www.banjocats.com, Nashville, TN 37217 Map · Phone number
  • Photos & Videos 19

About Michael and Jennifer McLain & The Banjocats

The warm, natural sound of acoustic music creates the perfect backdrop for precious moments with loved ones. We hope that guests of all ages will enjoy a fresh approach to wedding music with a blend of acoustic bluegrass and similar music.

While guests are being seated before the ceremony we help create a sense that something special is about the happen. Choose from timeless wedding selections such as the Canon in D, beautiful melodies such as Ashokan Farewell, or instrumental hymns on fiddle, mandolin, and acoustic guitar.

Upbeat songs and instrumentals create a festive tone while friends and relatives celebrate and engage in conversation and the newly-weds make their entrance.

The dinner is a perfect time for clean, smooth music on acoustic guitar and fiddle and Jennifer’s sweet, pure voice.

We can pick up the pace at the reception with upbeat bluegrass, acoustic swing, bluegrass gospel, and high energy instrumentals featuring fiddle and banjo. Later in the evening, guests will enjoy dancing to music from Johnny Cash to the Beatles.

Quotes and Awards:

Bluegrass Now magazine: "Jennifer's voice is sweet and pure, even angelic … smoldering guitar leads" Bluegrass Unlimited magazine: "Jennifer absolutely shines … gorgeous guitar work by Michael" Gigmasters Awards: Best of 2018 - 2012 (7 straight years).

Recent Highlights:

2012 - 2019 have been incredible years for us! We were featured on NPR, PBS, and toured the U.S. with shows in 24 states: AL, AR, CO, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MO, MN, MS, NC, ND, NY, OH, PA SC, TN, VA and WV. We were honored to headline concerts and festivals in Glen Saint Mary, FL, Marysville, OH, Marshall, AR, Blountstown, FL, Dallas City, IL, Caruthersville, MO and even had the opportunity to back Justin Rivers (from “The Voice”) at a show in Bowling Green, KY!

Corporate Clients:

Library of Congress (2018 National Meeting), U-Haul, Aramark, Subway, Boy Scouts of America, Passport America, LifePoint Hospitals, Hanel Storage Systems, Graincraft, Insurors of Tennessee, Harry Norman Realtors, Keystone Financial Resources, Pruitt Health, Video Gaming Technologies, R.C. Mathews Contractors, Collegiate Paddlesport Symposium, Univ. of Kentucky, Vanderbilt Univ., Country Music Hall of Fame and the Western Kentucky Dragon Boat Races on the Ohio River in Paducah, KY.

We work with very large, national clients and also small, private functions. We can easily travel to your event of any size. Ask us!

Request a quick, easy bid: https://banjocats.com/hire-us

Bio:

Husband and wife, Michael and Jennifer McLain, both grew up in musical families, are both banjo players, and have been playing together since their first date. Together they have performed in 27 states from New York to California, Canada, and have appeared on the Grand Ole Opry, CMA's Fan Fair, West Point's Eisenhower Hall, Kentucky Educational Television, Iowa Public Television, TNN, CMT, NPR, and the PBS show, Song of the Mountains, which airs on over 180 Public Television outlets across the United States.

Growing up, Michael performed with his family, the McLain Family Band all across the U.S. in 49 states, Mexico, Canada, Japan and Brazil, including concerts at Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, and Chicago's Orchestra Hall. For several years he toured and recorded as part of the Claire Lynch Band as well as with Dale Ann Bradley. He was featured on a CD with Claire Lynch that was nominated for a Grammy. For 13 years, he taught guitar, banjo, mandolin and bluegrass ensemble in the School of Music at Belmont University in Nashville, TN.

A Virginia girl, Jennifer McLain (mandolin, banjo, vocals) was an artist on Pinecastle Records and has recorded as a harmony vocalist for major labels, indie labels and demos in Nashville. She has performed at the Grand Ole Opry, West Point's Eisenhower Hall, CMA's Fan Fair, and on CMT, NPR and PBS.

We would like to hear from you! Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have.

Call Michael @ 615-496-1996

E-mail: michael@banjocats.com

Reviews:

Private Wedding Event at the Loveless Café in Nashville, TN on 1/19/2013
The Banjocats ROCK!!! Michael and Jennifer could not be any sweeter! They are wonderful professional people that truly entertained our out of town guests at our wedding! I highly recommend them for any occasion! THANK YOU WITH LOVE!
- Callie S

Salvus Center Fundraiser in Hendersonville, TN on 5/4/2013
The Banjocats are an AWESOME Bluegrass band and I would highly recommend them to anyone who is considering a Bluegrass band. They were so easy to work with and extremely accommodating on last minute changes we had to make.
- Deborah A

Private Wedding Event in Troy, OH on 08/03/2013
Wow! The Banjocats were amazing. They sounded perfect for my event. They were kind enough to play acoustically downstairs at the venue and then move upstairs for the dancing. People keep asking me about the band and my father-in-law is actually planning on seeing the band play at a local festival! I would highly recommend this band. We had such a good time.
- Leah B

Private Function in Covington, GA on 08/2/2014
CLASS ACT!!! Brilliant Talent! I couldn't offer a higher recommendation to any musical act I've ever seen. Sound, stage, and lighting was perfect. Their performance was joyful, and has truly been refined into an artful expression of classic bluegrass music and southern grace. Michael and Jennifer McLain themselves bring a joy to their music that made our event feel like something very special was being honored. The 50th anniversary party will be one of my family's most fond memories for years to come. Certainly, in great part to the genuine, heartfelt music the Banjocats offered our family. I felt we were VERY lucky to have found them.
- Clinton U

Private Function in Goodlettsville, TN on 08/04/2012
Banjocats have a wonderful blend of talent, sound and personality. Their beautiful music was the highlight of our event. They worked closely with me determining music selection and in every way, made our event absolutely wonderful and memorable. I am still receiving accolades from our guests about the music and everyone asks how I was able to find them. I highly recommend them for whatever occasion you are hosting. They are professional in every way and their sound has a wide appeal. Thank you Banjocats for making my event turn out exactly the way I had hoped.
- Pamela C

Georgia Career Institute – Corporate Event in Columbia, TN on 05/05/2012
Amazing! I'm so glad I got to book them for our event! They were just perfect!
- Michael M

Camp Caesar - Private Function in Cowen, WV on 09/13/2014
What a delightful team! Michael and Jennifer make music that is foot-tapping, hand-clapping good. If you have the opportunity to incorporate this team into your next event, grab it, hang on and enjoy.
Betsy M, Director, Camp Caesar

Private Wedding Reception in Chattanooga, TN on 10/06/2012
The Banjocats were the perfect band for our daughter's Barn wedding and reception. Everyone enjoyed their wonderful bluegrass music throughout the evening. I loved the fact that they were able to play some traditional ceremony music in addition to entertaining the crowd during the reception. Michael handled the details before the wedding so professionally and sent us a CD of various songs they play. I would highly recommend the Banjocats to others!
- Mary A

LifePoint Healthcare - Corporate Event in Nashville, TN on 05/11/2012
I would recommend Michael to anyone looking for bluegrass or country music. I had several of my clients that are not necessarily Bluegrass fans come to me and ask if I would book them for their functions. They were great. Looking forward to the next time.
- Charlie President & CEO CSI Meetings

Scientific Conference Banquet – University of Kentucky in Lexington, KY on 05/16/2013
Our experience with the Banjocats was fantastic. They played at the banquet for our meeting and everyone really enjoyed them. Also, they were very nice and very easy to work with. I would recommend them to anyone.
- Kacie A

Private Wedding Function in Huntsville, AL on 09/04/2010
Michael and Jennifer McLain were a wonderful addition to our wedding. They were true professionals and the music was incredible! I would recommend them to ANYONE!
- Stephen G

Private Wedding Function in Jackson, TN on 06/09/2012
Michael and Jennifer were a wonderful addition to my daughters wedding day. Jennifer learned the grooms favorite song and performed it during the ceremony as a surprise from the bride. They were very professional in appearance, on time and handled all our requests with grace. I would highly recommend them for any event. I thank them for helping us make it a very special day.
- Penelope P

Private Wedding Rehearsal Dinner in Tuscumbia, AL on 05/10/2013
We were delighted with the Banjocats! We loved the music they provided for our rehearsal dinner party and they were extremely professional. If you are looking for some amazing talent and want to spice up your party with some bluegrass music, they will not disappoint! Absolutely loved them and got compliments all night on the music and fun.
- Lisa M

Kentucky Dragon Boat Races in Paducah, KY on 09/22/2012
Perfect performers for the event. Will definitely consider using in the future.
- Mark E

Sounds on Dumont Bluegrass Festival in Scottsville, KY on 09/14/2013
This group was extremely talented and professional to work with. They responded to my requests in a very timely manner, and I wouldn't hesitate to book them again!
- Beth H

Private Wedding Event in Lexington, Ky on 09/13/2013
We hired the Banjocats for a small wedding rehearsal dinner. Mike was great to work with over the phone, accommodating on the time and set up and was waiting and ready to go when we arrived at the location. The music was appropriate, very well performed and fitting for our occasion. We can't thank them enough for being with us on such a special evening, and would not hesitate to call on them again to make an event something special.
- Bill P

Private Function in Birmingham, AL on 09/21/2014
I loved the music and greatly appreciated the way Michael and Jennifer went about their performance as well as all the details to get ready for the evening. So many guests have told me how much they enjoyed the music.
- Marsha G

• Videos 1

16 Reviews for Michael and Jennifer McLain & The Banjocats

• Mrs J

Mrs J · Married on 05/12/2018

If you are looking for beautiful bluegrass music for an event, look no further! Michael and Jennifer and their band were one of the highlights of our wedding this past May. We hired them to be the medications for the whole wedding (ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception). Everyone was enraptured by their lovely music, and we heard nothing but compliments about them all day. They provided the perfect ambiance for our rustic vintage wedding.

Also, these are some of the kindest, most accommodating people to work with! They added so much memorable value to our day when the bassist allowed my 88 year-old grandmother to pluck the strings of his bass--a lifelong dream of hers! She still raves about the experience to this day! Also, Jennifer was kind enough to let our little nephew stand up with her for a song or two as he wanted to sing. They truly are wonderful people and musicians!

Sent on 08/06/2018
  • W

Wendy · Married on 05/30/2015

The ceremony music was lovely, and made me cry. Michael and Jennifer added so much to our cocktail hour. We received many compliments on how beautifully they play. The Banjocats are all very talented and were the perfect choice for both the ceremony and cocktail hour. Their music was a wonderful addition. Having them there made our evening even more special and memorable. I wanted to thank them in this way for the beautiful performance they did for our family and friends at Casey and Alan's wedding in Louisville, KY at Yew Dell Gardens.

Sent on 06/01/2015

Terri · event on 02/28/2015

Michael and Jennifer did an amazing job at my house party. They were able to accommodate my venue and budget; and suggested a paired down version of their full band, to just the two of them and it worked out beautifully. I wanted a more intimate, casual music environment and they delivered exactly the mood I was hoping for; warm, engaging, fun. They took great care to make sure the acoustics were right in my home, and let me participate in the song selection and even learned a special song I wanted for the event. And they are both lovely to work with; pleasant and helpful. I would hire them again in a hearbeat!

Sent on 03/02/2015

Michael and Jennifer McLain & The Banjocats FAQ

• What is the average price for a wedding reception during peak season?
  • What is the average price for a wedding reception during off-peak season?
  • Which of the following are included in the price? Ceremony Music, Learning New Songs, Lighting, Music During Breaks, Reception Music, Sound/PA System, Travel Expenses
  • What is the price of your popular wedding package? $ 2,750.00
  • Which of the following are included in the package? Ceremony Music, Learning New Songs, Lighting, Music During Breaks, Reception Music, Sound/PA System
  • Are you an agency or a band? Band
  • How many musicians are in your band(s)? 1 - 3, 4 - 6
  • What genres of music does (do) your band(s) play? Acoustic, Country, Folk, Gospel, Swing
  • What music services do you provide? Instrumentals, Ceremony Music, Cocktail Hour Music, Learning New Songs, Reception Music, Music During Breaks, Rehearsal Dinner Music, Sample Performances, Vocals, Willing to Travel
  • What items are available? Lighting, Microphones, Sound/PA System

• www.banjocats.com Nashville, TN, 37217 See on map
    615-496-1996 (Phone number)
    Call during the day. Email anytime!