Black Pelican Catering Reviews

Black Pelican Catering 6
Black Pelican Catering 7

Cori Falls · Married on 10/28/2018

Catered wedding at Jennette's Pier

We used Black Pelican to cater our wedding at Jennette's Pier. We loved them! They were easy to work with, always responded back to me in a timely manner and answered any questions I had throughout the planning process. The food was amazing and all of our guest loved it! I would recommend them to anyone planning a wedding in the OBX.

Sent on 11/04/2018

Meghan · Married on 10/20/2018

Delicious!

We hired this caterer without taste testing any food because we are out of town and the food was delicious!!! The team was very easy to work with and talk to. The wait staff even changed the schedule the night of my wedding to accommodate our timeline. I dont have any negative things to say about the company or the food! I would 100% hire them again!

Sent on 11/09/2018
  • Kelsey

Kelsey · Married on 10/20/2018

Definitely the best wedding food I've ever had at a wedding

The title says it all! It's just an added bonus that it happened to be our wedding! Seriously, the whole Black Pelican crew are amazing. The show up and work so hard. The food is fresh and delicious. They clean it all up and leave whatever food is left in organized containers for you to take with you. If you are unable to taste test because you are booking a destination wedding then you are in great hands with Black Pelican. They give you exactly what you want and customize the menu to whatever YOU want to serve. We had so many of our guests reach out to tell us how amazing the food was.

Sent on 01/14/2019

Kate · Married on 10/13/2018

Wedding Caterer

Black Pelican was a joy to work with! They went above and beyond for me at my reception. It was easy to communicate with them and I would highly recommend.

• Jordan

Jordan · Married on 10/07/2018

The Black Pelican catering group was nothing short of amazing. My husband and I had an out of state wedding so it was hard to coordinate but they helped us every step, always ready to answer questions and help. The food was absolutely delicious. We had a buffet style dinner and there was PLENTY of food, we had leftovers for days. The staff were professional and incredibly kind. If you're having an OBX wedding, I highly recommend Black Pelican.

Sent on 10/14/2018

Briana · Married on 09/24/2018

After contacting numerous caterers and attending several tastings, we found Black Pelican. Being that I am a bit of a food snob and enjoy cooking myself, our guests expected to have great food at our wedding and they did. Everyone loved the food. Not only do they have great food but the Black Pelican team is awesome! They were extremely helpful and quickly responded to all of my emails throughout the planning process. The servers and bartender on the day of were fantastic. They were all super attentive, friendly and professional. At the end of the night they cleaned up everything (including packaging leftovers and racking rental china) and it was as if they were never even there. We could not have asked for a better experience!

Sent on 10/08/2018
  • Jaclyn

Jaclyn · Married on 08/30/2018

Black Pelican Catering- Excellent Food and Service

Black Pelican catering delivered amazing service and more importantly delicious food for our 08/30/2018 wedding. All the way from our tasting until the day of they were excellent. No wonder they have been such a long lasting establishment on the Outer Banks. I would highly reccomend them to anyone.

Sent on 02/07/2019

Marie · Married on 07/20/2018

Great service. Delicious food.

Jennifer was very accommodating and very responsive to my requests. If we have another celebration I will definitely use them again.

Kassie Thompson · Married on 05/19/2018

Amazing food & service!

Delicious food, amazing staff, and great catering coordinators that make choosing from their HUGE menu a breeze. They were able to customize our menu to make it exactly what we wanted. Our family and friends all talk about visiting the restaurant on their own because the food was so good! We can't wait to stop by again soon!

Sent on 02/19/2019
    Black Pelican Catering 8
    Black Pelican Catering 9

Robin · Married on 04/13/2018

Their team was THE BEST. So many of our guest (well traveled and fed group!) said this was hands down the best wedding catering they had ever had...BP worked with us and accommodated all our needs. A terrific value! If I hadn't married the most wonderful person on earth, I'd be tempted to have another wedding just for a redux with Black Pelican. We will definitely have them cater dinners for us when we are there on vaca!

Sent on 04/27/2018
    Black Pelican Catering 10
    Black Pelican Catering 11
    Black Pelican Catering 12
    Black Pelican Catering 13
    Black Pelican Catering 14

Chelsea · Married on 04/05/2018

Easy and delicious!

The food was absolutely delicious! Black Pelican were very accommodating and easy to work with from being in WV. They set up everything for the food portion which was one less thing to stress. Definitely recommend!!

Ruth · Married on 10/13/2017

This was an 80th birthday dinner. Your staff could not have been nicer. Totally took charge wouldn't let me do a thing, cleaned up nicely also. Great time !! Thank you.

Sent on 10/23/2017
  • Brandy

Brandy · Married on 10/07/2017

All everyone talked about

We used Black Pelican, I unfortunately didn't really get to eat :( but it is 1.5yrs later and thats the one part people really remember is the food. Everyone kept saying how amazing the food was which I knew it would be!

Sent on 01/20/2019

Hayley · Married on 09/20/2017

Black Pelican was a fantastic choice for our wedding day. I would suggest them to anyone who is having a wedding in OBX.

Sent on 10/22/2017

Steve · Married on 09/16/2017

We had Black Pelican Catering cater our October wedding and received nothing but praise from our guests. From the appetizers served during cocktail hour to the main courses and sides. Everything was excellent. The servers were professional, attentive, and went above and beyond; even rushing out to patio where someone had tripped and dropped there food to help clean it up. Would recommend them for any type of special event.

Sent on 10/16/2017

Black Pelican Catering's reply:

Thank you so much for the kind review and the opportunity to be a part of your special day! Please keep us in mind for any future events you may have on or near the Outer Banks!

Morgan · Married on 05/27/2017

This team really was amazing! They offered several tastings, because we went back and forth on our choices several times. They were VERY responsive to all our questions, helped with planning, and most importantly, the food was amazing! And for the price, you can't beat it. We served our tables family style, which I highly recommend! Thanks guys!

Sent on 08/11/2017

Sarah · Married on 05/11/2017

My husband and I got married in May of 2017, and selected Black Pelican to cater our event-home reception based on their reviews, word of mouth from a few friends, and their reasonable pricing. We went with pulled pork/chicken, deviled eggs, mac-n-cheese, green beans, and potato salad. I have been to many wedding with a similar spread, and this was hands down the most delicious pulled pork I've ever tasted. Everyone was raving about the food the entire night, and I still have family members and friends talking about how good it was. The servers was so friendly and attentive. We did not have an event planner, but with very little direction, they were able to figure out where to set up the food, bar, etc. They also took charge of notifying each table when it was their turn to come up to the buffet line. Apparently the ice drawer had not produced enough ice and they were offered to run out to the store to get bags of ice for the bar mid-reception! Not only did they provide our food and bartender, but they took care of ordering all of our rentals (tables, chairs, linens, ceremony arch, etc.) I emailed them a list of our desired rentals, and they took care of the rest. I made so many modifications/additions throughout the planning process and asked many, many questions and they were equally friendly and responsive to every email that I sent. I would recommend Black Pelican to anyone planning a wedding in the area, whether for a rehearsal dinner or a reception. The quantity and quality of food, as well as the professionalism of the staff, is truly worth every penny!

Sent on 06/29/2017
  • Liza

Liza · Married on 12/17/2016

Black Pelican Catering was the best choice I made during the whole wedding process. Amazing food and most importantly amazing staff - both during the planning phase and at the event. We could not have asked for a better caterer. If you want delicious food, professional staff, and people who are easy to work with, Black Pelican is for you! Thank you Black Pelican!!

Sent on 01/07/2017

Black Pelican Catering's reply:

Thank you so much Liza! Your wedding was absolutely beautiful and you all were so fun to work with! Hope you will come see us in the restaurant sometime! Congratulations!!!
  • Erin

Erin · Married on 10/07/2016

I am beyond amazed and grateful for the service that we received from Renee and the Black Pelican Staff. Our wedding was during the week that Hurricane Matthew hit the OBX in October 2016. Not only was Renee diligent about keeping up communication with me, they were willing to move our wedding to the day before our scheduled date if needed! Luckily it didn't come down to that and we had the wedding during the planned day, however just knowing that they would be willing to move our wedding to the day before with 1 day warning provided relief that this bride in meltdown mode desperately needed.
    The food was absolutely delicious! We ended up having shrimp n' grits tasting spoons, NY strip steak with Gouda crema tasting forks, and mozzarella stuffed risotto balls for passed appetizers., bacon wrapped scallops with vidalia puree, crab cakes, and Riesling chicken for our entrees, and rosemary potatoes and roasted Tuscan veggies for sides. The staff was very professional and attentive AND calm despite a Hurricane barreling down on their homes just 12 hours after our reception ended. I would HIGHLY recommend the Black Pelican for your OBX event.

Sent on 01/18/2017
  • Kandace

Kandace · Married on 04/18/2016

Renee and her staff were amazing. From the tasting to the catering service to the food quality. Highly highly recommend. We did a buffet style and the bartender option. The bartender was amazing. I was too busy getting ready to direct the staff on where the drinks were and they set everything up perfectly. All the staff was so nice and friendly. They even brought us appetizers on the beach during the formal photos while everyone was inside at the reception. They were wonderful :)

Sent on 04/26/2016

Nicole · Married on 03/29/2015

The ladies at Black Pelican Catering were awesome to work with as an out of town bride! The menu was flexible and easy to create a classy menu within my budget. Anytime I contacted to ask a question or make payments, it was quickly responded to and handled. The day was seamless with a chef onsite, serving staff, and cleanup crew requiring little over site. We were able to focus on getting ready and having them prepare amazing food for our guests. The food was AMAZING!!!

Sent on 04/21/2015

Laura · Married on 08/20/2014

Black Pelican was amazing!! They catered my beach wedding in August and I would recommend them to anyone! I planned my wedding from out of state so I had never met anyone from Black Pelican or tasted the food. But, I was not disappointed! Linda helped me through the entire process and allowed me to change my mind several times. The food was amazing and we had leftovers for days. Many people commented on how delicious it was--especially the mashed potato bar. Renee was there at our event to supervise and she was wonderful, as were the servers and bartender. I was most impressed with how kind everyone was and felt they went above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of. I was so impressed and could not have been happier.

Sent on 09/14/2014

marybeth & Chuck · Married on 06/21/2014

We had a 3 couple vow renewal ceremony just for family. On relatively short notice the folks at Black Pelican Catering contacted us with their offerings. They worked with us to set up a menu to feed 18 people from kids to teenagers to grandparents. The food was outstanding, although probably too much as we had a lot of leftovers. They were on time, efficient and very clean in setting everything up and the tear down afterwards.. The food was hot when it was supposed to be and came with all the appropriate sauces. We would highly recommend Black Pelican Catering and would use them again when we are back in the Outer Banks.

Sent on 06/30/2014

Laura · Married on 06/10/2014

Linda and her team did an excellent job catering our wedding reception. We knew the food was going to be delicious after we had our tasting about a month and a half before the wedding. They were on time, were flexible with their setup based on our limited space, and cleaned up the area so well you couldn't even tell they were there. All my guests loved the food and we had a TON of leftovers, which unfortunately we had to waste since all of our guests left town the day after the wedding.

Sent on 06/20/2014