Murray Hill

Professionalism
Value
Flexibility
Recently Married

Once we visited this property, we knew instantly this was where we would get married. The property is like a fairytale as soon as you turn onto the gravel road. The manor house is gorgeous and a perfect place for the bride and groom to change clothes and get ready. It made us feel very regal. The ceremony location overlooking the Potomac is breathtaking and provided a cool breeze. The cocktail hour by the courtyard pool was a nice surprise for our guests and a fun spot to start the party. Since it was tucked away behind a garden, it gave me and my husband some privacy to take pictures without being distracted.

The walk through the woods to the barn was so romantic and added to the natural/rustic feel. I do suggest notifying guests of this walk to make sure they have appropriate shoes though. The barn is BY FAR absolutely stunning. I love how you have cover in the event of rain, but you still have fresh air since the entire side is open. There is plenty of space behind the barn for caterers to prep and work. They have brand new bathrooms, which is a huge plus since many other barns have portable restrooms.

Donnie (Donny) deserves a HUGE thank you for overseeing so much on our wedding day. He works at the property and honestly made everything run smoothly. He removed fallen trees, blocked off parking spaces for our grandparents and planners, directed guests as they arrived, helped store items for us that we dropped off while setting up that week, answered all our questions and SO SO SO much more. He did it all with a smile and made the day such a joy for us. His confidence and genuineness put us at ease.

Peggy and John, who own the property, give clear advice and suggestions on how to setup your wedding on the property. They really are a delight to work with and you know you are in good hands working with them.

Our wedding was the most beautiful day of our lives.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I had my wedding at Murray Hill on June 6. Every single aspect of Murray Hill was amazing.

Start with an unbelievably beautiful location with multiple areas to hold parts of the event. Want to exchange your vows on a cliff overlooking the Potomac River? No problem! Cocktails in the garden or by the pool? Why not? Dinner and dancing under twinkly lights in a beautifully restored barn. Go for it!

Then add in how flexible and accommodating the owners, Peggy and John Rust, are. Although Murray Hill is their private home, we were able to come to Murray Hill countless times in the year leading up to the wedding. The Rusts also let you bring supplies/decorations and set up days before the wedding and break down the

Recently Married

Murray Hill is a beautiful venue and I am so glad that we selected it for my daughter's May 2015 wedding. The owners are truly gracious people; it is their home and I believe they take such satisfaction from all the happy events that happen there. Things that are truly great and unique about this venue - A ceremony site on a bluff overlooking the Potomac River, in the shade of towering oaks (there are other good sites, too - but the bluff...so dramatic and beautiful). A roomy converted llama barn, open to an expansive lawn, allowing for the perfect blend of dancing formality, and backyard casual for the reception (think father-daughter dance with a backdrop of corn hole and giant jenga). So many sites on the property for beautiful photographs - gardens, the bluff, the historic home, a pool. My daughter's wedding was absolutely a dream there. There are only a couple cautions I'd have - the property is relatively 'undeveloped' - it's beautiful and natural, but your guests will need to walk unpaved pathways or you will need to arrange to shuttle them between ceremony and reception barn, and the barn is not climate-controlled - so if it's hot outside...you'll have a warm reception! Finally - you'll need to coordinate to rent all the furnishings (tables, chairs), etc. as this venue does not have them. This is also a plus though - you can choose any kind of chairs and tables you want! Get a really good coordinator to handle the details, and enjoy your dream wedding at this beautiful, unique, treasure of a place. Also - wanted to make sure that folks know there are now bathrooms in the barn! (an earlier reviewer had commented that there weren't, but the bathrooms were installed in the spring 2015!)

3.6

Murray Hill is gorgeous and everything I ever wanted in a wedding venue, beautiful setting overlooking the Potomac, lush gardens, fun barn. And the owners are absolutely lovely. There are some drawbacks to this venue though; you have to bring absolutely everything in, and because the owners live there they are very protective of their property. This place is great if you are highly organized, flexible, and creative. I would not change anything about my wedding however it was time consuming having to find ALL of the vendors.
My guests were blown away with the property and could not stop taking pictures, I think it's impossible to have a bad picture at Murray Hill-- again, this place is gorgeous and unlike any of the other venues I looked at.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We feel so incredibly lucky to have found Murray Hill. The property is gorgeous and it is a home, not a wedding mill. Peggy and John were very helpful --- they allowed us to show up (to their home) repeatedly leading up to the wedding and start decorating days before the wedding. They even helped us find a last-minute vendor. The day-of, their property was immaculate for our guests. Peggy even carried my train as I left the house to walk down the aisle. I can't imagine a better venue.

Katherine
11/01/2014

Murray Hill is a lovely, lovely venue! I can't say enough about how beautiful it is. My husband and I married there this fall and the leaves were bursting with color. If you are looking for a beautiful venue that you can make your own, this is your place. John and Peggy, the owners of the property were absolutely lovely! We can't recommended this property and working with John and Peggy enough!

Recently Married

I highly recommend Murray Hill, particularly for a bride that wants a beautiful, unique outdoor wedding with a rustic theme. Peggy the owner was very easy to work with, responsive and offered a lot of great advice for recommended vendors. She offers an elegent bridal room to get ready in which provides a lot of nice "getting ready" pictures. Her husband was also very nice and drove us away in their vintage car after the reception which made for a great send off moment. The barn is great for the reception and is very spacious, which is great for mingling and dancing. One area for improvement would be the bathroom situation; there is no bathroom at the barn; however Peggy worked with us and other brides for the season to work out an arrangement with a trailer restroom service where we split the cost. I would just say it would be nice to include this price in the venue as I think a venue should offer bathrooms included, but that's just my take on it.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The place was beautiful and Peggy was a delight to work with. All our guests raved about the venue's charm! We couldn't have selected a better place to get married.

4.7

I recently had my wedding at Murray Hill, and let me say, after doing a LOT of shopping for venue a year prior, this one completely took the cake with how beautiful it is for a spring/summer wedding. Though it ended up raining on my big day and we had to move the ceremony inside (instead of near the beautiful view of the Potomac river...such a bummer!), we got some absolutely stunning pictures of the bridal party and my groom and I later when it cleared up a bit. There are beautiful gardens as well to have your cocktail hour in, and the barn is perfect for anyone looking for sort of a pintrest-y place to have your wedding. Peggy and John, the owners at Murray Hill, were wonderful throughout the planning process, and were always responsive to emails and questions. They were happy to offer advice on vendors and planning tips, and also were happy to offer anything around the house/farm I wanted to use for my wedding (like two big beautiful wine barrels to mark the ends of my aisle!). Essentially, the only reason they are not a perfect score is that for value, because most things aren't included (restrooms, tables, chairs, etc..) things end up adding up quick. They do throw in a bonus though of having John drive you away in a 1954 Cadillac limousine, however, which was pretty fantastic. Overall, a GREAT place to have your wedding, so definitely go visit!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Peggy was amazing and the site is beautiful! This wonderful long driveway up to a beautiful stone mansion! I got married and had my reception in the barn and the amount of work Peggy and her team put in was amazing. It rained for an entire week before wedding day and everything was very muddy but they put down stuff to soak up the water so cars could get in and maintained it. I am so thankful to you Peggy and your husband for all the hard work you guys did to make my big day special! Thank you!!!

09/28/2013

Murray Hill was phenomenal. All my guests were so impressed with the venue! And Peggy and John Rust are wonderful to work with!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We loved Murray Hill. We were married on the bluff next to the beautiful stone house on the Potomac. We had cocktail hour in the gorgeous, understated gardens before heading to the barn for the reception. We have had so many people tell us that the venue was "amazing," "stunning," "a vision," and "perfect." Everyone loved the view of the Potomac, the gorgeous pool in the garden, and the open barn. We loved that we were able to incorporate three diverse locations into one great evening.

Peggy and John were incredibly accommodating. The wedding planning experience was pretty hectic, and it made such a difference that we were able to come out to the site a few times to plan, come out early to decorate, come back the next day to clean up, etc. All of the other venues we considered wouldn't allow us to start decorating until the morning of, and we would have had to tear down immediately afterward. My parents, husband, and I really appreciated the opportunity to fully enjoy the day!

It was a wonderful wedding at a stunning venue!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Murray Hill is gorgeous. We still hear from guests who can not get over how beautiful and unique the venue was. We got married over looking the Potomac and our cocktail hour was across the way in the garden. Our reception was in the barn and once it was all set up it looked fantastic. It's beyond words how beautiful and perfect Murray Hill was for our wedding. The pictures turned out amazing. And Peggy and John were easy to work with and without them we wouldn't have the wedding we wanted.

4.2

This is a gorgeous venue! We could not have picked a better place to hold our wedding. The whole experience was really wonderful. The owners and staff are absolutely professional but are also incredibly warm and family-like. The grounds are well kept and beautiful, as is the house. There are a ton of ways to use the property, but I highly recommend how we did it: ceremony overlooking the river by the house, cocktail hour next to the pool and then reception in the barn. I absolutely recommend this venue!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Murray Hill is a beautiful site for a wedding or any event overlooking the Potomac River. Working with Peggy and John at Murray Hill was wonderful. They were very responsive to questions and willing to work with us. The site has many options for the wedding and reception. We had the ceremony overlooking the river next to the house and the reception in the barn. The site is so beautiful that we did not need decorations for the ceremony site only chairs for guests to sit. Similar the barn setting was very natural and required few decorations. I would highly recommend Murray Hill and Peggy for a perfect wedding location.

Maddison
05/18/2013

Murray Hill provided the perfect backdrop for the wedding we envisioned: a big Italian dinner party in the Virginia countryside. Not only are the views over the Potomac just gorgeous, but so is the house, the barn, the gardens, the pool, the flowers....The Rusts have done an immaculate job at making their estate one of the most beautiful wedding venues around. Not only was Murray Hill the perfect venue to have our wedding, but the Rusts were really great to work with and made sure that we had no unanswered questions or concerns during the planning process. We chose to have our wedding ceremony on the lawn outside the house, a cocktail hour in the gardens near the pool and then parade to the barn for dinner and dancing. Our guests just loved the progression place to place and enjoyed seeing all of Murray Hill's wonderful property. Really, Murray Hill is the perfect place to have an elegant outdoor wedding with lots of charm. Thank you Rust family for providing such a lovely place for us to host our wedding!