Bartleby & Sage Reviews

Bartleby & Sage 5
Bartleby & Sage 6
Bartleby & Sage 7

Dale Levine · Married on 01/06/2019

Thrilled with Bartleby & Sage!

We hired Bartleby & Sage to cater our 200+ person, brunch wedding at 26 Bridge in Dumbo, Brooklyn. Rachael was our point person and she was amazing to work with. She really understood our vision and put together a menu proposal that was exactly what we wanted. She then stayed on top of every single detail every step of the way. Their team is creative and talented. The food was delicious and looked amazing. They helped us create a cutom bloody mary bar with unique toppings that our guests can't stop raving about. We can't say enough good things about them and are hoping to attend future events catered by them!

Sent on 01/21/2019

Nina Chung · Married on 10/20/2018

Creative staff, gorgeous presentation, stellar food

Bartleby & Sage’s presentation, culinary talent and staff professionalism on our wedding day were stellar. But equally important to my husband Sam and I was the creative process Molly conducted with us in the months leading up to it. Neither of us came in with “dream day” ideas, so it was a major benefit to have Molly’s expert insights on everything AND her encouragement for us to discover and do things that fit our values. There were some things we were doing “differently” with the wedding (including using a space that had never been used for events before), and Molly’s artist-oriented approach was fabulous: new structures and weird limitations were just reasons to get more creative. It worked. Throughout the planning process, we could also sense her respect for her chefs and wait staff, which was important to us.

Ultimately, food-wise, our appetizers were a fusion of Asian cuisines and came out spectacularly. The main dinner and desserts was a completely different cuisine. We got compliments on it all. Our goodbye gifts for guests were edible. Molly also helped us plan a physical setup for the space that truly emphasized that our wedding was a feast – a community gathering over
    a shared meal. We’d recommend the staff and chefs at Bartleby & Sage to anyone thinking about a catered wedding. We felt we had an ally during this period of time that we knew could be filled with anxiety. Guest count: ~240 people.

(I've also left this review on The Knot.)

Sent on 11/25/2018

Ruka · Married on 09/21/2018

My wife and I hired Bartleby and Sage to cater our wedding and could not be happier with their performance. We worked primarily with Leslie and from the get go she was attentive to our needs, responsive to emails, and an all-around pleasant person to work with. We’re both vegetarians and she was not only able to build an exquisite, (mostly) meat free menu, but did an excellent job of finding ways to incorporate meat on the side to satisfy our non vegetarian guests. Shortly before the wedding, we also hired Leslie for her day-of planning services, which was a huge help. With her presence, the day ran without a hiccup, and knowing that she was taking care of the little details that we just didn’t want to think about on our big day took a lot of stress off of our backs. During the wedding, the staff was kind, efficient, and extremely professional. In summary, we strongly recommend hiring Bartleby and Sage - you won’t be disappointed.

Sent on 09/24/2018
  • Monica

Monica · Married on 08/25/2018

Excellent from the very start!

Stellar, magical, beyond efficient from Moment 1...
    Leslie and the Bartleby & Sage were our catering Dream) Team!

Sent on 11/04/2018
    Bartleby & Sage 8
    Bartleby & Sage 9
    Bartleby & Sage 10
    Bartleby & Sage 11

Jackie · Married on 08/19/2018

Leslie and her team at Bartleby and Sage were amazing! They were so accommodating and professional from start to finish. They made the day and everyone is still talking about how incredible the food and drinks were. From our first tasting which was free! Oh my goodness, you can spend so much money just on tastings alone trying to find the right caterer. Leslie was amazing- she even let my mom come at no additional cost. The tasting was out of this world. She was warm and inviting. You knew immediately you were in great hands. We tasted almost everything we asked for and it was a no brainer. We knew we were going with Bartleby & Sage. They will also work with in your budget and give you different options to choose from cost wise and not make you feel any which way about it. With some other caterers they can make you feel almost bad for being on a budget. Not Bartleby & Sage; They are so down to earth and just want to help you create something awesome. I would recommend them 100 times over- And like I said- the food was truly unbelievably delicious and Leslie was incredible. I can't thank them enough for making the day everything I dreamt of.

Sent on 08/29/2018
    Bartleby & Sage 12
    Bartleby & Sage 13
    Bartleby & Sage 14
    Bartleby & Sage 15

John · Married on 06/23/2018

It was perfect. Everything came off like clockwork, the venue was beautiful and comfortable (especially that outdoor fire) and the food was great.

Sent on 06/27/2018

Julie · Married on 06/16/2018

PERFECT.
    Leslie was amazing to work with and Molly Ballard, our Captain, was just perfect. They could not have made our experience easier or more enjoyable. 5 stars all around! We would absolutely recommend Bartleby & Sage to anyone!!!
    The food is PHENOMENAL. Truly. Our wedding was 5 days ago and people are still talking about it.

We went with stations and 6 passed apps.
    We opted for the Homage to Summer Station and the American Traditional.
    We had a lot of vegetarians so Leslie found an amazing vegetarian gumbo for us....and the spicy fried chicken was to die for. People kept asking us if we got any leftovers....but it was so good, that, no! It was all gone.
    The collard greens - as described by some of our friends born and raised in Alabama - were the best collard greens they've ever had.

Our guests all wanted to know if Bartleby & Sage had a restaurant....I think they should! We'd dine there all the time :)

You won't regret it and your guests will thank you too!
    "Best food I've ever had at a wedding" -- said by like...everyone.

So happy we chose them!! =)

Sent on 06/20/2018

Jose · Married on 06/04/2018

Was looking for an inexpensive menu for my wedding, Bartleby & Sage has a great drop-off menu that fit our pricing. Leslie and Molly were so quick with their replies to my questions and very helpful. I will be recommending them to friend's and family for their catering needs.

Sent on 07/15/2018

Pedro · Married on 05/19/2018

My husband and I reached out to many caterers during the wedding planning process. We sent each of them some background on ourselves and what we were envisioning for the day. Bartleby and Sage was the only one that immediately emailed us with a list of options that really felt tailored to us and our taste, not a sample menu of expected wedding food. Leslie is a seasoned caterer with strong relationships across the industry, she was immensely helpful in helping sort out all of our rentals and offered her perspective on what we should and shouldn't invest in. All of our guests could not stop talking about the food her and her team prepared for us, and the professionalism of the staff day-of. We highly recommend B&S!

Sent on 07/16/2018
    Bartleby & Sage 16
    Bartleby & Sage 17
    Bartleby & Sage 18

Lyn · Married on 12/04/2017

It was a pleasure working with Leslie and Molly. The food at our wedding was FANTASTIC (Poke? so cool.) and their day-of execution was great. Many thanks.

Sent on 12/16/2017

Karen · Married on 10/28/2017

I still cannot believe my luck in finding Bartleby and Sage and having the opportunity to work with them! The food, was AH-MAZING!! We had a lovely tasting over at their kitchens, and had the opportunity to taste test a variety of options before choosing them. We did a cocktail style wedding with lots of passed hors d'oeuvres, small plates, and a station, so the variety of food was unbelievable. Just to make your mouth water a little, we had: salmon, risotto, rack of lamb, ratatouille, short rib, potato cakes... YUM!! Just very high quality and delicious food. I don't normally care for wedding food, but this was so far from that. I'm already trying to come up with another event, just so I can have them cater. :) Overall, I really couldn't have asked for a better caterer. Leslie was also the day-of coordinator, and she was just so great in making sure I wasn't frazzled, that everything went smoothly, that the guests were comfortable, and that the flow of the wedding went as we had envisioned it. Leslie, I can't thank you enough! You truly were my guardian angel through all the wedding planning!

Sent on 12/05/2017

Aris · Married on 10/14/2017

It is hard to find words that do justice to the memorable, breath taking and relaxing experience that it was working with Bartleby & Sage. We worked with them to cater our wedding this past fall and from first tasting to the night of the event they went above and beyond to understand our hopes, dreams and vision. Beyond just great customer service and listening skills Bartleby & Sage made us feel like family. In the weeks leading up to our wedding those closest to us kept asking how and why we were so calm? The answer is three beautiful words, Bartleby & Sage. To us these words mean: trust, friendship, creativity, innovation, organization, inspiration, food lovers, dream makers. 6 weeks after our big day and friends and family are still talking about the food and how smoothly the whole day ran. Thank you Bartleby & Sage from our heart to yours!

Sent on 12/06/2017

Suzette · Married on 09/16/2017

Leslie at Bartleby & Sage was amazing to work with. Her recommendation for a venue was spot on. She literally catered to our every need from our cocktail hour hors d'oeuvres to our dinner and dessert buffets. We were told by many of our guests that it was the best wedding they had ever been to! We highly recommend her and her wonderful team!!

Sent on 12/03/2017

Leslie · Married on 02/11/2017

Thank goodness I fell in love with Bartleby & Sage's Truffle Macaroni and Cheese! If I had not tasted one of their signature dishes at a charity event, I would never have asked them to cater my mother's 75th birthday lunch! The chef, caterer, and server were all unbelievably pleasant to work with, and my mother and the rest of our party guests could not stop talking about how amazing and beautiful their food was! From the finger sandwiches and other appetizers to the kale salad and roast chicken and that magic mac & cheese, everyone was charmed and well-fed. The birthday cake (with real flowers crowning it) was perfection! I look forward to another special occasion so that we can use Bartleby & Sage again!

Sent on 03/18/2017

Sarah · Married on 02/04/2017

We booked Bartleby and Sage for our "after the wedding" reception at the Brooklyn Historical Society. I couldn't be more pleased with Greta and the Bartleby staff. Greta was so accommodating and flexible with my schedule. She understood our vision very quickly and I completely trusted her to help us budget and brings things to life. She also served as our day of coordinator. She handled all the details beautifully and never made me feel like I was a bother even though I occasionally ran late to a vendor meeting or was indecisive about some details. Greta went out of her way to make things fun and comfortable for us and we couldn't be happier. Our reception was so seamless and memorable. My husband mentioned that his drink was never empty because a staff member kept bringing him refills. Our guests are still commenting on how charming and plentiful the staff was. These are the kind of people you hope to work with while planning your wedding!

I couldn't recommend Greta and Bartleby highly enough.

Sent on 02/26/2017

Amanda · Married on 10/15/2016

We *loved* working with Leslie and Greta from the very beginning of the wedding planning process until the very end of our wedding reception (and beyond, we're still thrilled!). My correspondence with Bartleby & Sage began with Leslie but we worked almost exclusively with Greta and I'm sure we would have been in great hands with either. Greta was a lifesaver and she also performed double duty for us as our day-of coordinator.

Your caterer plays such a large role in your wedding that you really want to make sure that you pick well. I could not have imagined our wedding without Bartleby & Sage. First and foremost, their food is delicious and their skills are so versatile that they can accommodate any taste. Everything from the hors d'oeuvres to the entrees to dessert was beautifully presented and prepared. You will not be disappointed!

Secondly, catering in NYC is such a jaw dropping expense. Having shopped around a bit before deciding on Bartleby & Sage, I think you get an extraordinary value for all that they offer. I thought that we were working with a reasonable budget but some vendors will leave you feeling as though you are scraping the bottom of the barrel of their services. Bartleby & Sage let us know right away that they would be able to offer our guests the experience we wanted with the budget we had available and there were no surprises or hidden expenses anywhere. They were incredibly honest and upfront at every stage which was a huge relief. Their food is so modern and excellent, the staff was attentive and gracious (and they made sure that my now husband (!!) and I had plenty to eat!), dessert was beautifully laid out and every question or concern was immediately addressed.

As our day of coordinator, Greta took everything off my shoulders and made sure that the day went smoothly and that everything was where it was supposed to be at the right time. That is priceless! I could not recommend them more highly.

Sent on 10/20/2016

Jacqueline · Married on 07/30/2016

Bartleby and Sage catered our wedding in Brooklyn on July 30, 2016 at The Green Building. When we were initially looking for a wedding caterer, we were between them and a different company. We actually went with the other company first but after a few months, we realized the other company was not a good fit for us, so we canceled that contract and switched to Bartleby. I cannot say enough how happy we are that we made the switch. First, if you are choosing between catering companies (which I am sure you are), just go with Bartleby and Sage - you wont regret it.
    On to WHY…
    We worked with Leslie to coordinate the perfect menu, rentals, layout, staffing and everything else related to catering. She was AMAZING. I won’t put it past me that I am a demanding bride. I had a million questions, am very meticulous, and had a plan of my own. Leslie was able to handle all of this with stride, always responding in a timely manner and making me feel like everything was under control. These are not things you always look for in reviews of vendors, but let me tell you – it is very important (and also part of why we canceled the other caterer).
    The food was fantastic – we had a raw bar, passed hors d'oeuvres, and a cheese station during cocktail hour. Then a plated salad followed by a buffet dinner. The staff was great at making sure everything ran smoothly, wine was poured during dinner and that everyone was getting food during cocktail hour. Food was abundant, delicious, and NO ONE left hungry.
    Leslie was there the entire night making sure things were running smoothly and that everything was on point.
    On a personal note, Leslie is also lovely to work with. She knows catering very well, knows what she is doing and is a sweet woman.
    I really can’t say enough how happy we are that we made the switch to Bartleby and Sage and will recommend to anyone and use them for future events. Thank you!!!

Sent on 08/19/2016

Jackie · Married on 07/23/2016

Bartleby & Sage was the perfect choice for our wedding reception! They specifically tailored our menu to fit our budget and they were extremely responsive and professional throughout the whole planning process. Although we didn't use a wedding planner or decorator, Greta made the whole wedding reception run so smoothly. She set up our DIY decorations and welcome table for us and coordinated the timing of the reception with our band. The food was delicious and we got a lot of compliments from our guests! I highly recommend Bartleby & Sage- they made everything so easy for us so we could just enjoy the wedding day!

Sent on 08/03/2016

Cindy · Married on 11/28/2015

My husband and I hired Leslie to cater our wedding at The Foundry in November 2015, and we are so glad we did! There were so many wonderful parts about working with Leslie (and toward the end of the process Greta as well) that it's difficult to know where to begin.

Leslie was always responsive and flexible from the first time I reached out, and she truly was creative with thinking of different ways to customize our menu and organize our venue and timeline. The food was absolutely delicious, and guests were so impressed by the displays (we chose to do food stations for dinner, and a cheese table with passed canapes for cocktail hour) and service. We felt very well attended to throughout the evening without the service being overbearing, and we also believed we received a very fair price for the incredible quality of food and service.

Initially, I did not plan to use the day-of-coordinating services offered at an incremental cost, because I'm a very organized person so thought I could handle it all, but a few weeks before the wedding I realized I could use the help, and hiring Leslie and Greta to assist was a wonderful decision! They took charge leading up to the event and on the day-of, and I never had to think twice about whether or not something was on track. They executed my vision beautifully, and allowed me to enjoy our special day, worry-free.

The only slight negative (which really was not their fault) was that the end cost for renting furniture/place settings/etc. from a third party vendor came in quite a bit higher than initially estimated by Bartleby & Sage. However, we were ultimately thrilled with the choices in furniture Leslie helped us with, and it was worth the cost.

We could not recommend Leslie and Greta more highly - particularly for events in the NYC area, which they clearly know very well. They were exceptional on all fronts, and we are so grateful that we found them!

Sent on 12/26/2015

I have been a patron for years at the restaurant in Long Island City and recently had Bartleby and Sage cater an event. I cannot say enough about this team; the expertise, attention to detail, ease in which they work and their phenomenal palette for flavor and food selection is without a doubt the best I have ever experienced. I will never work with anyone else. If your in the market I would definitely give them a try, as I'm sure your experience will be similar to mine.

Sent on 11/30/2015

Jessie · Married on 09/05/2015

Bartleby & Sage were absolutely wonderful to work with. We got married in Brooklyn on Saturday, and couldn't have been happier with our experience. They worked within our relatively tight budget to give us a wedding that seemed much more expensive than it was. Our food was outstanding (people raved about both the hors d'oeuvres and the dinner - even the salad got raves), the service was extremely efficient, warm, and professional (also a really good-looking crew, incidentally), and the space was set up quickly and looked absolutely beautiful.
    Mostly, though, I have to give a HUGE shout-out to Greta, our day-of-coordinator. Our wedding, honestly, would just not have happened without her. She was extremely competent, kind, responsive to all emails/phone calls, worked with all of our other vendors, and just pulled the whole thing together beautifully. Worth every penny!
    We love these guys!

Sent on 09/09/2015

We worked with Bartleby and Sage for the catering for our wedding, Leslie and Greta specifically. They were very professional and responsive through the whole process. They helped us customize our menu, the hor d'ouerves specifically, to really showcase little details about each of us. They made modern and delicious versions of a lot of favorite foods, presented in adorable and memorable ways (mini grilled cheeses with tomato soup shots, mini fish and chips in a flower pot, etc). The guests loved them! The dinner menu was also excellent - delicious and beautifully presented. Lastly, the rental process was seamless - Leslie/Greta were very helpful and made it very simple. Catering staff was also excellent, very professional!

Sent on 01/27/2015

Tracey · Married on 10/04/2014

I am forever grateful for Leslie, Greta, and Michael for helping my husband and I have the most amazing wedding ever.

Our initial wedding venue had an unfortunate closure just months before our anticipated wedding date, and my husband and I had to scramble to book a whole new venue, on a new date and hire all new vendors in just a matter of months. It would not have been possible had we not contacted Leslie.
    Leslie was extremely helpful from beginning to end. She answered all of our questions quickly and she explained everything and was very patient with my husband and I. There were tons of decisions we had to make and she walked us through everything and offered so many helpful suggestions. She also was kind enough to refer us to some other amazing vendors.

We were lucky enough to have both Leslie and Greta assist with planning our wedding. They were both so incredibly knowledgeable about how to set up the space, how to set up the timeline for the night, and they paid so much attention to details that I never even would have thought of.

They were so professional and on top of everything, that it was just a complete joy to work with them.
    The day of the wedding was just amazing. Everything was so organized. Michael was our Event Captain and everything went so smoothly. The venue looked absolutely gorgeous! It was more beautiful than I could even have imagined.

The food was hands down just incredible. Two words: Pie Station. You will not be sorry. I could rave more about the food, however, there’s a word limit to this review!

Our guests are still raving about the food, the décor, the servers, everything! It was really just a magical and wonderful experience and it totally wouldn’t have been possible without Bartleby & Sage. If you are looking for a caterer out there who not only has amazing food, but amazing service, incredible professionalism, and just completely knows what they’re doing, look no further than Bartleby & Sage.

Sent on 12/02/2014

Bridget · Married on 09/27/2014

Stop your search for a caterer because you have found them: Bartleby & Sage. Working with Greta was an absolute dream and I really just cannot recommend her highly enough. Let her help you! Because you need the help, we all need the help! Weddings are a nightmare if you don't know what you're doing, and how on earth would you know what you're doing?? Chances are you've never done this before, but Greta and Bartleby & Sage? They've done it a few times and they know what they are doing. Greta was an angel and she helped us at every step along the way: from picking rentals, to recommending other vendors (all great), to even helping us find our venue, to (most importantly) being our day of coordinator...I would have completely lost my mind without her.

Ok, so now that all that coordination/planning stuff is out of the way (and really, that is the best money you will spend for your wedding...it is NOT that much more to have them help you with planning coordination, and the value goes so far beyond the price)...let's talk about food. Oh my god, the food. We knew we wanted something other than the chicken/fish/steak you get at 90% of weddings (if that's what you want, I am sure they can do it better than anyone else), and we loved that we could do multiple food stations with them. My husband is from Nashville and we met in NYC, so we went with the Tennessee Whole Hog station (whole hog plus greens, slaw, biscuits), and the New York station (salmon, wild mushroom ravioli, kale salad). My mouth is watering now just thinking about it. It's almost a month later and I am STILL getting compliments on the food. In my experience with weddings (and we've been to about 20 in the last few years), people don't really notice or talk about the food. Not the case here...people couldn't stop talking about it and we got cleaned out. I haven't even mentioned the hors d'oeuvres and the pies (all so good). I'm running out of space so I'll just say: HIRE THEM, you will thank me.

Sent on 10/21/2014