coordinators didn't see a problem in making my menu work. I knew the food would be beautiful, and tasty, as having dined at Matthews and Medures frequently...so to me the food was the easy part. Getting me to stop being the bride to eat these delectables was going to be the hard part. The food was a reflection of me and my husband and so it had to be perfect, and had to have all my favortite foods, and it did, and I was thrilled. I wish I had some Tacos as I type this!!! However, all this personlization does come with a heaftly price tag, but it was my only splurge, I budgeted everything else, but again the food and drink was OUR most important part about our day. I baked my own wedding cake, cupcakes, desserts, and more, so I can't speak about their desserts, but I know they are always yummy at the restaurants. They even made me a Blueberry Mojito as my signature cocktail! I was a very laid back bride so if anything went wrong, I don't think anything did, but if it did I don't think I cared that much. I just remember it being the best day of my life, and the food was what everyone talked about...that and my Dancing!

Sent on 06/25/2012

Diane · Married on 10/19/2013

3.0

Working with Matthew's for our Rehearsal Luncheon was aboslutely wonderfiul. We worked with Elizabeth with Catering to plan our meals, timeline, etc. She was able to work with us to incorporate the meals we wanted especially for those in my family who have allergies.

I loved the venue because it's large, elegant, and beautifylly decorated. We didn't need to add decoration because the banquet room already has nice decor.

Best part about a rehearsal lunch is the fact that we were able to use the entire restaurant for our party. They served the hors d'oeuvres in the restaurant area and drinks served at the bar. We also had a cheese and meat display. They then ushered us into the banquet room for lunch - the buffet tables were placed in the restaurant area.

I love the flexibility of Matthew's along with the delicious meal they served. Folks were raving about the rehearsal luncheon, which was a prequeal to our awesome reception & dining at TPC Sawgrass.

I also loved how my hubby was able to order me my own Truffle Mac & Cheese bowl. Now here's where I took off stars on my review - the chef was kind to make my special bowl of Mac & Cheese and drop it off to my table. I asked if the second bowl he was carrying was extra for me or my fiance (now hubby). Chef said no and it was for his friend - one of my bridesmaids. I jokingly asked him if I can keep it since I'm the BRIDE and love truffle mac & cheese or just give it to my fiance since his family is paying for the rehearsal lunch. Chef just smiled and dropped off the mac & cheese to the bridesmaid. EXCUSE ME? my Hubby specifically ordered it for me, if you're going to have an extra bowl please give it to the BRIDE (who hasn't really eaten much the week of the wedding) or the Groom who has paid for this event. I was atually ticked about that incident and thought that was NOT professional of the chef even after I asked if the Groom or I can have it.

Overall, I was pleased with our experience.

Sent on 12/30/2013