Gertrude's Chesapeake Kitchen Reviews

Gertrude's Chesapeake Kitchen 6
Gertrude's Chesapeake Kitchen 7

Patrick Fleming · Married on 11/24/2018

Amazing experience all around

We cannot recommend Gertrude's, and the BMA enough, for hosting a wedding. From beginning to end the staff was helpful and amazing. The day of the wedding every guest commented on the food and location. We held our ceremony in the front entrance of the BMA b/c we were married in Nov., when it was dark and cold so the sculpture garden wasn't an option. Gertrude's provided a person just for the couple to grab us drinks, grab us food, and generally do what ever we needed through out the night, it was amazing.

I will note that this was a gay wedding, with mostly gay vendors (dj, photographer, etc). I cannot recommend this location enough for anyone, but particularly for LGBT+ couples looking for an location that is not only accommodating, but encouraging.

Suleika Booth · Married on 10/27/2018

It all worked out so beautifully. Everyone loved the venue!

We wanted something intimate and romantic and at Gertrude’s we got to have that and more. So happy we found this place and the food was amazing!!

sally · Married on 09/15/2018

Excellent venue, beautiful location, friendly and accommodating staff, and delicious food. Everyone raved about the food--especially the fried chicken. Thank you.

NIna · Married on 09/08/2018

We are very happy that we had our wedding at Gertrude’s restaurant. Everything was just the way we wanted it to be

Jan · Married on 09/08/2018

We were were beyond pleased with everything for our daughter'swedding. Gertrude's was superlative in every way. The food was amazing. The helpfulness and coordination with vendors and rain decisions was spot on. But the attentiveness by the staff for the bride and groom, myself and Nina's dad...and I assume Adam's parents, was unexpected and top notch. Always being sure we had drinks and food and anything that we could want for our party was so professional. It's those unexpected touches that make your team and organization stand out. Everyone and everything was perfect; Emily V. and Katie get 5 stars in my book. Thank you so very much for making the evening exactly what we wanted: enjoyable, fun and without any worry.

And please....thanks to the chef. There is nothing like wonderful food, but to provide great food for these types of occasions was a gift for all who got to enjoy it.

Jan Goldman

Gertrude's Chesapeake Kitchen 13
    Gertrude's Chesapeake Kitchen 14
    Gertrude's Chesapeake Kitchen 15
    Gertrude's Chesapeake Kitchen 16
    Gertrude's Chesapeake Kitchen 17

Alissa · Married on 08/11/2018

Emily and the entire staff at Gertrude's hosted a phenomenal wedding for us. The whole planning process was seamless. The event itself went very well and we have nothing to complain about. The service, food, and venue are well worth the higher cost.

Sophie · Married on 05/12/2018

My husband and I had our ceremony (in their garden) and reception at Gertrude's and they provided an AMAZING wedding experience. Seriously, our wedding day was better than we ever could have imagined and we're super picky! Emily was very easy to work with, extremely accommodating, and always answered emails promptly. I would absolutely recommend Gertrude's for a stress-free wedding day that your guests will absolutely remember.

Lee · Married on 03/03/2018

From what I understand Gertrude's is not a wedding venue many people consider when exploring all of the different wedding options in Baltimore. I know it was not one initially on my radar, but when our original venue fell through, our wedding planner Kate, connected us to Gertrude's and literally they put together the greatest wedding I could imagine. Everything was perfect (food, decor, staff, etc). They worked with us to customize everything we could think of and the food was the best food I've ever eaten at a wedding. I can't recommend this place enough.

Caitlin · Married on 10/14/2017

I don't even know where to start- WOW! Gertrude's, the BMA, and Emily Villarreal made our wedding reception PERFECT! Emily was absolutely amazing throughout the entire wedding process- from answering my questions from day one (which I know I had a lot of!), to making sure everything went smoothly the night of our wedding. I can't imagine planning the wedding without her and I am so incredibly grateful to her. Our wedding reception was the most beautiful I have ever seen and a night we never forget with memories to cherish forever. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU so much to the entire team at Gertrude's and especially Emily for our wedding reception!

Rachel · Married on 09/30/2017

THANK YOU, GERTRUDE'S AT THE BMA & EMILY VILLARREAL!!!!!! The reception exceeded all expectations!!! From the atmosphere, food, dessert, candles, and service, it could not have been better. We were especially grateful for having our own personal server who made sure we had food, wine, and water at all times. When we sat down at Gertrude's about 4 years ago for dinner, we knew we wanted to have our wedding reception there. I am so happy we went with our instinct because it truly was a magical evening and the best day of our lives. Gertrude's staff & Emily Villarreal created the environment for everyone to have the best time... we received compliments all night and the day after about how wonderful everything was. I could go on and on..... Emily in particular was so wonderful, organized, and helpful throughout our 1+ year planning process. We could not have done it without her guidance. Above all else, every interaction with Emily, whether in person or over email, was professional and kind, and for that we are forever grateful. My husband and I would recommend this venue to anyone planning their wedding or special event!

Melanie · Married on 08/19/2017

If you don't choose Gertrude's to host your wedding day, you're making a huge mistake! Everything was absolutely perfect! The food, the service, the venue, the atmosphere, the people, the process, the accommodations, everything! It was the most perfect and intimate location to host our wedding. I wouldn't change a thing...other than it went to fast! I can't thank Gertrude's enough for making our day so incredibly special and better than I could have ever imagined it to be!

alia · Married on 07/01/2017

everyone was available, professional, knowledgable, and flexible

Gina · Married on 06/23/2017

This past week my daughter had her wedding ceremony and reception at Gertrude's Restaurant at the BMA. The entire event was absolutely magical! Regarding the wedding ceremony, as my one friend observed, seeing my daughter cross the fountain over the large steps to her intended was so symbolic and beautiful. The complimentary water and lemonade served was also such a nice touch. Watching the wedding, every seat had the best possible view; no one missed a beat, and we could hear every word! Yet what feature impressed me the most was how professional and caring the whole entire Gertrude's team was during the whole evening. Once the wedding ceremony was over, the chairs were placed back as the butlered drinks and appetizers were being served: no mobbed waiting lines at the bars. The fountains were turned back on; the candle lanterns were lite allowing for the guests to wonder and to admire the sculptures. The dinner menu was impeccable! Guest after guest continued to say, "this food is the best that I have ever eaten at a wedding!" At first we thought that everyone was being polite until we got calls again from different guests saying the exact same thing. The food was fresh and absolutely delicious, plus varied so that guests could select what they wished to suit their own palettes. If a glass was put down, it was immediately pick up. If a plate was emptied, it was immediately taken. The staff worked seamlessly. My one friend is in charge of conventions; she stated that the Gertrude's team was such an A team; everyone was very very impressed. Gertrude's knows how to do weddings. Each section of the wedding flowed into the other without any delay making each guest feel as if they had their very own valet. The evening was so, so special. When it came time to dance after dinner, the fountains were glowing as the breezes were blowing in from the gardens. Every guest felt as if he was in a magical garden. All said,"this is the best wedding I have ever been too!"

Sarah · Married on 06/17/2017

Gertrude's made our wedding dreams come true! It was the most magical night of our life thanks to the care and love this venue poured into all the details of our day! From the service to the food, even the little details of the floating candles around the fountain, Gertrude's made our day so special! Our guests keep talking about the food and the service, four days later! Thank you for not only making this day special for my husband and I but also special for our friends and family! Everyone had a blast and everyone felt at home! The venue was intimate but also spacious! People were able to move around to all the different areas of the garden and the indoor dining room and outdoor terrace. It was so perfect! My husband and I can't wait to come back and have dinner and reminisce! Thank you Gertrude's!

Nadia · Married on 06/10/2017

Highly recommended! Gertrude's wasn't actually my first-choice venue--since I'm a regular customer, I was worried it wouldn't seem special enough--but in the end it turned out to be the absolute perfect choice for us. Emily is so professional and organized. The food was even better than a typical Gertrude's dinner--I'm not sure how they do it. The space was also somehow transformed and more magical than usual. I suppose it could have just been my bride goggles, but I don't think so! The staff was excellent. They even sent us home with all the leftovers (including cake)!! I really have nothing negative to say. Lots of positive feedback from the guests, too!

Meagan · Married on 06/03/2017

Our wedding at Gertrude's was amazing! It was everything we had hoped for - the food was delicious, staff was wonderful, setting was beautiful and we were able to personalize it to meet our needs.
    Emily, our coordinator, helped us design the menu that worked perfectly within our budget as well as reflected our tastes and favorite places to our guests.
    The only downside was that there is no one guiding the ceremony - so you are responsible for doing your rehearsal and cueing your wedding party when to go for entrance. Not a huge deal, but something to make sure you are aware of an ok with since there will not be someone signaling for music change, etc.. so you must plan accordingly.
    Because of the outdoor space the dance floor never felt too crowded and guests were able to enjoy the beautiful scenery when they needed to cool down or wanted a quieter space to chat. Gertrude's was truly amazing!!

RONI · Married on 06/03/2017

Emily was fantastic! Loved the setting. Delicious food and we lucked out with fabulous weather! Great setting for a classy and intimate ceremony. Everyone had a wonderful time. Thank You for making our day so very special!

rene · Married on 06/03/2017

What a wonderful experience! From our first meeting until the day itself, Emily was always available and responsive too our every whim.

Tom · Married on 10/08/2016

The venue was so beautiful, the food was amazing, and everything went off without a hitch. Our wedding was a spectacular event, and will forever be remembered as one of the best nights of my life. Emily helped make everything go flawlessly, and made us feel so much at ease. Definitely recommend!

Dorothy · Married on 07/15/2016

We highly recommend Gertrudes as a venue for your special occasion. From initial inquires, straight through to the event itself, we were met with nothing less than true professionalism, culminating in an exceptional experience, all stress free.

Glenn · Married on 05/09/2015

We are so excited to have our rehearsal dinner at Gertrude's! John has been super helpful and accommodating! My fiance, his parents, and I had dinner there and the food was delicious! The venue is very unique and fits perfectly with our "wedding theme"!

Nadya · Married on 04/19/2015

We had our wedding reception here and couldn't have asked for a better experience. Michelle was so easy to work with and was very professional. We had a lot of strange requests and they were all met. We dropped the center pieces and other things off earlier in the day and the staff did a great job of setting everything up for us. Not to mention the food was delicious!

Courtney · Married on 05/31/2014

Gertrude's could not have been a more perfect place for our rehearsal dinner. It was an easy and stress-free experience with delicious food and great ambiance. The setting is beautiful outside in the garden with the fountain and the sculptures along with the flowers. John and his team did all of the work for us, including printing out beautiful menus for each of our guests and making honest recommendations on what we should serve. They took care of the setup of our slideshow, and the servers were on point with making sure everyone had something to eat or drink at all times.

Laura · Married on 05/31/2014

Simply amazing to work with during the pre-visit, planning stages, tasting dinner and the day of the wedding. They made special accommodations for my gluten free guests and everyone was shocked at that level of attention to their needs. The layout of the venue is ideal for a reception (or any party.) The Sculpture Garden and patio and tented area was ideal for the Cocktail portion of the event, and then we all moved inside to the restaurant for dinner, toasts, cake cutting. The meals were served efficiently and each guest was allowed to place their own order from our selected menu of five different meals. One of the BIG advantages of having the dinner here for us was the level of personalization we were able to do…the menu choices we could offer was literally more than 25 pages! This beats getting a beef/chicken/pork option where you have to know 6 weeks in advance what you want to choose on an RSVP card!! My one regret is that they served the tables in order of number…but we had three tables along the banquet that served as our "head table" to accommodate all of our family members, and one of the tables was served last instead of with the other two "head" tables. Unfortunately, it was also the only tables with children so in hindsight I would have had them served right away instead of last. Be sure to specify with Emily and Jean how you want the servings to go and they will happily pay attention to your needs.
    The appetizers, drink/bar setup, dinner, and dessert station (ice cream bar) were all beautifully prepared and delicious. We have had so many compliments about the venue, the food, the atmosphere. We could not have been more pleased with our choice.

p.s. During the summer of 2014, the Baltimore Museum of Art is undergoing renovations that have the bathrooms inside the building closed. There is a portable bathroom trailer unit (think upscale, not a PortaPotty.) Don't let that deter you from booking the venue. Not ideal but a deal breaker for the most part.