We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Leonormorrow
Dedicated September 2020

ssn Name Change during Covid?

Leonormorrow, on September 23, 2020 at 1:21 PM Posted in Married Life 0 12
Saved Save
I called the Social Security office to send in my documents for name change. They said I need to mail copies of my original documents and I will get them back soon. Does anyone know or can recommend the best way to do this? I don’t want to just send my passport in the mail but all the offices are closed.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Marabeth, on September 24, 2020 at 3:12 AM
  • Julie
    VIP February 2020
    Julie ·
    • Flag
    Send it certified maybe? Maybe through UPS or FedEx, because the usps system is so bogged down. You pay more, but I think it's worth it for peace of mind. Also, I got married the last weekend before they announced shut downs, so my maiden hame is used roughly half of places (bank, school, Dr)
  • Renay
    Devoted April 2020
    Renay ·
    • Flag

I just dropped my stuff in the mail this morning. (I had to wait for our honeymoon due to travel documents in maiden name). I used my drivers license because I did not want to spend the money on postage to mail my passport. I was a little leery, but I have pretty good faith in our postal service around here. I also figured as soon as they approve the name change, I am going to need a new DL anyway, so if I lose it, oh well.

• Kathryn
    Rockstar August 2020
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag
    I sent mine certified. Not a comfy feeling, but I want to get the name change done when I renew my license and I need my ss done. I also sent everything in a first class manilla envelope. At this point, who knows when things will be open? You could also get insurance for it to make sure it gets to them.
  • L
    Expert September 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    Send it certified. My post office let me do it that way, plus I selected the priority mail option which gave me a tracking number. It only cost $10 but to me that was worth it so I wont worry they lost it in the mail
  • Givemeallthepups
    Expert February 2020
    Givemeallthepups ·
    • Flag
    Our SSO recommended sending via certified mail along with a pre-paid and addressed certified envelope for them to mail the items back to you.
  • Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    I mailed mine through usps with a tracking number. First did fedex which didn’t work because they always said the office was closed so no one could sign for it.
  • Anna
    VIP October 2020
    Anna ·
    • Flag
    I had to send my passport through the mail years ago in order to get a travel visa for Bangladesh. I was super worried, but it went and came back just fine.
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    That’s definitely the process. Try using certified mail or something with tracking if you’re worried
  • Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    I know a manager of an SS office. Sending a form of ID is not necessary she told me just send a certified copy of your license.
  • Leonormorrow
    Dedicated September 2020
    Leonormorrow ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh thanks for this! Do you know if I can send the original copy of the certificate I have (which I’ll get back), or does it need to be a certified copy?
  • Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It has to be a certified copy.
  • Marabeth
    Devoted September 2021
    Marabeth ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I would call your local office and ask what they require. My local office required a photo ID and a certified copy along with the form from their website. I sent it in the express mail envelopes that USPS provides.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles