Berry Hill Resort and Conference Center Reviews

60 | South Boston, VA

60 Reviews for Berry Hill Resort and Conference Center

Melody · Married on 08/04/2018

I had a great experience for my wedding here. Stephanie was with us from beginning to end and helped make the day go smoothly and special. We had a medium small brunch daytime wedding in June 2018. I recommend this vendor.

Kimberly · Married on 09/02/2016

We couldn't have found a better location to celebrate the happiest day of our lives. The location is absolutely beautiful! Lots of character. The historical aspect of the location really sold us. It gave us a chance to not only celebrate our union but we also honored our African American heritage here, based on the fact that this place has a rich history on the topic of slavery. The rooms are beautiful. Thr hard wood floors and patio with french doors are a plus. Such a peaceful atmosphere. We couldn't have been more blessed with the wedding coordinator, Rhonda. She goes above and beyond her duties. She's pleasant and easy to work with. She was always available to answer my questions and to provide insight and suggestions. The list of vendors provided are top notch. (With the exception of Party Reflections tent rental). Everything flowed smoothly during the course of planning and on the day of the event. Nothing went wrong. We will definitely return to this location to celebrate our anniversary. It was such a pleasant experience that we want to recapture the moment and time.

Jillian · Married on 02/27/2016

From the first email inquiry to a follow up after the wedding, the staff at Berry Hill provided excellent service. My husband and I both work in IT, so wedding planning was very foreign to us. Rhonda was willing and ready to provide quick advice and expertise from her past events. For example, we didn't initially want a DJ, but Rhonda gently advised us against that, and boy, am I glad we had one!

My mom is a professional baker and brought our wedding cake from Minneapolis MN to South Boston VA. She found that part of it had sunk due to the pressure changes going over the mountains and Rhonda and Chef went completely above and beyond to save the cake. Chef set my mom up in his kitchen the day before the wedding, offering his space, equipment, and time to help my mom save the cake and get the damaged parts re-decorated.

I completely forgot to tell Rhonda that we were bringing our own cloth napkins until the morning of the wedding. The team was able to get them folded, arranged on the cake table, around the champagne bottles for service, and I didn't hear a peep from any staff. They simply took care of it. I can't thank them enough! During the reception, the staff was professional and everyone loved the bartenders. They were funny and made conversation, but still professional. From the servers, to the receptionist, to the groundskeeper, everyone made us feel welcome.

We stayed in the Carrington Suite and put up our parents in the Bruce suite. It was a bit of a challenge to figure out the plumbing (hello, surprise body sprayer!) but the fluffy towels and thick robes in the rooms were a nice touch. Be aware if you stay in the historic house, it is exactly that. You don't have a modern hotel PTAC unit to provide heat/ac. You will need to call down for maintenance to manually activate the heat in the suites.

To sum it up, our 70 guests had a great time and are still talking about how much fun they had!

Julie · Married on 10/24/2015

The Berry Hill Resort is truly a dream wedding location. My husband and I found the staff to be respectful, helpful, and very kind. We had around 100 guests at our wedding that weekend and no one had anything negative to say about their experience at the ceremony, hotel accommodations, or reception. It is a beautiful location and the food was impeccable, for both the rehearsal dinner and wedding reception. Rhonda and her staff tended to our every need and made our dream wedding a reality. I would highly recommend this location to anyone.

Berry Hill was the perfect place for our wedding! The setting was beautiful. The staff were very helpful and accommodating. The food was amazing, and all of our guests had a wonderful time!

Brooke · Married on 05/16/2015

I recently had my wedding and reception at Berry Hill, and it was a very large wedding of about 350 guests. Rhonda and the Berry Hill staff did a great job of making everything better than we could've imagined. The staff was very courteous and professional when dealing with myself, my husband, our families and our guests. Rhonda went above and beyond to make sure everything was to our liking. They handled the size of the event exceptionally well and made it look so well organized and laid out, even though we had a ridiculous number of people there! The only complaint I have is that one of the rooms was not ready for early check in on time so the groom was a little delayed in being able to get ready for pictures. It was a minor issue and didn't have a big impact on the day at all. I would highly recommend this beautiful venue for a wedding/reception...we received SO many compliments on how beautiful everything was!

We had a beautiful wedding at Berry Hill Resort and wanted to share our wonderful experience with other happy couples who may be looking for a venue in the area. Berry Hill truly is a hidden gem located in South Boston, VA. We had lots of family and friends coming from many directions, with some needing to travel by air. Berry Hill was centrally located for all those attending and was able to accommodate our entire wedding with on-site food, lodging, and even nightlife (the pub is awesome!). The 650-acre grounds are amazing, well-kept, and isolated so you don't even you're just minutes from South Boston, VA and Halifax County. Our guests had the entire resort to themselves when they arrived early and made a full weekend exploring the hiking trails and utilizing every amenity Berry Hill offers, including the beautiful indoor swimming pool. The rooms are grand and immaculate with hardwood flooring, high ceilings, and wonderful walk-out balconies. The actual mansion is incredible, with its giant columns and the impressive interior that has been kept well-furnished in fitting decor. Our guests loved mingling on the Mansions main floor during our cocktail hour and visiting the grand bar where the drinks were served. Another highlight of the night was the after-party at the pub. Since we decided to send-off at 11pm, we encouraged those who wanted to keep the night going to hit the pub. We were able to sneak back in and join them for a few more hours of celebration. The night before the wedding, we hosted our rehearsal dinner in the grove. It is a lovely venue with lights strung from the two rows of trees. Our actual wedding day was amazing and stress-free because of Rhonda and her awesome team. Rhonda is truly a wedding pro, with so many weddings under her belt that it's second-nature. She is easy to work with, very accommodating, and stays cool under pressure. Be sure to ask what all she will be doing for you so you actually know how much goes into running a wedding!

Sara · Married on 01/24/2015

This was the best experience of my life. I really felt like I was home while getting ready for my big day. Everything was available to me that I could possibly need. The rooms in the mansion were spacious and had enough space for my bridal party as we got ready. Any accommodation that I requested was gladly provided. The waitstaff were polite, secrete, and quick to respond to every need. Our wedding coordinator, Rhonda, checked on everyone to ensure things were running smoothly. From the time I arrived Friday afternoon to the time I left on Sunday morning, she tended to our every need. She was professional, kind, thorough, patient, and she handled every single detail of our fairytale wedding. She literally took my decorations and things and made a magical event occur. There is not one bad thing I could possibly say about this whole experience. If you are in search of a fairytale wedding, or a romantic event, this is the place to do it! The food is amazing, the campus is beautiful, and everything was PERFECT!

Shannon · Married on 12/27/2014

Berry Hill was the first out of many venues we looked at and we knew immediately that that would be where we would have our wedding, and I'm so glad we did! Rhonda is absolutely amazing to work with. She is amazingly responsive and so helpful with everything. We could not have hoped for a more beautiful wedding. Our guests were very impressed with the venue, and many told us it was one of the most memorable experiences of their lives. And of course it was for us as well! Darby's Tavern was also awesome to have on site for the after party. I don't think I will ever get over how absolutely perfect our day was thanks to Rhonda and the entire staff at Berry Hill. Berry Hill will forever be very special to us.

John · Married on 11/08/2014

My husband and I could not be happier with our wedding weekend at Berry Hill. From start to finish, the staff was wonderful. Rhonda, the wedding coordinator, is an amazing asset to this venue. She was on top of every aspect of our weekend, incredibly accommodating, and went out of her way to make sure everything met our expectations and went smoothly. We (and our guests) were also very impressed by the food (rehearsal dinner, reception, and Sunday brunch). The Chef and banquet manager (and his staff) were extraordinary. Overall, everything exceeded my expectations.

Ann Marie · Married on 06/21/2014

Berry Hill's staff goes above and beyond their slated responsibilities to ensure that your family has the experience of a lifetime. We were pleased with everything. The wait staff was exceptional. They truly care what you want and will do what they can to make sure it happens. We had the rehearsal dinner, the bridal luncheon, the grooms luncheon, hair and makeup, the ceremony, and the reception all on the grounds. We had almost every guest remark at the loveliness and finesse of Berry Hill. Many people commented that they couldn't believe such a place existed in the middle of the most beautiful country, Southside Virginia. The chef is amazing; he prepares the most wonderful food, country cooking, seafood, comfort, and unique cuisine. We are beyond pleased. This is the perfect venue for a large, classy, Southern wedding.

I would highly recommend Berry Hill to anyone looking for a classy Southern wedding. Rhonda, the Catering Sales and Event Manager, single-handedly sold me on the venue. We were considering other places at first, but after speaking to Rhonda on the phone several times, I was sold.

Rhonda is incredibly enthusiastic and flexible, highly organized, and pays extremely close attention to detail. I will take each in turn to you give you some examples. Enthusiasm and flexibility - Rhonda and the Berry Hill staff wants it to be the day of your dreams and will go above and beyond to make that happen. They helped us organize a horse and carriage to ride into the ceremony. We also did our rehearsal dinner at Berry Hill and Rhonda helped us plan a "movie night under the stars" afterwards for our guests. Turning to organization - before, during and afterward, Rhonda is committed to ensuring that you have everything you need. She will provide you with advice in choosing vendors, set up, back up plans, and event scheduling. On the day of the Rehearsal Dinner and the Wedding, she was there the entire time. She closely supervised her staff and was intimately involved with every aspect of the event. Turning to attention to detail - Rhonda was more familiar with the event schedules than even I was and was an eagle eye in catching errors and making improvements. Rhonda's years of experience doing this means she knows what good looks like and will help you get there.

Now for a little about Berry Hill itself. We got married in May and the place looked like something out of a fairytale. The grass was green, the giant magnolia trees outside the mansion were in bloom, and all the roses in the courtyard were in bloom too. Finally, the staff at Berry Hill are also outstanding. I was so impressed by their friendly and warm hospitality and their helpfulness.

In sum, Berry Hill will not disappoint! We had the wedding of our dreams and are forever grateful to Rhonda and her staff.

Anne · Married on 05/25/2014

Marcy · Married on 05/03/2014

The staff at Berry Hill were wonderful to work with, especially our wedding planner Rhonda. Their friendly and professional service created a wonderful atmosphere for our wedding party and guests. Everyone loved the venue and attention to detail. The setting was picture perfect. The food and service were impeccable. We are looking forward to our next trip to Berry Hill and would highly recommend BH for any wedding or special event. .

Elizabeth · Married on 11/16/2013

Beautiful place and great staff!

Lauren · Married on 08/24/2013

One of the best decisions we made regarding our wedding was without a doubt having our reception at Berry Hill! It is one of the most beautiful places we've ever seen and provided us with the scenery and atmosphere for the fairytale wedding we had hoped for. The staff was amazing and made sure that all of our friends and family were taken care of the entire night. The food, which we have received many compliments on, was also amazing! If you are looking for the perfect location for your dream wedding... look no further... Berry Hill can make it happen!

Keely · Married on 05/18/2013

Magical place! Rhonda and the entire staff were great. Everyone was very hospitable to me and my guests. I have had responses that my wedding was the nicest wedding attended...credit goes to the Berry Hill staff and Rhonda!

• I

Ian · Married on 12/01/2012

Berry Hill is a great venue for a wedding. It was a pleasure working with Rhonda. She will dot all the i's, cross all the t's, and make sure your event is a success. I was thrilled with everything about my event starting with the planning, and Rhonda made it easy. I produce events for a living and think Rhonda and the staff at Berry Hill are top notch.

Jenna · Married on 10/19/2012

Rhonda and the Berry Hill staff were fantastic. The wedding was stress free and unforgettable. All of our friends and family commented on the beauty of the grounds and the helpfulness of the staff. My father in law said that he felt like family with everyone at the berry hill!!! The wedding far exceeded my (very high!) expectations!

We had our dream wedding at Berry Hill. Many of our guests raved over the excellence of the food, hospitality, and service of the staff at Berry Hill.

Amanda · Married on 06/30/2012

We recently got married at the Berry Hill Resort and everything was absolutely gorgeous! The event coordinator, Rhonda, did an amazing job! We picked out our date about a year in advance, so I had plenty of time to plan. We live about a hour from Berry Hill so most of the planning was done with Rhonda through email with a few visits and that was great because I didn't have to take a lot of time off from work. Everything was taken care of right down to the last detail!

We picked Berry Hill because of its southern charm. We wanted a venue that provided all the small things (like tables, linens, etc.), the food, and overnight accommodations. We also wanted a place where the guests could spread out and not feel cramped. We did the wedding ceremony in front of the Mansion, then cocktail hour inside the Mansion, dinner in the Ballroom, and dancing in the courtyard. This worked great! It flowed so well and all the guests really enjoyed seeing the place! They did all the setting up and cleaning up and we didn’t have to worry about a thing! The grounds are really beautiful and everything was well set up and very clean!

The forecast for the rehearsal dinner on Friday and our Wedding Day was 100 degrees. Rhonda contacted me early in the week and we made the necessary changes to accommodate our guests. There was also a really bad storm that came through on Friday night and alot of our guests lost power and actually Berry Hill did as well. I never knew that Berry Hill lost power because they had a generator that powered everything! It was really great not to have to worry about this! They made it possible for some of our guests to check-in early so they could get ready for the wedding! They were really helpful and flexible with the situation.

The food for the rehearsal dinner, lunch, and dinner for the reception was delicious! Some of guests stayed the night of the wedding and had brunch on Sunday morning and everyone raved about how good it was! All the staff was very helpful and so polite.

The Bridal Party and I arrived on Friday and we enjoyed every minute of the Wedding Weekend! I didn't have to stress about anything, Rhonda made sure everything was done on time and right!

I would like to Thank Rhonda and Everyone at Berry Hill that made our Wedding day so special!

Kristen · Married on 06/22/2012

Everything ran smoothly and the staff were very friendly and helpful. They took time to get to know who you were, and the things you liked. I did not want to leave! Rhonda was the wedding coordinator, and she was very responsive to my emails and answered all of my questions and requests! And the food was DELICIOUS!! I highly recommend their strawberry and walnut salad with raspberry vinaigrette!

• Amanda

Amanda · Married on 05/27/2012

The Berry Hill Resort has it all! From the amazing location, to the incredible staff (especially Rhonda who will go above and beyond to make everything perfect) . . . you cannot pick a better wedding venue. We had the most amazing wedding and everyone keeps talking about Berry Hill and how perfect it was. The mansion is gorgeous, the hotel is comfortable and very clean, and the banquet hall is stunning. The food is also incredible, both at the tavern for lunches, the Sunday brunch and of course at the actual wedding. There is so much to do for your guests, swimming, biking, hiking, the spa . . . they will be so thrilled to have so many great options. Berry Hill is truly top notch, you cannot ask for more.

Sarah · Married on 05/19/2012

Rhonda and her staff are absolutely amazing. I spent a little less than a year planning my wedding and Rhonda was so accomidating with answering my emails months before my wedding while she was in the process of working with other brides. She always responded to my emails within 24 hours and usually the same day. Everything about our experience at Berry Hill was perfect. We had our rehearsal dinner, bridesmaid's brunch, wedding, cocktail hour, and reception all at Berry Hill. There were a few things didn't go quite as I had imagined in my mind but Rhonda always had a solution that were even better than what I had in my head. She was amazing. All of our guests were very pleased with their rooms and the service from the staff. I would HIGHLY recommend Berry Hill for events - weddings or parties!