Black Pelican Catering Reviews

48 Reviews for Black Pelican Catering

48 Black Pelican Catering Reviews

Cori Falls · Married on 10/28/2018

Catered wedding at Jennette's Pier

We used Black Pelican to cater our wedding at Jennette's Pier. We loved them! They were easy to work with, always responded back to me in a timely manner and answered any questions I had throughout the planning process. The food was amazing and all of our guest loved it! I would recommend them to anyone planning a wedding in the OBX.

Meghan · Married on 10/20/2018

Delicious!

We hired this caterer without taste testing any food because we are out of town and the food was delicious!!! The team was very easy to work with and talk to. The wait staff even changed the schedule the night of my wedding to accommodate our timeline. I dont have any negative things to say about the company or the food! I would 100% hire them again!

Pamela · Married on 10/19/2018

Thank you to the Black Pelican for your part in making a Rehearsal Dinner event memorable, easy and stress free!

Black Pelican catered our Rehearsal Dinner for our son’s wedding on October of 2018. The entire experience with Black Pelican, from the planning stages through the final cleanup up at the venue was outstanding and we are delighted to say, in a word, “Perfect” in every way”. The food was excellently prepared and served, our guests loved the menu
    (North Carolina Barbecue Package) and most importantly, our son, the groom and our daughter-in-law, the bride, were very happy with the evening, from the food and drink, the ambiance, slide show, to the venue and the excellent work provided by the Black Pelican employees, the servers, the waiters, and the bar tender. The Black Pelican is very familiar with the venues available in the Outer Banks and works very well with the venue planners to make sure deliveries, set up and more are within the stands set by the venues. We strongly recommend Black Pelican to anyone considering a caterer for any event. Their catering menu is extensive, the prices are very reasonable, the food is delicious and the entire staff is helpful, and the catering planners are knowledgeable and able to make on point suggestions during the planning process to help you along the way as you plan and consider options. Additionally, I would add Black Pelican is a wonderful restaurant for dining if you are visiting the Outer Banks. Top notch rating from this family.

Kate · Married on 10/13/2018

Wedding Caterer

Black Pelican was a joy to work with! They went above and beyond for me at my reception. It was easy to communicate with them and I would highly recommend.

• Jordan

Jordan · Married on 10/07/2018

The Black Pelican catering group was nothing short of amazing. My husband and I had an out of state wedding so it was hard to coordinate but they helped us every step, always ready to answer questions and help. The food was absolutely delicious. We had a buffet style dinner and there was PLENTY of food, we had leftovers for days. The staff were professional and incredibly kind. If you're having an OBX wedding, I highly recommend Black Pelican.

Briana · Married on 09/24/2018

After contacting numerous caterers and attending several tastings, we found Black Pelican. Being that I am a bit of a food snob and enjoy cooking myself, our guests expected to have great food at our wedding and they did. Everyone loved the food. Not only do they have great food but the Black Pelican team is awesome! They were extremely helpful and quickly responded to all of my emails throughout the planning process. The servers and bartender on the day of were fantastic. They were all super attentive, friendly and professional. At the end of the night they cleaned up everything (including packaging leftovers and racking rental china) and it was as if they were never even there. We could not have asked for a better experience!

Marie · Married on 07/20/2018

Great service. Delicious food.

Jennifer was very accommodating and very responsive to my requests. If we have another celebration I will definitely use them again.

Robin · Married on 04/13/2018

Their team was THE BEST. So many of our guest (well traveled and fed group!) said this was hands down the best wedding catering they had ever had...BP worked with us and accommodated all our needs. A terrific value! If I hadn't married the most wonderful person on earth, I'd be tempted to have another wedding just for a redux with Black Pelican. We will definitely have them cater dinners for us when we are there on vaca!

Black Pelican Catering 1
    Black Pelican Catering 2
    Black Pelican Catering 3
    Black Pelican Catering 4
    Black Pelican Catering 5

Chelsea · Married on 04/05/2018

Easy and delicious!

The food was absolutely delicious! Black Pelican were very accommodating and easy to work with from being in WV. They set up everything for the food portion which was one less thing to stress. Definitely recommend!!

Ruth · Married on 10/13/2017

This was an 80th birthday dinner. Your staff could not have been nicer. Totally took charge wouldn't let me do a thing, cleaned up nicely also. Great time !! Thank you.

Hayley · Married on 09/20/2017

Black Pelican was a fantastic choice for our wedding day. I would suggest them to anyone who is having a wedding in OBX.

Steve · Married on 09/16/2017

We had Black Pelican Catering cater our October wedding and received nothing but praise from our guests. From the appetizers served during cocktail hour to the main courses and sides. Everything was excellent. The servers were professional, attentive, and went above and beyond; even rushing out to patio where someone had tripped and dropped there food to help clean it up. Would recommend them for any type of special event.

Sent on 10/16/2017

Black Pelican Catering's reply:

Thank you so much for the kind review and the opportunity to be a part of your special day! Please keep us in mind for any future events you may have on or near the Outer Banks!

Morgan · Married on 05/27/2017

This team really was amazing! They offered several tastings, because we went back and forth on our choices several times. They were VERY responsive to all our questions, helped with planning, and most importantly, the food was amazing! And for the price, you can't beat it. We served our tables family style, which I highly recommend! Thanks guys!

Sarah · Married on 05/11/2017

My husband and I got married in May of 2017, and selected Black Pelican to cater our event-home reception based on their reviews, word of mouth from a few friends, and their reasonable pricing. We went with pulled pork/chicken, deviled eggs, mac-n-cheese, green beans, and potato salad. I have been to many wedding with a similar spread, and this was hands down the most delicious pulled pork I've ever tasted. Everyone was raving about the food the entire night, and I still have family members and friends talking about how good it was. The servers was so friendly and attentive. We did not have an event planner, but with very little direction, they were able to figure out where to set up the food, bar, etc. They also took charge of notifying each table when it was their turn to come up to the buffet line. Apparently the ice drawer had not produced enough ice and they were offered to run out to the store to get bags of ice for the bar mid-reception! Not only did they provide our food and bartender, but they took care of ordering all of our rentals (tables, chairs, linens, ceremony arch, etc.) I emailed them a list of our desired rentals, and they took care of the rest. I made so many modifications/additions throughout the planning process and asked many, many questions and they were equally friendly and responsive to every email that I sent. I would recommend Black Pelican to anyone planning a wedding in the area, whether for a rehearsal dinner or a reception. The quantity and quality of food, as well as the professionalism of the staff, is truly worth every penny!

• Erin

Erin · Married on 10/07/2016

I am beyond amazed and grateful for the service that we received from Renee and the Black Pelican Staff. Our wedding was during the week that Hurricane Matthew hit the OBX in October 2016. Not only was Renee diligent about keeping up communication with me, they were willing to move our wedding to the day before our scheduled date if needed! Luckily it didn't come down to that and we had the wedding during the planned day, however just knowing that they would be willing to move our wedding to the day before with 1 day warning provided relief that this bride in meltdown mode desperately needed.
    The food was absolutely delicious! We ended up having shrimp n' grits tasting spoons, NY strip steak with Gouda crema tasting forks, and mozzarella stuffed risotto balls for passed appetizers., bacon wrapped scallops with vidalia puree, crab cakes, and Riesling chicken for our entrees, and rosemary potatoes and roasted Tuscan veggies for sides. The staff was very professional and attentive AND calm despite a Hurricane barreling down on their homes just 12 hours after our reception ended. I would HIGHLY recommend the Black Pelican for your OBX event.

Kandace · Married on 04/18/2016

Renee and her staff were amazing. From the tasting to the catering service to the food quality. Highly highly recommend. We did a buffet style and the bartender option. The bartender was amazing. I was too busy getting ready to direct the staff on where the drinks were and they set everything up perfectly. All the staff was so nice and friendly. They even brought us appetizers on the beach during the formal photos while everyone was inside at the reception. They were wonderful :)

Nicole · Married on 03/29/2015

The ladies at Black Pelican Catering were awesome to work with as an out of town bride! The menu was flexible and easy to create a classy menu within my budget. Anytime I contacted to ask a question or make payments, it was quickly responded to and handled. The day was seamless with a chef onsite, serving staff, and cleanup crew requiring little over site. We were able to focus on getting ready and having them prepare amazing food for our guests. The food was AMAZING!!!

Laura · Married on 08/20/2014

Black Pelican was amazing!! They catered my beach wedding in August and I would recommend them to anyone! I planned my wedding from out of state so I had never met anyone from Black Pelican or tasted the food. But, I was not disappointed! Linda helped me through the entire process and allowed me to change my mind several times. The food was amazing and we had leftovers for days. Many people commented on how delicious it was--especially the mashed potato bar. Renee was there at our event to supervise and she was wonderful, as were the servers and bartender. I was most impressed with how kind everyone was and felt they went above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of. I was so impressed and could not have been happier.

marybeth & Chuck · Married on 06/21/2014

We had a 3 couple vow renewal ceremony just for family. On relatively short notice the folks at Black Pelican Catering contacted us with their offerings. They worked with us to set up a menu to feed 18 people from kids to teenagers to grandparents. The food was outstanding, although probably too much as we had a lot of leftovers. They were on time, efficient and very clean in setting everything up and the tear down afterwards.. The food was hot when it was supposed to be and came with all the appropriate sauces. We would highly recommend Black Pelican Catering and would use them again when we are back in the Outer Banks.

Laura · Married on 06/10/2014

Linda and her team did an excellent job catering our wedding reception. We knew the food was going to be delicious after we had our tasting about a month and a half before the wedding. They were on time, were flexible with their setup based on our limited space, and cleaned up the area so well you couldn't even tell they were there. All my guests loved the food and we had a TON of leftovers, which unfortunately we had to waste since all of our guests left town the day after the wedding.

Tara · Married on 05/27/2014

We had the black pelican cater for us after our beach wedding and it was perfect! The staff and the food was phenomenal and there was something that everyone liked. We loved it so much we went back to the restaurant later in the week. Love it!

• Sunshine805

Karyn · Married on 04/24/2014

We hired Black Pelican for our wedding because my parents love to eat there when in the Outer Banks. Being that I'm not from that area, I chose them based on reputation. We worked with Linda (mainly) and Erica (some.) Every one we spoke with at Black Pelican was completely professional. They were affordable and they treated us like a priority, not just another order number. Every time I spoke with anyone from Black Pelican, they made me feel as if they were so excited about our event and their commitment to making it a perfect experience.

When the big day came a few weeks ago, they were AWESOME! They were on time, they were highly professional and our guests could not stop commenting on how wonderful the food was! We chose blackened beef medallions, mahi, crab cakes, potatoes and mixed veggies, crackers and cheese and a garden salad. It was absolutely wonderful!!

We were very pleased with our choice and would absolutely suggest the Black Pelican to cater anyone's event. My mouth still waters thinking of the beef medallions... my only regret is that I didn't put more of them on my plate because our guests finished them all off before I could have seconds! ha!

Sarah · Married on 04/14/2014

First off, this review isn't really for the catering side of Black Pelican, but more for the restaurant. But they were such a big and great part of our big day, that I wanted to make sure I could let everyone else know how impressed we were with them! We had a small wedding, just 14 guests, and after the wedding we all wanted to go to dinner. I didn't want catering or anything for such a small group, but after I read some online reviews, Black Pelican stuck out as a very well respected restaurant. They were very easy to work with, just one phone call set up the dinner for our group. They let me bring our wedding cake for desert and supplied plates and forks without charging any type of fee, which was great. Everyone RAVED about their food, from the risotto, to the grilled mahi mahi, to the ahi tuna, to the clambakes, to the fried fish, to the pasta. No one was disappointed, and the atmosphere was wonderful. The waitress was fantastic, and my husband and I both were amazed at how quickly a group as large as ours got service, both for empty drinks and how fast the food came out. If you need a place for a large group, or even a small wedding party like ours, The Black Pelican is perfect, and will be a staple visit for all of our OBX trips in the future! :)

Ashley · Married on 10/18/2013

We booked Black Pelican for both our rehearsal dinner and our wedding reception. The rehearsal dinner was held upstairs in their restaurant, and we were able to have the whole room for our party. I cannot say enough good things about the ladies at Black Pelican and how wonderful our experience with them was. They are fabulous!!! They went above and beyond my expectations, and we are so happy we chose to work with them on our wedding day. They were extremely responsive - usually responding to my emails within an hour. They were always there when I had last minute questions or concerns. The food was excellent, and we had SO many compliments on the food at our wedding reception. They even decorated the restaurant tables for our rehearsal dinner and provided decorative signs and starfish on our wedding buffet without any extra fee. They were very attentive to my husband and me throughout our wedding reception - constantly making sure we had food and drinks and anything else we needed/wanted. I would recommend Black Pelican catering to anyone who wants a fabulous OBX wedding experience!!!