820 Dennis Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20901 Map · Phone number
  • Photos

About Karen Ashbrook

I play the hammered dulcimer, wooden flute and Irish pennywhistle. My husband Paul Oorts plays the beautiful haprguitar (pictured) and button accordion. We play weddings, concerts, receptions, retirement homes and for dancing ( contra, English, French). We also perform with other musicians, usually violin, but also vocalists, harp and piano players. Our core repertoire is traditional music - Celtic, French, Flemish, English as well as Appalachian. We play a lot of 17th and 18th century Irish and French court music, very similar to baroque music.

Follow Karen Ashbrook on

5 Reviews for Karen Ashbrook

I can't say enough about how magical our ceremony and reception were due in large part to the beautiful music provided by the 'Karen Ashbrook Trio'. We were worried that it may be too much to have the same musicians play both venues but they are so talented. Karen and Paul play more than one instrument so the music was so varied, our guests did nothing but rave about how wonderful the musicians were. The ambiance in the Wine Press at Mrs. Ks just made the musical experience that more intimate. They have such a great style range that I highly recommend them for any special event.

Denise · Married on 01/28/2012

Karen was great. She provided different music chioces that I would enjoy at my wedding. She chose the perfect sets to do for each part of the wedding. She alternated between dulcimer and the flute for variety. My husband and I were very pleased.

Rachael · Married on 10/31/2011

We hired Karen Ashbrook, Paul Oorts, and Andrea Hoag as ceremony musicians for our wedding on May 5th and were very pleased with their performance. Our ceremony was in an outdoor, un-amplified space which posed no problems for the group. My husband and I didn't know exactly what kind of music we wanted so Karen and Andrea were very kind to play some tunes for us and have us provide them feedback on what we liked most. The harp guitar, dulcimer, and fiddle were a beautiful combination. I'd highly recommend them if you're looking for something more unique than Pachelbel's cannon in D that is still accessible and fun.

Karen Ashbrook FAQ

• What is the starting price for wedding ceremony music? $ 302.00
  • What ceremony music arrangements can you provide? Instrumental - Solo, Instrumental - Duo, Instrumental - Trio
  • How many musicians are in your band(s)? 1 - 3
  • What instruments does your group play? Flute, Guitar, Harp, Violin
  • What services do you provide? Ceremony Music, Cocktail Hour Music, Music During Breaks, Reception Music, Rehearsal Dinner Music

• 820 Dennis Ave Silver Spring, MD 20901 See on map