Black Swan Events Reviews

Black Swan Events 5
  • Tulsee

Tulsee Doshi · Married on 07/05/2019

Expertise and efficiency!

Gabrielle Dowding and Black Swan Events were crucial to our wedding planning and execution process. Gabrielle has so much energy, and she leverages that energy to drive many intertwined pieces of the wedding planning process. I appreciated her attention and availability every step of the way. I never realized how many details go into planning a single event, or even a single moment, of the wedding. Gabrielle’s expertise, skill, and efficiency led us to identify all the pieces we needed to make the wedding such a beautiful and everlasting memory.

Sent on 08/20/2019

Black Swan Events's reply:

500 guests from 3 different continents, representing 8 cultures, over 6 days, celebrating one love.
    Your ability to interweave centuries of Jain traditions with your style and vibrancy was incredible.
    Your families were a joy to work with.
    Thank you entrusting Black Swan with your dream wedding.
    Gabrielle

Tayler Barnett · Married on 09/29/2018

Gabrielle is one of the most wonderful people I have ever met. She is easy to work with and had an enormous amount of knowledge about the industry.

Planning my wedding in less than 4 months was a breeze thanks to Gabrielle. She is quick on her feet, very articulate and easy to work with. My happiest day was bliss because of her amazing work. I had not a single worry in the world that day.

Black Swan Events 6
    Black Swan Events 7
    Black Swan Events 8
    Black Swan Events 9
    Sent on 12/01/2018
  • Katie

Katie · Married on 09/15/2018

A wealth of experience- everything you could ask for in a wedding planner!

Gabrielle of Black Swan Events is the wedding planner of your dreams!

She’s not only incredible at managing every technical detail of your big day - she is emapathetic and an incredible manager of people (from vendors to in-laws). She has the ability to anticipate everyone’s needs, especially those of the couple.

Our wedding was a two-day affair, complete with multiple event sites and an overnight camp-out. When I first started planning, I was so overwhelmed and stressed out, I didn’t think I was going to be able to do it all.

Once I had Gabrielle in my corner, all those worries disappeared, and all I had to do was look forward to getting married! Every bride should be so lucky! Book her while you can - her schedule fills up fast!

Black Swan Events 10
    Black Swan Events 11
    Black Swan Events 12
    Sent on 11/23/2018

Mira · Married on 07/15/2018

My wedding was this July 2018. At first, I thought I could do it all on my own, trying to keep things as simple and minimal as possible, while still trying to make it a special day. Gradually, thinking about all of the details, keeping track of everything, stressing about what I might be forgetting about....everything became so overwhelming! Gabrielle was the wedding planner for my sister 4 years ago, she did an amazing job with a huge 400 guestlist, 4 day Indian wedding extravaganza. Though my wedding was MUCH smaller, planning it myself was making it a day I was dreading. That's when I knew I needed help, and Gabrielle is the only planner I would trust. The day was one of the happiest of my life, it went seamlessly and that is all thanks to this amazing woman! I highly recommend her!

Sent on 09/12/2018

Thank you Mira!@
    What made your and Clay's wedding so special was that your personality flowed through every detail. Thank you for entrusting Black Swan with your day!

Ann-Marie Blix · Married on 07/01/2018

Black Swan Events Is Simply the Best

I have hired Black Swan Events for several private and corporate events. Without fail Gabrielle turns an average occasion in to a very memorable event both on time and on budget. She brings to the table unique ideas, decades of deep industry contacts and expertise and an attention to logistical detail that allows me to relax and have fun knowing she is in charge. I will never stop using her for my most important family milestone events. Bravo Black Swan!

Black Swan Events 13
    Sent on 12/21/2018

Black Swan Events's reply:

AnneMarie, thank you so much!
    Your family and friends are such a pleasure to work with.
    Many entertain.
    You understand the art of hospitality.

Varun · Married on 05/26/2018

Gabrielle is the best!

We were planning a 300 person Indian Fusion wedding with multiple events in Portland, but we were living across the country in Boston. It is fair to say that it would not have been possible to plan our wedding with Gabrielle's sage advice and expert assistance. She saved us so much time by arranging all our visits with potential vendors, knowing which vendors to recommend in the first place, and already having well established connections with everyone we worked with so that everything ran smoothly without us having to think about any details. I can't even imagine how much more work all of this would have been without her invaluable expertise. The day of the wedding, I trusted Gabrielle so much, I knew I didn't have to worry about any logistics and I could focus on enjoying the day. That is a huge gift, and I couldn't recommend her more highly. Do yourself a favor and hire Gabrielle. She's worth every penny.

Sent on 11/25/2018

Varun Pattani · Married on 05/26/2018

Great wedding team and flawless execution

Gabrielle Dowding and Black Swan were amazing during our wedding. We had complicated fusion wedding spanning couple of days including Sangeet (musical evening), followed by Baraat (Groom comes on a horse for the wedding accompanied by people dancing on the streets), Indian wedding, American wedding and Reception. Execution and planning were flawless including all design ideas for decor, arranging all vendors and great execution and monitoring during the events. I strongly recommend Gabrielle and team for having a fabulous and flawless wedding!!!

Black Swan Events 14
    Black Swan Events 15
    Sent on 04/07/2019

Elizabeth · Married on 09/26/2015

Gabrielle and Black Swan Events made my wedding day dreams come true. My husband and I were married September 26th 2017 and, like lots of ladies, think of that day often. It was like something from a storybook; a picture perfect setting and I was the princess. Gabrielle helped make my wedding dreams a reality, and every person at the event raved about the beauty found in each detail. Her professionalism, calmness and experience was obvious as she worked hard for my special day. Her presence, and amazing skill set, brought me such peace that I was able to relax before and during the wedding. Thank you, Gabrielle. Even now, years later, people tell me that my wedding was one of the most spectacular weddings they have ever attended....and I agree! Truly, this event was made perfect by Gabrielle and Black Swan. Thank you, thank you THANK YOU.

Black Swan Events 16
    Sent on 03/21/2018

Black Swan Events's reply:

Thank you so much Elizabeth! working with you and Sean on your wedding was a joy. Choosing to commit to each other in such a magnificent wooded setting with the river and the party that followed absolutely reflected your personality.
    When a vibrant couple listens to their inner voice to create a wedding, it can only be extraordinary !

Char · Married on 10/26/2013

A beautiful surrounding not only the yacht but the event in which was created around it. A short planned, inexpensive, expression of love to be forever. A man 60, a women 50 found in each others waters. Where they had been afraid to swim they now dive in. Bless a beautiful person for making our forever so BEAUTIFUL TOO!!!!

John and Char

Sent on 11/21/2013

Lori · event on: 10/25/2013

I have worked with Gabrielle on many events over the years ranging from a handful of people to our largest, with 850 people. Gabrielle is always professional, knows her client, their target audience and how to best appeal to them. She is articulate, knowledgeable and most importantly always get the job done and I look like a million bucks to my clients. Her expertise in event planning is second to none and I appreciate that no matter what my budget is, she creates something that meets my need. One of the most valued aspects of her is that when she tells you, "I've got this" you don't have to give it another thought and you know it will be perfect, that is worth it's weight in gold. I wholeheartedly recommend her for any event you are planning.

Sent on 11/21/2013

Angela · Married on 07/27/2013

I was lucky to work with Gabrielle for 15 months in preparation for our July Saturday wedding. Gabrielle was an irreplaceable and critical part of our wedding. I feel grateful that we worked with her, and I cannot give a stronger recommendation for her services.
    No matter what aspect we talked about, Gabrielle always listened to me, smiled, and presented options. She was never judgmental or bossy. One by one, Gabrielle systematically helped us line up all our vendors. We only focused on one aspect at a time (venue, food, photography). First, Gabrielle always sought out our opinions and preferences. Then she would usually direct us to 2-4 options of vendors she had experience working with that she thought we would like/would meet our needs. From there, we made the final choice and Gabrielle helped us set it up. Her approach made it really easy for us to do a little research on our own, but from a narrower starting point.
    As the wedding got closer, we could be genuinely excited and happy because everything was already planned. We had a minute by minute timeline for the whole 36 hours before the wedding, so by the time we were that close we felt incredibly prepared and ready. Not that we didn’t experience some mishaps. I almost flipped out when my husband requested significant changes to the seating chart to accommodate new guests. Our best man got lost on the way to the rehearsal. Our florist got rear-ended on the way to wedding. The day of the wedding we realized not all of the tux rentals made it to the hotel. Gabrielle put out all the fires, kept everything running to schedule, and made sure my husband and I never broke a sweat. We were able to enjoy the day because we could trust that she was in charge. We were unconditionally confident that Gabrielle would make things work, and she did. I realize it sounds cliché, but it was the best day of our lives (so far!). I don’t know if we could say the same thing if we hadn’t worked with Gabrielle.

Sent on 11/29/2013

Black Swan Events's reply:

Thank you Angela and Michael! I was a joy to work with you both. What I must give you credit for is that you coordinated this wedding from your home in CO.
    Planning any wedding is a big job, doing it from a location 1500 miles away speaks volumes to how well organized you both were. I also admired how much of Angela's creativity went into this wedding. I still have one of the beautiful programs you made. Thank you again for trusting me with your special day.

david · event on: 07/24/2013

Hello, I can not thank Gabrielle enough for an amazing event that she helped with last week. In fact, I have never met Gabrielle, but would have no hesitation in giving her the highest possible feedback and rating on an incredible amount of assistance and service. In short, I was trying to arrange a special day for my father's 70th birthday, who had flown in from Australia. I was up against some very tight timelines with only a few days left, and yet after speaking to Gabrielle, she made our day wonderful. I was trying to source a boat to spend some time on a boat as it is what my father wanted to do. The usual boats were not available, so she sourced a personal friend, and asked them to take us out on the boat for the day! These people do not rent their boat out to anybody, and yet she asked them to help us out given how special the day was for us, and they obliged and were amazing hosts. She also helped us secure a personal chef to cook a meal in our home at very short notice. She did not make any money off this event, but she spent a number of hours arranging it, just so that we could celebrate this special occasion for my father. What an incredible person, what incredible service and these are the type of people who make this world a better place. She puts the special into special events, and would be more than happy to recommend her to anybody. David Stevenson

Sent on 07/28/2013

Ekaterina · Married on 10/27/2012

It's hard to express how greatly we appreciate Gabrielle and everything she had done to make our dreams come true. Gabrielle's knowledge of the industry, ability to be flexible (the extent of our wedding had changed half-way thru the planning process), her ability to negociate impossible to dream of deals, her hard work, her creativity, people's skills and her enthusiasm are absolutely fenomenal!

Sent on 11/27/2012

Ruth · Married on 08/09/2012

When we first met Gabrielle at the NW Wedding Scoop, she immediately began detailing our wedding and offering great ideas... and we hadn't even hired her yet. Stop researching other event planners and simply make this phone call. She is a wedding guru and easily cut our personal planning time in half. All of this while providing extra value in smart vendor negotiations. We were able to bring so much more to our wedding than we ever would have considered initially.

In addition, she truly cares about making her client's big day the absolute best. It isn't a coincidence that every review prior to this also received 5 stars. There really is no alternative to a coordinator in the NW. Thank you very much Gabrielle. Paul & Ruthie.

Sent on 10/06/2012

emily · Married on 06/28/2012

A Beach Wedding of a Life time

Planning a wedding out of the country, much less on a tropical beach sounds romantic and beautiful but it was also very challenging! When out daughter asked for a her dream wedding at a beach in Tulum Mexico, like all parents we wanted to give her dream. None of us had any idea what it would entail, even in a " fully inclusive resort." Customs, language barriers and logistics for the wedding as well as managing costs made it clear we wanted a professional planner working with us. The resort had very good people but their first loyality was to make the resort money. Hiring Gabrielle ensured that our vision
    happened and on budget. 1 month after the wedding I found we had been double billed by the resort!!! Just as she had helped us with so many other unexpected twists and turns, she got the funds returned.
    because of her we all enjoyed the wedding.

Black Swan Events 17
    Black Swan Events 18
    Sent on 10/25/2018

Katrina · Married on 06/23/2012

Hiring Gabrielle was the best decision we could have made.

Responsiveness: She returns emails within 24 hours, usually well before then. She is an excellent communicator.

Professionalism: Man, she got the job DONE. And our wedding day went VERY smoothly--I know that she was working like a crazy person behind the scenes, while we were blissfully floating about.
    She also has a wonderful circle of vendors--because she has those relationships, we ended up getting some great deals on great service. So I appreciate her professional relationships outside of ours.

Value: She is worth her weight in gold--if I could give her 10 stars for value, I would. The amount that we paid for the amount of service that we got is hard to believe.
    Yes, she saved us about the amount that we paid her by getting us deals with other vendors (especially catering). When all is said and done, I think that we ended up paying about as much as we would have ended up paying without her--maybe a few hundred dollars more--but getting twice the wedding that we would have without her.

Flexibility: I think that she re-planned our wedding about a million times. She took all our curveballs, and smoothed everything out.

What a gem. Hire her.

Sent on 07/12/2012

Shannon · Married on 02/04/2012

Gabrielle is amazing! She was with me each step of the way and made sure I had all my bases covered. Throughout the process she was very responsive to questions I had made sure that my wedding was on budget. The day of the wedding all I had to do was relax and get pampered. Gabrielle made it all happen without me worrying. She was great!

Sent on 02/21/2012

Noel · Married on 08/20/2011

Gabrielle with Black Swan Events was wonderful to work with!!!! She always had a VERY quick response to all my email and phone calls. Gabrielle was able to take all my ideas and turn them into reality for my dream wedding. I was able to focus on the fun part of the planning and brainstorming and be completely stress free! My wedding day I didn't have to focus or worry about anything but getting ready and marrying my husband. Everything turned out perfect and I had no stress because of Gabrielle!

Sent on 09/17/2011
  • User2591905 · 2+ years ago

Working with Gabrielle was awesome, hiring her was the best decision I made in planning our wedding. Before I worked with her I was a nervous wreck. She helped me have the wedding of my dreams.She was able to bring our multicultural identities together beautifully. She was honest very helpful. The most important thing of all was that she gave me what none of my girlfriends have had. A worry free wedding!! I was actually able to enjoy my wedding. In all the weddings I have ever been the brides were worried out the food, the decoration the DJ ect. A lot of them even cried because things did not go their way, or a family member was being to overbearing. I did not have any of that, it was like a well synchronized military march!! (sorry, I'm in the Army). I was beautiful, at the end of my wedding my cheeks hurt because I smiled and laughed a lot. Gabrielle went above and beyond, her level of professionalism was amazing. She kept me on schedule, on budget,( happy husband,lol) and got me the right vendors. Gabrielle is a must for a smooth memorable wedding!! Thank you Nick and Sherly Pruett PDX

Sent on 08/10/2012

Allison · Married on 09/03/2010

I worked with Gabrielle from Black Swan Events for my wedding on September 3, 2010. I live in Florida and was planning my wedding in Oregon, and needless to say this was a bit challenging. When I started working with Gabrielle, she took care of everything. She assisted me in getting vendor appointments set up for my pre-wedding planning visit. She also came with me on all appointments and helped me navigate through these busy days to focus on what was important to me and my husband to be. she also assisted in communicating with the wedding venue to ensure that everything was as I would like it when we arrived.

I arrived in Oregon a week before my wedding and Gabrielle had everything planned out. She was able to keep the week stress free, while keeping me and my family on schedule and focused on the things that needed to get done.

On the day of the wedding, she handled everything with professionalism and made us all feel comfortable. I could not have asked for a better wedding planner and friend. Our wedding was a special day to remember and I know that Gabrielle and her team are to thank for that!

Sincerely, Allie and Rory

Sent on 06/14/2011

Lei · Married on 07/31/2010

Gabrielle is Amazing. Professional, on point and most of all listens to her clients. Her attention to detail made the wedding amazing. As a wedding coordinator I definitely understand the trials of planning a wedding and Gabrielle's execution was amazing. Smooth and effortless! I hope that I am able to work with her in the near future. She is definitely a great mentor! Her clients absolutely LOVE her!

Sent on 08/14/2010

Hillary · Married on 01/01/2010

Gabrielle made my dream a reality. Everything about our wedding was easy and so much fun. The stress and worries that are stereotypical of weddings were no where to be found at our event because of Gabrielle and her amazing ability to create wonderful events. Without her my wedding would never have been what is was and I am sad that we are no longer working with her. Absolute perfection.

Sent on 01/02/2010

Jeffrey · Married on 05/11/2013

Working with Black Swan Events was a tremendous help for planning our wedding. Gabrielle was wonderful to work with. Her calm demeanor and attention to detail were truly priceless. Her network of professionals (dj, photographer, florist and printer) that she connected us with during the planning stages were top notch. Additionally, her professionalism, experience and ability to meet our requests were true assets which helped us flawlessly execute our wedding and reception.

Sent on 07/17/2013

john · Married on 08/03/2013

Gabrielle is fantastic. Every detail, every nuance handled on time and on budget.

Sent on 09/13/2013

Tiffany · Married on 10/06/2012

My husband, Ryan, and I made the decision to use a wedding planner for two reasons. One, we knew it would take a lot of pressure off our shoulders, and two, Gabrielle and Black Swan Events have an amazing network of vendors that know each other and have worked together numerous times before. With their industry expertise and a visible passion for what they do, we knew we were in safe hands.

Another reason we were excited to have a wedding planner on our side was to aide in our historical, Victorian-inspired wedding. Ryan and I are big history nerds and having decided on our ceremony in the Fort Vancouver National Reserve (think post Civil-War housing), we wanted to keep the whole event as period-specific as possible. Without Gabrielle's contact, Rebecca, we would not have been able to pull off the menswear. Rebecca hand-made the men's period-specific shirts and waistcoats, even attending the day of to help them put all the pieces together just so. Another one of our contacts was Daybreak Carriages, which helped provide the horse and carriage ride before and after the ceremony. No historically-inspired wedding is complete without that! Our florist worked with us, and our lantern centerpieces, to focus on candlelight as the main source of lighting and ambiance (after the sun went down). Our musician incorporated acoustic guitar and violin to help provide the audible experience we wanted for our guests. Our caterer allowed us to incorporate mason jars as drinking glasses to give dinner that old-fashioned feel. All of the elements we wanted to create our Victorian-Era wedding were there, thanks to Gabrielle and her team. She helped us put together a group of vendors that understood our vision and worked with us down to every last detail.

Choosing Gabrielle and Black Swan Events helped us to ENJOY the wedding planning process, so that we could enjoy being engaged - a special time that only lasts so long. Our money was well spent!

Sent on 03/28/2013