Murray Hill

Responsiveness
Professionalism
Value
Flexibility

I had my wedding at Murray Hill on June 6. Every single aspect of Murray Hill was amazing.

Start with an unbelievably beautiful location with multiple areas to hold parts of the event. Want to exchange your vows on a cliff overlooking the Potomac River? No problem! Cocktails in the garden or by the pool? Why not? Dinner and dancing under twinkly lights in a beautifully restored barn. Go for it!

Then add in how flexible and accommodating the owners, Peggy and John Rust, are. Although Murray Hill is their private home, we were able to come to Murray Hill countless times in the year leading up to the wedding. The Rusts also let you bring supplies/decorations and set up days before the wedding and break down the

3.6

Murray Hill is gorgeous and everything I ever wanted in a wedding venue, beautiful setting overlooking the Potomac, lush gardens, fun barn. And the owners are absolutely lovely. There are some drawbacks to this venue though; you have to bring absolutely everything in, and because the owners live there they are very protective of their property. This place is great if you are highly organized, flexible, and creative. I would not change anything about my wedding however it was time consuming having to find ALL of the vendors.
My guests were blown away with the property and could not stop taking pictures, I think it's impossible to have a bad picture at Murray Hill-- again, this place is gorgeous and unlike any of the other venues I looked at.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We feel so incredibly lucky to have found Murray Hill. The property is gorgeous and it is a home, not a wedding mill. Peggy and John were very helpful --- they allowed us to show up (to their home) repeatedly leading up to the wedding and start decorating days before the wedding. They even helped us find a last-minute vendor. The day-of, their property was immaculate for our guests. Peggy even carried my train as I left the house to walk down the aisle. I can't imagine a better venue.

Katherine
11/01/2014

Murray Hill is a lovely, lovely venue! I can't say enough about how beautiful it is. My husband and I married there this fall and the leaves were bursting with color. If you are looking for a beautiful venue that you can make your own, this is your place. John and Peggy, the owners of the property were absolutely lovely! We can't recommended this property and working with John and Peggy enough!

Private User
Recently Married

I highly recommend Murray Hill, particularly for a bride that wants a beautiful, unique outdoor wedding with a rustic theme. Peggy the owner was very easy to work with, responsive and offered a lot of great advice for recommended vendors. She offers an elegent bridal room to get ready in which provides a lot of nice "getting ready" pictures. Her husband was also very nice and drove us away in their vintage car after the reception which made for a great send off moment. The barn is great for the reception and is very spacious, which is great for mingling and dancing. One area for improvement would be the bathroom situation; there is no bathroom at the barn; however Peggy worked with us and other brides for the season to work out an arrangement with a trailer restroom service where we split the cost. I would just say it would be nice to include this price in the venue as I think a venue should offer bathrooms included, but that's just my take on it.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The place was beautiful and Peggy was a delight to work with. All our guests raved about the venue's charm! We couldn't have selected a better place to get married.

4.7

I recently had my wedding at Murray Hill, and let me say, after doing a LOT of shopping for venue a year prior, this one completely took the cake with how beautiful it is for a spring/summer wedding. Though it ended up raining on my big day and we had to move the ceremony inside (instead of near the beautiful view of the Potomac river...such a bummer!), we got some absolutely stunning pictures of the bridal party and my groom and I later when it cleared up a bit. There are beautiful gardens as well to have your cocktail hour in, and the barn is perfect for anyone looking for sort of a pintrest-y place to have your wedding. Peggy and John, the owners at Murray Hill, were wonderful throughout the planning process, and were always responsive to emails and questions. They were happy to offer advice on vendors and planning tips, and also were happy to offer anything around the house/farm I wanted to use for my wedding (like two big beautiful wine barrels to mark the ends of my aisle!). Essentially, the only reason they are not a perfect score is that for value, because most things aren't included (restrooms, tables, chairs, etc..) things end up adding up quick. They do throw in a bonus though of having John drive you away in a 1954 Cadillac limousine, however, which was pretty fantastic. Overall, a GREAT place to have your wedding, so definitely go visit!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Peggy was amazing and the site is beautiful! This wonderful long driveway up to a beautiful stone mansion! I got married and had my reception in the barn and the amount of work Peggy and her team put in was amazing. It rained for an entire week before wedding day and everything was very muddy but they put down stuff to soak up the water so cars could get in and maintained it. I am so thankful to you Peggy and your husband for all the hard work you guys did to make my big day special! Thank you!!!

Private User
09/28/2013

Murray Hill was phenomenal. All my guests were so impressed with the venue! And Peggy and John Rust are wonderful to work with!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We loved Murray Hill. We were married on the bluff next to the beautiful stone house on the Potomac. We had cocktail hour in the gorgeous, understated gardens before heading to the barn for the reception. We have had so many people tell us that the venue was "amazing," "stunning," "a vision," and "perfect." Everyone loved the view of the Potomac, the gorgeous pool in the garden, and the open barn. We loved that we were able to incorporate three diverse locations into one great evening.

Peggy and John were incredibly accommodating. The wedding planning experience was pretty hectic, and it made such a difference that we were able to come out to the site a few times to plan, come out early to decorate, come back the next day to clean up, etc. All of the other venues we considered wouldn't allow us to start decorating until the morning of, and we would have had to tear down immediately afterward. My parents, husband, and I really appreciated the opportunity to fully enjoy the day!

It was a wonderful wedding at a stunning venue!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Murray Hill is gorgeous. We still hear from guests who can not get over how beautiful and unique the venue was. We got married over looking the Potomac and our cocktail hour was across the way in the garden. Our reception was in the barn and once it was all set up it looked fantastic. It's beyond words how beautiful and perfect Murray Hill was for our wedding. The pictures turned out amazing. And Peggy and John were easy to work with and without them we wouldn't have the wedding we wanted.

4.2

This is a gorgeous venue! We could not have picked a better place to hold our wedding. The whole experience was really wonderful. The owners and staff are absolutely professional but are also incredibly warm and family-like. The grounds are well kept and beautiful, as is the house. There are a ton of ways to use the property, but I highly recommend how we did it: ceremony overlooking the river by the house, cocktail hour next to the pool and then reception in the barn. I absolutely recommend this venue!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Murray Hill is a beautiful site for a wedding or any event overlooking the Potomac River. Working with Peggy and John at Murray Hill was wonderful. They were very responsive to questions and willing to work with us. The site has many options for the wedding and reception. We had the ceremony overlooking the river next to the house and the reception in the barn. The site is so beautiful that we did not need decorations for the ceremony site only chairs for guests to sit. Similar the barn setting was very natural and required few decorations. I would highly recommend Murray Hill and Peggy for a perfect wedding location.

Maddison
05/18/2013

Murray Hill provided the perfect backdrop for the wedding we envisioned: a big Italian dinner party in the Virginia countryside. Not only are the views over the Potomac just gorgeous, but so is the house, the barn, the gardens, the pool, the flowers....The Rusts have done an immaculate job at making their estate one of the most beautiful wedding venues around. Not only was Murray Hill the perfect venue to have our wedding, but the Rusts were really great to work with and made sure that we had no unanswered questions or concerns during the planning process. We chose to have our wedding ceremony on the lawn outside the house, a cocktail hour in the gardens near the pool and then parade to the barn for dinner and dancing. Our guests just loved the progression place to place and enjoyed seeing all of Murray Hill's wonderful property. Really, Murray Hill is the perfect place to have an elegant outdoor wedding with lots of charm. Thank you Rust family for providing such a lovely place for us to host our wedding!

Eleanor
05/04/2013

This is a private estate which is open for weddings on the weekend. It was honestly a pleasure to work with the owners. They were excited about the wedding and wanted to make sure their house and property worked for the event. The were flexible and very accommodating. They even moved horses into a nearby field because I wanted there to be some pictures of them. They were there whenever we went buy to view the estate prior to the wedding and they were very helpful. They also provided recommendations based off of past experiences with all their numerous weddings. All of my vendors also loved working with them because they are so flexible and helpful. I am really glad that we found this gem. Their website does not give them justice. I would see the place in person.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Murray Hill is a breathtaking property situated on a bluff on the Potomac River. We had our ceremony and cocktail hour on the bluff outside and the reception in the recently restored barn, absolutely beautiful. A few cons, my bridal suite had to be cleared out immediately after the ceremony which was stressful to me and my bridal party, I was told sparklers were a no no except for the bridal party at the reception while we were doing the final walk through after I had spent $ (for 80 people) on sparklers/personalized matches and planning the sparkler send off, they were also mysteriously not put out for the reception so now I have 80 matchbooks that Im not sure what to do with. I also had to rent a Don John in additon to 1 bathroom in the barn which was totally fine (I had gone over with the venue manager that women would use the indoor bathroom and men would use the Don John) but the venue manager was ushering women standing in line for the indoor bathroom to the use the Don John outside. And finally one of my guests fell and scraped her knee leaving the barn because the lights had been turned off outside for some reason. Overall there were no major snafus and I am satisfied with the experience.