Santorini offers gorgeous weather, Greek hospitality, charming cave hotels and exquisite food perfect for any honeymooner.
White-washed houses with blue shutters, domed churches and killer sunsets are all part of the package in Santorini. The perfect blend of quaint, greek charm and elegant, luxurious hotels. Visitors have the chance to stay in caves with private plunge pools perched on the caldera overlooking the mediterranean. Or spend their days on rainbow beaches in black, white and red sand! Greece is well known for its exquisite food with everything from traditional, waterfront tavernas at Amoudi Bay or cliff-side restaurants at Fira. Dine on street food like gyros and baklava in the daytime and experience the distinguished menus of passionate chefs in the evening. Santorini also has some great vineyards and an afternoon having a tipple with your new spouse is an excellent way to spend the day. History buffs will be in their element with ancient sights, millenniums old such as Akrotiri and rumors that the waters just off the coast hold the secrets of the sunken city of Atlantis. After all that delicious food, it’s easy to stay active with rewarding hikes all over the island, quad biking, cliff jumping and kayaking the warm mediterranean ocean. Santorini is everything you see in the movies that feature it and more!
A honeymoon in Santorini will be one you'll never forget!
When to Go
June to September is the peak season when the air is warm and the water is perfect for swimming but it is busy and prices will be higher. May and late September to October are the shoulder seasons with lower prices but still pleasant weather which make it an excellent time for eating, hiking and exploring. Prices drop off from November to March when the island can be rainy and many of the hotels and restaurants are closed or operating a limited schedule.
Top Sights and Activities
- Cliff Jumping at Amoudi Bay What could be more exhilarating and refreshing than jumping off the rocks into the crystal clear mediterranean waters on a baking hot day?
- Take a Donkey Ride in Fira: Donkeys have long been part of the Santorini heritage so take a ride up and down the 588 steps to the bay.
- Hit the Open Road on a Quad Bike: Navigating black sand beaches with the wind in your hair and your new spouse at your side? What could be better than that?
- Explore the Whitewashed Building of Oia: Meandering streets, narrow alleys and cave houses all perched on the edge of the caldera with the turquoise Mediterranean beneath make this an ideal spot to get lost.
- Hike the Fira Trail at Sunset: This three-hour hike from Fira to Oia is best taken at sunset when the weather has cooled and you’ll get spectacular, crimson vistas along the way.
- Hire a Boat and Explore: Take a catamaran sailing trip for the chance to explore secluded beaches and secret coves.
- Take a trip to Nea Kameni: A short boat ride will take you to the this volcanic island where you can hike the crater and swim in hot springs.
- Relax in an Outdoor Cinema: As the day cools off, watch the sunset with a glass of wine before the show starts at 9:30 p.m.
- Go Swimming at Red Beach: It’s a short hike to get to this copper-colored cove which means it often more secluded and private.
- Visit Akrotiri: Explore these fascinating ruins dating from 1627 B.C.! Having been destroyed and covered in volcanic ash, they were excavated in the 60s. Visitors can now admire the fantastically preserved frescoes and artifacts.
- Visit a Winery: Santorini is known for its wine and two of the best places to experience a wine flight at Boutari and Santo wineries.
- Enjoy the Gorgeous Sunset: Pack a picnic and position yourself at the Oia viewing platform for a sunset you will never forget.
Get access to travel deals when you book your honeymoon through WeddingWire