French Picnic Reviews

French Picnic 6
French Picnic 7

Elizabeth Farrell · Married on 09/22/2018

The absolute best.

From the very first point of contact, Edward was extremely professional. We decided to go with him after the tasting, we only had to try a few dishes before we knew we definitely wanted to go with him — everything was amazing and the presentation was beautiful. You can tell how much Edward cares about freshness, taste, and the overall dining experience. We were concerned due some allergies in the family, and Edward and his team were extremely meticulous in ensuring all allergies were taken into consiration and made accommodations accordingly. You can tell that Edward and his team put their heart and soul into the preparation and delivery of each piece of food, everything was absolutely delicious, it’s been a month since the wedding and people are still raving about the food... thank you so much Edward for being such an integral part of my big day and helping create an overall experience that is truly unforgettable. Highly recommend Edward and his amazing team! ❤️

Rachel · Married on 09/08/2018

French Picnic was by far my favorite vendor at our wedding. Edward and his team cook amazing food! We did a tasting with Edward when first hiring him, and my father, who fancies himself a good cook, could not stop raving about how great the food was. We couldn't wait for the actual wedding. Our guests have not stopped raving about how amazing the meal was, and how much food there was! We've even had people ask if Edward has a restaurant so they can eat his food on their own. Not only was the food delicious and abundant, but the price was extremely competitive. I am so incredibly happy we hired Edward, and would recommend him to anyone planning a wedding.

Lisa · Married on 08/11/2018

We hired French Picnic to cater our wedding at our home in South Portland and they did a brilliant job. For reference, the whole wedding was supposed to take place outside in our back yard, but the skies opened up on the morning of the event. Edward and his team set up our dining room for forty guests in no time, preparing their cooking area under pop-up tents on the porch while we turned the living room into a tiny chapel. The waitstaff were incredible, somehow managing to make sure that everyone in the cramped, happy space got to try all of the amazing appetizers. They went above and beyond to wrap up everything for us afterward and cleared the floor in what felt like minutes so that we could turn the dining room back into a dance floor! The food was amazing, everything simple and elegant with perfect quality ingredients and usually some twist that left my guests asking for the recipe (the haddock, you guys). If they could work this kind of sorcery for my wedding, which had the absolute least amount of planning that you can have and technically still call it a wedding, imagine what they could do for yours. Thank you guys for rolling with everything and helping make our day so special!

Brenda · Married on 08/04/2018

In November, 2017 we began the search for a caterer for an August, wedding to be held at our cabin on a lovely lake in the Rangeley area. We are a family that appreciates superior food. We forage farmer's markets for the tiniest green beans and perfect raspberries. We argue about cooking technique. In short, selection of the right caterer for a family wedding was no small matter. I scheduled a tasting with Edward, owner of the French Picnic, in December, 2017...and I was absolutely blown away by both the aesthetic beauty and fabulous taste of the dishes he prepared. The salad of golden and red beets was gorgeous. The Thai coconut curry-sauced fish was exquisite. Literally everything was wonderful. I took home leftovers for my husband. He ate every morsel and said, "Look no further! This is the perfect caterer. " I agreed but cautioned my husband that cooking a fabulous feast for ONE PERSON at a tasting is easy....cooking for the 100 people we expected at the wedding? Hard. We could not expect such quality for a crowd, particularly in our decidedly remote location.

Well, I was wrong. On so many levels: First, 140 invitees accepted...not the 100 we had expected. Edward did not blink. No problem. And the food? Well, I can only say that guest after guest came to us during and after the wedding to say that the food served by the French Picnic was unquestionably the best wedding food they ever ate. They compared the meal to the finest restaurant cuisine in top restaurants around the world. This was a picky crowd. Many professional athletes with various dietary restrictions. Guests from New York City and San Francisco who have dined at Per Se, the French Laundry, Chez Panisse. They were boggled. By the variety, the quality, the sheer awesomeness and beauty of the food. My heart is grateful. The food was worthy of the best possible family celebration. Thank you, Edward and Staff. You made a memorable day even more memorable. Fabulous!

Kristin · Married on 07/28/2018

The food at my wedding was out-of-this-world. One of the best meals I have ever had in my life. Fresh, flavorful, and filling. Many of my guests still rave about it to this day (many of which are very hard to please). On top of that, Edward was a pleasure to work with and his staff was professional and friendly. Highly recommended. Thank you, Edward!!

French Picnic 8
    French Picnic 9
    French Picnic 10
    French Picnic 11
    French Picnic 12
    French Picnic 13

V · Married on 07/14/2018

French Picnic was the BEST wedding decision we made. I had several people come up to me to share it was not only some of the best wedding food they had but some of the best food period. The whole family style is awesome and different, makes the meal part of the celebration vs a time out from it like most wedding dinners. The cost was very competitive which is insane considering the taste and delivery are so far above average. Edward was just fun to work with too, makes such a difference day of. If you are reading this, book them and then invite us to your wedding so we can eat it again please!!!

French Picnic 14
    French Picnic 15
    French Picnic 16

Elaine · Married on 06/09/2018

Holy moly. We can not say enough how amazing Edward and French Picnic were. The food was divine, the staff incredible and kind, Edward is such a genuinely kind and wonderful person to work with, and we heard nothing but good things from all of our guests. What more could you want? His staff made sure that my husband and I had the chance to eat some of the incredible appetizers by bringing them out specifically for us and always made sure that we had enough to eat. That's right! We actually got to eat on our wedding day! :) Everyone worked so hard and helped to set up all of the tables so that they looked absolutely stunning. Edward was such a great person to have on our team and I just know that he is going to be so successful in the future. Book him now! You won't regret it and your guests won't be able to stop talking about the INCREDIBLE food.

Madison · Married on 05/05/2018

Far and away the BEST decision we made for our wedding was hiring Edward/French Picnic Catering. From the get go Edward was so relaxed, laid back, and yet quick to answer all of my questions and address my concerns. My than fiance and I had a tasting with him in Portland and COULD NOT BELIEVE this was the food that was going to be served at our wedding. It was delicious, unique, and yet inherently food that all people are drawn to and enjoy. How he combines all of that together in his dishes I will never know but it is not a talent every chef possess. This was proven to me even further when guests were basically waiting at the door during cocktail hour for Edward's servers to come in with the 4 appetizers he prepared. My guests were raving! For dinner I knew I wanted to avoid a buffet but was very nervous from the get go about having a meal served family style as Edward suggested. I was concerned guests would be confused, that dinner would take forever, or of the 3 COURSES (That's right 3 full meals) guests wouldn't like enough of the food to eat it all. Edward assured me with his experience and that the meal would take place like a perfect synchronized dance. I have never been so happy to be proven wrong. The day of the wedding everything flowed so beautifully. The servers came out and delivered the main dish and sides at each table with efficiency and poise. They cleared when needed and answered all of my guests questions. We ended up serving a chicken dish, fish dish, and steak dish and EVERYTHING was enjoyed and eaten. Again, this just speaks to Edward and his ability to serve delicious and likable food for a wide audience. My husband and I were making our rounds talking with everyone and people could not stop saying it was the best meal they had at a wedding ever! So many people asked me about Edward and his company it was my husbands idea to introduce him and have both Edward and his staff take a bow! If you are looking for a memorable meal look no further!

French Picnic 17
  • User2517573 · Recently married

Edward was hands down amazing from start to finish! After my initial phone call with him I knew Edward would make our wedding experience beyond perfect. He met with us for a tasting and even helped me decide upon a venue. He was very responsive during the planning process, meet with me at the venue a month prior and he even handled all my rentals which was extremely helpful to me. The week of the wedding he called me to check in on how I was doing and let me know everything was good on his end. The day of the wedding he made the most delicious food and all my guests were raving about it! We really wanted non traditional wedding food and he went over and beyond in making that happen. I highly recommend French Picnic to anyone looking for a perfect wedding experience! Thank you again Edward and to your staff!

Monica · Married on 10/14/2017

If you are getting married in Maine, book French Picnic. Edward is absolutely fantastic, the food was to die for, and service top notch!! Not to mention, Edward is so easy to work with and aims to please! The guests loved the family style dinner as they could try some of everything and easily take more of whatever they loved! And most importantly the value! I did lots of research on catering in Maine and no other caterer can offer you as much food, at such a high quality and style for the price Edward can. Even if you have an unlimited budget, book French Picnic!!!

Brittany · Married on 09/16/2017

I am beyond happy that we found Edward and French Picnic Catering! From day one Edward was professional, fun, efficient and kept in constant contact with us. Throughout we were amazed by how much he cared about our special day. He listened to us and truly made our day very specific to us. Edward and his team knocked it out of the park!! During cocktail hour our wedding party went to take pictures a short walk away- the servers were incredible and brought out appetizers to us- they saved us!! The food was absolutely to die for. All of the food was incredibly fresh and beautifully presented. Every single guest at our wedding asked us who our caterer was and said it was the best wedding food they have ever had. We wanted a sweetheart table and they made it happen. We wanted to make sure all of our vendors were able to eat and they went and found each vendor and served them a plate. French Picnic Catering even stayed late and cleaned up- it made a world of difference. We cannot thank them enough for an incredible job well done and making our day so worry free and wonderful!

• Kailey

Kailey · Married on 08/26/2017

Wow. Lets just start with that! I am so very impressed with French Picnic, from the delicious food to the attentive wait staff to Edward himself. The whole thing came together effortlessly and I could not have asked for anything more. It all started over a year ago when French Picnic catering service was recommended to me. I had no experience with planning events and especially no experience picking out a caterer. But I did have pressure from my family, telling me that the food at my wedding reception better be good! Jokingly, of course, but with some truth. I too wanted amazing food and I also wanted good service. I read a bunch of reviews from different catering services on different wedding websites and was left worried wondering if that was even possible, Until my husband and I met Edward for the first time. I knew that I could lay all my worries to rest, he was the right man for the job! Edward was caring, and interested, he was able to answer all of our questions and put our minds at ease. To show us his cooking ability Edward made us a meal of coconut chicken curry along with a few appetizers. While he was cooking he explained to us what he was doing, he even had us up to the stove top and was quite literally showing us the steps of cooking the curry! It was such a cool experience! The appetizers were absolutely amazing. I personally never liked tomatoes but whatever he did with the fresh tomatoes was spectacular and both my husband and I couldn't get enough! over the next year Edward kept in touch and up to date with guest numbers and other little details. I knew that the food would be the star of our wedding reception, and man was I right!! We had decided on steak and chicken for our meats, fresh vegetable plates, cold potato salad and couscous. We had dinner served “Family Style” where the food was placed on the tables and the guests help themselves to however much they would like. It felt like the food just kept coming! Every guest was totally satisfied a

Emily · Married on 07/22/2017

Edward's food was absolutely delicious. It was unique, fresh, and set the tone to make our wedding a classy but casual/convivial affair. We have a lot of foodie friends that went out of their way to comment about the food and how they loved the multiple courses - which is saying a lot given that wedding food isn't always comment worthy in my experience. People were talking about each item the next day. Every item was tasty and unique with a delicious balance of flavors and herbs. The abundance of vegetable dishes made this friendly for folks of all dietary preferences and restrictions and made for a hearty, yet light, dinner. The family style approach made the meal relaxed and fun. It truly was like a French picnic!

Edward and his staff were so friendly and accommodating. They were happy to help with dessert presentation. Edward went out of his way to lend us beverage dispensers for our Friday night open house, an indicator of his eagerness to please. The French Picnic crew was flexible and friendly, and it it is clear that Edward loves to make people happy by cooking delicious meals.

Wedding food is rarely memorable, but this was certainly an exception.

Rachel · Married on 07/15/2017

Edward and his team were amazing! There are just so many things to make note of.

First off, since I am vegetarian, we had approached him with the idea of doing a fully vegetarian wedding and he was all for it. We did a tasting and ultimately went with a pescatarian wedding after the groom tried his crab cakes and a few other of his signature dishes! I’m told the crab cakes were REALLY good.

We also had a few other restrictions, one of the bridesmaids is allergic to cow’s milk and my brother-in-law is allergic to ONIONS! Like every kind of onion; green onions, shallots, leeks, chives! We really wanted to make sure they could eat and enjoy everything. But let me tell you… because of the onion allergy my brother-in-law is the hardest person to go out to eat with, since onions are in everything! Most people/chefs don’t even know of this allergy but Edward knew it by name (an Allium Allergy)!!! He really worked around these allergies and made sure they would be able to eat the majority of the food. On the day of the wedding his staff sought them out, without having to ask us who they were, and confirmed what they could eat and the few things they couldn’t. My brother-in-law was really touched that we had given him so much consideration and that the staff had made sure he was all set. This level of initiative was really appreciated on the day of the wedding, we didn’t have to worry about anything.

Also worth mentioning, we are from just outside of NYC in Westchester County, so we know good food. We were determined to have delicious food at our wedding and we got it! The food was amazing! All the vegetables were so fresh and people still rave about the string beans with a nutless pesto! The string beans!!!

Edward and his staff worked so well with the other vendors coordinating things, that the service was seamless. Keep in mind we did not have a wedding planner, so the fact that we didn’t have to worry about a thing on our wedding day was incredible. :-)

Jen · Married on 06/04/2017

Where do we start? Edward, from the beginning was the most attentive, considerate and thorough caterer I've ever met. Our tasting started off with him making the food in front of us (even having my husband, then fiance, help out). His food was delicious and his spirit was so like our own. He loves to make people happy with food and love. Before the event, I scheduled a stop by of the venue on THE WRONG DAY! He was so very gracious about my mistake and allowed me to reschedule without so much as a peep. He was so flexible with our guest count as it went up and down. Finally the day of the wedding, Edward and his staff saw to every single solitary detail. There was not a single person at our wedding who had anything but wonderful things to say about the food. In fact, several people asked me to take them back to the kitchen to meet and rave to Edward about his food! The servers were so courteous and a pleasure to have at the event. I cannot recommend French Picnic, Edward and his team enough to EVERYONE!

Alisha · Married on 10/22/2016

It was clear to us that Edward and The French Picnic wanted our wedding to be as special as we did. We were blown away not only by his knowledge and creativity, but also his enthusiasm for what he does. The service that Edward and his team provided at the reception was incredible. They served 140 guests a family style meal with ease. Edward produced amazing dishes that were custom designed for our wedding. We had guests that reached out to us after the wedding just to tell us how impressed they were with the catering. We can't say enough good things about this company. If you are planning a wedding, i would strongly suggest you look into The French Picnic. If we had to plan our wedding all over again, they would be the very first call we'd make.

david · Married on 09/04/2016

Edward is not only an amazing chef, but also an artist with a special ease about him. We planned a rushed wedding long distance and he provided everything we could have dreamed of and more. An absolute pleasure. Excellent food, excellent service!

Maxine · Married on 10/10/2015

My husband and I were married October 10, 2015 on Long Island, Maine. Edward Bondellio (The French Picnic) catered our wedding, and went above and beyond our expections in more ways than one. He provided a taste testing of our menu, rented our linens, flatware, serving dishes etc... He was extensively knowledgeable about wine and beer pairings that would go best
    with our dishes. On our special day, the food was dynamic and airomatic from dish to dish. We could not have selected a more dependable, caring and loving chef for our special day. Edward's love and support for us was throughly exemplified in his culinary work, and we would recommend him to anyone looking for a caterer for a special event.

Susan · Married on 08/09/2014

From the very first phone call to the end of the evening send off (with a picture of the bride and Edward as testimony) Edward and French Picnic exceeded our expectations. Edward is the consummate communicator-clear in his vision, capabilities and experience and yet listened really well, intuited what we wanted and very timely responded to every inquiry. The staff were very happy and professional-real people-that juggled so many things so well-they were part of the team and had the perfect blend of being there when we needed them and not in the mix when it was not necessary. The food was out of this world-so beautifully prepared, so delicious and so much! Many, many guests remarked that it was the best food they had ever had at a wedding and most remarked on the beets and the steak! We would use French Picnic again in a heartbeat-Edward and his team are such high quality people and professionals, it makes you wish you could hang out with them on a regular basis!

Ally · Married on 08/05/2017

Edward and French Picnic created a magical menu for our summer wedding! We loved the idea of family style courses, and they proved to be a fantastic way to sit around the table enjoying good food and good company. Our guests raved about the food to us all night. Thanks, Edward and team!

Jennifer · Married on 10/28/2017

3.5

Go for it! Edward was more than accommodating and the food is divine. We haven't had our wedding yet, but after the tasting we are so happy to have him working with us.

Lily · Married on 09/23/2017

Edward and his team were amazing! We had such a great time working with him as we planned our wedding. On the day of the wedding everything was perfect. They did a wonderful job setting the tables, the food was beautifully presented, and everything was fresh and delicious. They were so accommodating to a few guests that had special requests. Plus, they all seemed to be having a really great time working with each other and interacting with guests. We truly loved our experience with French Picnic!