Carl Ray Makeup Artist Reviews

123 | Washington, DC

123 Reviews for Carl Ray Makeup Artist

Hana Haile-Mariam · Married on 11/03/2018

Magic touch!

Carl is fabulous at what he does. I think people skimp out the most on make-up because the cost of a wedding can really add up and brides think they can fix it up themselves (big mistake!), but in all honesty, you get what you pay for - and Carl is worth every single penny.

Carl requires you to do a bridal trial which is really nice because then on the day of the wedding everything runs seamlessly. Carl did my bridal make-up as well as 5 other people in my wedding party and everyone looked amazing. He is so calm and easy to work with - he fit right in with the crowd and even put a little eyeshadow on my niece and flower girl who was watching him with adoration (so sweet, it made her day !)

I don't wear a lot of make-up, so natural glam was really what I was looking for and he hit the nail right on the head. I was so happy to have him on my wedding weekend and I couldn't recommend him more - he has the magic touch !

Sent on 11/12/2018

Carl Ray Makeup Artist's reply:

Hi Hana!
    Thank you so much. You and and your bridal party were a dream to work with❣️
    Stay in touch!!

Guisela · Married on 10/27/2018

He's the BEST!

Love Carl from the minute my daughter and I met him! Carl did my daughter's make-up for her Bridal Shower and both of us for her Wedding day. He is truly talented and we were lucky that he was available for this very special day. The make-up was impeccable beauty! He has a very calming energy and wonderful person, We loved working with him and hope to work with him again! Thank you Carl!!

Sent on 01/09/2019
  • Nina

Nina · Married on 10/20/2018

Absolutely amazing

He is SO talented! Beautiful work, I loved my wedding makeup!

Sent on 11/30/2018
  • Lea

Lea · Married on 09/29/2018

Fantastic!

Carly Ray is professional, experienced and has an eye for beauty. He was worth every penny and made me look and feel exceptional on my wedding day. It was great that I had done the bridal trial with him several months in advance so we could perfect my look on the big day. He made the bridal party look their best as well. I highly recommend him and his services - he truly is the best in the business.

Sent on 10/16/2018

Martha · Married on 09/15/2018

Wedding makeup

Carl was profession, cool, calm and collected. He listens and executes with precision. Second time he’s done makeup for me, first as a bridesmaid and then as a bride, and both times he’s been amazing and consistent!!

Sent on 12/05/2018

Madison Weinstein · Married on 05/12/2018

Without a doubt - the best.

Carl did my makeup for my engagement party, rehearsal dinner and wedding (along with my family and fake bridesmaids). He is magic. No words to describe how beautiful he not only makes you look, but feel.

Sent on 12/06/2018

Danielle · Married on 02/24/2018

Carl is the best- you can not find anyone better! He is so fun to be around and he will make you feel your best on your wedding day. Not only did he make me feel amazing, all of my bridesmaids were in love with their makeup and were raving about it all night long. My makeup stayed in place throughout the ceremony and reception, even when I had a couple of tears at the altar. There is no better than Carl and he will make you feel like a dream as you walk down the aisle!

Sent on 03/15/2018

Kimberly Parker · Married on 02/17/2018

Carl has done my makeup for several special events.

Carl is a makeup genius! He can make anyone look gorgeous and has the perfect touch for the specific event. Plus, he's easy to work with.

Sent on 12/06/2018

R · Married on 10/07/2017

Carl was fantastic to work with and a great start to my wedding day! He's friendly, fun, and extremely good at what he does. My makeup turned out exactly the way I wanted it, stayed on all day and night, and looked stunning in our photos!

Sent on 12/20/2017

Chrissy · Married on 09/16/2017

Carl is the best of the best when it comes to makeup! I am so glad (and lucky) he was available to help me get ready on my wedding day- and I have never felt so beautiful! From the trial to the Big Day he made the entire experience so exciting and so easy. Carl took his time with everyone, and brought out our best features (everyone was glowing). Not only is he incredibly talented- he is also an amazing person: calm, funny, honest, professional and polite. I wish he could do my makeup everyday! Book him early and get excited! :)

Sent on 12/13/2017

Tanya · Married on 09/16/2017

Carl Ray is phenomenal. He knew the perfect colors and application for me. I am very pleased. Thank you!

Sent on 01/03/2018

Nikki · Married on 09/02/2017

I have nothing but kind words for Carl Ray. I had be traveling for a few months leading up to my wedding on Sept. 2, 2017 in Washington, D.C. and I did not have time for a make up or hair trial. I had read so many great reviews about Carl that I didn't hesitate to book him when I saw that he had an opening on my wedding day. I didn't even have any direction for him - just that I wanted to be beautiful for my wedding day. I don't often wear make up but I felt so incredible after Carl worked his magic. I would find it hard to believe that there's anyone better than Carl in DC.

Sent on 09/06/2017

Beth · Married on 07/15/2017

I had a wonderful experience with Carl as my makeup artist. Professional, but fun, and oh yea, my sister, my mother, and I looked gorgeous after he worked his magic!

Sent on 12/14/2017
  • Nafiseh

Nafiseh · Married on 06/04/2017

I asked Carl to do my makeup for my wedding and he did an amazing job! The makeup looked perfect and lasted all day long, even during a (sweaty) afternoon photo session outside in the sun. I cried while dancing with my father and the makeup stayed exactly how he left it.

Carl has a very calm and relaxed personality, which is exactly what you will want on your wedding day. He made me feel so comfortable while applying the makeup that I told Carl I could practically fall asleep. He was also really accommodating during the consultation when picking out the style I wanted. I cannot recommend Carl enough, he is fantastic.

Sent on 06/08/2017
  • I

Iwen · Married on 05/27/2017

Carl did such an amazing job with my makeup for my wedding. I'm the type that typically does not wear makeup and usually freaks out every time I've had a makeup artist do any kind of work on my face. Carl was incredible, he knew exactly what would work for me and made the makeup look natural and pretty. It's always amazing to watch someone who's clearly so good at what they do and it was reassuring to know that I was in good hands. Carl is truly an artist and my makeup looked great the entire day even with some rainy spells. I would recommend Carl Ray in a heartbeat. He is the sweetest person to work with, incredibly patient, and so talented.

Sent on 05/31/2017

Elizabeth · Married on 05/27/2017

Carl is a consummate professional. My make-up was absolutely stunning and lasted all day and into the night. I could have not asked for a better team to help my bridesmaids and me.

Sent on 12/07/2017

Shawn · Married on 05/27/2017

Carl Ray is the bomb! He is the total package: timely, calm, talented, personal, empathetic, discreet. creative, and just a great guy. You cannot do better, it was an honor to have him care for my daughter and her wedding party on this most special of days. He is FABULOUS! Thank you Carl...

Sent on 12/07/2017

Kasia · Married on 05/06/2017

Carl is unbelievable! He was so timely and professional, extremely talented, and charming! He was able to travel to the hotel and work in our room which was awesome. He made the day so fun and so easy for me and my bridesmaids. He made each person feel beautiful and look fantastic! I would HIGHLY recommend him as the best choice for your special day.

Sent on 05/12/2017
  • Y

Yasmin · Married on 05/05/2017

I LOVE CARL. I love his assistant Natalie too : ) he is THE BEST in town. I live in NYC and had trials with many for my bridal makeup and he continues to outshine the rest. He's patient, waits for late bridesmaids and Mothers (lol), is calming when you're NOT and helps your day to be a little more pleasant : ) And if thats not enough, his personality is awesome and he's all around a great human : ) So happy to know you Carl!! Thank you so so much!!! xoxo

Sent on 07/10/2017

S · Married on 04/22/2017

I was so lucky that Carl had availability for my wedding day!!! I had read his glowing reviews and was so excited that he could fit me in despite his other bookings. Carl is unbelievably talented! I generally don't wear make-up -- at most a few dabs of concealer and a touch of lipstick. Since I have never had my make-up done professionally I was a little anxious about the whole process and worried about an unnatural look. I was so pleased -- stunned actually --by the results!!!! (Eye grocery bags disappeared!!! Cheekbones, where have you been all my life?!!!)

Carl basically turns you into the Disney Princess version of yourself! He does make-up in a way that truly accentuates natural beauty. When you look in the mirror, you will see your best-self looking back! The look Carl created for me was so gentle, soft, pretty and romantic. I received so many compliments on my make-up, and it looked just stunning in photos.

I strongly recommend a make-up trial first -- doing so will ensure your comfort with the process and the final look. Also, don't worry if the make-up feels or looks a little heavy right after Carl applies it; it will settle onto your skin after 30 minutes to an hour and then your skin will just glow! Finally, if you are a private person (like me) and don't want your name/photos posted anywhere, Carl and the salon will totally respect your wishes! You will not regret working with Carl! Have fun!

Sent on 05/10/2017

Sarah · Married on 03/26/2017

I was so lucky to have Carl Ray and his amazing makeup artistry for both my bridal trial and my wedding day. He has a talent that is beyond words. I was so thrilled with my makeup. I had truly never seen myself look so naturally beautiful and radiant. I received so many compliments all night long at my wedding about how wonderful my makeup looked. Beyond Carl Ray’s amazing skills, he was so very genuine in his interactions with me. I was made to feel like I was his only client and the most important bride. It was so easy to work with him, schedule appointments and handle the whole process of my bridal makeup. I highly recommend Carl. He is worth every penny and more.

Sent on 05/13/2017

Veronica · Married on 12/03/2016

As soon as I had a wedding date with our church, I booked with Carl - before I had a venue, a florist, a planner, anything else!!! I had my trial on my birthday and it was perfect - exactly what I envisioned and wanted. It turned out that my wedding was actually on his birthday and he still came to my hotel. My best friend and I looked absolutely gorgeous. If you love the art of makeup, he is a must-have for your big day.

I found out about Carl through Instagram (@carlraymua) and his work speaks for itself! There is no one else in DC who I would trust with my face on the biggest day of my life.

Working with him was a true delight and I can't wait to treat myself to a visit to see him at the salon for future special occasions. Love him!!!

Sent on 05/13/2017

Carl was an absolute pleasure to work with! He was by my side the entire day and made sure that all of our pictures were perfect!!! I would recommend him to anyone and everyone I know! He made me feel like an absolute princess on my wedding day!!!

Sent on 11/21/2016

Tracy · Married on 10/15/2016

In short, Carl Ray is the BEST makeup artist a bride could dream of. In addition to being incredibly talented, Carl listens to his bride/clients, asks all the right questions about the big day (colors, lighting, settings, etc.) in order to help you achieve the exact look you want. Additionally, Carl is an incredibly calming person. With his incredible portfolio, I expected him to be very intimidating but it was the complete opposite. I was pretty anxious on the morning of my wedding and as soon as he was there, I relaxed. His prices may be higher than others in the market but he is worth every penny. The only drawback is that he is in high demand, so book early. When I tried to book him 10 months before my wedding, he was booked but I called back a couple of times and he wound up having a cancellation. I am looking forward to my next fancy event so I can hire him to do my makeup again!

Sent on 05/19/2017