A Swanky Affair Reviews

56 | Durham, NC

56 Reviews for A Swanky Affair

Hailey · Married on 09/08/2018

Amanda provided month-of coordination services for my wedding, and working with her was one of the best decisions I made while planning my wedding. I had hired most of my other vendors, but didn't know how everything was going to come together and I didn't want all of the details to fall on me and my family on my wedding day. At first, I was worried that hiring a coordinator was an extra expense and wasn't sure that I really needed one, but after meeting with Amanda, I knew I needed her help! She knows her stuff, and I could tell that she knew exactly what I needed, and that everything would go smoothly under her direction.

When I sent all of my other vendor contracts to Amanda for review, she thought of things that never would have crossed my mind. She provided great feedback and helped me with key decisions related to the wedding day. She was super responsive to every question/email/text I had. Our rehearsal was quick and easy, and everything on the wedding day was flawless (if there were any issues, I still don't know about them to this day because she just handled things!). She was there super early helping other vendors get everything delivered and set up and was around every time I needed something or had a question.

In the end, our wedding was everything that we wanted, and I don't know how I could have done it without Amanda. She had worked with most of my other vendors before, and having a vendor team that knew each other and worked well together made things even better. If you want to fully enjoy your wedding day with no stress, you need Amanda!

Karen · Married on 06/24/2018

Amanda was simply THE BEST. Originally, I had no intention of hiring a wedding coordinator, but as the wedding date got closer, I realized that it would be in our best interest to have some help on the day of. From our first conversation, I could tell that Amanda was incredibly organized, responsive, kind, and friendly. It wasn't in our original budget to hire her, so we moved some things around to make room for her. Absolutely the best money we spent. If you're debating about whether or not to hire a coordinator, or Amanda for that matter, I say just DO IT. It is worth every thing. We hired her for day of coordination, which begins a month before the wedding. She asked me questions about things I hadn't even thought about! She led our rehearsal which was so important as we had no idea what we were doing. On the day of our wedding, Amanda kept us all on track with timing, she made sure all the vendors had everything as requested, bustled my dress, and even had an emergency kit which came in super handy because I got red lipstick on my dress right before the ceremony! I cannot recommend Amanda highly enough. I can't even imagine what our wedding day would've been like without her. THANK YOU AMANDA!!

Juli · Married on 05/05/2018

Let me start by saying, I was one of those brides that brides that thought, "why in the world would I pay for a coordinator- I'm organized!" Then I began working in the wedding industry and found myself elbows deep in wedding details for several weddings all at once. I am the Assistant Manager at The Cookery (here in Durham) and my husband and I could not have wished for things to run more seamless with Amanda. I have seen her lead rehearsals, discuss family matters, and run intricate weddings. I worked with her professionally, before personally, and that is how I knew we had to have her! She booked us around the 6 month out mark and allowed me to check-in anytime I needed (via email) with any questions I had. Like, "what do most people do about XYZ?" At the 1 month out mark her services really came to life! We began communicating daily, confirming the timeline, vendors set-up locations, breakfast for the bridal party, etc. Amanda was extremely quick to respond, professional, timely, and was always confident. She made us feel comfortable in any decision we made, because she would simply get it done on the day of. After working on the "other side" of this industry, I do not feel as though words truly explain how important Amanda was to our day. She managed it all, and yes, I was a DIY bride so there was a lot to manage! 4-5 days before the wedding, she came to my in-laws house and loaded her car with boxes full of vases, photos, ribbon wands, champagne flutes, etc. Our family members keep saying, "Wow, she really was worth every penny!"

You impressed us all, Amanda! Thank you for everything.
    - Juli & Alex Richani

PS. I am sorry if I flashed you while you were under my dress, fixing my bustle! Haha :)

Jane · Married on 03/24/2018

Preparing for my daughter's wedding in Durham was filled with challenges, as both she and her fiancé lived out of the country, and I (as MOB) lived out of town. However, the best decision we made was to hire Amanda Scott with A Swanky Affair to help us navigate the process. Amanda's familiarity and comfort with the Durham area alleviated any need for us to individually investigate and interview the large number of potential vendors there. After understanding the style of the wedding and the bride's and groom's preferences, she was able to simplify the decision process on many levels. Amanda was prompt and professional for the entire planning process, and her services for the rehearsal and for the day of the wedding were superb and allowed the MOB to relax and enjoy the weekend. I highly recommend Amanda and A Swanky Affair.

Gloria · Married on 11/04/2017

Amanda helped my daughter take her vision for the wedding and make it reality. She help direct us to great vendors and always available to answer questions. Also, the day of the wedding I worry about nothing. I really enjoyed the day. Amanda make sure everything was in place. Working with her was a great experience

Peggy · Married on 06/24/2017

My daughter was recently married in Durham. Since both families and her fiancé were out of town and she was starting her pediatric residency at Duke, a wedding planner was a must. The young couple spoke with a few wedding planners and chose Amanda Scott of A Swanky Affair. Amanda was the perfect combination of low key (for my stressed out, long work hours daughter) and very organized (for the "I am trying not to be overbearing but I am way out on the west coast" mother). Amanda provided a monthly check list which my daughter and her fiancé were able to handle fairly well. She handled anxious emails from California with reassuring replies. But the best of all was the rehearsal and day of care she gave us. She worked so well with our priest and church, had a detailed time line for all involved parties, and was quietly and calmly everywhere on the wedding day keeping everything running smoothly. We all relaxed and so enjoyed the day and suddenly it was over! But there was Amanda and her sweet assistant packing everything up and getting it to our car allowing us to just savor the memory of a great day! I highly recommend A Swanky Affair to plan your event! Thanks Amanda!!

Michele · Married on 04/22/2017

Amanda Scoot is the best wedding/event planner ever. Her knowledge of all things pertaining to planning a wedding is outstanding. She can do it all from big picture to the smallest detail. Every vendor we work with on our daughter's wedding said Amanda is the best, we love working with her because of her attention to all details. She was a delight to work with and with her guidance our daughter's wedding was a dream come true,everything we wanted it to be!

Mary · Married on 04/01/2017

Hiring Amanda Scott was the best decision made in my daughter's wedding. She handles as many or as few details as you need, all with professionalism that comes with being highly knowledgeable and organized. So many vendors assured me that we were in great hands with Amanda as our wedding planner. Bride, groom and all family are from out of state and with Amanda's guidance, the "destination" wedding in Durham ran without a hitch! We were able to relax and enjoy the entire day because, with Amanda's guidance, we had checked off every box and she was subtly making sure everything ran like clockwork. Put your mind at ease - just hire Amanda.

Amanda came recommended by friend in the industry, and I cannot thank them enough. Amanda was able to take my vision of my wedding and make it into reality.

At first I was kind of skeptical as it's not know if I truly needed a wedding planner, but after talking to Amanda I realize that I wanted her to be there on my day with us. She has amazing insight, the ability to understand what you're saying even though you may not be saying the right words, is highly organized, friendly, so funny, and just has the ability to take what you want and make it come to life. From going with me to meet vendors, to helping me pin things on Pinterest, just showing me different reference points online, Amanda truly went above and beyond what was asked of her so that I could get the wedding I have always wanted.At one point the week of my wedding I got sick with the flu, and Amanda offered to run all of my errands for me so I could stay home and get better for the wedding day.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Amanda as a wedding or event planner. She is absolutely amazing and will make your day incredibly memorable and wonderful!

Jennifer · Married on 06/11/2016

Amanda is the absolute BEST at what she does. She came recommended to me by a friend in the industry. She matched my personality and attention to detail amazingly! I am very organized and loved to have things planned out down to the minute details. Amanda is exactly the same which made for a perfect match. She thought of things my mom and I would have never dreamed of. She was always prepared and quick to respond to any questions or concerns we had. Her experience was priceless during planning our event. There were some hiccups within the week/days leading up to our wedding due to issues with our venue. Amanda stepped up and took care of everything without me or my husband ever knowing! She helped my parents comb through every issue that arose and used her networking in the industry to help make the best of our situation. I CANNOT speak HIGHLY enough about her! She is the best at what she does and you would be making a mistake if you do not use Amanda and A Swanky Affair!

Nancy · Married on 06/11/2016

Amanda Scott from A Swanky Affair was an excellent wedding planner. She is very knowledgeable about all aspects of wedding planning. She is very detail oriented and so easy to work with. She is very prompt with calls and emails. She takes time to get to know the bride and groom to see what they envision. My daughter and I thought at first we would not need a wedding planner, but after thinking about it we decided to hire one. All I can say is thank goodness we had Amanda! Everything was beautiful! I highly recommend her!

Leah · Married on 05/21/2016

Amanda is a serious professional! I have to admit, my husband and I were not easy customers. We live in NYC, we work long hours and answer emails rarely (but expected our emails to be answered promptly), we had no idea what we wanted for our wedding (other than that is should be "very nice"), we wanted the best Durham had to offer and we also wanted to know that we were paying the best price for it and we made crazy requests. Not only did Amanda deal with all of our requests like a pro, she had the experience and the intuition to take our limited guidance and weave it into an amazingly beautiful wedding that was exactly what we wanted. I do not regret a single cent that I spent on the wedding at her suggestion and though I saw certain elements of my wedding for the first time when I got to the venue on my wedding day - it was all exactly as I pictured it in my head. There were many times in the wedding process where I wonder how people plan a wedding without a good wedding planner. My wedding would not have been the same if we didn't have Amanda - we simply wouldn't have known what our options were. Furthermore, I firmly believe Amanda saved us a ton of money by introducing us to a up-and-coming vendors who charged less, telling us what items to cut because guests would never care, and telling us when a vendor is over charging. I highly recommend Amanda - she may be expensive, but she is worth every penny!

Anna · Married on 04/02/2016

I came across Amanda's name when looking for wedding planners in the Durham area and was immediately told by friends and family that she was the BEST wedding planner in the area. From our very first phone conversation, I knew she would be absolutely invaluable to the planning process. Needless to say, she lived up to her stellar reputation in the months that followed. She got to know me and my style and helped me select from vendors that were within my budget and fit with my Duke Gardens wedding. She helped organize receipts and contracts, drew up both a budget and planning timeline, and made sure that all the vendors that I was working with gave me the best prices and the highest quality work. When one vendor planned to charge me extra to set up chairs at the wedding when the venue refused to, she knew the venue contract so well that she remembered they had promised to do so, saving me several hundred dollars. She saved me money with many other vendors as well, and she also kept me sane while I attempted to plan a wedding from out of town while in the midst of an incredibly busy work year. From the far-ahead planning to the day of coordination, Amanda's hard work and dedication to my event was unparalleled; she is one of the best in the industry (my in-laws said she was the best of the three planners that they had worked with for their children's weddings). She knew all the vendors in the area, their ins and outs, pros and cons. Every single vendor I worked with seemed to breathe a sigh of relief when I told them I was working with Amanda - "she's the best", the all remarked. The wedding day itself went incredibly smoothly, and was more perfect than I ever could have imagined. I could never have done it without her, and I would recommend her to any friend or family member without a moment's hesitation.

Kate · Married on 11/28/2015

Amanda was suggested as a resource to my (now) husband and I by an acquaintance who is also a part of the wedding industry in North Carolina. We had just moved to the area from the Midwest, starting new jobs and knew nothing about The Triangle … let alone how and where to start planning a wedding!! Amanda was a godsend. Her al la cart options helped us build a package that allowed Amanda to be hands on from the beginning to the moment the last guest boarded the bus at the end of the reception. Where I believe Amanda truly excels is her attentiveness to the couple. While we were getting married in our new “home state,” it was considered a destination wedding for the majority of our guests – we wanted to be cost conscious and not go crazy with the budget, but also wanted to throw a great party knowing that many people had traveled to celebrate the day. If you’re in the middle of planning a wedding, you know this is not an easy combination of requests. Amanda really listened to our vision and was able to fill-in the gaps when we didn’t know the correct approach. She always made sure to check costs with us before proceeding with any contract – her guidance and suggestions were spot-on and really crafted the event, but we always felt like we were in control of the final decision. Throughout I found the entire wedding planning process very overwhelming. Amanda truly listened and was always willing to contribute more or less depending on how comfortable I felt making the decision. Not only did I fully trust her judgement of the industry, but I knew she understood our vision and felt extremely confident with her at the helm. Amanda also helped match us with top notch vendors, everything from the photography to the cake was amazing. We have had so many positive comments about our day from guests, even months later and we contribute all of it to Amanda. I highly recommend working with A Swanky Affair ... you can’t go wrong!

We were so happy to work with Amanda for our wedding!
    Throughout the planning process, Amanda was attentive, organized and thoughtful. She understood our vision for the day and did everything she could to help make that dream a reality. She provided helpful tips and resources that smoothed out the process and kept us on track. We so appreciated her answering our many questions and e-mails with her generous knowledge. Her recommendations for vendors were always on point. She had an a-la-carte option that allowed us to choose a planning package that worked best for us. Her timeline and "all-knowing" folder was a lifeline. She made sure all of our vendors knew where to go and took the reigns of the rehearsal so that all our attendants and family knew what to do. The day of our wedding went so smoothly, and I have no doubt that it was in large part because of Amanda's hard work behind the scenes.

We are so grateful that we picked A Swanky Affair as our wedding planner!

Lacey · Married on 10/10/2015

Amanda was the best hire we made for our wedding, and I would hire her again for triple the price. She’s that good. Amanda is incredibly detail oriented. She has so much experience with this that she has seen it all and that’s a huge benefit. She knows the good and the not so great vendors, and she can really make recommendations based on whatever you have in mind. Something that I loved about Amanda--- never once did she TELL me what to do. She would give a number of ideas, but in the end she truly let me make the decisions, and never once did I feel I was being pressured into one direction or another. She did however steer us from two really big bad decisions that we almost made and I am so grateful that she did that. She was awesome at keeping everything on track, and giving us regular updates on what needed to happen when. She was also great at coordinating all the vendors, both in terms of payments and day of schedule. I’m SO glad she handled all that. She’s super professional and very direct, which worked really well for me.

One other thing I wanted to mention—for the day of the wedding. SHE IS A ROCKSTAR. All the vendors were on time, everything was somehow exactly like what I envisioned, and Amanda somehow made even those last minute problems work out. She also kept everything running smoothly and on schedule. (I didn’t even know a wedding schedule was a thing! But it is SO worth it!) My Mom didn’t even stress that day, and I thought she would be a total disaster to be honest. But by that point she trusted Amanda completely, and there was zero stress. My parents also had worked with Amanda to plan some little surprises for my husband and I over the course of that day, including people who I didn’t know were on the guest list, surprise singers, and a wonderful artist that painted our wedding. I didn’t have a clue about ANY of that. Amanda had to keep up with that, and somehow not tell me! I’m really not sure how she did it.

Katie · Married on 06/13/2015

Amanda was an absolutely wonderful wedding planner!! I was busy trying to graduate from two graduate programs while planning for my wedding so needless to say I didn't have a ton of time to devote to wedding planning. Having Amanda as a wedding planner was a huge time-saver for me. She was always on-time, professional, had great advice, and was really easy and fun to work with. She was able to help us identify ways to save money while still achieving the look that we wanted. On the day of the wedding everything went very smoothly and the reception space was set up exactly how we imagined it. When it was looking like we were going to run out of liquor for our signature cocktail, she ran out to the liquor store and made sure that we would have enough for the the rest of the night. Having Amanda help us coordinate our wedding really allowed my husband and I to enjoy the day. I would highly recommend Amanda!!!

Kiley · Married on 05/24/2015

I honestly don’t understand how any weddings happen without Amanda. She’s the most organized person I’ve ever encountered. We live 500 miles from our wedding venue, and she scheduled all the meetings we needed to have over one weekend so we wouldn’t have to travel too much, then she took care of everything else either by email or phone. She is clever about making a budget work and honest about what should you should splurge and save on. Her connections with vendors allow her to get discounts for her clients. She responds to emails and phone calls in about 30 seconds. Our wedding day went so smoothly thanks to her, and it was wonderful to be able to enjoy the day without worrying about the details. It was above and beyond my expectations!

Christina · Married on 05/23/2015

Amanda is the absolute BEST. What a fantastic person to work with. She was extremely responsive to email, always willing to answer any question I had, sometimes with more information than I expected! She double-checked each and every detail, leaving me the day before my wedding realizing how relaxed I felt knowing that she had everything under control! She was absolutely critical to us having a wonderful day. I would recommend her to anyone going through a wedding or other large event. She is meticulous and honest. Two key things I wanted out of a wedding planner!

Amanda is FANTASTIC!! We were planning our wedding in Durham but lived 2 hours away. She was always just a phone call or email away. She made the best suggestions of local businesses. She was always professional and put my mind at ease! I have already told friends to use her!!

Courtney · Married on 08/30/2014

I could not have made it through the wedding planning process without Amanda! I hired her for her "weekend of" planning services, and she started preparations about a month out. I had NO IDEA how many details were involved in executing a wedding! Amanda is extremely professional, one of the most efficient and professional people I have ever met. She handled all of my vendors, ensuring their prompt arrival. I was so happy to not have to worry with any of that. She has impressive knowledge of the wedding business and has made connections with wonderful vendors, several of which I hired for their services. She kept me sane and talking to her always put me at ease. She was very quick to respond to my emails or phone calls. In our planning process, she brought up wedding details I never would have thought of, things that would have fallen by the wayside without her! She literally thinks of EVERYTHING. I cannot express her value and professionalism enough. I would definitely recommend her to all of my friends!

Kelly · Married on 07/12/2014

When we were planning a wedding from out of state, we knew we would need some help coordinating the day-of. From our first phone call, I immediately clicked with Amanda. She was enthusiastic, and had great tips on how to implement our ideas. She has totally customizable service, meaning you can choose the exact aspects you're looking for, within your budget.

We hired Amanda for the day-of coordination - my fiance and I wanted to do the planning ourselves, but we needed help to make sure everything went smoothly on the actual day. We also added on catering guidance. Amanda worked in catering previously, and has a good handle of what to look for in catering contracts. She set up tastings with local caterers, and was able to accommodate our short trip in town.

We met with Amanda at the venue a couple times, and she was always very responsive via email and phone. I know she handles a lot of events, but I never felt rushed.

On the wedding day, everything went smoothly! I heard of tiny incidents after the fact that she took care of immediately. It was great to know that our wedding was in extremely capable hands, and my family and I could just enjoy the day. From the small things (making sure I had my shoes and phone in the getaway car) to the big things (making sure everything was on schedule!), she handled it all with ease and a smile.

She has a great reputation in Durham, and I can attest that she lives up to the hype! I cannot recommend her enough!

Kate · Married on 06/28/2014

Amanda Scott is truly awesome. We hired her to begin helping us the month of the wedding. There were so many details I hadn't thought of, and so many loose ends to tie up. Amanda was extremely professional, responsive, and fun to work with. I felt so safe and comfortable that she had everything under control, and I was right! Both the wedding ceremony and reception were so smooth and flawless, which meant Jeff and I just got to relax and have fun. Did I mention she also set up and managed probably 15 different family DIY projects? She kept track of all the gifts and cards. I didn't have to worry about a thing. I would recommend A Swanky Affair in a heartbeat!

Holly · Married on 06/07/2014

Amanda was an exceptional wedding coordinator. She is very organized, knows amazing vendors in the area, and has great recommendations. She thinks about all the little things to make sure your day is seamless. I really didn't worry about a thing the day of, because I knew Amanda had it covered. I really enjoyed working with her and would recommend her to anyone getting married in the Triangle area!

Donna · Married on 05/31/2014

During the last year of planning, my goal as the MOB was to give my daughter the wedding of her dreams. Without Amanda Scott, this goal would have been unattainable. During all of my many emails, questions, and concerns, she was ever patient, tolerant, understanding, and always ready to assist with her high level of expertise. On the day of the wedding, I wanted to be able to enjoy the event, stress free, and to leave the details to another. Amanda not only provided orchestrated a fairy tale day for my daughter and her wonderful new hubby, but also gave me a mother of the bride day to cherish. Thank you Amanda....