41 Reviews for Black Pelican Catering

Signature Drink (1)
Chairs (1)
Tables (1)
41 Black Pelican Catering Reviews

Their team was THE BEST. So many of our guest (well traveled and fed group!) said this was hands down the best wedding catering they had ever had...BP worked with us and accommodated all our needs. A terrific value! If I hadn't married the most wonderful person on earth, I'd be tempted to have another wedding just for a redux with Black Pelican. We will definitely have them cater dinners for us when we are there on vaca!

Profile Picture Robin, 4/13/18, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering

This was an 80th birthday dinner. Your staff could not have been nicer. Totally took charge wouldn't let me do a thing, cleaned up nicely also. Great time !! Thank you.

Profile Picture Ruth, 10/13/17, 1 Review
Category: Catering

Black Pelican was a fantastic choice for our wedding day. I would suggest them to anyone who is having a wedding in OBX.

Profile Picture Hayley, 9/20/17, 1 Review
Category: Catering

We had Black Pelican Catering cater our October wedding and received nothing but praise from our guests. From the appetizers served during cocktail hour to the main courses and sides. Everything was excellent. The servers were professional, attentive, and went above and beyond; even rushing out to patio where someone had tripped and dropped there food to help clean it up. Would recommend them for any type of special event.

View Vendor Response
Profile Picture Steve, 9/16/17, 1 Review
Category: Catering

This team really was amazing! They offered several tastings, because we went back and forth on our choices several times. They were VERY responsive to all our questions, helped with planning, and most importantly, the food was amazing! And for the price, you can't beat it. We served our tables family style, which I highly recommend! Thanks guys!

Profile Picture Morgan, 5/27/17, 8 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, Cake Cutting, Family Style, Hors d'oeuvres, Plated, Server(s), Tastings

My husband and I got married in May of 2017, and selected Black Pelican to cater our event-home reception based on their reviews, word of mouth from a few friends, and their reasonable pricing. We went with pulled pork/chicken, deviled eggs, mac-n-cheese, green beans, and potato salad. I have been to many wedding with a similar spread, and this was hands down the most delicious pulled pork I've ever tasted. Everyone was raving about the food the entire night, and I still have family members and friends talking about how good it was. The servers was so friendly and attentive. We did not have an event planner, but with very little direction, they were able to figure out where to set up the food, bar, etc. They also took charge of notifying each table when it was their turn to come up to the buffet line. Apparently the ice drawer had not produced enough ice and they were offered to run out to the store to get bags of ice for the bar mid-reception! Not only did they provide our food and bartender, but they took care of ordering all of our rentals (tables, chairs, linens, ceremony arch, etc.) I emailed them a list of our desired rentals, and they took care of the rest. I made so many modifications/additions throughout the planning process and asked many, many questions and they were equally friendly and responsive to every email that I sent. I would recommend Black Pelican to anyone planning a wedding in the area, whether for a rehearsal dinner or a reception. The quantity and quality of food, as well as the professionalism of the staff, is truly worth every penny!

Profile Picture Sarah, 5/11/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Bartender(s), American, Chairs, Tables, Buffet, Server(s)

I am beyond amazed and grateful for the service that we received from Renee and the Black Pelican Staff. Our wedding was during the week that Hurricane Matthew hit the OBX in October 2016. Not only was Renee diligent about keeping up communication with me, they were willing to move our wedding to the day before our scheduled date if needed! Luckily it didn't come down to that and we had the wedding during the planned day, however just knowing that they would be willing to move our wedding to the day before with 1 day warning provided relief that this bride in meltdown mode desperately needed.
The food was absolutely delicious! We ended up having shrimp n' grits tasting spoons, NY strip steak with Gouda crema tasting forks, and mozzarella stuffed risotto balls for passed appetizers., bacon wrapped scallops with vidalia puree, crab cakes, and Riesling chicken for our entrees, and rosemary potatoes and roasted Tuscan veggies for sides. The staff was very professional and attentive AND calm despite a Hurricane barreling down on their homes just 12 hours after our reception ended. I would HIGHLY recommend the Black Pelican for your OBX event.

Profile Picture Erin, 10/7/16, 6 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Local, Vegan, Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, Open Bar, Buffet, Cake Cutting, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres

Renee and her staff were amazing. From the tasting to the catering service to the food quality. Highly highly recommend. We did a buffet style and the bartender option. The bartender was amazing. I was too busy getting ready to direct the staff on where the drinks were and they set everything up perfectly. All the staff was so nice and friendly. They even brought us appetizers on the beach during the formal photos while everyone was inside at the reception. They were wonderful :)

Profile Picture Kandace, 4/18/16, 1 Review
Category: Catering

The ladies at Black Pelican Catering were awesome to work with as an out of town bride! The menu was flexible and easy to create a classy menu within my budget. Anytime I contacted to ask a question or make payments, it was quickly responded to and handled. The day was seamless with a chef onsite, serving staff, and cleanup crew requiring little over site. We were able to focus on getting ready and having them prepare amazing food for our guests. The food was AMAZING!!!

Profile Picture Nicole, 3/29/15, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering

Black Pelican was amazing!! They catered my beach wedding in August and I would recommend them to anyone! I planned my wedding from out of state so I had never met anyone from Black Pelican or tasted the food. But, I was not disappointed! Linda helped me through the entire process and allowed me to change my mind several times. The food was amazing and we had leftovers for days. Many people commented on how delicious it was--especially the mashed potato bar. Renee was there at our event to supervise and she was wonderful, as were the servers and bartender. I was most impressed with how kind everyone was and felt they went above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of. I was so impressed and could not have been happier.

Profile Picture Laura, 8/20/14, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering

We had a 3 couple vow renewal ceremony just for family. On relatively short notice the folks at Black Pelican Catering contacted us with their offerings. They worked with us to set up a menu to feed 18 people from kids to teenagers to grandparents. The food was outstanding, although probably too much as we had a lot of leftovers. They were on time, efficient and very clean in setting everything up and the tear down afterwards.. The food was hot when it was supposed to be and came with all the appropriate sauces. We would highly recommend Black Pelican Catering and would use them again when we are back in the Outer Banks.

Profile Picture marybeth & Chuck, 6/21/14, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering

Linda and her team did an excellent job catering our wedding reception. We knew the food was going to be delicious after we had our tasting about a month and a half before the wedding. They were on time, were flexible with their setup based on our limited space, and cleaned up the area so well you couldn't even tell they were there. All my guests loved the food and we had a TON of leftovers, which unfortunately we had to waste since all of our guests left town the day after the wedding.

Profile Picture Laura, 6/10/14, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering

We had the black pelican cater for us after our beach wedding and it was perfect! The staff and the food was phenomenal and there was something that everyone liked. We loved it so much we went back to the restaurant later in the week. Love it!

Profile Picture Tara, 5/27/14, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering

We hired Black Pelican for our wedding because my parents love to eat there when in the Outer Banks. Being that I'm not from that area, I chose them based on reputation. We worked with Linda (mainly) and Erica (some.) Every one we spoke with at Black Pelican was completely professional. They were affordable and they treated us like a priority, not just another order number. Every time I spoke with anyone from Black Pelican, they made me feel as if they were so excited about our event and their commitment to making it a perfect experience.

When the big day came a few weeks ago, they were AWESOME! They were on time, they were highly professional and our guests could not stop commenting on how wonderful the food was! We chose blackened beef medallions, mahi, crab cakes, potatoes and mixed veggies, crackers and cheese and a garden salad. It was absolutely wonderful!!

We were very pleased with our choice and would absolutely suggest the Black Pelican to cater anyone's event. My mouth still waters thinking of the beef medallions... my only regret is that I didn't put more of them on my plate because our guests finished them all off before I could have seconds! ha!

Profile Picture Karyn, 4/24/14, 6 Reviews
Category: Catering

First off, this review isn't really for the catering side of Black Pelican, but more for the restaurant. But they were such a big and great part of our big day, that I wanted to make sure I could let everyone else know how impressed we were with them! We had a small wedding, just 14 guests, and after the wedding we all wanted to go to dinner. I didn't want catering or anything for such a small group, but after I read some online reviews, Black Pelican stuck out as a very well respected restaurant. They were very easy to work with, just one phone call set up the dinner for our group. They let me bring our wedding cake for desert and supplied plates and forks without charging any type of fee, which was great. Everyone RAVED about their food, from the risotto, to the grilled mahi mahi, to the ahi tuna, to the clambakes, to the fried fish, to the pasta. No one was disappointed, and the atmosphere was wonderful. The waitress was fantastic, and my husband and I both were amazed at how quickly a group as large as ours got service, both for empty drinks and how fast the food came out. If you need a place for a large group, or even a small wedding party like ours, The Black Pelican is perfect, and will be a staple visit for all of our OBX trips in the future! :)

Profile Picture Sarah, 4/14/14, 6 Reviews
Category: Catering

We booked Black Pelican for both our rehearsal dinner and our wedding reception. The rehearsal dinner was held upstairs in their restaurant, and we were able to have the whole room for our party. I cannot say enough good things about the ladies at Black Pelican and how wonderful our experience with them was. They are fabulous!!! They went above and beyond my expectations, and we are so happy we chose to work with them on our wedding day. They were extremely responsive - usually responding to my emails within an hour. They were always there when I had last minute questions or concerns. The food was excellent, and we had SO many compliments on the food at our wedding reception. They even decorated the restaurant tables for our rehearsal dinner and provided decorative signs and starfish on our wedding buffet without any extra fee. They were very attentive to my husband and me throughout our wedding reception - constantly making sure we had food and drinks and anything else we needed/wanted. I would recommend Black Pelican catering to anyone who wants a fabulous OBX wedding experience!!!

Profile Picture Ashley, 10/18/13, 6 Reviews
Category: Catering

Crystal was great and the food excellent! They worked with us on the menu and meet all our expectations!

Profile Picture Ashley, 10/13/13, 3 Reviews
Category: Catering

Erica from Black Pelican was great. She answered all of my questions quickly either with an email or a phone call. They did an excellent job catering our Outer Banks wedding! The food was excellent!! and the staff were very professional and extremely polite. I would absolutely recommend The Black Pelican for catering!

Profile Picture Maria , 10/4/13, 7 Reviews
Category: Catering

The Black Pelican did an excellent job catering our Outer Banks wedding! The food was incredible! The staff were very professional and extremely polite. The set up looked so good and they were on top of everything! The bartender did a terrific job as well. They all knew exactly what they were doing and when to do it. Everything went so smoothly! I felt they all went above and beyond expectations! I definitely recommend the Blank Pelican for any catering needs!

Profile Picture Danielle, 5/12/13, 6 Reviews
Category: Catering

Black Pelican served a plated dinner for 130 people at our wedding. The food was INCREDIBLE! I had people coming up to me days later commenting on how good their filet or fish was! In addition to appetizers, we also had late night snacks of macaroni and cheese, pulled pork sliders, french fries, and spinach dip. Everything was perfect! Emily was so responsive and so, so flexible! We changed our minds a million times, and she was able to accommodate us no matter what! I had so many people compliment on how professional and kind our bartenders were, too. Overall, it was a great experience, and I couldn't have imagined the day with anyone but Black Pelican!

Profile Picture Elizabeth, 1/19/13, 9 Reviews
Category: Catering

Black Pelican just catered my rehearsal dinner for my OBX wedding and we absolutely LOVED them! We selected the NC BBQ dinner, and it was exactly what we wanted. The pork BBQ sandwiches and macaroni and cheese were particular favorites among our guests. We were so sorry we didn't have them do the reception as well!

Profile Picture Katherine, 9/17/12, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering

Emily was such a wonderful help! She was so kind, helpful, flexible and amazing. The food was delicious, everyone was talking about it non stop! Emily had her staff serve champagne to all of our guest as they walked up the steps to our wedding, everyone said they had never seen anyone that great. My poor little nieces were starving after we took our photos and they had already moved the appetizers back into the kitchen, they very graciously made a plate for my nieces so they could have some crackers and cheese before we ate. Emily was lovely and we can't wait to eat at the black pelican on our first anniversary! They are a little more than the others, but so so so so worth it.

Profile Picture Lindsey, 6/16/12, 6 Reviews
Category: Catering

Emily from Black Pelican was great! She was very responsive and had so many great ideas for our wedding. I cannot even begin to tell you how many rave reviews and compliments we received on the food at our wedding. Everyone kept saying that the food was better then any wedding they had ever been to. I can't thank Black Pelican and Emily enough. I would highly recommend them!!

Profile Picture Kelly, 6/9/12, 7 Reviews
Category: Catering

I can't say enough about the Black Pelican. I planned my wedding from Virginia, never ate at the Black Pelican, took recommendations from the Catering Mgr, and everything turned out PERFECT. They were responsive and very easy to work with.

I had more of a DIY wedding at one of the beach homes on the 4x4 beach. The Black Pelican delivered the food to the end of the paved road, one of my family members met them & transfered the food, and we dropped it into nice steam trays I already owned. The food was delivered at 5 p.m. and we didn't actually get to eat until 8 p.m. I was fearfull the food would taste horrible after 3 hours of sitting in the steam trays but it was FANTASTIC. On request, the Black Pelican undercooked my steaks (fillets) so that they would be perfectly cooked by the time we were ready to eat. This honestly was the best "wedding" food I've ever had because it didn't taste like the stereotypical wedding food (i.e. bad, boring, bland). Everyone raved about how good the food was.

Besides tasting great & holding up for hours, the cost was the BEST I found in the Outer Banks and there was a LOT of food. We ended up with lot of food left over but I would rather too much than to run out as happened at my cousin's wedding in Ohio (before everyone had even been up to the buffet once!)

If I could do my wedding over again I wouldn't think twice about using the Black Pelican for their catering.

Profile Picture User2632589, 2+ years ago, 2 Reviews