2414 Fox Cross Road, Broomall, PA 19008 Map · Phone number · Visit website
Typical Price $1,199
  • Photos & Videos 32
  • Deals 1

About Secular Jewish Interfaith & Irish Weddings

** I do not always receive a text me about a pending inquiry. For fastest response, please write me here and let me know about yourselves (Jewish, interfaith, secular) -- but also send a text. TY! 267-902-7752.

The most important thing to know about me and "How is this officiant different from all other officiants?" is this. In the words of Rabbi Mordechai Kaplan: "I believe the past has a vote, but not a veto." While the traditions of any religion or culture are a great place to BEGIN the process of planning a ceremony, they do not dictate it -- esp. when they don’t reflect YOUR beliefs.

I NEVER officiate the same ceremony twice (and sadly, that is what so many officiants do!) I don't hand you two or three pre-scripted ceremonies and ask you to pick one. Worse, I don't do a ceremony written in the Middle Ages and which has been done for every couple, the exact same way, for 1,500 years, as so many denominations do. As if every two people are the same! As if broader human values have never changed! As if the scientific method was never discovered!

I take great care to learn about you, YOUR values, and create a ceremony that celebrates YOUR unique love story.

Probably 90% of the couples I marry are Catholic-Jewish partners, but I've married Quakers, Hindus, Baptists -- you name it! Non-Jewish couples who find me usually self-define as "spiritual but not religious." I like to believe I can create a ceremony with SO much more heart and soul than a Justice of the Peace would.

I'm ordained as a rabbi and legally able to perform marriages in every state; I've studied or worked in all non-Orthodox Jewish groups for 30 years: Reconstructionist, Secular Humanist, Reform, Conservative, Renewal.

I worked a first career as a journalist and I provide you with many resources to help you weigh your ceremony options.

And I'm a certified facilitator with Prepare & Enrich premarital prep program, an optional program whereby you each take a survey and learn about how much alike, and different, you are in the 9 key areas that determine long-term marital success. It is solidly based on the science of researchers like John Gottlieb and his Love Lab at the University of Oregon -- and I'm happy to offer this at no additional charge.

The P&E program is especially beneficial for couples who haven't been together for more than 3 or 4 years; where one or both partners have never been in a serious relationship before; or if you are interfaith and there are very likely many topics you should probably discuss, that you may not even realize you should discuss!

****************************************************************************************************************************************

As far as logistics, here is how the process works: FIRST, we have a phone call to "meet" (no obligation!) SECOND, I invite you to my home to brainstorm the MANY options you have for your ceremony; it takes about 2 hours (still no obligation!) THIRD, I write a ceremony based on your decisions: which readings, rituals, etc. you would like to include. You have total control over the content of your ceremony (though I naturally share opinions based on my experience.)

You make a 50% deposit to reserve your date whenever you are ready during that process. The balance is due by the wedding day.

By far the most popular (and unique) element of my ceremonies is what I call "The Love Story.” Here, I ask you each to answer questions about how you met, your first date, what qualities you fell in love with, etc. You would email me the answers privately – the surprise is half the fun!

I hope you can find time to read reviews other couples have left, as they really are the best testament to my work. Also, don't miss the 5-minute video posted here showing highlights of a co-officiated ceremony I conducted with an Episcopalian priest.

Lastly, I am HONORED to work with LGBT couples.

Congratulations on this joyous, exciting BIG step in your life!

-- Rabbi Joysa

Military honor guard.
Military honor guard.
Ketubah signing
Ketubah signing
It must have been hilarious!
It must have been hilarious!
Celtic-Catholic handfasting
Celtic-Catholic handfasting
Always gotta add a laugh or 2!
Always gotta add a laugh or 2!
Married the first time at 60+!
Married the first time at 60+!
Circling the groom 7 times
Perfect fall day
Perfect fall day
Packed room for ketubah signin
Packed room for ketubah signin
Love to add in some laughs!
Love to add in some laughs!
Ballroom at the Ben
Beautiful view by the river
Beautiful view by the river
Beautiful fall wedding.
Beautiful fall wedding.
Bride's son is her 'best man'
Bride's son is her 'best man'
Simple winter wedding outside.
Simple winter wedding outside.
Sunset ceremony, Delaware Rive
Sunset ceremony, Delaware Rive
df8732d8 10ee 401a 8ddb a041fe7d5c95 51 641024

Photos 31 Photos
Videos 1 Video

40 Reviews for Secular Jewish Interfaith & Irish Weddings

Valerie Seitz · Married on 10/09/2020

Inter-faith wedding ceremony officiant

To say we are pleased with Rabbi Joysa’s wedding ceremony for our son and his now wife, is an understatement. The ketubah signing and the ceremony were filled with heartfelt sincerity, beauty, helpful guidance to those that are of varied faiths and just the right amount of religiosity, given the fact that there were two faiths involved. It was a lovely day which began with a memorable ceremony and thanks to Rabbi Joysa will live forever within our hearts."

Sent on 10/20/2020
  • Rachel

Rachel McLaughlin · Married on 01/25/2020

What a wonderful officiant!

Joysa was an absolute DREAM to work with, from the first time we contacted her through the end of our wedding day.
    My husband was raised Christian and I was raised Jewish/Irish Catholic and we knew we wanted a Jewish ceremony but with a very humanistic feel to it that honored both of our backgrounds.
    Joysa provided us with a very in depth 1:1 session where she helped us explore the many ways to do our wedding ceremony. She is so creative and really wants couples to have ceremonies that feel true to them. She also provides couples with lots of written information/articles on the meaning behind different ceremony aspects, and articles with advice for engaged people/newlyweds. We also chose to participate in the PrepareEnrich program with Joysa for pre-marital counseling (optional!) and we felt that working through that information with Joysa helped us learn how to navigate our new marriage together.
    Even many weeks later, we still get compliments on how personal and moving our ceremony was! The guests and my husband and I really enjoyed having the LoveStory portion of the ceremony and we felt it was one of our favorite parts of the day. She also led a beautiful ketubah signing where we played "Jew-pardy" with our families, which was a really fun twist on the traditional signing.
    We would recommend Joysa 1,000% to any potential clients. She is a beautiful person inside and out and really goes above and beyond to make couple's wedding days meaningful.

Sent on 08/07/2020

Secular Jewish Interfaith & Irish Weddings FAQ

• What is the typical price for your wedding services?
    $ 1199
  • Which of the following are included in the price?
    Premarital Counseling
  • What is the starting price for your wedding services?
    $ 650
  • Does starting price include the ceremony rehearsal?
  • What is the starting price for ceremony rehearsals?
    $ 100
  • What is the starting price for pre-marital counseling (per session)?
    $ 35
  • What types of weddings and events do you provide services for?
    Non-religious
    Interfaith
    Ceremony Rehearsal
    Vow Renewal
    Civil Union
    Single Religion
  • What services do you provide?
    Allow Couples' Own Vows
    Licensed
    Premarital Counseling
  • What religious affiliations do you serve?
    Agnostic
    Pagan
    Presbyterian
    Quaker
    Unitarian
  • On average, how long are wedding ceremonies you officiate?
    Less than 30 mins.
  • In which states are you licensed?
    AL
    WA
    WV
    WI
    WY
  • What languages do you speak?
    English
    German
    Hebrew
    Spanish

1 Wedding Deal & Discount

• Secular Jewish Interfaith & Irish Weddings 1
    10% discount for WeddingWire couples

• Chester Springs Video Wedding Videographers

We have worked with Joysa on several weddings and she is very easy to work with. Her friendly manner and professional approach put the bride and groom at ease and make for a great ceremony (& video). We hope to work with her again soon. Kevin & Rachele

• Chester Springs Video Wedding Videographers

• 2414 Fox Cross Road Broomall, PA, 19008 See on map
    267-657-3037 (Phone number)
    Location of (Secular Jewish Interfaith & Irish Weddings)