Tavern on the Green

W 67th St & Central Park West, New York, NY 10023 Map · Phone number · Visit website

About Tavern on the Green

Tavern on the Green is a restaurant wedding venue located in New York City, New York that adds a magical, city backdrop to your wedding celebration. Located in Central Park, this historic venue has been a staple of New York City since 1934. Current co-owners Jim Caiola and David Salama reopened the Tavern with a redesigned space and menu that celebrates old-school New York tradition that features warm, celebratory dining spaces, seasonal American fare, classic cocktails, and a robust wine list. Executive Chef Bill Peet, selected by Jim and David themselves, has helped to redesign the Tavern’s cuisine with new and creative approaches to classic dishes.

Facilities and Capacity
The Tavern’s indoor space is perfect for an elegant dinner and/or wedding celebration with its vaulted ceilings, luxurious decor, and exposed beams. The Courtyard and South Terrace provide guests with twinkling bistro lights and a marvelous view of Manhattan’s skyline as well as the beautiful greenery of the Central Park landscape.

Tavern on the Green enjoys helping couples create a magnificent wedding ceremony that they will remember for years to come. Their professional staff can be there for you from the very start of the ceremony all the way to the last moments of the evening. They provide a wide range of services to couples, such as bartending and cake cutting. Wedding services offered include the following:

• Cocktail reception
  • Bartender(s)
  • Limited bar
  • Open bar

Cuisine
The professional and experienced staff at Tavern on the Green works closely with all their guests and couples to ensure their dream wedding comes to life. In addition, their culinary team can prepare top-rated, gourmet dishes that are sure to impress your wedding guests. From jumbo lump crabmeat cocktail to shaved sirloin steak sandwiches, Tavern on the Green has a variety of dishes that will keep you and your guests satisfied. Their menu features the following selections:

• Breakfast/brunch
  • Appetizers
  • Entrees
  • Side dishes
  • Hors d’oeuvres
  • Desserts

History
Tavern on the Green was originally designed by Calvert Vaux and built as a sheepfold in the 1880s to house the 700 Southdown sheep that grazed in Central Park’s Sheep Meadow. In 1934, Robert Moses recreated the building into a restaurant as part of an initiative to renovate Central Park. In 2014, Tavern on the Green returned to its inviting, tavern-inspired roots and brought local and artisanal food back to the forefront of the Tavern experience.

screen shot 2019 01 21 at 4 19 35 pm 51 3223

Tavern on the Green 4
Tavern on the Green 5
Tavern on the Green 6

Caitlin King · Married on 03/23/2019

The best venue I could have ever chosen!

Tavern on the Green exceeded my and my (now) husbands expectations. We were thrilled to host our wedding here from the start for the obvious reasons (iconic NYC venue, in Central Park etc.) but the venue itself, staff and the phenomenal onsite event planner, Kerry Neal-Shaw, took our wedding and reception to another level. They were so accommodating and open to every request and idea we had. For example, when I mentioned we'd likely have a lot of vodka drinkers, Kerry offered to create a separate vodka bar to help with congestion during our cocktail area. I had a semi unconventional idea of how I wanted each portion of our wedding/ reception to flow and the staff went above and beyond to make sure guests knew where to go and when. The food was also very important to us. We chose to have stations instead of traditional plated dinner and I can't recommend it more. The onsite event chef is AMAZING - we received compliments all night on how refreshing it was to have a great meal at a wedding. The sushi and southern comfort stations were standouts. The venue also provided the linens (they had a ton of color and fabric options to choose from) and the dinner table and chairs, which was a huge bonus to me not having to out source. The care and creativity that went into every detail of our wedding day surpassed anything I could have imagined and I'm so thankful to this wonderful venue for making our day spectacular!

Sent on 03/28/2019

Robert · Married on 08/25/2018

Please see the email I recently sent Audrey Anjos, Events Team Manager.
    Dear Audrey,
    It was lovely to receive your email.
    Both of us have mentioned that we couldn’t have asked for such a fantastic day and how perfect your venue was for our first meal together as a married couple.
    We largely have you to thank for that.
    It would be our pleasure to write as many glowing reviews about you and your team as you wish.
    Please, once again extended our thanks to all involved and if there are any sites you wish us to write on please don not hesitate to forward them to me so I place my words on them as soon as possible.
    But in the mean time we’ll place something on your facebook and instagram.
    Justine and I will definitely come back for a visit in the future.
    We wish you and all the staff at Tavern On The Green all our best wishes.
    Sincerely,
    Robert and Justine Battley.

Sent on 09/27/2018