Islands Catering Reviews

11 | North Charleston, SC

11 Reviews for Islands Catering

11 Islands Catering Reviews

Kellie · Married on 06/12/2016

I am ever so grateful to Island Catering. Our caterer backed out on us 3 weeks before our wedding. We were super stressed out and could not imagine what we were going to do. I called Island Catering, and not only were they AMAZINGLY kind, they were willing to work within our budget AND even threw in a few touches to make it extra special!! They were amazing. Their food was wonderful, and they pulled it together for us with such kindness like we had been planning it for a year!

Kayci · Married on 10/18/2015

I can't say enough about Pete & Juli. From the time we had our tasting to the end of the reception we were completely happy with the service. My husband and I never even saw the bar at our reception because Juli had a fresh drink in each of our hands at all times. It's been a year and a half since our wedding and people are still raving about the food. I was just reminded at a wedding this past weekend about how spectacular our catering was, which prompted me to write this review. When people are still talking about the food nearly 2 years later you know it was good! Juli took care of everything as my caterer and event planner, saving me tons of money and time having to hire a separate planner or trying to do everything myself. They were my favorite vendor, hands down.

Allison · Married on 10/10/2015

From the time that I searched for a caterer using Thumbtack to the time that Pete dropped my decor off to me after our event, Pete and Juli were professional and responsive. Not to mention the food was AMAZING!! All of our guests raved about how delicious everything was. Pete and Juli also have GREAT ideas!! They suggested the venue where our wedding ceremony ended up being held since we didn't know of any outdoor venues in our price range (we are an out-of-town couple and we were planning a destination wedding in Charleston). They also suggested doing blondies to go with the brownies for dessert that we wanted. Pete and Juli really went above and beyond as far as I'm concerned: they booked the ceremony chairs (even though they were at a separate venue), they picked up all of my decor items, set them up exactly as I specified, and returned them to me a couple days after the reception so that I wouldn't have to worry about packaging them up at the end of the reception. I can't thank them enough, and I would definitely very HIGHLY recommend them to anyone that is looking for a caterer in the Charleston area. They were so helpful, the food was AWESOME, and they were wonderful to work with the entire time!!! :-) :-)

Katey · Married on 02/21/2015

Islands Catering did an exceptional job with catering our wedding reception! Juli and Pete are extremely professional and wonderful to work with. They coordinated the rentals (linens, tables, oyster roaster, etc) that we needed for our event, which made the planning process that much easier! Our menu consisted of an oyster roast with local oysters, as well as a southern BBQ with cornbread, mashed potatoes, and collard greens. We had passed crab cakes and (amazing) pimento cheese wheels before the oyster roast began. The food was absolutely fantastic, we still have guests from our event raving about it!
    The bar and event staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. Having Islands Catering for our reception eliminated all of the stress for us in planning such a big event. We highly recommend them!

Spalding · Married on 06/28/2014

We hired Islands Catering for our family reunion with 24 people-ages 2-76. Pete and Juli were an absolute delight to work with. First of all the food was consistently great. They catered 5 meals for us - breakfast, lunch and dinner. After the breakfast meal, the whole family was begging for Pete to come again. The lunches were easy and had something for everyone. One day we had a very last minute change of venue, and their response was, "No problem. We will be there."

Each time they showed up, they went above and beyond with some little extra thing - cookies for the kids, etc. They really thought of everything. The day we had to move lunch, they even provided lemonade knowing we were away from the house and would have nothing but water.

Using Islands Catering is a no-brainer. Great food, efficient service, delightful people - no muss/no fuss. Our whole family from California to Tennessee to Georgia HIGHLY recommends using Islands Catering for your next event!

Melanie · Married on 11/16/2013

Everything went wonderful for the wedding and it was so nice to to worry about anything. Guests were raving about the food and still are.

Beth · Married on 05/11/2013

We were extremely pleased with Islands Catering for our daughter's wedding reception. We planned the wedding in Charleston SC from Ohio, so the majority of our communications with Pete Twomey (chef) was done via email and telephone with only one face-to-face meetings to plan the reception and another face-to-face for a tasting session. Pete truly took all our worries away....he not only prepares the food, but he arranges for the table/chair set up, schedules the linens, and he worked closely with the venue. And his food is excellent! The food was hot, tasty, presented professionally, and he is focused on food safety. We heard nothing but praise for his food from our guests. We couldn't have asked for a better experience!

Valarie · Married on 05/04/2013

Everything about this catering company is amazing!
    The food was outstanding and everyone still keeps raving to us about how wonderful the food tasted. My personal favorite was the braised short ribs!
    The owners are outstanding people and very professional to work with!
    Thank you so very much!

Lauren · Married on 02/28/2014

Wow - where to begin with Islands Catering? After researching for months all of the well known Charleston caterers, I came across this gem of a catering/event-planning company.

Background on Event:
    * 140 People for Seated Dinner
    * Boone Hall Plantation Cotton Dock (no kitchen on-site)

Here are just a few of the reasons I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Islands Catering:
    * All Inclusive Service: so here's how it works Pete, the owner and head chef, owns all menu development/execution, while his wife Juli leads up all coordinating your rentals/event planning/execution - there's no extra fee for her services - it's all part of their equity - not only is that huge savings (instead of paying 5-10% to a wedding planner), but it really simplified our planning experience and number of contacts. Additionally, I had a very clear vision of how I wanted the reception at the Cotton Dock decorated - Juli was awesome to simply execute that vision vs. tweak or alter creatively.
    * Excellent Food: two months post wedding I'm still hearing how wonderful and fresh the food at our wedding was. From the passed hors d'oeuvres and raw oyster/she-crab soup bar during cocktail hour to our personalized menu that featured "A Taste of the Low Country" entree (white cheddar gulf shrimp and grits, cajun friend chicken and mashed sweet potatoes), we could not have been more thrilled with the food (which we had high expectations for, being you're in the capital of excellent southern cuisine).
    * Unmatched Value: as we wanted a semi-formal seated dinner but also were on a budget, we received quotes from over 10 catering companies. Islands Catering was approx. 40% discounted vs. the other companies AND we received excellent food, service and Juli's event management.

Jennifer · Married on 03/20/2015

Pete was excellent and professional in setting up our wedding buffet. The food was amazing and everyone loved it. I'm so glad someone packed us some leftovers so we had a snack after everything was over! The presentation was great and it was a wonderful event all around. I highly recommend Islands Catering to anyone looking for a great deal on delicious food for their event.

Tripp · Married on 06/13/2014

3.8
      3.5

Islands catering provided great food and helped tremendously with setting up for the reception. Pete and Juli were very nice, and easy to work with. However, my main criticism would be the bar service. My husband and I had each worked in the food and beverage industry for over 10 years, so great service is very important to us. We discussed the importance of this with Pete and Juli, and also let them know that many of our guests would be from the food/bev industry so good food and strong drinks would be very important to our guests as well. Working in the industry and helping with many events myself, plus knowing that our guests would be celebrating and drinking a lot, I emphasized the point that they needed to be extra prepared. Juli reassured me that they would have more than enough alcohol, so needless to say, I was very disappointed that I was not able to drink my basic cocktail (vodka, soda, and lime) at my own wedding because they ran out of soda water and lime a little over half way through the reception. I was even more bummed when I got a lot of feedback from my guests in the following weeks that the bar was not well stocked and the bartenders did not know how to make basic drinks. Overall, I was happy with the service, especially for the cost, and would use Islands catering again. The food was delicious, and having Juli help coordinate was very helpful, but I wish I would have been more assertive of the bar situation.