French Picnic Reviews

French Picnic 5
French Picnic 6
French Picnic 7

Danielle · Married on 09/21/2019

We're still getting compliments on the food!

Wedding planning can be really overwhelming! One of the best decisions me and my husband made was hiring Edward from French Picnic Catering for our September wedding with 150 guests. The food is absolutely the best. We’re still getting compliments on the different dishes weeks after the wedding. The staff is attentive, genuine and will go over and above to make your day great. Lastly, Edward is truly wonderful. From the start, his attitude was positive, relaxed and you can tell how much he really does care about having only the best for your day. He was also very accommodating and provided a vegan option for me and a few of my guests. Thanks to Edward and his staff, everyone had an amazing dining experience at our wedding!

Sent on 10/06/2019
    French Picnic 8
    French Picnic 9

Caitlin M · Married on 09/14/2019

Fantastic catering and more

Edward and his team are outstanding from start to finish - the food is fantastic, from delicious passed hors d'oeuvres to a real feast come dinner time. But they really shine in their friendliness and professionalism. We had a DIY wedding on our lawn and they made it feel like Michelin service. The choreography and quality is really outstanding.

Sent on 10/06/2019
  • Anna

Anna Groman · Married on 08/24/2019

Incredible!!!

We contacted several catering companies before my dad heard about French Picnic and thank goodness he did! Edward was such a joy to work with. From the moment we reached out all the way till the wedding he was in touch answering any questions we had. Since my husband and I live in Colorado, he offered my parents a tasting which they loved. He helped us plan a family style menu that our guests cannot stop talking about. French Picnic really is a one-stop-shop where Edward will think of everything. The appetizers were phenomenal as were the mains and he even had coffee service for us.

If there is one thing you need to try before you die, it is the steak! It was cooked to absolute perfection and it is the thing of dreams. Edward and his team make you feel like part of the family! Thank you so much for being so kind and for creating the tastiest dishes! 10/10 would recommend.

Sent on 09/18/2019
    French Picnic 14
    French Picnic 15

Susan M. Brown · Married on 07/20/2019

Susan M Brown

French Picnic catered my cousin's wedding at Bailey Island Library Hall on July 20, 2019. The vegetables, meats, fruit and cheeses were all exceptionally good. The food was served family style with dishes to pass around the table. The servers were attentive and friendly. I usually dont remember the food served at weddings but this is wedding was the exception. If I were in need of a caterer I would definitely hire French Picnic. Since I was just a guest at this wedding, I cant speak to the value for the cost, but my cousin was very happy, so that counts for something. The staff also made sure we had bottles of wine and champagne on our table and they also distributed water bottles later on.

Sent on 07/20/2019

Rachel · Married on 07/20/2019

Excellent and delicious

Edward and his team were professional and friendly. The food was delicious and amazing and we still have people raving to this day. Many thanks to French Picnic. Can’t go wrong.

Sent on 10/04/2019
    French Picnic 16
    French Picnic 17
    French Picnic 18
  • Casey

Laura · Married on 07/13/2019

Above and beyond, would choose French Picnic again and again

French Picnic was better than we even could have imagined for our wedding! From day 1 with the tasting Edward was so easy and fun to work with. Every single thing, from the passed apps through 2 full dinner courses, was absolutely delicious and we loved that it was also seasonal and fresh for our July wedding. We had read a number of reviews from others saying that their guests still bring up how wonderful the food was, and now we are living that too. Months later, our guests are still talking about the amazing food at our wedding.

In addition to Edward being a delight to work with and the food being outstanding, the pricing was also extremely reasonable, a great deal for a high quality of service. Given the opportunity to plan another big event, I would honestly choose French Picnic every single time!

Sent on 10/21/2019
    French Picnic 25
  • Kristin

Kristin · Married on 06/22/2019

Best Food Ever

I cannot say enough great things about Edward and his team at the French Picnic. We were BLOWN away by the food. My guests constantly tell me it was the best food they've ever had. I am truly honored that we had the French Picnic team a part of our big day. You never know what you are going to get when choosing vendors - I am here to tell you, you will NOT regret choosing this crew. Edward is a food genius! Make sure you get a to go bride and groom plate so you don't miss out while chatting with your guests!

Sent on 08/04/2019

alicia · Married on 06/08/2019

Unbelievable food, incredible experience.

The food was our #1 priority for our June wedding. Edward made the entire experience so easy. We felt like we were priority number 1 and that he really understood the vibe we were going for. The process and pricing was extremely straightforward. French Picnic really shines if you let Edward take the reigns a bit and you follow his food suggestions. You will not be disappointed. Guests were very impressed by our 3 course dinner (everyone had a favorite dish including some pickier family members and foodie friends). Service was impeccable and his team was amazing. They brought super positive energy: It was obvious they really love what they do and like to have a good time doing it. Do not hesitate to hire Edward and his French Picnic team.

Sent on 10/01/2019
  • Dani

Dani Leblanc · Married on 06/04/2019

French Picnic made our wedding so delicious and perfect!

I could not more highly recommend Edward and his staff from French Picnic. Our wedding was unbelievably meaningful and perfect, and that was because Ed created the most beautiful meal, served hot to 200 guests who are still raving about how delicious it all was. From our first phone call, we knew we had found someone special. Ed is so warm and professional, and set us all at ease during what can be a stressful, though exciting time. He worked closely with our family, accommodated our dietary needs, visited our venue several times to prepare, and sourced local and fresh ingredients to create the most memorable meal. Tender steak! Slow roasted tomatoes! Lemony asparagus! Juicy chicken! Polenta and shrimp! I still dream about that lovely dinner. On the big day, it all seemed so effortless. Our wedding was decadent beyond our dreams, but still very much well within a reasonable budget. Ed worked with us to create something amazing. We had plenty of foodies in attendance that night who are still raving that it was the best wedding food they've ever had, and I have to agree. Do yourselves a favor and give French Picnic a call!

Sent on 04/20/2019
    French Picnic 26
    French Picnic 27

Mary · Married on 01/19/2019

Ed and French Picnic Catering

Ed from French Picnic Catering was the only vender who wanted to talk to us personally on the phone before we began the decision process to choose a caterer for our daughters wedding. From the moment we first talked to Ed, he was like talking to a family member in regards to all the things we wanted to do to make the wedding special. Upon meeting Ed in person at the food tasting and the following meetings at the venue, we couldn't ask for a better planning partner. By far, the best decision we made on trusting and choosing Ed for the menu and all the details. With his professional warm and caring personality, Ed far exceeded our expectations. The food was hot, fresh, delicious, and plenty of it! Family style worked so well at this venue for our 200 family members and friends. The staff were timely, efficient, pleasant and made all our guests feel at home. Our guests raved about the presentation of how lovely the tables were set and how declicious, fresh and plentiful the food was. We would highly reccomend Ed from French Picnic and his staff to choose for your special occasion. Most importantly keeping us at ease throughout the process. Hands down to Ed and French Picnic Catering for an amazing, personal, wonderful and exceptional experience!

Sent on 05/16/2019

Elizabeth Farrell · Married on 09/22/2018

The absolute best.

From the very first point of contact, Edward was extremely professional. We decided to go with him after the tasting, we only had to try a few dishes before we knew we definitely wanted to go with him — everything was amazing and the presentation was beautiful. You can tell how much Edward cares about freshness, taste, and the overall dining experience. We were concerned due some allergies in the family, and Edward and his team were extremely meticulous in ensuring all allergies were taken into consiration and made accommodations accordingly. You can tell that Edward and his team put their heart and soul into the preparation and delivery of each piece of food, everything was absolutely delicious, it’s been a month since the wedding and people are still raving about the food... thank you so much Edward for being such an integral part of my big day and helping create an overall experience that is truly unforgettable. Highly recommend Edward and his amazing team! ❤️

Sent on 10/15/2018

Rachel · Married on 09/08/2018

French Picnic was by far my favorite vendor at our wedding. Edward and his team cook amazing food! We did a tasting with Edward when first hiring him, and my father, who fancies himself a good cook, could not stop raving about how great the food was. We couldn't wait for the actual wedding. Our guests have not stopped raving about how amazing the meal was, and how much food there was! We've even had people ask if Edward has a restaurant so they can eat his food on their own. Not only was the food delicious and abundant, but the price was extremely competitive. I am so incredibly happy we hired Edward, and would recommend him to anyone planning a wedding.

Sent on 09/25/2018

Lisa · Married on 08/11/2018

We hired French Picnic to cater our wedding at our home in South Portland and they did a brilliant job. For reference, the whole wedding was supposed to take place outside in our back yard, but the skies opened up on the morning of the event. Edward and his team set up our dining room for forty guests in no time, preparing their cooking area under pop-up tents on the porch while we turned the living room into a tiny chapel. The waitstaff were incredible, somehow managing to make sure that everyone in the cramped, happy space got to try all of the amazing appetizers. They went above and beyond to wrap up everything for us afterward and cleared the floor in what felt like minutes so that we could turn the dining room back into a dance floor! The food was amazing, everything simple and elegant with perfect quality ingredients and usually some twist that left my guests asking for the recipe (the haddock, you guys). If they could work this kind of sorcery for my wedding, which had the absolute least amount of planning that you can have and technically still call it a wedding, imagine what they could do for yours. Thank you guys for rolling with everything and helping make our day so special!

Sent on 08/31/2018

Brenda · Married on 08/04/2018

In November, 2017 we began the search for a caterer for an August, wedding to be held at our cabin on a lovely lake in the Rangeley area. We are a family that appreciates superior food. We forage farmer's markets for the tiniest green beans and perfect raspberries. We argue about cooking technique. In short, selection of the right caterer for a family wedding was no small matter. I scheduled a tasting with Edward, owner of the French Picnic, in December, 2017...and I was absolutely blown away by both the aesthetic beauty and fabulous taste of the dishes he prepared. The salad of golden and red beets was gorgeous. The Thai coconut curry-sauced fish was exquisite. Literally everything was wonderful. I took home leftovers for my husband. He ate every morsel and said, "Look no further! This is the perfect caterer. " I agreed but cautioned my husband that cooking a fabulous feast for ONE PERSON at a tasting is easy....cooking for the 100 people we expected at the wedding? Hard. We could not expect such quality for a crowd, particularly in our decidedly remote location.

Well, I was wrong. On so many levels: First, 140 invitees accepted...not the 100 we had expected. Edward did not blink. No problem. And the food? Well, I can only say that guest after guest came to us during and after the wedding to say that the food served by the French Picnic was unquestionably the best wedding food they ever ate. They compared the meal to the finest restaurant cuisine in top restaurants around the world. This was a picky crowd. Many professional athletes with various dietary restrictions. Guests from New York City and San Francisco who have dined at Per Se, the French Laundry, Chez Panisse. They were boggled. By the variety, the quality, the sheer awesomeness and beauty of the food. My heart is grateful. The food was worthy of the best possible family celebration. Thank you, Edward and Staff. You made a memorable day even more memorable. Fabulous!

Sent on 08/14/2018

Kristin · Married on 07/28/2018

The food at my wedding was out-of-this-world. One of the best meals I have ever had in my life. Fresh, flavorful, and filling. Many of my guests still rave about it to this day (many of which are very hard to please). On top of that, Edward was a pleasure to work with and his staff was professional and friendly. Highly recommended. Thank you, Edward!!

Sent on 10/06/2018
    French Picnic 28
    French Picnic 29
    French Picnic 30
    French Picnic 31
    French Picnic 32
    French Picnic 33

V · Married on 07/14/2018

French Picnic was the BEST wedding decision we made. I had several people come up to me to share it was not only some of the best wedding food they had but some of the best food period. The whole family style is awesome and different, makes the meal part of the celebration vs a time out from it like most wedding dinners. The cost was very competitive which is insane considering the taste and delivery are so far above average. Edward was just fun to work with too, makes such a difference day of. If you are reading this, book them and then invite us to your wedding so we can eat it again please!!!

Sent on 08/04/2018
    French Picnic 34
    French Picnic 35
    French Picnic 36

Elaine · Married on 06/09/2018

Holy moly. We can not say enough how amazing Edward and French Picnic were. The food was divine, the staff incredible and kind, Edward is such a genuinely kind and wonderful person to work with, and we heard nothing but good things from all of our guests. What more could you want? His staff made sure that my husband and I had the chance to eat some of the incredible appetizers by bringing them out specifically for us and always made sure that we had enough to eat. That's right! We actually got to eat on our wedding day! :) Everyone worked so hard and helped to set up all of the tables so that they looked absolutely stunning. Edward was such a great person to have on our team and I just know that he is going to be so successful in the future. Book him now! You won't regret it and your guests won't be able to stop talking about the INCREDIBLE food.

Sent on 06/20/2018

Madison · Married on 05/05/2018

Far and away the BEST decision we made for our wedding was hiring Edward/French Picnic Catering. From the get go Edward was so relaxed, laid back, and yet quick to answer all of my questions and address my concerns. My than fiance and I had a tasting with him in Portland and COULD NOT BELIEVE this was the food that was going to be served at our wedding. It was delicious, unique, and yet inherently food that all people are drawn to and enjoy. How he combines all of that together in his dishes I will never know but it is not a talent every chef possess. This was proven to me even further when guests were basically waiting at the door during cocktail hour for Edward's servers to come in with the 4 appetizers he prepared. My guests were raving! For dinner I knew I wanted to avoid a buffet but was very nervous from the get go about having a meal served family style as Edward suggested. I was concerned guests would be confused, that dinner would take forever, or of the 3 COURSES (That's right 3 full meals) guests wouldn't like enough of the food to eat it all. Edward assured me with his experience and that the meal would take place like a perfect synchronized dance. I have never been so happy to be proven wrong. The day of the wedding everything flowed so beautifully. The servers came out and delivered the main dish and sides at each table with efficiency and poise. They cleared when needed and answered all of my guests questions. We ended up serving a chicken dish, fish dish, and steak dish and EVERYTHING was enjoyed and eaten. Again, this just speaks to Edward and his ability to serve delicious and likable food for a wide audience. My husband and I were making our rounds talking with everyone and people could not stop saying it was the best meal they had at a wedding ever! So many people asked me about Edward and his company it was my husbands idea to introduce him and have both Edward and his staff take a bow! If you are looking for a memorable meal look no further!

Sent on 05/14/2018
    French Picnic 37
  • User2517573 · 1+ year ago

Edward was hands down amazing from start to finish! After my initial phone call with him I knew Edward would make our wedding experience beyond perfect. He met with us for a tasting and even helped me decide upon a venue. He was very responsive during the planning process, meet with me at the venue a month prior and he even handled all my rentals which was extremely helpful to me. The week of the wedding he called me to check in on how I was doing and let me know everything was good on his end. The day of the wedding he made the most delicious food and all my guests were raving about it! We really wanted non traditional wedding food and he went over and beyond in making that happen. I highly recommend French Picnic to anyone looking for a perfect wedding experience! Thank you again Edward and to your staff!

Sent on 02/22/2018

Monica · Married on 10/14/2017

If you are getting married in Maine, book French Picnic. Edward is absolutely fantastic, the food was to die for, and service top notch!! Not to mention, Edward is so easy to work with and aims to please! The guests loved the family style dinner as they could try some of everything and easily take more of whatever they loved! And most importantly the value! I did lots of research on catering in Maine and no other caterer can offer you as much food, at such a high quality and style for the price Edward can. Even if you have an unlimited budget, book French Picnic!!!

Sent on 10/28/2017

Brittany · Married on 09/16/2017

I am beyond happy that we found Edward and French Picnic Catering! From day one Edward was professional, fun, efficient and kept in constant contact with us. Throughout we were amazed by how much he cared about our special day. He listened to us and truly made our day very specific to us. Edward and his team knocked it out of the park!! During cocktail hour our wedding party went to take pictures a short walk away- the servers were incredible and brought out appetizers to us- they saved us!! The food was absolutely to die for. All of the food was incredibly fresh and beautifully presented. Every single guest at our wedding asked us who our caterer was and said it was the best wedding food they have ever had. We wanted a sweetheart table and they made it happen. We wanted to make sure all of our vendors were able to eat and they went and found each vendor and served them a plate. French Picnic Catering even stayed late and cleaned up- it made a world of difference. We cannot thank them enough for an incredible job well done and making our day so worry free and wonderful!

Sent on 09/28/2017
  • Kailey

Kailey · Married on 08/26/2017

Wow. Lets just start with that! I am so very impressed with French Picnic, from the delicious food to the attentive wait staff to Edward himself. The whole thing came together effortlessly and I could not have asked for anything more. It all started over a year ago when French Picnic catering service was recommended to me. I had no experience with planning events and especially no experience picking out a caterer. But I did have pressure from my family, telling me that the food at my wedding reception better be good! Jokingly, of course, but with some truth. I too wanted amazing food and I also wanted good service. I read a bunch of reviews from different catering services on different wedding websites and was left worried wondering if that was even possible, Until my husband and I met Edward for the first time. I knew that I could lay all my worries to rest, he was the right man for the job! Edward was caring, and interested, he was able to answer all of our questions and put our minds at ease. To show us his cooking ability Edward made us a meal of coconut chicken curry along with a few appetizers. While he was cooking he explained to us what he was doing, he even had us up to the stove top and was quite literally showing us the steps of cooking the curry! It was such a cool experience! The appetizers were absolutely amazing. I personally never liked tomatoes but whatever he did with the fresh tomatoes was spectacular and both my husband and I couldn't get enough! over the next year Edward kept in touch and up to date with guest numbers and other little details. I knew that the food would be the star of our wedding reception, and man was I right!! We had decided on steak and chicken for our meats, fresh vegetable plates, cold potato salad and couscous. We had dinner served “Family Style” where the food was placed on the tables and the guests help themselves to however much they would like. It felt like the food just kept coming! Every guest was totally satisfied a

Sent on 09/02/2017

Emily · Married on 07/22/2017

Edward's food was absolutely delicious. It was unique, fresh, and set the tone to make our wedding a classy but casual/convivial affair. We have a lot of foodie friends that went out of their way to comment about the food and how they loved the multiple courses - which is saying a lot given that wedding food isn't always comment worthy in my experience. People were talking about each item the next day. Every item was tasty and unique with a delicious balance of flavors and herbs. The abundance of vegetable dishes made this friendly for folks of all dietary preferences and restrictions and made for a hearty, yet light, dinner. The family style approach made the meal relaxed and fun. It truly was like a French picnic!

Edward and his staff were so friendly and accommodating. They were happy to help with dessert presentation. Edward went out of his way to lend us beverage dispensers for our Friday night open house, an indicator of his eagerness to please. The French Picnic crew was flexible and friendly, and it it is clear that Edward loves to make people happy by cooking delicious meals.

Wedding food is rarely memorable, but this was certainly an exception.

Sent on 07/24/2017

Rachel · Married on 07/15/2017

Edward and his team were amazing! There are just so many things to make note of.

First off, since I am vegetarian, we had approached him with the idea of doing a fully vegetarian wedding and he was all for it. We did a tasting and ultimately went with a pescatarian wedding after the groom tried his crab cakes and a few other of his signature dishes! I’m told the crab cakes were REALLY good.

We also had a few other restrictions, one of the bridesmaids is allergic to cow’s milk and my brother-in-law is allergic to ONIONS! Like every kind of onion; green onions, shallots, leeks, chives! We really wanted to make sure they could eat and enjoy everything. But let me tell you… because of the onion allergy my brother-in-law is the hardest person to go out to eat with, since onions are in everything! Most people/chefs don’t even know of this allergy but Edward knew it by name (an Allium Allergy)!!! He really worked around these allergies and made sure they would be able to eat the majority of the food. On the day of the wedding his staff sought them out, without having to ask us who they were, and confirmed what they could eat and the few things they couldn’t. My brother-in-law was really touched that we had given him so much consideration and that the staff had made sure he was all set. This level of initiative was really appreciated on the day of the wedding, we didn’t have to worry about anything.

Also worth mentioning, we are from just outside of NYC in Westchester County, so we know good food. We were determined to have delicious food at our wedding and we got it! The food was amazing! All the vegetables were so fresh and people still rave about the string beans with a nutless pesto! The string beans!!!

Edward and his staff worked so well with the other vendors coordinating things, that the service was seamless. Keep in mind we did not have a wedding planner, so the fact that we didn’t have to worry about a thing on our wedding day was incredible. :-)

Sent on 05/05/2018

Jen · Married on 06/04/2017

Where do we start? Edward, from the beginning was the most attentive, considerate and thorough caterer I've ever met. Our tasting started off with him making the food in front of us (even having my husband, then fiance, help out). His food was delicious and his spirit was so like our own. He loves to make people happy with food and love. Before the event, I scheduled a stop by of the venue on THE WRONG DAY! He was so very gracious about my mistake and allowed me to reschedule without so much as a peep. He was so flexible with our guest count as it went up and down. Finally the day of the wedding, Edward and his staff saw to every single solitary detail. There was not a single person at our wedding who had anything but wonderful things to say about the food. In fact, several people asked me to take them back to the kitchen to meet and rave to Edward about his food! The servers were so courteous and a pleasure to have at the event. I cannot recommend French Picnic, Edward and his team enough to EVERYONE!

Sent on 06/07/2017